F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > X3 to 3GT
GetBMWParts

04-02-2017, 12:07 PM   #1
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

X3 to 3GT

My wife currently has an X3 and I'm toying with the idea of swapping it in for a 3 series GT. Having a quick look about and there doesn't appear to be many petrol ones about for the price range. There are quite a few 330d's, but what is it with BMW not supplying them with xenon's as standard? Even most ford fiestas come with xenon's!
I'm trying to part-ex and spend as little as possible, but as always it's looking difficult.

I'm not too sure if i would be able to convince the wife to get a 3ltr diesel, as we don't do a huge amount of mileage and I may have already shot myself in the foot by trying to pursued her to change her car and move away from diesel. I see that most of what's on offer also comes with the business idrive, rather than the professional like we have currently in the X3. Do you think the professional idrive is a definite? Has anyone ever dropped down to a business and regretted it?

Has anyone else gone from an X3 to a 3gt and if so, do you miss the X3?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 02:47 AM   #2
Jed Flash
Rep
Drives: 320i GT Xdrive

Not sure if i can really help but my wife and i went to buy an X3 and came out with a 3GT. It was the rear seat space and the boot space that swung it and also the petrol engine.

I managed to find a 320i sport line, petrol, manual xdrive one year old and just over £20k with 3k on the clock so they are out there you just have to find them.

Shocking service from BMW trying to find this car, had to do all the hard work myself as the local BMW dealer just wanted to sell a new car with their specs and not what i wanted. They wouldnt even help me buy the car, had to drive half way around UK looking at cars at other BMW dealers. Only one my local dealership had was a 2nd hand one for 40k! lol

Enjoy
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 03:52 AM   #3
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Yeah, the rear space won it for us too and get the panoramic roof if you can.

My dealer experience was totally different - well, I did have to find the car mylself - my local dealer could not match the specs so the made it happen and brought the car saving me all troubles... I did have to pay the deposit for them to bring the car from that other dealer but it was refundable if for whatever reason I was not happy... My local dealer even managed to negotiate an extra discount.

Diesel engines "under pressure" these days...

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ev...arge-fsfw3ps5h

Last edited by x-m4n; 04-04-2017 at 03:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 04:04 AM   #4
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Flash View Post
Not sure if i can really help but my wife and i went to buy an X3 and came out with a 3GT. It was the rear seat space and the boot space that swung it and also the petrol engine.

I managed to find a 320i sport line, petrol, manual xdrive one year old and just over £20k with 3k on the clock so they are out there you just have to find them.

Shocking service from BMW trying to find this car, had to do all the hard work myself as the local BMW dealer just wanted to sell a new car with their specs and not what i wanted. They wouldnt even help me buy the car, had to drive half way around UK looking at cars at other BMW dealers. Only one my local dealership had was a 2nd hand one for 40k! lol

Enjoy
I've seen a 320i m sport 2015 for 22k (can't remember the mileage, but it must have been around the 11k mark), but that's it in petrol form.
How do you find yours for power? Is it plenty for the size of the car.

I know exactly how you feel in terms of buying a used car, the last two have been down to me doing all the leg work. I purchased a 420d in December and every single dealership were pretty much useless. You would think they would be eager to sell a car in Dec, but clearly not.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 04:09 AM   #5
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
Yeah, the rear space won it for us too and get the panoramic roof if you can.

My dealer experience was totally different - well, I did have to find the car mylself - my local dealer could not match the specs so the made it happen and brought the car saving me all troubles... I did have to pay the deposit for them to bring the car from that other dealer but it was refundable if for whatever reason I was not happy... My local dealer even managed to negotiate an extra discount.

Diesel engines under "pressure" these days...

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ev...arge-fsfw3ps5h

I'm not sure I would be that lucky to find the right car, let alone with a pano roof, but I know where you're coming from, as we currently have it in our X3.
If we can find a petrol with the right spec and the right price, then I think we would definitely go for it, especially when my wife only does around 6-8k a year.
When I purchased my 4 series, I hunted high and low for a 2.8i as I was a little concerned about the future of diesel, however it appears they were like rocking horse poo (well, when I was looking). In the end I decided that diesel wasn't going to change overnight and therefore I could live with it for another 3-5yrs.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 04:57 AM   #6
Jed Flash
Rep
Drives: 320i GT Xdrive

Yeah i paid around 21,500 for a year old version so seems a decentish price. i couldnt find much cheaper from a dealership.

I came from a Civic Type R and i find the 320i isnt very sluggish once its gets going but now with 2 kids im not driving like i used to, only compaint would be when climbing a steep incline from a standing start can be slow and if a little worrying shudder as it struggles.

Other than that i havnt really missed the power of the Type R - the BMW is no where near as fun but ive got a Ducati for that and no screaming kids on the back!

I am so pleased with the 3GT i plan on keeping it for a long time, espicially if they dont make a new version.
Appreciate 1
PX3139.50
      04-03-2017, 05:42 AM   #7
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Flash View Post
Yeah i paid around 21,500 for a year old version so seems a decentish price. i couldnt find much cheaper from a dealership.

I came from a Civic Type R and i find the 320i isnt very sluggish once its gets going but now with 2 kids im not driving like i used to, only compaint would be when climbing a steep incline from a standing start can be slow and if a little worrying shudder as it struggles.

Other than that i havnt really missed the power of the Type R - the BMW is no where near as fun but ive got a Ducati for that and no screaming kids on the back!

I am so pleased with the 3GT i plan on keeping it for a long time, espicially if they dont make a new version.

I also have two kids and as this would be the family car, it's certainly not going to be thrashed, but it's nice to know it has enough power for the size.

It's good to hear that you're pleased with the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 01:14 PM   #8
littleump
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 40i

i tride the 320i and found it way under powered compared to the 328i just my opinion though
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleump View Post
i tride the 320i and found it way under powered compared to the 328i just my opinion though
There is no 320i GT here to compare it to, but my 328iX GT has the fastest acceleration of any car I've ever owned, going all they way back to my 327 V8 '63 Chevy. There are quicker of course, but mine's as fast as I have any need for. I find I use the cruise control a lot more than with previous cars, to keep from going too fast, because it's so smooth and quiet you're unaware of your speed and soon find yourself doing 80 MPH in a 55 zone. .
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 06:12 AM   #10
phnikola
Rep
Drives: F34 LCI 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by PX3 View Post
My wife currently has an X3 and I'm toying with the idea of swapping it in for a 3 series GT. Having a quick look about and there doesn't appear to be many petrol ones about for the price range. There are quite a few 330d's, but what is it with BMW not supplying them with xenon's as standard? Even most ford fiestas come with xenon's!
I'm trying to part-ex and spend as little as possible, but as always it's looking difficult.

I'm not too sure if i would be able to convince the wife to get a 3ltr diesel, as we don't do a huge amount of mileage and I may have already shot myself in the foot by trying to pursued her to change her car and move away from diesel. I see that most of what's on offer also comes with the business idrive, rather than the professional like we have currently in the X3. Do you think the professional idrive is a definite? Has anyone ever dropped down to a business and regretted it?

Has anyone else gone from an X3 to a 3gt and if so, do you miss the X3?

Cheers
Went from X3 to 3GT this week.
There is NOTHING that you will miss in terms of handling, space and booth.
I loved my X3, but since I test drove 3GT I couldnt wait for it to arrive.
Car is superb.
Ask more if you need
Appreciate 0