F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Full Review 335 sportline from former 135i owner
Extreme Powerhouse

08-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

Full Review 335 sportline from former 135i owner

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Purchased 2013 AW sportline after finishing a 3 year lease of a 2009 135i.
Truly loved the little car but was not going to buy an outgoing model and it was time for 4 doors ( that is me acting as a ventrilaquist dummy for my wife throwing her voice)

So, as any self respecting BMW guy would do, I stayed in the family.
Tried a 328 first and was very impressed. Then I tested the 335 and it was all over. Had to stay with the turbo 6 cylinder.

Went thru my usual trials and tribulations deciding and finally found "my configuration" Car was delivered to me Monday ..my unbiased comments..

Seats---awesome..way more comfortable than 135 sport seats. Interior trim is of higher quality and does not feel as large to the driver as it may be.
Perhaps its the way it folds around the driver vs. the flat dash of the 135.

Tech is extensive and far beyond my fully grasping all its capabilites at this point. I do especially like the small display in the dash pod of your basic nav. turns and direction/distance. I have the basic nav, not the full tech package.

Radio--have the basic system and its sounds just fine if you turn it up a bit.
I am a fairly serious audophile so I do not get involved with upgrading car radios as they just are too compromised due to the glass, the spkr placement and the environment in a vehicle.

Size--its bigger than the 135 but does not feel cumbersome. Feels nimble and well balanced.

Trunk--not bad but big suitcases could be an issue with back seat up.

NOW--the good stuff..

The car rocks.

The engine/trans match ( 8AT) is nothing short of perfect. The power is there whenever you ask for it. I can't feel the car shift except maybe on a downshift while slowing down. Watching the tach is very entertaining. And of of this is staying under the 4K break-in. Sound--nice growl but break in rev limit stopping me hearing it at full song for now.

The N54 was a more explosive engine but the N55 is very smooth and delivers its torque lower on the reve range. To me, the N54 (steptronic) seemd to have small flat spot , then just blast away. Sort of a mini muscle car. I like the N55 with this trans--just tip in a bit on the throttle and bye bye...

Steering--not bad but could have more road feel. Car is direct and you can feel resistance build but road vibrations and road fluctuations hard to feel. Having had a chance to do a Porsche track event, its not that dis-similar to Porsche "well reviewed" electric steering. Porsche has less boost but IMHO electric steering feels "slightly filtered"

Brakes...this is where I am not thrilled. They just don't feel that strong. Maybe its the tires or the tire patch BUT they remind me more of my wife' Infiniti than my 135 and I won't even bother to compare to the 911. I will get used to them BUT they could be better.

Ride--excellent. I have DHP and have played around with all the settings.
Definitely firms up in sport but not jarring in the least. I drive 90% in sport and occasionally put in comfort on a rough patched street I have to drive down to get to my home. Eco pro kills any throttle response and steering is waaaay light. No likey. Did have car programmed for ASS save last setting. ITS OFF.( if you use ECO pro have to turn it back off manually or it will save that setting0

All that said. Its a great car. 50k for a 3 series is alot but this is alot of car.

Can't wait to test the real power, break in tires and brakes and get more tuned into the car.

I attempted to buy a comeptitor's vehicle and save some $$ but I knew I would not be happy. I am not always right about things BUT I was right not to settle . I am too much of a car nut/BMW fan.

thanks for listening. Pics as requested though they do appear in other threads.. De-badged (could not see 335 on white bodied car). For those who will ask--I had the mirrors painted white by the body shop. This is a USA vehicle.

