F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Miss my F30: Loaner E90 whatever body style
proTUNING Freaks

11-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #45
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObviousChild View Post
I preferred the E46 dash to the E90 dash....and I've been staring at that for 6 years now (the E90 dash). I love the F30 dash. The E46 felt like a cockpit where the instruments faced the driver. e90 got away from this and F30 seems to move back to that feel.

The E90 dash just reminds me of a Buick with the one huge dash piece that extends across 65% of the cabin.

I have mixed feelings about the F30. I like the looks of the F30 exterior over the E90. F32 TBD. I also feel the interior of the F30 looks more modern and love that it has the HUD option finally. But...

The base wheel (haven't tried a sport one) in the F30 feels extremely cheap and rubbery over the E90.

Most of the wood-based trim options look terrible and that's coming from someone with the burl walnut trim (looks great) when I had an E93, carbon leather trim now and F30 isn't near as nice looking as either.

The controls seem a little to plasticky for my tastes and I hate the use of shiny silver colored plastic bits all over.

Also disappointed with the switch from hydraulic to electric steering (I can definitely feel the difference in a test drive) and that these cars seem to get bigger and bigger every year. My E92 looks huge next to an E46 and the F30 is even bigger yet!

I like the look of the new iDrive screen but I think it's less practical because the double hump provides shade from the sun and eliminates glare. To me, the new design makes it look like its meant to fold up and down or something.

Going to have to pay careful attention to see what BMW does to the next M3 or M4 or whatever they're going to call the F32 M-car. May have to start considering alternatives from MB and Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #46
mslam02
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i M sport

I just wanted to add my personal experiences to this topic... Also this would be my first BMW purchase.

The other day i went in set on a new f30 328 sedan, test drove that, felt good to drive, and the interior is an amazing update vs the e90. But they also had a 2011 335 sedan on the lot that i was also considering. Took this for a test drive and wow, the E90's have so much more of a "driver's car" feel to it than the f30's, a lot of it does have to do with the new electronic steering, but speed differences aside, it drove so so crisp and precise and just felt "right." but I just can't overlook the interior, it so plain and "dated" as others have mentioned, compared to the f30. But the way it drives was also AMAZING (I'd rate 10 out of 10) compared to f30's driving feel at 8 out of 10

so i am in a predicament now, where i cant decide on whether or not to go for the similarly priced preowned 335 or go new with the f30 328. and for the record i did test drive an f30 with the dynamic handling package to attempt to get the best comparison for feel
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #47
NotQuickEnough
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330ci & 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslam02 View Post
I just wanted to add my personal experiences to this topic... Also this would be my first BMW purchase.

The other day i went in set on a new f30 328 sedan, test drove that, felt good to drive, and the interior is an amazing update vs the e90. But they also had a 2011 335 sedan on the lot that i was also considering. Took this for a test drive and wow, the E90's have so much more of a "driver's car" feel to it than the f30's, a lot of it does have to do with the new electronic steering, but speed differences aside, it drove so so crisp and precise and just felt "right." but I just can't overlook the interior, it so plain and "dated" as others have mentioned, compared to the f30. But the way it drives was also AMAZING (I'd rate 10 out of 10) compared to f30's driving feel at 8 out of 10

so i am in a predicament now, where i cant decide on whether or not to go for the similarly priced preowned 335 or go new with the f30 328. and for the record i did test drive an f30 with the dynamic handling package to attempt to get the best comparison for feel
Did the e90 you drove have nav? Because I can't see how anyone can say this interior is outdated...

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #48
mslam02
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuickEnough View Post
Did the e90 you drove have nav? Because I can't see how anyone can say this interior is outdated...
No, it didnt, i should have pointed that out... Without nav, its very basic. Ive actually been searching for a 2011 with nav and sport package, found one but its 3.5 hours away
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #49
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
No, it didnt, i should have pointed that out... Without nav, its very basic. Ive actually been searching for a 2011 with nav and sport package, found one but its 3.5 hours away
I think that might actually be the point...the F30, with or without Nav, is much more upscale IMO...

The "solidness", however, I can see as a lacking in the new F30. I'm sure the build standards are the same, but it does feel different...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #50
mslam02
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
I think that might actually be the point...the F30, with or without Nav, is much more upscale IMO...

