F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Which MMI to choose?
ARMA SPEED

11-21-2022, 04:10 PM   #1
Mooney6959
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435xi Convertible

Which MMI to choose?

I posted this in the Electronics section, but wanted to get the opinions of the greater audience.

I'm new here, and went through the first handful page pages on the Nav section to see if this was asked...

There seem to be quite a few MMI manufacturers, some ranging vastly in price from the others.

I don't personally see a difference between them (example Kies @ $700 and GTA @ $400).

I'm sure there are others, but those were the two I immediately ran across.

(I have a Pixel, so am looking specifically for Android-Auto myself)

I have a feeling the drive on my HU is going bad, so figure I may as well add an MMI while I have the HU out.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 05:15 PM   #2
clemsonf31
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i wagon

I purchased a used Andream MMI from a member here for ~$190 and it has been just as good as the ~$600 BimmerTech MMI Prime I had in my last F31. That being said, tech support through BimmerTech was worlds better than Andream, but the BimmerTech warranted more tech support for software updates whereas my Andream hasn’t needed any.

My opinion from my experience: the Andream MMI works very well for the price point

Max
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2022, 10:15 PM   #3
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
You probably know there is a 500 pages thread discussing about MMI.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1675929&page=1
In my case, I bought the Andream and I had hard time at the beginning with this thing disconnecting from my IPhone. Connection is not 100% perfect, but really improved after the updates and I'm in piece with my Andream MMI. For long drives, I just connect the USB and go all the way, and recharging my phone. I use Waze, Google maps, Spotify and Pandora very good.
My display is 6" and if I was looking for MMI now, I would probably investigate something like this:
https://www.android-car-dvd.com/coll...ew960wadcpxnbt

One of the best things with this MMI is that my basic 320 year 2014 didn't have the reverse cam. The MMI allowed me to add the reverse cam and it works really well.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2022, 05:53 AM   #4
ggrcrash
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 x-drive

Pretty much 99.9% percent of them are bootlegged Chinese hardware, just the software is different...barely. in fact, in the beginning, most of the software was interchangeable between manufacturers. Only recently, as in the past couple of years, have the software had differences and not been interchangeable. Customer service is about the only difference, and even that tends to come down to how well they can speak your language...seriously, no joke. For the most part, they are essentially the same; providing that you get the correct hardware for your vehicle, not much different.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2022, 08:43 AM   #5
Mooney6959
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks! I did see the few Andream threads regarding the various versions as well and, to be honest, this is a lot of what turns me off about the Andream. I'm looking for a set it and forget it unit, not something I will want to upgrade.

Also, I prefer a solely Bluetooth unit, not one which requires BT and WiFi.

The price of the Andream is right, and there do seem to be MANY people on here using it, though.
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      11-22-2022, 10:53 AM   #6
ggrcrash
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney6959 View Post
Thanks! I did see the few Andream threads regarding the various versions as well and, to be honest, this is a lot of what turns me off about the Andream. I'm looking for a set it and forget it unit, not something I will want to upgrade.

The price of the Andream is right, and there do seem to be MANY people on here using it, though.
FYI, they are ALL bluetooth, and ALL require WiFi, you just don't have to use either, you can just use wired or wireless....but they will still be bluetooth AND wireless, or wired. You just don't HAVE to use one or the other. But they will both be an option if you want them to be.
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      11-22-2022, 12:45 PM   #7
Mooney6959
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrcrash View Post
FYI, they are ALL bluetooth, and ALL require WiFi, you just don't have to use either, you can just use wired or wireless....but they will still be bluetooth AND wireless, or wired. You just don't HAVE to use one or the other. But they will both be an option if you want them to be.
Thanks! The way the Andream site spells it out, it seems as though, in order to do wireless, that you need to connect to the MMI via both BT and WiFi simultaneously. Am I mis-reading that?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 12:47 PM   #8
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

It all depends on what you have and what you want. In my situation with a base model 320 2014, I was missing connectivity and GPS, beyond the reverse cam.
The cost advantage of Andream or other brands was significant lower when compared to Bimmertech. In addition, I was never confident Bimmertech would be flawless.
The updates I did only once, and it is easy process. Since then there are no others and it is being much less disconnections… it is still not perfect, but acceptable for me.
I'm very glad there are solutions like this available, since a BMW OEM update is way too expensive for the residual value of my car, and having Carplay or Android makes better to drive and attractive for re-sale.
Feels like getting out of stone age… the BMW system that time was really poor.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2022, 12:50 PM   #9
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrcrash View Post
Thanks! The way the Andream site spells it out, it seems as though, in order to do wireless, that you need to connect to the MMI via both BT and WiFi simultaneously. Am I mis-reading that?
You are correct… but this is not a problem… I believe BT only consumes more battery from your cell. I'm not sure why the connection is like this.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 01:42 PM   #10
Mooney6959
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauloxxi View Post
You are correct… but this is not a problem… I believe BT only consumes more battery from your cell. I'm not sure why the connection is like this.
Thanks for the insight, Paulo.

I think my concern with the WiFi connection is any delay there may be when I am leaving my house, and my phone is still connected to my house. Perhaps I'm overthinking this aspect?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 03:34 PM   #11
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the insight, Paulo.

I think my concern with the WiFi connection is any delay there may be when I am leaving my house, and my phone is still connected to my house. Perhaps I'm overthinking this aspect?
My phone for some reason flips between the home Wi-Fi to MMI Wi-Fi when I jump in the car.
My garage is attached.
It is not being a problem.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2022, 03:55 PM   #12
ggrcrash
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No you are not being mislead. Technically, that is ALL of them. Comes down to which phone you actually use, and also the type of original OEM system that you have, whether you can use it wireless or wired.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2022, 03:59 PM   #13
ggrcrash
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My phone for some reason flips between the home Wi-Fi to MMI Wi-Fi when I jump in the car.
My garage is attached.
It is not being a problem.
Just switch off your wireless connection before you leave the house, and then turn it on Just before start your car. You probably have to do this one or two times until your phone recognizes your pattern and does it by itself.. Then you shouldn't have an issue.
Appreciate 2