F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Review of my F36 430i Gran Coupe after a few months
GetBMWParts

08-28-2022, 09:40 AM   #1
L555BAT
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Review of my F36 430i Gran Coupe after a few months

Being a product guy by trade (although not in the car industry), I couldn’t help not evaluating and critiquing my new car over the past few months, and made a few notes. So here are my ramblings on that subject for anyone that’s interested, and I’d be interested to know what you think of these aspects (or others) too.

The E90 330i it replaced was of course the last of its kind in many ways, especially in pre-facelift form with a manual gearbox and hydraulic steering. So I was expecting quite a change. Obviously a lot has moved on yet again since the F36 was designed/refreshed (I have the LCI), and designers need to move with the times and cater for a wide range of customers - perhaps mostly nowadays quite unlike us on this forum.

I’m mostly happy with the car, but far from the besotted I was when I got the 330i. I like it, but it doesn’t make me smile, nor go out just for a drive. It has the badge, it’s the M-Sport variant, and it has the sharp looks - but it doesn’t have the substance that I (perhaps wrongly nowadays) to back it up as an “ultimate driving machine” (they dropped that tagline, I know). When it comes to driving dynamics, it’s almost what I’d expect an SE variant to be.

Engine

Performance
It doesn’t feel like it pulls as well or has the same urgency as the six cylinder N52 in my manual E90 330i. It may just be mostly the combination of how the 4cyl turbo delivers its power, the transmission, and the increased cabin refinement. It’s down 6 bhp, up 50 Nm, and weighs 100kg more - none of which likely accounts for the difference.

Sound
Of course it doesn’t sound as good as the straight six did, but that era is mostly in the past now. As much as I ridiculed the feature when it was launched in the M135i, I’d appreciate a setting that lets in more noise or fakes it using the speakers. In addition to the enjoyment factor, the additional feedback would be useful for gear shifting in manual mode and for speed awareness.

Rev matching
There doesn’t seem to be any. Having 8 gears partly compensates for this, but the jerkiness and abrupt rev counter movement is still noticeable when downshifting.

Auto stop-start
I always have this turned off. I almost never drive in real traffic, so there’s minimal benefit. It scares me when the engine switches off in some situations such as waiting to pull out of a junction. As an engineer, I cannot believe it to be as mechanically sympathetic as possible, especially for a turbo engine.

Transmission

Auto modes
Never does what I want it to. After a brief period of experimentation, I now use manual mode exclusively. Auto mode can’t anticipate what’s needed next, or know what my intentions are. It’s reactive and acts like a novice driver when it comes to accelerating out of corners or overtaking. I like to be ahead of such situations by already being in the right gear e.g. before entering a corner. Deceleration under braking into junctions or roundabouts isn’t smooth, due to the downshift points and lack of rev-matching causing spikes in engine braking.

Manual mode
This works satisfactorily for me. It’s a bit tricky to know what gear you’re in, due to having 8 gears, low engine noise, no positional shifter, and a small gear indicator on the dash. I did consider a manual gearbox car, but they’re very rare in this country.

Engine braking
Lack of engine braking, in both auto and manual mode. Now I understand why I see people braking so much on minor gradients and on the motorway. In auto, it likes to be in the highest gear possible regardless of the situation so the engine braking is obviously poor. Manual mode improves on this, but still doesn’t pull down the speed like the manual drivetrain and larger engine on the E90 did. Bit of a rare situation - going down a hill slowly in 1st gear with no throttle input, engine braking only works for a while before suddenly letting go - this was surprising and I have no idea why it does this. I tried the Eco Pro mode with coasting enabled on the motorway once, and found it highly unnerving and dangerous.

Stopping temporarily in traffic
Now I understand why people sit at traffic lights with their foot on the brake, blinding the driver behind with the brake lights. After much experimentation with techniques to avoid this, I didn’t find a practical or safe solution, so now I do the same. When setting off after going into neutral while stopped, it’s particularly dangerous in traffic to let the car start rolling without engaging gear, as you must press the brake pedal and be stationary to be able to engage gear.

Driving dynamics

Drivetrain
There is a general feeling of a lack of positive connection between the engine and the driving wheels. It’s felt under both acceleration and deceleration. Presumably this is due to the torque converter gearbox, although I’m aware that it does have a lock-up feature.

Handling
I’m disappointed. For my next car purchase, I’ll be insisting on a proper extended test drive so I can get a feel for the car on some proper driving roads - away from the flat straights that you inevitably find all around dealer locations. I posted an earlier thread about this - https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1930804

Steering feel
As expected, it’s no match for feel or weight compared to the hydraulic rack in the E90.

