F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M Performance suspension, too rough?
Extreme Powerhouse

06-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #45
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by focal View Post
$$$$ I negotiated a fixed price at the time of buying the car since we cannot install at port here in Canada and due to delay in getting the parts (see VIP) they offered a further discount. it was frustrating to wait but the service manager advised his best tech to take his time. he took 14 hours!!! but I think if they had to do it again, the book rate of 6-9 hours is about right.

price I paid was much less than newoldbeemer, but it's a tough bill to swallow regardless of what's paid. Get it installed at delivery if you can.
Maybe BMWNA will offer the M options on post-LCI US-spec F30's at reasonable prices. The price differences on parts are not that much, but the savings on labors would be huge. BTW the base needs the rear and front anti-roll bars that come with the sport-line/M-sport for the MPSK swap.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 11:33 AM   #46
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post
Well there are three factors here: your car is a sportline, so some of the suspension components will be reused when doing MPS install. In a base car, all the suspension components have to be replaced. That probably accounts for a big difference in price.

Second, since you did the install at delivery, they probably took the original suspension components and either sold them or returned them to BMW or something like that. Just guessing.

Third, you are in a different country than me. Not sure if that can be a factor but I think prices tend to differ a little bit based on country.
my sport line did NOT Have the sports suspension so I needed the sways installed. Sports suspension was an option on CDN sport line models in 2012 and 2013. Hence the long install time for the sways. I had a BASE suspension. The MPS was installed almost three months after taking delivery since the correct parts weren't found or delivered correctly to the dealer from BMW Canada. I got the old suspension returned to me.

Lastly, Canada MSRP$ is MUCH > US $ for the MPS and any BMW OEM part/car so the price i got was very good.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #47
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30D View Post
I finally broke my engine in and took the Msport suspension for a proper ride this weekend. 328dMline-Let me tell you, my old 13 328I Shit line would be screaming at 80mph on a bend behind my house. I flew by that same section of curves at 120 with no loss of control. needless to say I kept the garage open that night and cooled her down for 30 min. First time I ever heard the after cooler hahaha I wouldn't dare take my old f30 328I down that road side ways at those speeds. The car has a different personality. I drive hard, there is no choice for me.
real M3/4 > MPS > Msport DHP > Msport > Base suspension
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #48
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by focal View Post
real M3/4 > MPS > Msport DHP > Msport > Base suspension
So maybe it would be wise to spring for a M3 then. A US-spec 335i MT optioned to M3 MT US- spec(including M sport brake, MPE, MPPK, MPSK, and ZTP, ZPP, etc, etc) is probably similarly priced as M3(and minus the extra hp/lb-ft and hardware), esp. with the extra labor hours on M performance upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 07:38 AM   #49
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
So maybe it would be wise to spring for a M3 then. A US-spec 335i MT optioned to M3 MT US- spec(including M sport brake, MPE, MPPK, MPSK, and ZTP, ZPP, etc, etc) is probably similarly priced as M3(and minus the extra hp/lb-ft and hardware), esp. with the extra labor hours on M performance upgrades.

for some people, you cannot let things stay stock. Have you priced out modifying a M?

modded M3/4 > stock M3/4

and for some a modded but loaded 335i is close enough to a stock M3 because of the visual improvements and real world uses (not taking to a track). for a daily driver, a modded 335i is a better proposition. Cheaper parts to maintain and the hobby of planning/buying/installing mods.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #50
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by focal
Quote:
Well there are three factors here: your car is a sportline, so some of the suspension components will be reused when doing MPS install. In a base car, all the suspension components have to be replaced. That probably accounts for a big difference in price.

Second, since you did the install at delivery, they probably took the original suspension components and either sold them or returned them to BMW or something like that. Just guessing.

Third, you are in a different country than me. Not sure if that can be a factor but I think prices tend to differ a little bit based on country.
my sport line did NOT Have the sports suspension so I needed the sways installed. Sports suspension was an option on CDN sport line models in 2012 and 2013. Hence the long install time for the sways. I had a BASE suspension. The MPS was installed almost three months after taking delivery since the correct parts weren't found or delivered correctly to the dealer from BMW Canada. I got the old suspension returned to me.

