F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Wind noise issue? I wish I would have left it ALONE!!
GetBMWParts

12-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
rayusaFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Wind noise issue? I wish I would have left it ALONE!!

I took my car back to the dealer the very same week I bought it since I was having wind noise coming from the windshield. They initially did not want to deal with it saying that it was "common" with the new 3 series. I said that it wasn't "common" but yet a problem, a defect that had to be fixed. They said they could try to reseal the windshield to see if the problem would go away. I told them that it was exactly what I wanted since I had heard from other owners having the same issue that the problem was fixed after the resealing. They made me wait for more than 3 months for a windshield! (That's right! MORE than 3 months!). Apparently, the windshield may crack easily once pulled out so they had to have a spare just in case. (Windshields for the F30 were all in backorder).
Anyway, the windshield arrived last week and they installed it. GUESS WHAT? They did a HORRIFIC job!! They used a 3rd party company and they messed up BIG time. There is glue sticking out on the sides, which is very visible from inside and outside if you are looking at an angle. Part of the rubber seal that goes along the roof is sticking out and not aligned and to make things even worse the wind noise has now increased SO MUCH more due to the poor installation!!!
I asked the service manager "How come the job was never checked once finished?" How can you let a company install something and nobody checks their work afterwards?? "
Now, here is the WORST part... I am quite sure they installed a NON-HUD windshield! The windshield is a lot more reflective. I called them and they said it was for vehicles with HUD and that it was the right one. I DO NOT BELIEVE THEM! I know HUD windshields are supposed to be different...
They will be doing the job again next week and I am afraid that they will install a NON HUD windshield AGAIN and I will not allow that to happen.

If you have HUD, would you mind posting the info that is on the bottom left of your windshield?

Attached is the picture of the windshield model # they installed.
Thank you in advance everyone!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
mjc919
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 335i msport

your number is the same as mine, good luck with the next one..
Attached Images

12-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
rayusaFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc919
your number is the same as mine, good luck with the next one..
Do you have HUD?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Assuming you only have HUD and no Lane Departure Warning or Speed Limit display, you should have p/n 51317258066

See here for info on F30 glazing options.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...84&hg=51&fg=05

Regarding your existing Pilkington Windshield, you'd need to contact the OEM to have them cross reference. or check your BMW service receipt to see which p/n they used.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

I have the HUD and I also have exactly the same markings as both of you.

Looks like it's the right glass, just a piss poor installation.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
rayusaFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I read somewhere that the word "HUD" should appear on the bottom left of the windshield. Is it true?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #7
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayusaFL View Post
I read somewhere that the word "HUD" should appear on the bottom left of the windshield. Is it true?
Don't think so, but "DUH" could be possible in honor of the peeps at your stealership.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
rayusaFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin
Quote:
Don't think so, but "DUH" could be possible in honor of the peeps at your stealership.
Lol!
Thanks for your input though...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

It's nearly impossible to screw up the windshield installation at the factory. It's 100% automated. It's very unlikely the replacement of the windshield would resolve anything. Good luck getting it corrected.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #10
ilhan1103
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 318 2012

Garage List
2012 318D  [0.00]
suddenly i'm not that mad anymore at my dealer.
I went back with the car to complain about wind noise (and some other problems) after 2 days I could pick it up and they did NOTHING about the noise.
They said the noise comes from the side mirrors which are bigger then i'm used to and catch wind.
In other words; I'm hearing things
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

I personally would NEVER allow a windshield replacement, unless absolutely necessary. The robots at the factory use special glue, and alignment techniques to properly secure the windshield. When you get it replaced, there is a chance that the force of the front passenger airbag deployment will unseat a replaced windshield, thereby negating the ability of the airbag to maintain the proper placement for passenger protection.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