Brakes
The brakes don’t feel as powerful as those on the E90, and the pedal feel isn’t as good. This car has 330mm fronts (same) and 300mm rears (old car had 336mm), and is 100kg heavier. I’m not sure if those figures alone account for the difference in performance. Both cars have the standard M-Sport brakes, but not the M-Sport/Performance brake upgrade option.

Driving

Speed awareness
I’ve realised how much I used to rely on the level of engine noise coupled with knowing which gear I’m in for speed awareness - without needing to pay much close attention to the speedometer. This needs more care in this car, which isn’t helped by the speedometer dial being smaller.

Headlights
The full beam is good - plenty of light, throws far, and good spread. The only downside is how much it reflects back off traffic signs (UK reflective ones), making everything else in the distance difficult to see. The dip beam is quite poor - it's symmetric so doesn't light any further up the side of the road than it does into the oncoming traffic side. I already posted a thread about this here - https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29268410

Persistence of settings
Every time I use the car, I have to go through a quick but annoying procedure to put various settings back to the same state that I always use them in. It would be better if these could be made permanent, perhaps via a setting. For me, these are - driving mode to sport, gearbox mode to manual, iDrive display off. The display also stays back on after the parking sensors diagram comes up on it. Fortunately sport mode turns off auto stop-start, so that’s one less thing to do.

Door mirrors
The mirrors are too tall - they have an excessive vertical field of vision. To avoid seeing a constant belt of dashed white lines going past, I have them pointed upwards as far as they’ll go. This means I see the street lights instead, but they’re further apart and only relevant at night.

Driving controls

Gearshift
I almost exclusively use the paddles, and am mostly satisfied with them. Only tend to use the lever when the steering is pointing off-center thereby putting the wheel-mounted paddles in unpredictable positions. Although I haven’t tried them, I think I’d prefer larger and static column-mounted paddles as found on the Alfa Giulia. While in manual mode, it would be nice to be able to shift into neutral in an easier way when temporarily stopped.

Wiper stalk
The auto mode now has its own stick position. This means you can’t easily add in an extra wipe manually by nudging the stick down, as the stick would need to pass through the off position. The dial for adjusting the sensitivity of auto mode should have more positions.

Cruise control
The buttons are a bit trickier to use than the old separate stalk, and not as quick to knock off. For this reason, I’m less comfortable using it in all but the lightest traffic. However I do understand that the stalk’s space is now required by the shift paddles, which are more important.

Auto-tilting door mirror
This is useful for reverse parking, however I was also glad to discover the quite hidden way of disabling it. I’d further like to be able to enable this for the mirror on the driver’s side.

Heating
The driver and passenger side temperature cannot be linked together. I was surprised that a decade of design time hadn’t solved this, especially as this is possible in downmarket cars from other manufacturers.

General remarks
Many good driver cockpit area features that work well are still present, unchanged, or improved. Physical buttons remain - you can still do all the important stuff by feel and positional memory while keeping your eyes on the road. The technology doesn’t dominate the driving experience - there’s just enough screens and digital stuff.

Instrument cluster
I have the semi-digital one, with the analog main dials.

Speedometer
The main dials (speed and revs) are unfortunately smaller than before, and the 5mph markers are no longer present - making it a bit harder to keep track of speed. They’re probably smaller because the fuel gauge is now independent (rather than being at the bottom of the speedo), and there’s now a temperature gauge (good). The space at the bottom of the speedo is now wasted - I’ll guess that there was an optional extra to have an extra screen there for something.

Gear indicator
This is small, and at the bottom amongst various pieces of digital clutter. It’s even smaller when it changes to show a shift recommendation. I’d like to have a larger indicator, somewhere higher up and uncluttered - possibly at the top between the main dials.

Main beam indicator
The new cruise and limit indicators at the centre top means the main beam indicator is no longer as distinct. I become conditioned to seeing a prominent indicator in that position. I’d like these three to be more distinguishable.

Interior

Storage
There’s no longer anywhere to store sunglasses where they won’t slide around or get scratched by other objects - there’s no replacement for the tray that used to be behind the gearstick.

The phone storage tray needs to be bigger and hold the device more securely. I expect it was sufficient for the phones of the time it was designed.

There’s no longer a bump at the bottom of the door pockets to stop things sliding backwards and forwards.

