F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Carplay Coding
Studio RSR

04-26-2024, 09:05 PM   #1
MaverikDS
Rep
Drives: 14 X5 35d; 16 GLE 300d

Carplay Coding

Hi all. First I'll say I've tried doing searches and can't find my specific question so apologies if it is redundant. I'm trying to figure out if I can add carplay to my Mom's 2017 330i. When I decode her vin I don't see any indication that the wifi antennae was installed from the factory. I understand I'll need to purchase and install that first. My question lies with the actual coding options to get carplay going. I have esys and bimmer utility available for projects I've done on my F15. I've seen people saying to purchase coding from online coders that will either e-mail you a file you load onto a USB drive or some that use a separate ap for loading/unlocking files with a code that will be sent requiring the use of the OBDII hook up to your laptop. Is it possible to install the wifi antennae and then code it in myself using esys? Can someone point me in the direction of a tutorial for what codes need to be done and then what modules/ecu's need to be updated? I realize that spending the money for the downloads is pretty inexpensive from reading as most people are doing it sub $100 but if I can do it on my own just buying the wifi antennae and coding myself I'd prefer to go that route.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 09:54 AM   #2
SharpDrives
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M-Sport

Absolutely, if you have a 2017 (same as me) you’ll be able to code in CarPlay. The only decision you have to make is whether or not you want/need full screen.

Check your nbtevo version in the maps app, settings, then map or software info I believe.

If it’s not nbtevo_o or above, you’ll only have access to split screen CarPlay unless you flash to a higher version.

Whatever route you decide to go you can then go on eBay for $30 and have someone code it in either via feature installer or usb bin file.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 01:21 PM   #3
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Contact the guys at codemybimmer.ca
They’ll get u hooked up.

04-28-2024, 01:50 PM   #4
MaverikDS
Rep

I appreciate your answers so far. I know it's possible to get carplay. I want to know if I can code it in myself using esys rather than paying a 3rd party for their software or providing it via usb to me. If I install the wifi antennae can I just code in the appropriate option and then hit the appropriate ECU/module. If so what code is that and what module(s) need to be done?

Part of the problem is my Mom lives in Hawaii and I'm on the mainland. Asking her to check anything through the idrive is like asking her to learn a new language. Asking her to take her phone and facetiming me to walk her through the process results in her covering the camera with her hand or not being able to show the screen and manipulate it at the same time which is just too much for her. In all fairness I'm looking at doing this for other family members when visiting/using the car not because she cares. Figure if it's easy I'll order the wifi antennae and just bring my computer/enet cable when I visit her next.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 03:22 PM   #5
LA430
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 430i

You’re going to need to purchase and inject an FSC code. Honestly it’s not as straight forward as just checking a box and coding unfortunately.

Initially I purchased a usb download for my car (don’t remember the istep level). All I had to do was insert the usb and restart the idrive. This gave me only split screen capability. For full screen I paid someone to update my idrive and recode.

Also a 2017 car. I ended up using bimmer-flash (was able to setup Esys using my flasher dongle) and allowing them to remote code and install everything.

https://bimmer-remote.com/products/i...lay-fullscreen
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 06:14 PM   #6
MaverikDS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA430 View Post
You’re going to need to purchase and inject an FSC code. Honestly it’s not as straight forward as just checking a box and coding unfortunately.

Initially I purchased a usb download for my car (don’t remember the istep level). All I had to do was insert the usb and restart the idrive. This gave me only split screen capability. For full screen I paid someone to update my idrive and recode.

Also a 2017 car. I ended up using bimmer-flash (was able to setup Esys using my flasher dongle) and allowing them to remote code and install everything.

https://bimmer-remote.com/products/i...lay-fullscreen
When they remote in to program aren't they doing VO/FA coding? I don't think nor expect it to be simple checking of a box but I also don't think it's complicated. I coded in anti dazzle and a number of other options on my F15 using esys and following directions from that side of the forum. I don't really care if it's full screen or not just the functionality would be nice but rarely used so full screen isn't as important to me. If I could code full screen in myself I would do that as well. Is there a FSC generator anyone knows about for this? I've used one to create FSC codes for my navigation to update it but I believe that generator is limited to just creating codes for NBT nav not even NBT evo nav updates.
Appreciate 0