F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > BMW F30/F31 Xenon retrofit
proTUNING Freaks

11-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #23
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloo6 View Post
Euro spec appears to be the same as the original post.

What I was planning to do was create an adapter to the existing loom and the other side into the headlight. Struggling to find the connections part numbers tho.
Interesting. I wonder why the difference... an adapter would be a lot of work. They do not sell, per my parts sales guy, individual harnesses . It would be for like the whole front clip or something and would likely be expensive.

Can any one with US spec adaptive Xenons post a pic of your harness or at least take a look at it for us? It would be really helpful.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #24
aloo6
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F31 330d

I reckon I should be able to construct one, as realoem has repair wires If I remember correctly.

The connector housing themselves are showing on the tyco website but are restricted to buy, prob by bmw. Will phone my guy at somepoint and see how he gets on.

Keep me updated on your progress and I will do the same as it appears we are both after the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #25
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I reckon I should be able to construct one, as realoem has repair wires If I remember correctly.

The connector housing themselves are showing on the tyco website but are restricted to buy, prob by bmw. Will phone my guy at somepoint and see how he gets on.

Keep me updated on your progress and I will do the same as it appears we are both after the same thing.
My parts guy has been trying to figure out the actual wiring pins for this harness for a while now. They emailed and called bmw for information and are still awaiting a response. If you find out please let me know and I will do the same.

There seems to only be one FEM module across US F30s so if the wiring is the same as the OP then it shouldn't be hard working around the missing wires on my halogen harness. What I am wondering now is if the FEM modules are different for your spec car..? can you look up your FEM module and post the part number so I can compare it to mine? If it is them same then it should be a simple install, if it is different I am going to have to find wiring diagrams for US cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #26
aloo6
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

i had a quick look on ista and had a look quicky and checkeed a few of the pins on the FEM that the OP quoted and they look to be the same on a Us-Spec.

i will post up screenshots.

i also looked at the standard halogens on your car and they should have the additional wiring, its strange. do you already have auto-levellers on the suspension as thats the only reason i can think that it doesnt have the manul beam throw(do you even have the manual beam throw control next to the interior dimmer switch?)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #27
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i had a quick look on ista and had a look quicky and checkeed a few of the pins on the FEM that the OP quoted and they look to be the same on a Us-Spec.

i will post up screenshots.

i also looked at the standard halogens on your car and they should have the additional wiring, its strange. do you already have auto-levellers on the suspension as thats the only reason i can think that it doesnt have the manul beam throw(do you even have the manual beam throw control next to the interior dimmer switch?)

what is ista? my car has the standard halogens, not sure there are any different here. There is no manual beam throw here, that is a EU thing I think. Also I thought the auto levelers were built into these headlight.. Do you have any info regarding a part number, location, and or wiring for leveling sensors?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 04:49 AM   #28
aloo6
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Ista is the software that the op's drawing came from.

The wires you are missing are the manual beam throw which make sense if you don't have that in the us.

The levellers are drivers side and attach to the suspension post and attach to the control arms. They measure the angle of the car to relay it to the headlight to avoid blinding other folk on the road

Edit/ go into real oem then select the front/rear suspension and that will show you drawings.

Last edited by aloo6; 11-13-2013 at 05:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #29
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ista is the software that the op's drawing came from.

The wires you are missing are the manual beam throw which make sense if you don't have that in the us.

The levellers are drivers side and attach to the suspension post and attach to the control arms. They measure the angle of the car to relay it to the headlight to avoid blinding other folk on the road

Edit/ go into real oem then select the front/rear suspension and that will show you drawings.
Hmmm if you have access to that it would certainly be helpful. If you can post the wiring for US spec halogen I am almost ready for my install. Just found and ordered the last module I need for the headlight and now just waiting on wiring confirmation to begin.

Also if anyone has part numbers for screws that hold the modules on (no one seems to know which ones) that would be helpful as well.

I will look into the leveling sensors, but didn't realize it was going to be another issue. I am fine without them as long as the lights are still adaptive.
(edit: I looked at real OEM and it looks like the front suspension sensor set up is relatively cheap <$100 for all parts) Now I just need to figure out wiring which hopefully you can help me with

Last edited by kapkanimd; 11-13-2013 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #30
aloo6
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Are the screws not in realoem?