I never liked the high-up bottle holders on the E90’s dash, particularly the driver’s one which was a bit of a protrusion into the view out. The new location in front of the gearshift lever is good for the driver, however I feel this area is the driver’s personal space so I’d rather the passenger’s hand not be reaching into it.

There’s no longer a little storage tray at the side of the boot. It was quite useful for small frequently used items without needing to open up the underfloor storage.

Centre dash trim
This produces a reflection in the windscreen on sunny days. It would be better for all upwards-facing trim to be black rather than silver.

Vanity mirror light
This has a white lens which is constantly noticeable in my peripheral vision. A clear or smoked lens would blend in with the headlining better.

Last edited by L555BAT; 08-28-2022 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: forgot to mention headlights
Appreciate 1
Solidjake945.00
      08-28-2022, 09:58 AM   #2
quakerroatmeal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 430i Grand Coupe

Very thorough analysis of the vehicle. You said you're mostly happy with the vehicle but everything else after was nothing about the vehicle you liked though so it seemed kind of odd. Maybe you just wanted to list all the cons of the vehicle. What would you have purchased instead?
Appreciate 1
jc62b32.00
      08-28-2022, 10:17 AM   #3
L555BAT
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah I see what you mean, I said it's a review but also said it's a critique, it's actually the latter. The things I wish that were different, that BMW should address in the next one (except I'm too late for that). You don't notice the things that are right so much.

The best match BMW for me is probably a manual M240i. However, they're expensive, use too much fuel, too fast to enjoy, and less practical (no rear doors, small boot opening) than an E90 despite being the same size outside. If I'm allowed to invent cars, a 4-door version of the latest RWD G42 2-Series, in the concept of the 128ti.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 10:48 AM   #4
aardate
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4MC

Great review! Thanks for sharing your experience. The pervious generation non turbo inline 6 was a great motor but as you mentioned the times have changed.

I think the 440i GC with Msport goodies would have been a great replacement for someone who enjoys driving. The mppsk transforms the car and I find the adaptive suspension to be a great all arounder. There are aftermarket solutions for lack of steering and suspension issues though.
Appreciate 3
      08-29-2022, 06:58 AM   #5
shoman24v
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i, 2022 Highlander

Not sure what you are talking about with the transmission, it's fantastic. Actually, one of the best autos in cars to date. It is also extremely responsive to your throttle inputs in Sport. Putting the car in sport mode also firms up the steering (or suspension if you have variable dampers) nicely.

This is really my first auto car after 18 years of driving manual too.

I come from the E36/E39/E46 generation (the best generations) and to be honest I have much less gripes, and I'm one to complain about everything.
| 2018 BMW 330i | 30k Miles | M-Sport Package | Driving Assistance Plus | Premium Package | Executive Package | Harmon Kardon | Active Blind Spot Detection | PDC | Mineral Grey Metallic/Coral Red Dakota Leather |
| 2022 Toyota Highlander Platinum AWD |
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 11:37 AM   #6
L555BAT
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
Not sure what you are talking about with the transmission, it's fantastic.
How we all differ! I was quite specific - what in particular do you not know what I'm talking about? It's always in too high a gear when in Comfort, and in Sport IIRC it holds onto gears too long - and you can't override it without it switching into manual mode (forgot to mention this).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
It is also extremely responsive to your throttle inputs in Sport. Putting the car in sport mode also firms up the steering (or suspension if you have variable dampers) nicely.
Yes, I'm always in sport mode for the improved throttle response and steering weight. I don't have the adaptive dampers.

Last edited by L555BAT; 08-29-2022 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 11:52 AM   #7
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by L555BAT View Post
How we all differ! I was quite specific - what in particular do you not know what I'm talking about? It's always in too high a gear when in Comfort, and in Sport IIRC it holds onto gears too long - and you can't override it without it switching into manual mode (forgot to mention this).

Yes, I'm always in sport mode for the improved throttle response and steering weight. I don't have the adaptive dampers.
In comfort and sports mode the gearing is perfect. It stays in gear too long in sports+ though so I up shift manually from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd when accelerating from a stop sometimes to help but once you're going sports+ is fine imo.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 11:57 AM   #8
L555BAT
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

When you shift manually though doesn't that throw it into manual mode? Then you have to flick it into D (causing it to change up) and back (causing it to change back down) to get back into sport/sport+ auto mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 12:17 PM   #9
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Quote:
When you shift manually though doesn't that throw it into manual mode? Then you have to flick it into D (causing it to change up) and back (causing it to change back down) to get back into sport/sport+ auto mode.
Yes it will go into manual mode but it will go back into auto mode in like 5 seconds when the shifter is to the right and will resume shifting by itself.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 12:22 PM   #10
L555BAT
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh of course, this is driving mode (via the switch) we're talking about rather than gearbox mode (via moving the stick sideways from D).
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 07:19 AM   #11
SirBiggles
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

Anything you do like?! Heh, no worries I saw your "critique" so I understand. I tend to agree with a lot of your points...

