F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > My under warranty car fire and BMW Customer relations response
Extreme Powerhouse

12-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #67
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i modern line

OP stated that BMW couldn`t identified the reason they never had told him that it is not their fault.

Think you car is broken under warranty you take it to dealer, they tell you that they can`t identify the problem and they refuse to repair under warranty. What would you say?

If they are refusing to pay under warranty they need to give some reason. In this case Bmw at least owes an answer to the OP. With this logic BMW could simply avoid all the warranty claims, they can say they couldn`t find a proof showing that it is manufacturer defect.
      12-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #68
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayir View Post
OP stated that BMW couldn`t identified the reason they never had told him that it is not their fault.

Think you car is broken under warranty you take it to dealer, they tell you that they can`t identify the problem and they refuse to repair under warranty. What would you say?

If they are refusing to pay under warranty they need to give some reason. In this case Bmw at least owes an answer to the OP. With this logic BMW could simply avoid all the warranty claims, they can say they couldn`t find a proof showing that it is manufacturer defect.
^ Untrue

Let's say you take in a car to a dealership, and the engine belt is loose, or a part is worn out or broken, or your transmission snapped. That's an identifiable problem with a covered part, and they'll repair it under warranty.

But if you take it in, and they find say you poured chocolate syrup in the oil receptacle causing it to fail. This will NOT be covered by warranty.

If you take a car in claiming there is a problem, but that problem cannot be isolated or replicated, what does the dealership do? Turn you away.

In this case neither insurance company nor BMW could find any evidence suggesting it was a mechanical failure (IE sth covered by warranty) and not say, negligence, improper repair, or act of nature. Therefore, BMW owes OP nothing.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #69
tuned2ride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, S5 SB, looking for a M340

OP is definitely disconnected, unrealistic and unreasonable. Unless he really believe in Santa Claus.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #70
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Hey, Santa is real.

And there needs to be some sort of rudementary intelligence test that prospective forum members must pass before they can post. There's a whole lot of stupid in this thread. Either all of these folks are twelve, or they've never lived a single day on their own to learn how the world (and business) works.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - this forum is damn entertaining. Crappy analogies. Horrible math. Warped logic. So much win!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #71
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
^ Untrue

Let's say you take in a car to a dealership, and the engine belt is loose, or a part is worn out or broken, or your transmission snapped. That's an identifiable problem with a covered part, and they'll repair it under warranty.

But if you take it in, and they find say you poured chocolate syrup in the oil receptacle causing it to fail. This will NOT be covered by warranty.

If you take a car in claiming there is a problem, but that problem cannot be isolated or replicated, what does the dealership do? Turn you away.

In this case neither insurance company nor BMW could find any evidence suggesting it was a mechanical failure (IE sth covered by warranty) and not say, negligence, improper repair, or act of nature. Therefore, BMW owes OP nothing.
In your example you say that BMW gives you a reason to show that it is not that responsibility(i.e: the chocolote syrup.) This is the answer I am ralking about. They need a reason to deny a claim.

In OP`s story BMW says they don`t know the reason for the problem.

If you got your car towed into the dealer and BMW says you that they don`t know what caused the problem so they won`t repair it. What would you do? Wouldn`t you ask for the reason?
      12-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #72
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
In your example you say that BMW gives you a reason to show that it is not that responsibility(i.e: the chocolote syrup.) This is the answer I am ralking about. They need a reason to deny a claim.

In OP`s story BMW says they don`t know the reason for the problem.

If you got your car towed into the dealer and BMW says you that they don`t know what caused the problem so they won`t repair it. What would you do? Wouldn`t you ask for the reason?
In any other case, the car still physically exists, so at most they'll replace the entire section that is malfunctioning (IE seat doesn't work, they dunno why, they'll just put in a new seat).

In this case, the whole front of the car's gone. Now, at most, BMW would be required to replace your car with a similar make/model/year/mileage (think about it, if your engine breaks, they'll at most replace that, not give you a new car). But insurance already stepped in and paid for a comparable car. OP is dissatisfied and wants upgrade. That's unreasonable.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #73
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
In any other case, the car still physically exists, so at most they'll replace the entire section that is malfunctioning (IE seat doesn't work, they dunno why, they'll just put in a new seat).

In this case, the whole front of the car's gone. Now, at most, BMW would be required to replace your car with a similar make/model/year/mileage (think about it, if your engine breaks, they'll at most replace that, not give you a new car). But insurance already stepped in and paid for a comparable car. OP is dissatisfied and wants upgrade. That's unreasonable.
I never said that bmw should give a new car. You are right the result for OP wouldn`t change a lot if BMw pays or insurance pays. most likely he would get the same amount. May be some insurance rate savings possible.
      12-18-2012, 12:22 AM   #74
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wins76
So if people have different opinion than yours, you call them poor judgment and poor taste? ha...you are funny.
Different opinion? Seriously? You really think you made an appropriate analogy, accidental car fire to brutal murder of innocent children???

Why hasn't this moron been banned yet?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #75
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Different opinion? Seriously? You really think you made an appropriate analogy, accidental car fire to brutal murder of innocent children???

