F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Cataclean - has it killed my car??
Extreme Powerhouse

11-15-2022, 12:19 PM   #1
Najainitro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 316d F30

Cataclean - has it killed my car??

Hi everyone,

I’ve got a 2013 BMW 316d with the N47 engine. It’s got really high miles at 197,000 but I’ve spent a lot of money looking after it including getting the timing chain changed etc so it’s not wanted for anything. It’s been running fine and I’ve had no issues until recently. I’ve used fuel cleaners in the past with no issues and was attracted to cataclean positive advertising claims…

So, I recently put a bottle of it (the diesel one) into my car - I followed the instructions, adding it to a 1/4 tank of fuel and soon after drove about 3 miles. I then parked it up for the night and came back to it the following day. It started up as normal and I left it idling for a few minutes before it cut out. It then wouldn’t start, it turned over but as soon as I took finger off the button it cut out.

It’s been like that since - I’ve changed the fuel filter and removed the fuel lines from the injectors - diesels coming out but at a pretty low pressure -almost like a trickling tap. Nothings coming out of the injectors but I’m guessing that’s because there’s not enough pressure buildup.

These are the main symptoms:

1 Car won’t start at all
2 diesel is being pushed through the rail but at a low pressure it seems
3 the injectors are bone dry and not delivering anything
4 nothings coming through the top of the injectors on a leak back test but
the return pipes on the top of the injectors are pushing diesel back through at the end of the ignition cycle
5 no obvious leaks
6 fault code 249300 is showing up - rail pressure monitoring on engine start: rail pressure too low during engine starting.
7 no other fault codes but one did come up initially which has since disappeared with was ‘sucking jet pump’ fault.

I’m at a loss, I’m guessing and hoping the cataclean has caused a blockage somewhere that I’ll eventually trace and clear without too much cost. My worst fear is the HPFP but I’m hoping the lack of other codes and the fact diesels coming through points away from complete failure.

My biggest problem at the minute is that it can’t move and I really can’t afford to call anyone out to it for a while. I was thinking of sending the injectors for testing but seems pointless if the issue is from the rail back.

Any advice to point me in any direction at the moment would be really appreciated!

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 01:58 PM   #2
Najainitro
Enlisted Member
Rep

These are the fuel pressure figures on turning over:

Fuel pre-supply pressure 3583.0 mbar
Fuel temperature7.56 degr
Electric fuel pump: Activation signal 100%
Rail pressure 11.40 bar
Rail pressure: Setpoint value (when the engine is running) 361.78 bar
Fuel quantity control valve: Activation signal 37.29%
Rail pressure regulating valve:Activation signal 43.20%

Last edited by Najainitro; 11-15-2022 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 12:06 PM   #3
Najainitro
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok so removed the metering unit… it’s really clean and there are no signs of any blockages or metal swarf that would indicate pump failure.

I’m getting to the point where everything is drawing a blank. Pump is seemingly working albeit at low pressure but there’s no obvious reason why it’s so low and the fact there’s only one fault code is making it harder to work out.

Does anyone have any suggestions where to look next?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 12:58 PM   #4
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Pull the codes. They may give you a clue as to what is going on with your car.
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8244.50
      11-21-2022, 04:33 PM   #5
Najainitro
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
Pull the codes. They may give you a clue as to what is going on with your car.
Cheers COKen… the only fault code it’s showing is 249300 - rail pressure monitoring on engine start: rail pressure too low during engine starting.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 08:50 AM   #6
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Looks like it could be a common issue.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...on-with-249300

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1902384
Appreciate 0