F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Polish and Sealant/Wax Question
GetBMWParts

03-13-2015, 11:59 PM   #1
JP1200
Rep
Drives: 2012 328

Polish and Sealant/Wax Question

Hey everyone. Last weekend I purchased my first BMW, a CPO 328 in melbourne red. Overall the car is in great shape, but the paint is pretty trashed (at least by my standards). Obviously I dont how it was taken care of by the previous owner, but the swirls and RIDS make think they were drying it with old blue jeans or somthing. I am by no means a professional, but on my previous rides I have always done my own corrections with either a PC or GG6. I was out of the detailing game for a little bit but want to get back in. My question is this, how soft or hard is the clear on these things. And to that end, what polishes have yall found to work best. I was thinking of trying out some of the Wolfgang stuff where I was previously using a bunch of Menz on my GTI. Any opinions?

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 05:58 PM   #2
sirhawes
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 328i Imperial Blue

From what I've read it's a very hard clear coat so you will need a very cut polish
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 06:13 AM   #3
OdinAutoDetailing
Glorified Car Washer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i

Test spot! Only way to know.

As far as I know, at least some of the Wolfgang stuff is in fact relabeled Menz.

Meg's (M100, M101, M105), Scholl S2/S3 XXL/S3 Gold, Shine Supply Flat Top/Classic Cut, 3D/HD, Menz... There's a list to start on compounds most of the detailers I know use.

Feel free to check out and "Like" my Facebook business page.
facebook.com/odindetail
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 08:19 AM   #4
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Give Menzerna PF2500 a try and see if that does a good job for you. It's a great one step polish on metallic BMW paints.

On an aside, I love Sonax Polymer Netshield for a sealant.
      03-17-2015, 06:28 PM   #5
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32 View Post
On an aside, I love Sonax Polymer Netshield for a sealant.
Same here, great product

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1200 View Post
My question is this, how soft or hard is the clear on these things. And to that end, what polishes have yall found to work best. I was thinking of trying out some of the Wolfgang stuff where I was previously using a bunch of Menz on my GTI. Any opinions?
I did a 2-step polish a few months ago and i've found that the paint on BMWs is as HARD AS HELL. I spent pretty most of two days during a long 4-day weekend on my car using a DA random orbital using M105 (strongest cutting available by meg) and a medium pad.

While i was able to get rid of all the water spots, and swirl marks, all the RIDs remained. I was pretty exhausted by the end of it and a little bit discouraged. Just my opinion here, but i don't think you need to baby the paint on BMWs. But do follow all the good practice techniques you've been taught on videos. The other poster had good advice as far as always doing a test spot for your own piece of mind, but just wanted to give you a data point on what awaits you my friend ...

I don't have a thickness gauge, but i hear our CC's are around 90-120 microns out of the factory and that each time you do a serious cutting polish, it takes around 2-4 microns off. YMMV

I hate when these detailers give a before and after video showing their amazing work, but they usually don't tell you that they literally stood there over the car for 12 hours to get to where they did...

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 11:41 PM   #7
JP1200
Rep
Drives: 2012 328

Thanks for the input so far. I ordered a few microfibers and a nanoskin sponge the other day so I threw in a free sample of the wolfgang TSR 3.0. The weather down here has been pretty crappy for a couple weeks so I haven't had a chance to bring out the polisher yet. I am thinking of getting the new megs MT300 anyway so it may have to wait a little while longer.

On a side note, I did play with the nanoskin a little bit tonight. That little deal is pretty sweet. Way faster than clay and seemed to work just as well on the small area I worked on.
Appreciate 0