F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New 340 Xdrive
Extreme Powerhouse

08-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #1
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

New 340 Xdrive

Hi Folks!

My 335Xdrive is up for lease and I am ready to order a 16 340xdrive. Few things...

1. Can you get a black interior on the NON M sports with black leather and no red stitch? If yes, do you still have to get a red stitch on the steering wheel?

2. The manual now has rev match. Is that a nicer feature than the old 2012-2015? I had an automatic but this fascinates me.

3. What do the new wheels look like? On line config not up yet.

4. Can you get the M adaptive track pack and get all season rims? Or M adaptive like 2015?

Anyone finding it hard to order based on reading the options on the press release?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 06:10 PM   #2
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Have you checked the 340i announcement threads? They're usually stickied somewhere and have the entire list of available options and how the vehicle can be ordered.
      08-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

See http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1132635

There's a demo version of the configurator some folks have stumbled on, but it's buggy and inaccurate. Better to just check with your dealer, since they can run through actual builds and validate combinations/prices.

UPDATE: I just took a look again (first time in a couple of weeks), and it looks like the demo site is far more polished/accurate now in terms of the build. Here's the link for the 340: http://demo1.bmwusa.com/standard/con...modelcode=163Z

Last edited by NightWriter; 08-03-2015 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 03:51 AM   #4
bucknutz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
Hi Folks!

My 335Xdrive is up for lease and I am ready to order a 16 340xdrive. Few things...

1. Can you get a black interior on the NON M sports with black leather and no red stitch? If yes, do you still have to get a red stitch on the steering wheel?

2. The manual now has rev match. Is that a nicer feature than the old 2012-2015? I had an automatic but this fascinates me.

3. What do the new wheels look like? On line config not up yet.

4. Can you get the M adaptive track pack and get all season rims? Or M adaptive like 2015?

Anyone finding it hard to order based on reading the options on the press release?
1. To get rid of red stitching you have to get the luxury or m sport package since the sport line is now standard.

2. No idea, I have an auto.

3. The wheels are pretty much the same. If you go with the track package, then you get the orbit grey 18s on summers or two other 19s for $900.

4. You can't do all seasons and the track package. You can get the adaptive suspension as a standalone option though if you go m sport.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #5
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknutz View Post
1. To get rid of red stitching you have to get the luxury or m sport package since the sport line is now standard.

2. No idea, I have an auto.

3. The wheels are pretty much the same. If you go with the track package, then you get the orbit grey 18s on summers or two other 19s for $900.

4. You can't do all seasons and the track package. You can get the adaptive suspension as a standalone option though if you go m sport.
I already MISS the base model. Where Red Stitching was never an option.

And I miss the dynamic handling pack where all seasons where an option on Xdrive!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #6
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
See http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1132635

There's a demo version of the configurator some folks have stumbled on, but it's buggy and inaccurate. Better to just check with your dealer, since they can run through actual builds and validate combinations/prices.

UPDATE: I just took a look again (first time in a couple of weeks), and it looks like the demo site is far more polished/accurate now in terms of the build. Here's the link for the 340: http://demo1.bmwusa.com/standard/con...modelcode=163Z
Thanks,

Still in shock here that M adaptive now requires a track package with summer tires. What if you live in a snowy climate and need all seasons (yes I realize you can buy snow tires, but its a pain and you need a set of rims since run flats are impossible to remove).
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 02:31 PM   #7
Boondoggler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G01 LCI X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks,

Still in shock here that M adaptive now requires a track package with summer tires. What if you live in a snowy climate and need all seasons (yes I realize you can buy snow tires, but its a pain and you need a set of rims since run flats are impossible to remove).
The M-Sport package ($2600) gives you what you want: black leather no red stitching, and you can add the adaptive M suspension ($700) with 18" all seasons. That appears to be the only way to get the adaptive M suspension ($700) with 18" all seasons.
      08-04-2015, 07:38 PM   #8
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

Boon is correct. Personally, I opted for the track package and will be getting a winter wheel/tire package. For $1600 or so, I'll get superior winter traction (and superior in the summer with the pilot super sports), longer read life on the summers, and a visual break from the dark 398 wheels
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2015, 12:56 AM   #9
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Thanks,

Because if you live in a proper snowy climate and actually want to drive in it, you'll want winter tires. My buddies in all-seasons were struggling in Snowmageddon this past winter while I was happily cruisin' on winters. You also don't need a second set of rims if you're getting a shop to mount them for you, which, most people will if they're also getting their wheels balanced and aligned (which they should if they're changing tires).

