F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Knocking noise from steering/absorber.
GetBMWParts

10-28-2012, 02:04 AM   #1
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 BMW 330i M-Sport

Knocking noise from steering/absorber.

Hey guys, this is one of my first posts.. I am a very happy new owner (4 weeks) of a new F30 320d Sportline and absolutely in-love with it. Traded up from a 10 month old G6E.

I have a couple of niggling issues, and one that has just become pronounced and annoying.

First issue, is that whenever I turn left while braking, i.e. around corners, a strong squealing comes from the left hand brakes. Only when I turn left on particular corners and not under normal braking at traffic lights etc. It start at around 600k and now I am just shy of 2,000 and it is still doing it. Not getting worse, but not getting any better either. My G6E did it for the first week when I bought that new, but it disappeared straight away. suggestions?

Secondly and more concerning ... is that driving on any uneven road surface or bumps, I am getting this ever so random knocking noise from the front right suspension/steering (even perhaps the shockies) and its become quite annoying. From what I can tell it only started about a week or two ago and its quite annoying now. I searched the net for anything close to my problem and I found the exact issue I was having on another site.. Not sure if ok, but will paste it below.

"This is in reference to one of the issues stated in the thread started by jan999 in his "poll: compilation of problems of F30 u encountered". I believe many F30 owners irregardless of whether it is a 320D or 328i (not sure about the 320i yet as no one seemed to have one at this juncture) faced this elusive "knocking" sound from the steering/absorber with some experiencing a slight judder at the steering wheel when the car goes over a small hump or pothole or cat-eyes on the road. The feeling/sound is akin to a worn-out lower arm bushing. The problem is that the sound only comes intermittently and only when the car rolls over the hump or pothole at a certain angle, thus resulting it being difficult to pin-point it to the service advisor/technician during test-drive for them to really look into it. This predicament had resulted in this very issue being left unresolved up until now.

I had my car checked for the first time about a month back but the Service Advisor cannot detect the sound so nothing can be done then. However, when I sent my car in this morning to rectify other problems (also one of those usual suspect) I again got my Service Advisor to try to identify the sound and this time he managed to hear it. He checked and said that it is due to some design defect of the Steering Rack and said a few have also complained about similar problem. I told him not a few but a HUGE MAJORITY!!! (hahaha) because I have been in touch with quite a few f30 owners out there who has the same problem (thanks to the forum). He said a rectification note has been sent to BMW and apparently the R&D in Germany is trying to come out with an upgraded Steering Rack but when will it be ready to be shipped out, he doesn't know.

So guys, you just have to hang on there for the time being. But in the meantime, for those of you who have this problem I would appreciate if you could file in an official complaint to your respective dealer and get them to officially escalate the said problem to BMW Malaysia and Germany so that the relevant people in Germany know the extent of the problem and have a sense of urgency to quickly come out with the upgraded parts."

Can anyone else tell me if they have or experienced anything similar? I am about 500ks from my BMW dealership.. so I want to get as much info on the subject before I head back to them..

Thanks Guys. Matt
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 02:40 AM   #2
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Welcome aboard Matt. Glad you are enjoying your F30. Yep, some problems can be so very hard to solve. I haven't travelled terribly far in my car but to date, I have not experienced the issues you are having.

First thing is to email your dealer with your complaint and even the complaint from jan999 as reference. You could follow up with a call but keep all correspondences in writing until satisfactory resolution. Please keep us informed.

Enjoy the toy.

Cheers
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 03:32 AM   #3
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks David328M-Sport definitely will let you know, hopefully I am not the only one out there
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 04:07 AM   #4
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Hey mate congrats on your new ride.. I wonder if the transport blocks have been removed prior to delivery. I remember reading some posts before where the forgot to remove some blocks and the OP actually had to bring em in to be removed.

I drive pretty aggressively around town taking corners pretty hard but found no such sound as you mentioned. It would be easier if you can replicate the issue for the dealer.

