F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Calling all 320i owners with BMS Stage II
Studio RSR

10-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
AgentCircus
Aviator
Rep
Drives: X3

Calling all 320i owners with BMS Stage II

Debating between the stage 1 and stage 2 (I have the electronic waste gate so I won't benefit as much from stage 2) and have some questions for you guys:

If you went from stock to stage 2:
1. How long did the install take you, since the stage 2 kit (non-upgrade) is prewired?
2. Did the kit come with 320i specific install instructions?

If you upgraded from stage 1 to stage 2:
1. Was there a noticeable difference going from stage 1 to stage 2?

General Questions:
1. Once all the connectors were installed, does it automatically set itself to Map 5? I don't have a PC (Mac only), so this could be a factor in Stage 1 versus 2 if I need a computer to set the map.

2. I read about getting the USB cable and the flex fuel connectors. I don't plan on running anything other than 93, so I do not need the flex fuel connector - correct? And as far as the USB cable, not sure if I need this or not.

I read almost every post from BMS, watched the videos, and read all the install guides on their site - but all the information is scattered and disjointed so I wanted to get some 320i specific info before making the purchase.

Thanks!

Last edited by AgentCircus; 10-06-2013 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 06:07 AM   #2
AgentCircus
Aviator
Rep

No one?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
speedyvk
Private
Rep
Drives: Ford ST 2.5, 2013 F30 320i

I havent installed my stage 2 yet, since i ordered it last night.

Before ordering i wrote to Terry from BMS to make sure i dont scew up my order and order the right things, he told me that i would need flex fuel.

Bout usb cable which i ordered as well, as far as i know its for map 5 which u set up via laptop and BMS software.

ps - also getting downpipe, so hopefully some nice bump in power ))
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
AgentCircus
Aviator
Rep

At this point since I won't be able to take advantage of Stage 2, the decision is now between the BMS Stage I and the AFE Power Scorcher. Not sure if the extra ~$100 on the AFE module is worth the extra 1 PSI.

Or I could wait until January when Vishnu comes out with their OFT for our vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentCircus View Post
At this point since I won't be able to take advantage of Stage 2, the decision is now between the BMS Stage I and the AFE Power Scorcher. Not sure if the extra ~$100 on the AFE module is worth the extra 1 PSI.

Or I could wait until January when Vishnu comes out with their OFT for our vehicles.
Can you point me to where you heard something about Vishnu doing N20 cars?

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
AgentCircus
Aviator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Can you point me to where you heard something about Vishnu doing N20 cars?
I emailed them and got this response:

"we have a new N20 shop car but unfortunately have not had enough time to get the tune developed, Most likeley an OFT release in early 2014, stay posted."
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
I emailed them and got this response:

"we have a new N20 shop car but unfortunately have not had enough time to get the tune developed, Most likeley an OFT release in early 2014, stay posted."
That is excellent news.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
AgentCircus
Aviator
Rep

It is! Better than the response I got from Cobb (no plans to develop for the 320i). I'll probably wait until the first of the year before I get anything just unless I can get a great deal on a used AFE or BMS here on the boards.

Who knows, maybe BMS will have the N26 electronic waste gate cracked by then as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

The Stage2 makes a lot more power on the 320 than the Stage1 does. Just look at this dyno done on an electric wastegate car.

Regarding N20 flash tuning I would not hold my breath on that with the new DME encryption algorithms. Besides flash tuning is always a bad idea for cars under the factory warranty period.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
schrickm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M550d xdrive touring

If you crash your car, doesn't the BMW control module record the last reading of psi through the turbo?

If that's the case and BMW read the psi - wouldn't your warranty be voided?

Previous Cars:- 2015 GTR > 2014 M5 CP > 2006 M6> 2007 M5 E61 > 2014 F31 328xi >2001 E39 530i > 1995 E34 M5 > 1999 Alpina B8 > 1992 E34 M5 >
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #11
vader1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrickm5 View Post
If you crash your car, doesn't the BMW control module record the last reading of psi through the turbo?

BMW does not warranty the crash so what is the point?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
AgentCircus
Aviator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The Stage2 makes a lot more power on the 320 than the Stage1 does. Just look at this dyno done on an electric wastegate car.

Regarding N20 flash tuning I would not hold my breath on that with the new DME encryption algorithms. Besides flash tuning is always a bad idea for cars under the factory warranty period.

Mike
What kind of fuel was used in that Stage 2 run? If I could get those numbers on pump gas then it's a no brainer. I thought that the electric wastegate guys were getting somewhere between Stage 1 and Stage 2 (at least that's what it says in the installation instructions), hence one of the reasons I started this thread. To get some feedback on how this was performing day to day.

That's a good point about the flash tuning. My break in period is almost over, so I'll be making my decision in the next few days.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #13
jfisher160
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is Coupe

Here is the link all about the 320i Stage 1 and Stage 2 info that Mike was working on.

The 266whp was Beta Tune Map 5 from what the tread said and just running 91 fuel i believe. Because Mike said they needed to work on the Fuel mix and Electronic waste gate and was going to try E85 in it also.