Lastly, Canada MSRP$ is MUCH > US $ for the MPS and any BMW OEM part/car so the price i got was very good.
That's good to know you got a good price!

Why would anyone want to modify a new m3? Aren't those things perfect?
      06-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #51
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

Quote:
Why would anyone want to modify a new m3? Aren't those things perfect?
Nothing in this world is Perfect
      06-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #52
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer
I read many threads on BMW forums where people switch to non RFTs and are surprised that they lost turn-in crispness / sharpness, possibly because of softer sidewalls.

Wish I could test drive an f30 with non-RFTs to see for myself
When I took off the OEM RFT and put Michelin PSS (staggered OEM 18" sizes) on my car the increase in turn-in crispness was beyond another level. Different tires than PSS may provide different results, but I can attest that my car became WAY better after donating the OEM RFT to a friend!
      06-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #53
munch520
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328i M Sport

Quote:
And the MPS tribe grows
Add another here MPS 'on order' with getBMWparts. My Msport 328 is still on the boat but I have an install appt for 7/3. Spacers and MPS will be on the car in the first 250mi
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #54
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

Quote:
Oh and make sure the springs are red. Those are the correct ones.
      06-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #55
munch520
First Lieutenant
Rep

Now I can just sit around and look at it til my car gets here. Thanks for the recommendation/PMs vip! Really nice that it comes with all the necessary bushings. No re using.

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #56
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
Now I can just sit around and look at it til my car gets here. Thanks for the recommendation/PMs vip! Really nice that it comes with all the necessary bushings. No re using.

You got the suspension before the car?! We enthusiasts are crazy! Nice
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 09:36 PM   #57
munch520
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer
Quote:

Suspension, painted reflectors, spacers, the list goes on...I want it to be set the way I want from day one. And many thanks to this forum for helping me to get those preferences dialed in!

My wife just sits here and rolls her eyes lol
      06-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #58
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Yep, much of what we do is crazy to most folks...
      06-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #59
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

awesome! You gonna love it man! Yep, they include everything in it, even new bolts.
      06-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #60
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

got some passenger seat time this past weekend, as I tossed my keys to my brother who's been itching to try my F30 328i RWD 6MT w/ MPS

FYI - current owner of E91, E61, X3, E46 330xi

after a few drives, he started to push it and barely could loose grip. His first words to describe it was "balanced". I have set up square 245/40/18 with non run flats. He couldn't get it to over steer nor understeer (within reasonable driving).

Detroit roads are rough in spots and it handled them really well. Very compliant.

He was really impressed with the MPS and in the end thought it was really good value for real world uses.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #61
Monkey Punk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

so jealous right now.

I am going to be waiting a loooooong time for my bmw and can't wait to get this done.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #62
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
For those that have M performance suspension, how's the ride? Is it too rough to bear or is it just the right amount of firmness?

I'm coming from an E46 ZHP where the suspension felt "just right". Firm but not punishing. Would really like to get back to that feel as much as possible.
It's just right....

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #63
munch520
First Lieutenant
Rep

For those have you that have put this on, I'm familiarizing myself with all the parts before I head to a shop for install. Want to be able to answer the tech/installer's questions if they arise, especially this came with zero directions.

Where do the circled components go? I'm assuming around the shocks somewhere based on their size and shape but just want to confirm...

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #64
munch520
First Lieutenant
Rep

Bump - anyone know the answer to the above question?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #65
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
For those have you that have put this on, I'm familiarizing myself with all the parts before I head to a shop for install. Want to be able to answer the tech/installer's questions if they arise, especially this came with zero directions.

Where do the circled components go? I'm assuming around the shocks somewhere based on their size and shape but just want to confirm...

TIA!
pic is a bit blurry, but based on my install of the E90, the top two look like rubber spring pads for the rear spring and the bottom item looks like the front spring pad.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #66
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

correct. they are rubber mounts for the bottom and top part of the spring. if your shop i reputable, you shouldnt have to explain to them how to install it all ha.