I would suggest bringing it in..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
blt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sportline

Hey Matt,

I've got the same problem as you and mine started happening after 1000kms (at 2400kms now). I only started noticing mine when in sports mode and going over a bump and a left hand turn. It's now gotten a little worse and now happens in comfort, regardless on whether you are turning, although it is still mainly bumps, not potholes. It more noticable if you run over a couple of small bumps close together.

I have VSS and am not sure if that's a contributing factor. Took it into the dealer a couple of weeks ago and was able to replicate the problem for them. They're ordering a new steering rack from Germany, and it should be here in the next week or two. Reports from this thread, http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740055 indicate it may not be the solution. Apparently it's fine for a week or two then the noise returns. I'd find a section of road which you can consistently replicate the problem before taking it in. Mine was as easy as the dealership driveway .....

I'll let you know how I go with mine, but a response that the noise is normal isn't going to cut it. If they can't fix it, I'll just keep getting them to order me a new steering rack every 2 weeks until they find a permanent fix. Or they can replace the car!

Thankfully I don't have any problems with my brakes, but there was a post on the main forums about squeaking brakes, http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747374.

Blt
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 03:05 AM   #6
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.
blt I am not sure if I have VSS though, how do I tell.. I did tick almost every option box on the order form.. but from what you are saying, yours sounds exactly the same as mine although I havent tried sport or sport plus mode, usually I drive around in Comfort mode on a day to day basis.

Definitely let me know how you go though.

Cheers, Matt
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt View Post
Hey Matt,

I've got the same problem as you and mine started happening after 1000kms (at 2400kms now). I only started noticing mine when in sports mode and going over a bump and a left hand turn. It's now gotten a little worse and now happens in comfort, regardless on whether you are turning, although it is still mainly bumps, not potholes. It more noticable if you run over a couple of small bumps close together.

I have VSS and am not sure if that's a contributing factor. Took it into the dealer a couple of weeks ago and was able to replicate the problem for them. They're ordering a new steering rack from Germany, and it should be here in the next week or two. Reports from this thread, http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740055 indicate it may not be the solution. Apparently it's fine for a week or two then the noise returns. I'd find a section of road which you can consistently replicate the problem before taking it in. Mine was as easy as the dealership driveway .....

I'll let you know how I go with mine, but a response that the noise is normal isn't going to cut it. If they can't fix it, I'll just keep getting them to order me a new steering rack every 2 weeks until they find a permanent fix. Or they can replace the car!

Thankfully I don't have any problems with my brakes, but there was a post on the main forums about squeaking brakes, http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747374.

Blt
Hey BLT my brakes have sorted itself out but not the suspension/steering.
Any update on yours? Cheers, Matt
Retired - 2018 - Range Rover Velar SE D240
Retired - 2015 - Mercedes Benz C250d AMG Line W205
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitallust View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the responses.
blt I am not sure if I have VSS though, how do I tell.. I did tick almost every option box on the order form.. but from what you are saying, yours sounds exactly the same as mine although I havent tried sport or sport plus mode, usually I drive around in Comfort mode on a day to day basis.

Definitely let me know how you go though.

Cheers, Matt
If you check your VIN at BMWVIN you will see the VSS part number as part of your build.

I have been throwing my ride abit more aggressively a lately with music off so I could listen to any squealing or squeaking.. No issues here
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
If you check your VIN at BMWVIN you will see the VSS part number as part of your build.

I have been throwing my ride abit more aggressively a lately with music off so I could listen to any squealing or squeaking.. No issues here
Nope definitely don't have VSS and the rattle is really starting to annoy me ... I am thinking a 500K trip to the dealership might be in order.

Based on what I have read there are quite a few people around the globe having similar issues. As its a case of not everyone having the problem then it should be easily fixed I would hope.

I tell you what though, spending $85K+ on a new car to have something as annoying as this after 2,000 kms is a bit BLAH!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitallust View Post
I tell you what though, spending $85K+ on a new car to have something as annoying as this after 2,000 kms is a bit BLAH!
As wonderful as the F30 is, it is still a mass produced car and issues will arise. Some worse than others. Annoying as it is for you (and any owner) look at your situation from a positive perspective. You can still drive it in most probability without damage to it.