So if I read that correct its just pump gas 91.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849566

Sold - 2007 328i (3-Stage Manifold - BMW Perf Intake w/Scoops - Powerbox - Magnaflow Exhaust - MMW Headers - KW Street Comfort - VMR 701s 19' w/M3 offset - BMW Strut Brace - 330I Brake Conversation - 5% Tint All Around - 8K HID Fog Lights -Angel Eyes)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
Rasengan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 428i M Sport

Quote:

Think about what you just asked for a second...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 01:28 AM   #15
speedyvk
Private
Rep
Drives: Ford ST 2.5, 2013 F30 320i

Quote:
Debating between the stage 1 and stage 2 (I have the electronic waste gate so I won't benefit as much from stage 2) and have some questions for you guys:

If you went from stock to stage 2:
1. How long did the install take you, since the stage 2 kit (non-upgrade) is prewired?
2. Did the kit come with 320i specific install instructions?

If you upgraded from stage 1 to stage 2:
1. Was there a noticeable difference going from stage 1 to stage 2?

General Questions:
1. Once all the connectors were installed, does it automatically set itself to Map 5? I don't have a PC (Mac only), so this could be a factor in Stage 1 versus 2 if I need a computer to set the map.

2. I read about getting the USB cable and the flex fuel connectors. I don't plan on running anything other than 93, so I do not need the flex fuel connector - correct? And as far as the USB cable, not sure if I need this or not.

I read almost every post from BMS, watched the videos, and read all the install guides on their site - but all the information is scattered and disjointed so I wanted to get some 320i specific info before making the purchase.

Thanks!
This is kinda my review of instalation and opinion of bms stage 2 tune, i went from stock to stage 2 (i also have donwpipe, but unfortunatly i ordered the wrong one, now i have to send it back and get new one.. so it will be some time before i get it installed )

I installed bms stage 2 tune on my 320i yesterday, installation took me almost 2 days, because i wasn't sure on some installations and i wanted to do it right, so i contacted Terry from bms, and with time difference when i got reply...well, i got it instaled a day later, at first i found it a bit tricky with sensor removing, but once i figure it all out, its so easy and fast to install it or remove it.

tune didint come with manual, i had to download it from bms site, also video reference for bms n20 stage2 install was a very big help, i wish i watched it first hehe would helped a lot with install

anyway, i got software for my mac from n54tech, and interface update, was very simple instalation using laptop and selecting map 5.

So i went for a loong drive to test a tune, let the car warm up first, while driving normally u defiantly feel there is more power at lower reves, car wants to pull, wasn't there before the tune.

accelerating on high way like form 80s km to 160km, car becomes more alive and pulls a lot more, but i wouldnt say something crazy and omg, (btw was like above sea level, maybe 800m o more, i hear it makes difference in power )

the most diference in power i noticed when i accelerated in 1st and 2nd gear up to 100km, it really noticable and pulls much more harder now.

So in general im happy with a tune, tbh i did expected to be more power, but its maybe because i read some reviews were some people said it was OMG when they upgraded to stage 2.

hehe anyway it is feels a bit faster then my old focus 2.5 st with 225 horses, So i defiantly would recommend this tune to anyone thinking of getting one, its cheap and super easy to remove it if u need to go to dealer

Next week on tuesday i will be doing dyno test, so hopefully can see the power increase (never done it before tbh, hope Spanish peeps know hot to do it right!)

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 01:46 AM   #16
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasengan
Quote:

Think about what you just asked for a second...
LMAO!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #17
AgentCircus
Aviator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyvk View Post
This is kinda my review of instalation and opinion of bms stage 2 tune, i went from stock to stage 2 (i also have donwpipe, but unfortunatly i ordered the wrong one, now i have to send it back and get new one.. so it will be some time before i get it installed )

I installed bms stage 2 tune on my 320i yesterday, installation took me almost 2 days, because i wasn't sure on some installations and i wanted to do it right, so i contacted Terry from bms, and with time difference when i got reply...well, i got it instaled a day later, at first i found it a bit tricky with sensor removing, but once i figure it all out, its so easy and fast to install it or remove it.

tune didint come with manual, i had to download it from bms site, also video reference for bms n20 stage2 install was a very big help, i wish i watched it first hehe would helped a lot with install

anyway, i got software for my mac from n54tech, and interface update, was very simple instalation using laptop and selecting map 5.

So i went for a loong drive to test a tune, let the car warm up first, while driving normally u defiantly feel there is more power at lower reves, car wants to pull, wasn't there before the tune.

accelerating on high way like form 80s km to 160km, car becomes more alive and pulls a lot more, but i wouldnt say something crazy and omg, (btw was like above sea level, maybe 800m o more, i hear it makes difference in power )

the most diference in power i noticed when i accelerated in 1st and 2nd gear up to 100km, it really noticable and pulls much more harder now.

So in general im happy with a tune, tbh i did expected to be more power, but its maybe because i read some reviews were some people said it was OMG when they upgraded to stage 2.

hehe anyway it is feels a bit faster then my old focus 2.5 st with 225 horses, So i defiantly would recommend this tune to anyone thinking of getting one, its cheap and super easy to remove it if u need to go to dealer

Next week on tuesday i will be doing dyno test, so hopefully can see the power increase (never done it before tbh, hope Spanish peeps know hot to do it right!)

Thanks. Looking forward to hearing about those Dyno results.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #18
AgentCircus
Aviator
Rep

Nevermind, just saw that you posted the results on the other thread. Thanks!
Appreciate 0