All-seasons are for climates where you see mostly summer/fall/spring throughout the year, and then snow less than a month.
      08-05-2015, 05:43 AM   #10
EJL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Thanks,

You can get a set of wheels pretty cheap here on the forum if you look in the for sale section. I had an e90 335d with snows during the really bad snow storms a few years back and had zero issues. The F30 328xi I have now with all seasons did not fare nearly as well the past few winters. It survived, winter tires make a huge difference for not a huge amount of money.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 09:17 PM   #11
Boondoggler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G01 LCI X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJL View Post
You can get a set of wheels pretty cheap here on the forum if you look in the for sale section. I had an e90 335d with snows during the really bad snow storms a few years back and had zero issues. The F30 328xi I have now with all seasons did not fare nearly as well the past few winters. It survived, winter tires make a huge difference for not a huge amount of money.
OP - While my earlier post was meant to help you build what you were looking for, I agree with the posters that are recommending dedicated winter wheels/tires over all seasons. I have run a dedicated set of winter rims/michelin alpins on both of my RWD 3 Series and they've been good in the snow with traction control. I'm convinced the combination of X-Drive and dedicated winter wheels will be great. You can get a good winter wheel/tire setup for south of $2kUSD, well worth the investment.
      08-07-2015, 12:22 AM   #12
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Thanks,

This is a good point.

Now that I live in a truly snowy climate, I see how worthless all seasons are (in my location). I'd advise against them for most of the cold northern states and people that live in perpetually snowy areas like Tahoe, Aspen and various Colorado communities, upper Northeast states, etc. The thing is, these places get snow and cold temperatures (ice) frequently enough to render all seasons nearly worthless compared to real ice tires or studded tires. In these locales, studded tires are common, and are generally the most secure and safest way of dealing with the winter. Studdless ice-tires are seeing some decent success on some cars too, but in any case, when you live in a place that is wintery enough to necessitate real winter tires (blizzaks or studded tires), you might as well go for full summer performance tires during the summer, rather than have marginal summer and winter handling on one set of tires. You get the use out of both sets of tires and much better/safer handling.

I ran studded tires on my awd mercedes last winter and it was a revelation for handling, braking, etc.

Slush and snow that is gone in a day or so isn't of major concern. Even in high altitude places like Flagstaff the snow sublimates away so fast that it never sticks around on roads and in warmer climates that get snow like the Sierra foothills it warms up after the snow and melts fast thereafter. These are the places where all seasons work or where they'll get you up/down the mountain pass during the snowstorm (because fresh snow often has great traction compared to glare ice and very packed snow). These are sometimes the places where you don't really need AWD either, but it is often pushed because they get snow like 5 times a winter.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 08:02 AM   #13
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggler View Post
The M-Sport package ($2600) gives you what you want: black leather no red stitching, and you can add the adaptive M suspension ($700) with 18" all seasons. That appears to be the only way to get the adaptive M suspension ($700) with 18" all seasons.
I've always been one to enjoy the original design of the car and never adopted "m" sport.

But its looking like I might have to adopt it very soon, or go to the SLOWER 535i to get a more traditional look.

No offence to those loving the red stitch, but it just never suited me. My loaded base was a nice compromise. Looks like BMW is up to the old antics again pushing the Sportline on us now as standard stuff.

Even the back bumper with its black stripe is less clean than the outgoing base car...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 08:03 AM   #14
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Boon is correct. Personally, I opted for the track package and will be getting a winter wheel/tire package. For $1600 or so, I'll get superior winter traction (and superior in the summer with the pilot super sports), longer read life on the summers, and a visual break from the dark 398 wheels
Good Point... but on a lease, buying a set up rims and tires seems counter productive? Safe though...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 08:04 AM   #15
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versipellis View Post
Because if you live in a proper snowy climate and actually want to drive in it, you'll want winter tires. My buddies in all-seasons were struggling in Snowmageddon this past winter while I was happily cruisin' on winters. You also don't need a second set of rims if you're getting a shop to mount them for you, which, most people will if they're also getting their wheels balanced and aligned (which they should if they're changing tires).

All-seasons are for climates where you see mostly summer/fall/spring throughout the year, and then snow less than a month.
I totally disagree... if you have to remove runflats, its a freaking nightmare.

BUT... those new Gray Rims... did I read NON RUNFLAT? Is that true?

Those are easier to remove for sure.

But a runflat removal is difficult for any tire place.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 08:07 AM   #16
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
This is a good point.