Hope you have your car's issue fixed pronto.
Cheers
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
blt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey Matt, sorry to say there is no update, as the part hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully it should be in some time this week. I'll give the dealer a call for an update.

I am not too concerned about it atm, in that they have at least identified a problem, and they would have kept the car if they deemed it was serious enough. And if it does cause damage to other components like the suspension, then they have it on record that it has been in for the knock problem. It probably sounds worse than it is, as my passengers can't hear it. The most annoying bit is seeing a bump in the road and the anticipation of the knock, and feeling it in the steering.

Unfortunately, there are always going to issues with a new model for any manufacturer, and that's one of the risks that us early buyers are going to have to accept. But yeah, it does suck when you pay lots of $$ for a car with a problem. The best we can hope for, is that BMW come up with a permanent fix. The steering wheel vibration issue has been going on for ages, so there may not be a magic quick fix for our issue for some time.

Blt
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt View Post
Hey Matt, sorry to say there is no update, as the part hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully it should be in some time this week. I'll give the dealer a call for an update.

I am not too concerned about it atm, in that they have at least identified a problem, and they would have kept the car if they deemed it was serious enough. And if it does cause damage to other components like the suspension, then they have it on record that it has been in for the knock problem. It probably sounds worse than it is, as my passengers can't hear it. The most annoying bit is seeing a bump in the road and the anticipation of the knock, and feeling it in the steering.

Unfortunately, there are always going to issues with a new model for any manufacturer, and that's one of the risks that us early buyers are going to have to accept. But yeah, it does suck when you pay lots of $$ for a car with a problem. The best we can hope for, is that BMW come up with a permanent fix. The steering wheel vibration issue has been going on for ages, so there may not be a magic quick fix for our issue for some time.

Blt
Yeah very true, however I am beginning to think that mine is a more of a noticeable knocking noise than most though. Almost everyone that has been in my car has noticed it and asked what on earth that thumping noise is.... I guess thats the shitty WA roads for you.

Yeah thats true about being a new model etc, however considering that BMW sells more 3 Series than any other model you think they would have it pretty much spot on... by the sounds of it, its pretty widespread, especially so in the us, a few in the UK and germany aswell.

Fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 01:15 AM   #13
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

digitallust: where are u located? would love to hear this noise
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephanite View Post
digitallust: where are u located? would love to hear this noise
Hey Sephanite, In Kalgoorlie, WA. Its a friggin horrible sounds, thats for sure. Hoping I really wont have to put up with it for the next 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:28 AM   #15
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

too far for me to come listen :P
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:03 AM   #16
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephanite View Post
too far for me to come listen :P
Why? It would be a great road trip in/for your F30!!!! LOLOLOL HEHEHEHE
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:13 AM   #17
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Have you sent it in for the guys to have a look yet digitallust?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 04:49 AM   #18
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Hahha, very true about the road trip, , not yet J1n, I am 500kms away from my BMW dealership so its a half day trip to Perth... am onto it though.. only downside of no dealership here, although BMW s are popping up all the place lately
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #19
blt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Have an update for my steering wheel knock problem.

The new steering rack was installed yesterday and the knock is almost gone. It's hardly noticeable and can barely be heard or felt over bumps where I know it should happen. It took some time to install, and they had to do some reprogramming, and also a wheel alignment.

Will have to wait until I've done another 1000kms before I can say it's permanently fixed ....
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 02:48 AM   #20
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 - 2007

And i thought my, cracked B pillars, rusted out seats were bad.. I'd take those over knocking noise anyday.

feel for u man.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 04:28 AM   #21
therudies86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra08R View Post
And i thought my, cracked B pillars, rusted out seats were bad.. I'd take those over knocking noise anyday.

feel for u man.
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 05:52 AM   #22
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Does your steering have the soft badding below it.? Near the lever where you adjust the height of the steering wheel,its directly below the steering
Appreciate 0