F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Today's the day
Extreme Powerhouse

03-14-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
Tiller
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 3 Series

Today's the day

Hi All,

Well today's the day I get delivery of my 320d EfficientDynamics, sometime between 13:00 and 18:00 today just to keep me guessing.

I ordered back in January so it's been a good 8 weeks patiently waiting.

Final options list was:

Automatic Gearbox (for the london driving)
Adaptive M sport suspension
Venetian Beige Leather
Sports seats
HK Audio System
Electric Lumbar support
Sliding front armrest
De-badge

Tried to add Variable Sport Steering late in the day but was told the car was already built so I'll have to see how it turns out.

Will update with pics later.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiller View Post
Hi All,

Well today's the day I get delivery of my 320d EfficientDynamics, sometime between 13:00 and 18:00 today just to keep me guessing.

I ordered back in January so it's been a good 8 weeks patiently waiting.

Final options list was:

Automatic Gearbox (for the london driving)
Adaptive M sport suspension
Venetian Beige Leather
Sports seats
HK Audio System
Electric Lumbar support
Sliding front armrest
De-badge

Tried to add Variable Sport Steering late in the day but was told the car was already built so I'll have to see how it turns out.

Will update with pics later.
Congrats look forward to seeing the pics of your new motor enjoy
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330e MSport

Congrats. Don't worry about the steering. I had the same thoughts, the steering is beautiful

This is my 1st automatic ever and The gearbox is heavenly!
// /M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Coral Red Leather | M Sport Plus Pack | Media Pro Plus Pack | Active Security Pack | Adaptive LED Lights | Advanced Parking Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Enhanced Bluetooth with Wireless Charging| Black Performance Grill | Heated Seats | Heated Steering | Speed Limit Display

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #4
Tiller
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 3 Series

Ok so the car turned up at 13:30 so not too much waiting to do. It came on the back of a giant enclosed lorry packaged up with a Fiat Punto. I was a little bit annoyed to see that it wasn't immaculate outside and the lorry driver had smeared some grease on the beige plastic of the door handled whilst driving it off the back.

That aside first driving impressions are positive, it feels very, very tight in terms of the engine and gearbox but I'm hoping with my 600 miles/week commute it will be a lot looser by the same time next week.

Some observations:

- Average mpg was 57.2 on OBC on a fastish commute involving a cold start (2.5 degrees) then backroads followed by the M25/M1 combo at around 75ish in eco pro. Realistically I was expecting over 60 in these kind of conditions but it was cold and the car is not run in.

- The steering - A lot has been said about this but I took it out on some favourite roads last night and it did seem to be well weighted, quick and accurate in comfort/sport. In eco-pro it is admittedly a bit baggy with too much play and then sudden heft/movement it seems very non linear.

- Suspension - As I mentioned I have the adaptive suspension, first question; does anyone know if I can set this up independently of driving mode? Either way in comfort it is pretty much as good as a Jaguar XK I drove recently which is to say very good. It does get caught out occasionally but it's nowhere near as bad as my old 123d coupe.

- Other - HK audio is good, DAB absolutely rubbish but free so who cares. Toys and electronics I've yet to get the hang of, the car wouldn't connect to my rubbish old Samsung E2550 (cheapest in phone4u) so that's getting binned. More annoying was the inability to stream music via the basic bluetooth from a mate's Iphone 4s.

More observations and pics to follow. So far very impressed though.

P.S does anyone know whether I need a Y cable connector to play music, maybe that's the issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 04:59 AM   #5
jimboss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

Glad your enjoying your new steed. I wouldn't bother with a Y cable.....get a cheap memory stick and load up your Itunes onto that......works a treat and you can just keep it in the USB port and its all hidden away undet the armrest.

My work phone, (an old crappy nokia), doesnt hook up to the bluetooth either, annoying, but my iphone 5 has no issues. I think the guys on here have got bluetooth streaming to work in their iphones..all in the settings.....

strange to hear you think the DAB is rubbish especially as your london based. I'm in the Herts and it works a treat.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Bluetooth streaming works fine with iPhones, just go to connections and enable Audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiller View Post
first question; does anyone know if I can set this up independently of driving mode?
In iDrive you can set the sport mode to be chassis only. Then you have to manually put the gearbox in sport by moving the gear selector leaver to the left (assuming it's an auto). That way you can control them independently but you do seem to loose the ability to put the steering in sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #7
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i xDrive M Sport Saloon

My iPod classic works fine with standard apple cable rather than y cable. I am loving the upload from a usb storage device to the hard drive though, it's great. You can get such cheap mass storage USB sticks now that had I not got the iPod classic i'd just go with Jim's suggestion.

Have to admit I also find the DAB is great. There are a few dead spots i go through on my way to work but they just mute for half a second or so (I listen to Talksport) but i'm finding the clarity excellent.

Also i've only used my iPhone 5 via the bluetooth for taking a phone call once so far but again the clarity was excellent.

Loving the h/k upgrade too.

Hope you enjoy your motor this weekend!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

[QUOTE=Tiller;13642735]
Some observations:
HK audio is good, DAB absolutely rubbish but free so who cares. QUOTE]

I agree, DAB sounds rubbish. It's not free either as there was a price rise to have it included.