OP At least they didnt lie and in fact ordered the right winshield. Other than that it was not handeled properly. When I sold BMWs we used a 3rd party for winshields and their work was PERFECT. You should sit down with the service manager and explain the situation to him and see what they do. Its obvious the 3rd party is to blame for this and I would let the service manager know this so they dont have trouble in the future. Let us know what happened.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
Tsuvoi
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhan1103 View Post
I went back with the car to complain about wind noise (and some other problems) after 2 days I could pick it up and they did NOTHING about the noise.
They said the noise comes from the side mirrors which are bigger then i'm used to and catch wind.
How can you pick up that the noise is coming from the windshield seal and not the side mirror when driving at speed on a highway??? They may be right, could be coming from the mirrors. You need to take them off and see if you hear a difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #14
rayusaFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic
It's nearly impossible to screw up the windshield installation at the factory. It's 100% automated. It's very unlikely the replacement of the windshield would resolve anything. Good luck getting it corrected.
Well, there are a few people here that had the windshield resealed and that did solve the problem.
I was just unfortunate to have had a very baf installation.
And this IS a defect from the factory. Same issue with the steering wheel vibration that others were having. Luckily for me, i had no issues there.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #15
rayusaFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS
I personally would NEVER allow a windshield replacement, unless absolutely necessary. The robots at the factory use special glue, and alignment techniques to properly secure the windshield. When you get it replaced, there is a chance that the force of the front passenger airbag deployment will unseat a replaced windshield, thereby negating the ability of the airbag to maintain the proper placement for passenger protection.
Well, I bought the car and not leased it. It was very frustrating to me that a 50K car was having such an issue.
All I wanted from the beginning was my problem fixed but they made it worse.
It's a personal thing, but i couldn't just ignore something like that. The wind noise is PRETTY loud. (Above 50 mph you can already hear it)
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #16
rayusaFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhan1103 View Post
How can you pick up that the noise is coming from the windshield seal and not the side mirror when driving at speed on a highway??? They may be right, could be coming from the mirrors. You need to take them off and see if you hear a difference.
It's easy... IT IS coming from the windshield because you can tell. I had more than 10 of my friends ride with me and they all said it was from the windshield. Even the dealer agrees now after the crappy installation made it worse.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #17
rayusaFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD
OP At least they didnt lie and in fact ordered the right winshield. Other than that it was not handeled properly. When I sold BMWs we used a 3rd party for winshields and their work was PERFECT. You should sit down with the service manager and explain the situation to him and see what they do. Its obvious the 3rd party is to blame for this and I would let the service manager know this so they dont have trouble in the future. Let us know what happened.
Thanks man.
I will go back there on 12/11 and will definitely sit down with the manager before they touch my car.
I will keep everyone posted.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #18
ilhan1103
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 318 2012

Garage List
2012 318D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1337 View Post
Are you serious?? Its frigging NOISY as if the window isn't completely closed. The first week i was constantly pressing the button for the window assuming i hadn't closed it completely.

Just in case you were actually serious: The A4 i had last year had seriously HUGE ears (Sidemirrors ) and I didnt hear jack when driving that thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #19
rayusaFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhan1103
Quote:
Are you serious?? Its frigging NOISY as if the window isn't completely closed. The first week i was constantly pressing the button for the window assuming i hadn't closed it completely.

Just in case you were actually serious: The A4 i had last year had seriously HUGE ears (Sidemirrors ) and I didnt hear jack when driving that thing.

Exactly! It really feels like one of the windows isn't closed all the way.
It just amazes me that the dealer had the audacity to say "It's normal!!"
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #20
Tsuvoi
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Alright well at least drop a line on some review website so others don't reseal their windshields at that dealer!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #21
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin
Quote:
Now that's a good one!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #22
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How about folding the mirrors and testing for noise with them in both positions? Just be safe and only do this while on a road with no other cars or pedestrians. If you cannot be safe, then don't fold your mirrors and drive!

Now that I think about this, if BMW was smart, they may auto unfold the mirrors if you drive above a certain speed with them folded. In that case you'd need to remove the fuse for the motors.

Just be careful if testing with the mirrors folded. Seriously.
Appreciate 0