The "solidness", however, I can see as a lacking in the new F30. I'm sure the build standards are the same, but it does feel different...
yes i absolutely agree with this. F30 Interior is great, no matter the package. And yes the ride is different, not necessarily poorer in quality. I wish i hadn't even taken the test drive in the 2011, while the "feel" in the f30 is great, the E90's drive is just plain addictive...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #51
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
It's totally outdated. It was designed in 2003, launched in 2005, and has been seen and experienced by millions of drivers.

I appreciate the fact that you like your interior, that's cool and all. But it's a component of a used car now, we view it no differently than you view an E46 interior. There are many that view the E36 and E46 as "classic" 3 Series; no one is bestowing that kind of respect on the E90, sorry.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #52
NotQuickEnough
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330ci & 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
It's totally outdated. It was designed in 2003, launched in 2005, and has been seen and experienced by millions of drivers.

I appreciate the fact that you like your interior, that's cool and all. But it's a component of a used car now, we view it no differently than you view an E46 interior. There are many that view the E36 and E46 as "classic" 3 Series; no one is bestowing that kind of respect on the E90, sorry.

BJ
Just repeating the same thing over again does not make it a fact. I still have not had an explanation from anyone how the e90 interior with nav is outdated. Sure it may be missing some tech gadgets like the HUD but that's all they are.. electronics that will be outdated in a few years. BTW I do think the e46 and e36 interiors are nice, they are not outdated they are functional... those old interiors are in no way holding the cars back.. the driver still have full enjoyment of the driving experience.. you know the thing that makes BMWs great.. not the number of features you can brag to your buddies about.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #53
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noor View Post
GORGEOUS Reminds me of something I ride everyday but with smaller screen
Yeah that nav screen is awesome.. it kinda reminds me of the one they put in the 2008 CTS.....sorry , I had to do it,,,,but it is true & I know how you love Caddy's BJ...But yes while not the colors I'd choose, the F30 interior is beautiful.

Last edited by Reznick; 11-12-2012 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: added info
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #54
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

Quote:
Just repeating the same thing over again does not make it a fact. I still have not had an explanation from anyone how the e90 interior with nav is outdated. Sure it may be missing some tech gadgets like the HUD but that's all they are.. electronics that will be outdated in a few years. BTW I do think the e46 and e36 interiors are nice, they are not outdated they are functional... those old interiors are in no way holding the cars back.. the driver still have full enjoyment of the driving experience.. you know the thing that makes BMWs great.. not the number of features you can brag to your buddies about.
I had posted earlier that I thought the e90 interior was a let down. To me I assumed that with a complete redesign, BMW would evolve the interior a bit more. You are correct though any e9x car with nav full leather and all the options is still a beautiful cockpit(especially if you have a contrasting color with the leather. All black can feel cold, (although thats what my e46 is & I love it) Thats why I wonder if the OP didn't have a "stripper" e90 loaner. I really to like the F30 interior, but the "carved" wood in the luxury is bordering on gaudy . Sorry to offend anyone.Just my opinion
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #55
S-Dot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznick View Post
I had posted earlier that I thought the e90 interior was a let down. To me I assumed that with a complete redesign, BMW would evolve the interior a bit more. You are correct though any e9x car with nav full leather and all the options is still a beautiful cockpit(especially if you have a contrasting color with the leather. All black can feel cold, (although thats what my e46 is & I love it) Thats why I wonder if the OP didn't have a "stripper" e90 loaner. I really to like the F30 interior, but the "carved" wood in the luxury is bordering on gaudy . Sorry to offend anyone.Just my opinion
The carved or textured wood is the "Fineline Wood" on the Modern Line. Not my style either. It would be interesting to see a sales breakdown by lines and interior finishes.

Primarily based on interior style, I skipped the E90 entirely, going from an '05 E46 330xi to the F30. It was a long wait... The dash arrangement of the E90 was not my style at all, but style is a personal thing. To me, it seems very linear and rather boring, and not focused upon the driver like the E46. Particularly boring looking for me was the looooooong and featureless piece of trim (wood or aluminum) that extended from the driver's bubble all the way to the passenger door. The poster that indicated this reminded them of a Buick hit the nail on the head - that's precisely the reaction I had.

And the E90 cup holders were not a plus either! Niggling point for some, but it's a real oversight, particularly for longer trips!

The F30 returns much more toward that driver-centric look and feel, and updates it to a much more contemporary style as well. I still don't think it's the best interior in it's class, but it's a good design and a very nice improvement.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #56
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:

There is no explanation for "outdated" when it comes to design. It's outdated because you know it's outdated.