Why hasn't this moron been banned yet?
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #76
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

I wonder what the OP's thoughts are at this point? He has been pretty quiet in his thread. I would be interested if he still feels strongly that he was wronged or if his opinion shifted after reading the comments in this thread.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #77
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I wonder what the OP's thoughts are at this point? He has been pretty quiet in his thread. I would be interested if he still feels strongly that he was wronged or if his opinion shifted after reading the comments in this thread.
OP came expecting us all to sympathize with him and say how stupid BMW was and how right he is. Once he realized that's not the case he disappeared, probably to post the same rant on other boards to try to get sympathy.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #78
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Why are some people on this board so hostile to the OP?

Let's just say, the OP concluded that he may have been wrong. I am not saying he changed his view. But, let us say he was enlightened.

Why do some on this board feel the need to rip the OP a new one? Why is it so unreasonable to fathom that some of our discussion here opened his eyes?

If true, then why are some making disparaging remarks about the OP? This is tantamount to bullying.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #79
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Why do some on this board feel the need to rip the OP a new one?
Because people with unrealistic expectations makes things difficult for the rest of us, when we find ourselves in similar situations.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #80
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS
Quote:
Why do some on this board feel the need to rip the OP a new one?
Because people with unrealistic expectations makes things difficult for the rest of us, when we find ourselves in similar situations.

Perhaps. But, how can you learn and grow from others when they are downright nasty.

Is this a place to share ideas, or is it a one way street where anyone that doesn't have the knowledge they are seeking is belittled, harangued, and made to feel inferior.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #81
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wins76 View Post
So you don't think that fire would kill him if he stay minutes longer? How about when he dies, BMW just gives his family $7500?
We're talking about an adult here. He made the choice to buy the car. Plus he can make a decision to bail and save himself. In my 23 years as a state trooper, I have yet to see anyone die from an engine fire. Those 20 kids didn't chose to be killed by some maniac. He's going to be home for Christmas. Those kids aren't. Get your priorities straight. You can't begin to compare this to the mess some 20 year old asswipe did.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #82
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Perhaps. But, how can you learn and grow from others when they are downright nasty.

Is this a place to share ideas, or is it a one way street where anyone that doesn't have the knowledge they are seeking is belittled, harangued, and made to feel inferior.
I don't advocate any nastiness. Just realistic expectations.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #83
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 335i M-Sport EB-II

Quote:

+1
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #84
1.fresh.f30.335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xdrive M-Sport

Just saying... Had an Audi A6 3.2 that went through two motors before 45k and they gave 40k off sticker on a A8L brand new...

To the OP: they won't pay you for depreciation, time and anguish yes but the car was 40k miles old you won't get a full brand new call

'14 535i xdrive M-Sport Carbon Black w/Mocha Nappa
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #85
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.fresh.f30.335 View Post
Just saying... Had an Audi A6 3.2 that went through two motors before 45k and they gave 40k off sticker on a A8L brand new...

To the OP: they won't pay you for depreciation, time and anguish yes but the car was 40k miles old you won't get a full brand new call
In your case there was a PROVEN fault with a factory part (the engine), so the fault was obviously with Audi. In OP's case there is no proof it was a manufacturer fault.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #86
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In your case there was a PROVEN fault with a factory part (the engine), so the fault was obviously with Audi. In OP's case there is no proof it was a manufacturer fault.
But there is also no proof that it wasn't a manufacturer fault. The reasonable solution is to meet somewhere in the middle, which BMW obviously tried to do, but the OP apparently wasn't ready or didn't have the available cash on-hand to jump up to a brand new car, despite the $7,500 discount.

The OP has gone silent so we may never know, but in this case if the first offer (a discount off of a new car) was unacceptable, then BMW should have offered alternatives, such as a lesser amount of cash towards a used or CPO equivalent model. This would have paid for his deductible, offset some of his inevitable premium increase in the coming years, and ensured he could get into an equivalent model without an out-of-pocket expense.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #87
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnerJi View Post
But there is also no proof that it wasn't a manufacturer fault. The reasonable solution is to meet somewhere in the middle, which BMW obviously tried to do, but the OP apparently wasn't ready or didn't have the available cash on-hand to jump up to a brand new car, despite the $7,500 discount.

The OP has gone silent so we may never know, but in this case if the first offer (a discount off of a new car) was unacceptable, then BMW should have offered alternatives, such as a lesser amount of cash towards a used or CPO equivalent model. This would have paid for his deductible, offset some of his inevitable premium increase in the coming years, and ensured he could get into an equivalent model without an out-of-pocket expense.
Yes, but as I pointed out, OP wasn't concerned with it being too expensive and not having enough money. He was okay with only 5k off if he could still bitch to media. OP just wanted a bigger bribe for his silence on the matter.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #88
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but as I pointed out, OP wasn't concerned with it being too expensive and not having enough money. He was okay with only 5k off if he could still bitch to media. OP just wanted a bigger bribe for his silence on the matter.
Great point. Had to go back and re-read it, and this is what I found from the OP's original post:

Quote:
The $5,000 loyalty discount plus invoice pricing was substantial. I was still taking a big hit (I budget for and do not finance vehicles) but I felt I could make it work. I did not feel that I was getting a great deal but felt that eventually I could placate my emotions by making the facts of my experience public.
I'm feeling a lot less sympathetic to the OP. In return for signing the release, he asked for 17,500 and gave them only two business days to respond. BMW might have settled for more than 7,500, but probably felt 17,500 was unreasonable.
Appreciate 0