Regarding the sensors they are a cheap fix to make the xenons legal (in uk anyway). The autolevelers wiring goes into another module which sits under the centre console where the hand brake is. Not 100% sure where it goes after that but I think it's already in place to talk to the fem module, then the wiring to the headlight itself.

Will post my findings online when I'm sure.

As for the us halogens I'm sure I already looked at them and that's why I got confused that you don't have the additional wiring.

I will hopefully have more answers tonight, if the wife leaves me alone.

I need a few pins for the new grounds before I can attempt my swap, but weather here isn't great right now.

How are you for coding as that's something I haven't got a clue about. I came from vw/audi and the coding was straight forward but bmw looks more difficult.

Cheers
Al
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #31
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are the screws not in realoem?

Regarding the sensors they are a cheap fix to make the xenons legal (in uk anyway). The autolevelers wiring goes into another module which sits under the centre console where the hand brake is. Not 100% sure where it goes after that but I think it's already in place to talk to the fem module, then the wiring to the headlight itself.

Will post my findings online when I'm sure.

As for the us halogens I'm sure I already looked at them and that's why I got confused that you don't have the additional wiring.

I will hopefully have more answers tonight, if the wife leaves me alone.

I need a few pins for the new grounds before I can attempt my swap, but weather here isn't great right now.

How are you for coding as that's something I haven't got a clue about. I came from vw/audi and the coding was straight forward but bmw looks more difficult.

Cheers
Al
Thanks again for the help. Yah there are no screws listed in realoem and my dealer can't figure out which ones they are either (also part of what they emailed BMW about).

If you can post the wiring for the autoleveling sensors that would be great. I guess we would need to build a harness to connect to the sensors as well.

I also need the pins for the new grounds as well. If you know which ones they are please let me know as the dealer cant figure that out either. I know I need one fat one and one skinny one.

The coding seems pretty straight forward. I have already coded a bunch of stuff on my car. I asked the experts on here and they informed me what to do. I guess I will have to code the autolevelers off until I get those wired up but I at least want the headlights working first.

Let me know what you find out about the wiring. Do you already have all the headlight parts?

Keith
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #32
aloo6
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

This photo shows the wiring from the sensors themselves to the module (ICM)

This next photo shows where the FEM plugs into the Headlight on a xenon. As you can see it shows the pin 7 ground from the orginal post, the orignal post never explained what that was for, so i assume this is a logical explanation.

Im assuming the 0.35 is the wire gauge and it ties in with realoem if you look at the electrical categories and find the pin that matches the gauge, my only problem is i dont want to order up up the wiring connectors without seeing the housing first, which i have no idea what the part numbers are.

i bought the complete headlights from ebay, paid £500 for them complete, guy didnt know what he was selling, i got a bargain. i haveent bought any of the autolever gear yet, or the headlamp washer stuff.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #33
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

wow. perfect. if you can pull up the US diagrams for pins 1,3, and 6 to verify they go to the same place as the EU model that would pretty much close out the wiring.

(EDIT: I found the ICM modules listed under the brake system - There are no options for AHLs so I think we are good to go for that part)

Other than that I guess we can only assume the ICM communicates the level data to the FEM module automatically or with coding.

I will try to take a picture of the leveling sensor harness tomorrow if I get a chance on someones 335. Thanks again.

Last edited by kapkanimd; 11-13-2013 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #34
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I am ordering the 12520143434 (fat) and 12520143427 (skinny) wiring plugs to see if they will work for the #4 and #7 terminals. They seems to be the only options. I will report back when I pick them up.

Also since you have the complete headlights do you mind pulling a screw on one of the modules and taking a picture for me? Can you also verify they are the same screws for everything (ballast, ahl module, led modules)? thanks again
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #35
aloo6
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapkanimd View Post
wow. perfect. if you can pull up the US diagrams for pins 1,3, and 6 to verify they go to the same place as the EU model that would pretty much close out the wiring.

(EDIT: I found the ICM modules listed under the brake system - There are no options for AHLs so I think we are good to go for that part)

Other than that I guess we can only assume the ICM communicates the level data to the FEM module automatically or with coding.