Name:  modded nose.jpg
Views: 1925
Size:  306.1 KB

Name:  rear profile view.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  337.9 KB

Name:  interior.jpg
Views: 1934
Size:  296.5 KB

Last edited by emtrey; 08-30-2012 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

you should post your photos here
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6 speed manual

Nice review, I look forward to more of your feedback as you put more miles on your car

I am also pretty serious about my home stereo system and to save money I opted for the basic hifi stereo in my 2013 335xdrive that is arriving next month.......I test drove a 2012 335i with the Harmon Kardon upgrade and it didn't seem much better than the non Harmon Kardon Hifi stereo in my 2008 335xi.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
emtrey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACEMANRICK View Post
Nice review, I look forward to more of your feedback as you put more miles on your car

I am also pretty serious about my home stereo system and to save money I opted for the basic hifi stereo in my 2013 335xdrive that is arriving next month.......I test drove a 2012 335i with the Harmon Kardon upgrade and it didn't seem much better than the non Harmon Kardon Hifi stereo in my 2008 335xi.
Stock system is not bad. Never heard the HK so no basis of comparison.
I am sure its better. If I have a few more bucks to throw at the car, it might be a power kit (price depending or exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtrey View Post
Stock system is not bad. Never heard the HK so no basis of comparison.
I am sure its better. If I have a few more bucks to throw at the car, it might be a power kit (price depending or exhaust.
We're both ex 135i drivers.

This sport AT is new for me, as I've favored and been driving MT for a very long time. I'm still getting used to AT, and then trying the different ways one can use this trans, full auto, semi auto, manual, sport mode manual, sport mode auto, etc...
I still find myself using the lever to shift, and keep trying to make myself use the paddles shifters.

I do miss being able to skip shift. Yes, I can shift/select 2-3 gears up at a time, but it doesn't skip gear, it just quickly shifts into the gear I selected.
The AT is a bit abrupt when cold, then smooths out nicely.
It's all still breaking in though, and I'm sure the trans logic that's supposed to try and figure out how to shift based on how I drive is completely baffled at this point as I'm trying all manner of ways to shift.

Took it up to around 5K today.
This weekend it will get a good break in.
Then I'll write my paper...er...I mean my review.

The brakes, I love the brakes on my Msport. It could be because the Msports get a higher friction pad, but the bite is great and braking is great.
It's similar to the 135i, but I still think the 135i's huge Brembo's had a bit better feel.
I must have more sport oriented pads as there sure it a LOT of brake dust given I've only driven about 80 miles so far.

Sport seats, AWESOME! I agree, even better than the 135i's.
The only thing that I need to work around is the memory buttons are above the actual seat controls, and I've hit one of the buttons a few times just trying to adjust my seat.
I'm also having a hard time getting the side mirrors and seat adjustment to hold. Half the time I get in and the mirrors are pointing down, and I have to readjust.
I adjusted everything to my liking and did a memory set. I'll see tomorrow if it holds.
Still can't get the trunk to release with swift karate style "wacha!" kick.
Maybe I should try a "Hacha" kick instead.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
emtrey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
We're both ex 135i drivers.

This sport AT is new for me, as I've favored and been driving MT for a very long time. I'm still getting used to AT, and then trying the different ways one can use this trans, full auto, semi auto, manual, sport mode manual, sport mode auto, etc...
I still find myself using the lever to shift, and keep trying to make myself use the paddles shifters.

I do miss being able to skip shift. Yes, I can shift/select 2-3 gears up at a time, but it doesn't skip gear, it just quickly shifts into the gear I selected.
The AT is a bit abrupt when cold, then smooths out nicely.
It's all still breaking in though, and I'm sure the trans logic that's supposed to try and figure out how to shift based on how I drive is completely baffled at this point as I'm trying all manner of ways to shift.

Took it up to around 5K today.
This weekend it will get a good break in.
Then I'll write my paper...er...I mean my review.

The brakes, I love the brakes on my Msport. It could be because the Msports get a higher friction pad, but the bite is great and braking is great.
It's similar to the 135i, but I still think the 135i's huge Brembo's had a bit better feel.
I must have more sport oriented pads as there sure it a LOT of brake dust given I've only driven about 80 miles so far.

