F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Tesla Model 3...could it tempt you?
Studio RSR

03-27-2017, 05:06 AM   #45
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Yes but that could be overcome when the popularity scales tip in favour of EV's.

A quick solution based on current battery technology could be to fit a battery cassette (size, shape and connections to be standardised by the manufacturers), so a 'refuel' could be drive in drop your empty pack out, drop recharged one in and drive off in 5 minutes. Fuel stations would then have battery charging racks to charge the pack for the next customers.

However, I'm told the next generation battery is more likely to be a capacitor bank rather than conventional chemical batteries, and capacitors can be charged almost instantly. That would be a game changer, as they are of higher power density too, and don't suffer the heat charge/discharge problems associated with a standard 'battery'.

Or turn our motorways and main A roads into giant scalextric tracks with power supply rails in the road, that power the motors and also charge the batteries for when we are on the minor roads. You wouldn't need a very big battery in the car then, 50 mile range only. Can you imagine the government organising that?
Ah. So, once again, mass uptake relies on the 'next generation' of technology, when/if it actually becomes available. Seems like we've been hearing that same line for EVs forever.

Don't get me wrong - EVs have a place in modern driving. For some people they are suitable. But for a large number of us, they just do not fit with what we need a car to be able to do - range being the most critical point.
Tesla have, to a considerable extent, ameliorated that. If you've got a huge amount of money to spend, that is.
As for cars like the iMIEV, i3 (pure EV, no range extender), and the suchlike, I'll just point out that in the 1920s the 'Detroit Electric' car was being produced, and was marketed as a 'town car' - so much like the little 'city car' EV today. It had a quoted range of 80 miles.
The general tech doesn't seem to have moved on much in 90 years, does it ...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 05:06 AM   #46
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post

The batteries are very large in area and stored in the floor for safety reasons (crashes etc) Not easy to remove quickly. Capacitor system sounds interesting.
Yes you are correct, but as has been mentioned, the recharge time is just not workable beyond a certain saturation of market. In order to overcome this (with current technology) there would need be a move to a standardised battery cassette. It might be that it is a flat underfloor battery.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 05:23 AM   #47
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Yes you are correct, but as has been mentioned, the recharge time is just not workable beyond a certain saturation of market. In order to overcome this (with current technology) there would need be a move to a standardised battery cassette. It might be that it is a flat underfloor battery.
So a bit like changing horses of a stagecoach.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 2
Wills28647.00
      03-27-2017, 05:59 AM   #48
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

It would have handling dynamics like a 3 series vs the model s is mainly known for straight line acceleration. It's not a great handler as it is a large sedan with a long wheel base. Even with the low center of gravity expect it to be more like a 7 series. I can't say at this point that I'm a fan of the styling on the model 3 but it will be seen as a prestige product nonetheless. Though it reminds me of a Mazda 3.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 09:43 AM   #49
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

I personally cant wait for the Tesla be interesting. Right now considering the x but I think be too big. Already have an i3 in the house though its the REX model as hte original one only had 60Ah battery but even that in summer is good for around 80-100 miles range and winder usually around 50.

Current model already real figures from owners are coming up with 150 miles plus. NExt battery end of this year should see another big bump which I cant wait for as planning to get a pure electric BEV i3 next. Its our go to car for short round town drives and wises 80 mile round commute.

Means frequent trips for fuel in mine are not so painful