Member's Only jacket, hottest fashion item of 1981. Functionally, it's still a relevant jacket. It's got pockets, zipper-front, self-adjusting cuffs, mid-weight protects down to 40 degrees. But no one wears them. People pay more money for a lesser jacket. Why? Because it's outdated, that's why.

When you buy a $50,000 German luxury status-symbol, looks matter.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #57
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Coming from an E92, there is nothing I'll miss about the interior design, or functionality. In fact, the new free-standing Nav placement actually became one of my favorite things! Makes for a more open, spacious cabin, IMO.

Actually, I will really miss the ALL function for the A/C. How can they take that off?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #58
TheObviousChild
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp xDrive - '21 X3M40

Quote:

There is no explanation for "outdated" when it comes to design. It's outdated because you know it's outdated.

Member's Only jacket, hottest fashion item of 1981. Functionally, it's still a relevant jacket. It's got pockets, zipper-front, self-adjusting cuffs, mid-weight protects down to 40 degrees. But no one wears them. People pay more money for a lesser jacket. Why? Because it's outdated, that's why.

When you buy a $50,000 German luxury status-symbol, looks matter.

BJ

I still miss my black Member's Only jacket....Felt like an 8 year old badass in that thing.

I also miss my E46 dash......but I'm confident F30 will make me forget allll about it.

Previous: 2020 M340 / 2017 X3 / 2016 340xi / 2013 335xi / 2011 X3 / 2010 328i / 2007 328i / 2004 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #59
cgpublic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 A3 2.0T Quattro

The Reason

Quote:
But they also had a 2011 335 sedan on the lot that i was also considering. Took this for a test drive and wow, the E90's have so much more of a "driver's car" feel to it than the f30's, a lot of it does have to do with the new electronic steering, but speed differences aside, it drove so so crisp and precise and just felt "right."
There is a simple explanation for your experience. There are rumors circulating the internet that while the F30 may look like a BMW, it does not in fact drive like a BMW.

In defense of the F30, I've been told certain models feature an extended display with digital gauges. Or something similar.

No fear, the new M will feature the same steering as found in the E90.

At a 50K premium.

Past: 2008 E90 328xi | Montego Blue | Dakota Black | Brushed Aluminum
Packages & Options: Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Heated Seats | iPod
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #60
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpublic View Post
There is a simple explanation for your experience. There are rumors circulating the internet that while the F30 may look like a BMW, it does not in fact drive like a BMW.

In defense of the F30, I've been told certain models feature an extended display with digital gauges. Or something similar.

At a 50K premium.
You bought a brand new used car at the very end of its lifecycle.

True genius.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #61
cgpublic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 A3 2.0T Quattro

Tell Them What They've Won

Quote:
True genius.
Thanks!

Past: 2008 E90 328xi | Montego Blue | Dakota Black | Brushed Aluminum
Packages & Options: Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Heated Seats | iPod
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #62
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpublic View Post

At a 50K premium.
You bought a brand new used car at the very end of its lifecycle.

True genius.

BJ
Lol!

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #63
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Lol!
Funny thing happens to these people who take discussion forum mythology too far:

They buy the last year of an old bodystyle to feel the love of the community, and then six months later they go "Oh shit, why did I buy an old car? I've got to get out of this somehow."

And they dump the car, take a loss, and buy the new bodystyle. Can't tell you how many holier-than-thou E46 types did this, put down the new E90, hated on the thing mercilessly, wound up dumping their months-old cars to buy new ones just like the rest of us.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #64
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrna View Post
My ONLY gripe about the interior of the F30 is the damn skinny steering wheel. Something seemingly small such as this is really a big deal to me.
This is not an issue in the M Sport. My wheel is nice and fat.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 05:03 AM   #65
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Personal perceptions are very very interesting. I personally believe the f30 interior to be an improvement over the e90 in literally *every* *imaginable* *way*. And then I read a post like this. I'm definitely not saying OP is right or wrong, but it just reminds me of how different peoples tastes can be, and how difficult the task of designing products is.

My e90 interior is definitely sufficient, but not anything impressive. It never felt inadequate, but always projects an underwhelming sense of not giving a damn.

I can't wait to get into an f30, primarily for the re-designed interior and HUD. The exterior is certainly good looking, but nothing revolutionary as is the all-new interior. I dunno.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #66
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I appreciate the cleaness of the E9X, but also like the mondern glitz in the F30. Ever since I saw the very first interior picture though, the "modern" 1985Buick Somerset comes to mind whenever I see the idrive plopped on the dash. Funny because they featured everybody's favorite combo too - red/alum
Attached Images