But I have to say I really like my F36 440i. There isn't another car I would buy (apart from an RS5 Sportback or brand new RS4/RS5 Avant - and these are a long long way out of my price range). If I didn't need the practicality, I would buy an F80 M3.

Mirrors:
Have you got the mirror switcher on the driver handle? If you push it to the right (in the UK; driver's side - might be opposite on LHD), then the nearside mirror does not dip.

Handling:
I had Eibach springs & Bilstein B8 dampers fitted. Drastically helped handling. But I suspect unless I go down the monoball route (& potentially different steering rack!), the steering will always be a little dead.

Transmission:
I agree, the M DCT transmission is considerably better than the M-sport ZF gearbox (IMO!). I had a 240 and it seemed to have a better gearbox map - I spoke to BMW about this and they said the box in the 4GC is mapped to be more 'cruisy'. I will address this with XHD or similar + BM3 engine map at some point. Manual is OK; best in Sport but holds the high-revs uncontrollably in Sport+ (I guess for racing use). Long story short; I suspect I just prefer the control you get from dipping the clutch and listening for the revs in manuals.

Engine:
The 440i engine is beautiful. I love it when I open her up in Sport/manual mode on a sunny day in the countryside when it's quiet. The Remus exhaust has added a lovely note to the revs, and is not obnoxious around towns.

All-in, a good car - I only wish there was an M4 Gran Coupe!
      08-30-2022, 04:01 PM   #12
L555BAT
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBiggles View Post

Mirrors:
Have you got the mirror switcher on the driver handle? If you push it to the right (in the UK; driver's side - might be opposite on LHD), then the nearside mirror does not dip.
Yes. I was just saying that it took me a while to discover that it did this, in addition to toggling which mirror is being adjusted.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 05:07 PM   #13
SirBiggles
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Yes. I was just saying that it took me a while to discover that it did this, in addition to toggling which mirror is being adjusted.
Sorry, read through too fast and missed that bit
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 05:21 AM   #14
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I'm mad they gave 4cyl the legendary 30i badge.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 07:12 AM   #15
throwingcopper33
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2018 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardate View Post
Great review! Thanks for sharing your experience. The pervious generation non turbo inline 6 was a great motor but as you mentioned the times have changed.

I think the 440i GC with Msport goodies would have been a great replacement for someone who enjoys driving. The mppsk transforms the car and I find the adaptive suspension to be a great all arounder. There are aftermarket solutions for lack of steering and suspension issues though.
I totally agree with you. I have the M sport 440i GC with mppsk and I could not be any happier with a non M series car.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2023, 08:02 AM   #16
L555BAT
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Another thing I remembered is the little green light on the wiper stalk indicating auto mode. In the E90 it was positioned such that it was hidden behind the steering wheel, which was good as it wasn't always shining at you, yet could easily be seen by moving your head a little bit. Now it's always in my vision.

The bootlid has a steel loop sticking out of it for the locking mechanism, I've hit my head on this a couple of times. Maybe something could have been done differently with this design, but I expect space is constrained.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2023, 08:52 AM   #17
quakerroatmeal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 430i Grand Coupe

Quote:
Another thing I remembered is the little green light on the wiper stalk indicating auto mode. In the E90 it was positioned such that it was hidden behind the steering wheel, which was good as it wasn't always shining at you, yet could easily be seen by moving your head a little bit. Now it's always in my vision.

The bootlid has a steel loop sticking out of it for the locking mechanism, I've hit my head on this a couple of times. Maybe something could have been done differently with this design, but I expect space is constrained.
What steel loop in the bootlid?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 09:09 AM   #18
L555BAT
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Number 6 here: https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...5i/ece/41_2248

It's the piece sticking out, that when the boot is shut goes into the locking mechanism inside the boot lip.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 08:52 AM   #19
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:

I tend to drive the car in an adapted sport mode. "comfort" transmission setting with "sport" set for the dampers. The dampers make a world of difference. That being said, I feel our 428i's (2016 pre-LCI) N26 engine has a better performance feel and is better suited to the 8sp automatic than it is in our 430i.
Not that it's terrible, but it could be better.