Sport seats, AWESOME! I agree, even better than the 135i's.
The only thing that I need to work around is the memory buttons are above the actual seat controls, and I've hit one of the buttons a few times just trying to adjust my seat.
I'm also having a hard time getting the side mirrors and seat adjustment to hold. Half the time I get in and the mirrors are pointing down, and I have to readjust.
I adjusted everything to my liking and did a memory set. I'll see tomorrow if it holds.
Still can't get the trunk to release with swift karate style "wacha!" kick.
Maybe I should try a "Hacha" kick instead.
I have been playing with the paddles a bit but I am more comfortable using the shift lever, too. Too many years of driving 3 pedals cars, including "summer car' currently in my garage before it goes into storage from Nov-April.

If you are the only driver--set it to remember last seat position.
Also, are you locking the car ? In order for it to save those settings car must be locked so it comunicates with your remote (your profile)

On the truck thing...my CA said stand right at the license plate ..kick forward and pull right back..wait a second and trunk pops right up.

Not sure why the brakes are not feeling as strong as I hoped. Also noticed this on test drives. They are good--its just at the end of the stop..maybe its driving a heavier car. No biggie...I go up and back thru 3 cars ( BMW . Infiniti, and 911)..I'll adjust..just felt the 135 Brembos were better.

Where did you buy your car ? I live in nothern suburbs.

Last edited by emtrey; 08-30-2012 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Nice review and congrats on the car
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

thanks for the great review
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

wow the dark wood looks great! congrats!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtrey View Post
I have been playing with the paddles a bit but I am more comfortable using the shift lever, too. Too many years of driving 3 pedals cars, including "summer car' currently in my garage before it goes into storage from Nov-April.

If you are the only driver--set it to remember last seat position.
Also, are you locking the car ? In order for it to save those settings car must be locked so it comunicates with your remote (your profile)

On the truck thing...my CA said stand right at the license plate ..kick forward and pull right back..wait a second and trunk pops right up.

Not sure why the brakes are not feeling as strong as I hoped. Also noticed this on test drives. They are good--its just at the end of the stop..maybe its driving a heavier car. No biggie...I go up and back thru 3 cars ( BMW . Infiniti, and 911)..I'll adjust..just felt the 135 Brembos were better.

Where did you buy your car ? I live in nothern suburbs.
I finally got the foot trunk release to work.

Did you bed your brakes?
I just did it about a couple of hours ago. Managed to get 19mpg while doing it. Did about 20 stops from between 60-80mph.
The brake dust on my wheels is crazy at this point.
I'll need to wash the car before taking picts.
The 135i's brakes are better. My 335i's brakes feel great too.
My only complaint is the loud "thunk" when I release the brake pedal.
I'll put a piece of neoprene or something to quiet that up.

I also got the memory to sync up. I'm sure I was missing something, like you said, the locking thing.

I'm in NW Indiana. Got my 335i from Schererville BMW.
Excellent experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

what trim is that? I love that wood trim but I am pretty sure in Canada we cannot get that trim with the sport line
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #12
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
what trim is that? I love that wood trim but I am pretty sure in Canada we cannot get that trim with the sport line
It's the anthracite wood trim. a $250 option in the US on both 328 and 335 models, unless you get the modern line.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 10:55 PM   #13
emtrey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I finally got the foot trunk release to work.

Did you bed your brakes?
I just did it about a couple of hours ago. Managed to get 19mpg while doing it. Did about 20 stops from between 60-80mph.
The brake dust on my wheels is crazy at this point.
I'll need to wash the car before taking picts.
The 135i's brakes are better. My 335i's brakes feel great too.
My only complaint is the loud "thunk" when I release the brake pedal.
I'll put a piece of neoprene or something to quiet that up.

I also got the memory to sync up. I'm sure I was missing something, like you said, the locking thing.

I'm in NW Indiana. Got my 335i from Schererville BMW.
Excellent experience.
Brakes are starting to feel alot better. I still think the bid Brembos on the 135 had more bit (and looked killer, too)

Have only heard good things about Schererville. I bought mine from Knauz in Lake Bluff, Il.. Also, an outstanding experience.

Weather permitting, I am going to give mine a bath and hopefully get some pictures in less harsh light.

Aren't you glad you popped for the DHP ???
Appreciate 0