Now that I live in a truly snowy climate, I see how worthless all seasons are (in my location). I'd advise against them for most of the cold northern states and people that live in perpetually snowy areas like Tahoe, Aspen and various Colorado communities, upper Northeast states, etc. The thing is, these places get snow and cold temperatures (ice) frequently enough to render all seasons nearly worthless compared to real ice tires or studded tires. In these locales, studded tires are common, and are generally the most secure and safest way of dealing with the winter. Studdless ice-tires are seeing some decent success on some cars too, but in any case, when you live in a place that is wintery enough to necessitate real winter tires (blizzaks or studded tires), you might as well go for full summer performance tires during the summer, rather than have marginal summer and winter handling on one set of tires. You get the use out of both sets of tires and much better/safer handling.

I ran studded tires on my awd mercedes last winter and it was a revelation for handling, braking, etc.

Slush and snow that is gone in a day or so isn't of major concern. Even in high altitude places like Flagstaff the snow sublimates away so fast that it never sticks around on roads and in warmer climates that get snow like the Sierra foothills it warms up after the snow and melts fast thereafter. These are the places where all seasons work or where they'll get you up/down the mountain pass during the snowstorm (because fresh snow often has great traction compared to glare ice and very packed snow). These are sometimes the places where you don't really need AWD either, but it is often pushed because they get snow like 5 times a winter.
ALL Seasons and AWD suited me fine in the worst winter on record. Sure its not quite as good, but the 18s are a cheap replacement too...

I agree with all about the winter set up. But back to BMW and not giving us a base to work with. I miss the days of the e90 options. You used to build upon a great car. Now its presented.

Again the out going 5 series is more a la carte. Not much. I just love the size of the 340, its a perfect blend.

Anyone have some nice pictures of M sport to change my mind?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 08:22 AM   #17
Tim@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknutz View Post
It's funny since up here in the Great White North, I've seen several 2015 Sport Lines optioned with Black Leather and the Luxury Line (white) stitching. 2016 LCIs here also come standard with normal LCSW Black Leather, while LCL3 Black Leather with Red Stitching is a no-cost option. Then again that's applicable to the 328 here, since the 340 is standard with M-Sport Line in Canada.

Last edited by Tim@codemybimmer; 08-10-2015 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 09:47 AM   #18
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Good Point... but on a lease, buying a set up rims and tires seems counter productive? Safe though...
Yes, but:

1) It's still three winters, so ~$600/winter. If winter shoes gets me to work safely on, say, 10 days each year, that's money well spent in my opinion.

2) Depending on how quickly the PSS's wear, using the winter tires may extend their life so that I don't need to get new summer tires before the end of the lease, which would save ~$1000.

3) If I end up leasing another 3-series in 2018, there's at least a decent chance the same winter wheels will fit as well. Or I can most likely sell them.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 02:55 PM   #19
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but:

1) It's still three winters, so ~$600/winter. If winter shoes gets me to work safely on, say, 10 days each year, that's money well spent in my opinion.

2) Depending on how quickly the PSS's wear, using the winter tires may extend their life so that I don't need to get new summer tires before the end of the lease, which would save ~$1000.

3) If I end up leasing another 3-series in 2018, there's at least a decent chance the same winter wheels will fit as well. Or I can most likely sell them.
Yes but you are leaving out a VERY important part of the winter set up... you need 4 rims. You cant keep switching out the runflats each season because they are extremely difficult to take off. And you are not factoring in the cost of removing the 4 tires and popping them back on. That's if you don't scratch the wheel doing this.

Its pricy and its the reason few take advantage.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 04:23 PM   #20
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes but you are leaving out a VERY important part of the winter set up... you need 4 rims. You cant keep switching out the runflats each season because they are extremely difficult to take off. And you are not factoring in the cost of removing the 4 tires and popping them back on. That's if you don't scratch the wheel doing this.

Yup, which is why I intend to buy the wheel + tire package from TireRack; You can get 18" wheels for relatively cheap ($150/wheel), which would save on all the re-mounting costs. (Not to mention not having to go to a tire place; I can do it myself one evening.) Sure, it's an investment for a lease, but I was including that in my $1500 estimate, and at the end I'll either be able to sell them or re-use them. The only downside is finding more room in my garage to store them
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 03:08 AM   #21
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:

Read my post again. I'm not advocating for runflats. I'm advocating for two sets of wheels - summers and winters.
      08-13-2015, 08:22 AM   #22
redwing497
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None yet

Am I seeing this correctly? You cannot select 19" wheels without having to add the track package? I want an M Sport with M Adaptive and 442 style wheels and it keeps adding the track pack to the build.

EDIT: So it looks like I can add the 403M style 19" wheels without having to add the track package. I like the 442 better, though. Seems ridiculous that you can't get them without the track package

Last edited by redwing497; 08-13-2015 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0