I will try to take a picture of the leveling sensor harness tomorrow if I get a chance on someones 335. Thanks again.
I looked at a us spec FEM and the pins appear the same, will post up pics tomorrow as it's bed time over here.

The FEM should receive the signal from the ICM through the existing wiring.

What module screws are you looking for and I will do that for you tomorrow/morning. Real oem has 3 different types of screws, but doesn't tell you what they secure.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #36
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I looked at a us spec FEM and the pins appear the same, will post up pics tomorrow as it's bed time over here.

The FEM should receive the signal from the ICM through the existing wiring.

What module screws are you looking for and I will do that for you tomorrow/morning. Real oem has 3 different types of screws, but doesn't tell you what they secure.
It doesn't seem to be any of the screws on realOEM as they do not point to any of the modules. I need screws for all of the modules as I bought the headlights bare and had to order the modules separately. There are two for each led module on the bottom, two that hold on the ballast, and two that hold in the AHL module (circuit board thing) for each headlight. I assume all the screws are the same for these but not sure. If you could just take a pic of any of the screws and verify they are all the same that would be great.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #37
aloo6
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapkanimd View Post
It doesn't seem to be any of the screws on realOEM as they do not point to any of the modules. I need screws for all of the modules as I bought the headlights bare and had to order the modules separately. There are two for each led module on the bottom, two that hold on the ballast, and two that hold in the AHL module (circuit board thing) for each headlight. I assume all the screws are the same for these but not sure. If you could just take a pic of any of the screws and verify they are all the same that would be great.
Pic shows the torx screw, all (9) same size for the above bits. A guess would say m6 thread by maybe 15mm, I don't have a rule to hand.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #38
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

awesome thanks.

(EDIT: I just scoured the car in search for a similar screw that I can look up and/or try in the headlight with no luck. When you get a chance (no rush) could you look what is written on screw head if anything?)

I ordered the leveling sensors already, apparently they are the same for a lot of cars and even motorcycles. I will order all the brackets this week.

Last edited by kapkanimd; 11-13-2013 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #39
aloo6
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

There is no actual engraving or nothing but I was looking at the auto leveller drawings on realoem as I ordered up the parts and there was a cap screw on it that measured m5x14 and though that sounds good so I measured the screw and it matches. Not 100% certain its the correct one but you will have to order it for the autolevellers anyway.

So I failed again trying to get the connector housings for the autolevellers, phoned my parts guy and he was more focused on telling me its a bad idea to do the xenon retrofit than actually helping me find a part number.

Hoping to butcher the old harness I made up for my mk5 gti xenons, as I reckon the pins should be the same.

Got told today I didn't have to work the weekend, so was hoping to fit the xenons and do the wiring changes, but then realised I have no coding cable, meant to order it at the beginning of the week, rather frustrated.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #40
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is no actual engraving or nothing but I was looking at the auto leveller drawings on realoem as I ordered up the parts and there was a cap screw on it that measured m5x14 and though that sounds good so I measured the screw and it matches. Not 100% certain its the correct one but you will have to order it for the autolevellers anyway.

So I failed again trying to get the connector housings for the autolevellers, phoned my parts guy and he was more focused on telling me its a bad idea to do the xenon retrofit than actually helping me find a part number.

Hoping to butcher the old harness I made up for my mk5 gti xenons, as I reckon the pins should be the same.

Got told today I didn't have to work the weekend, so was hoping to fit the xenons and do the wiring changes, but then realised I have no coding cable, meant to order it at the beginning of the week, rather frustrated.
Thanks for the effort. I will order up the rest of the leveling parts today if I ever get the parts guy on the phone.

Let me know what you find out about the harness. I guess it will be easier when we get the leveling modules in hand .

I am still waiting for my last module to get here. It is coming from Lithuania so it will probably take a week or so. It gives me time to get the wiring and harness stuff together.

I have had the actual headlights for probably three months now so I can understand the frustration, but no rush. Better to get everything thoroughly planned out ahead of time.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #41
smdoto
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90

hi friends f30 2013 316i halogen to bi-xenon upgrade problem

low beam high beam problem help me please

inigition 1 open low beam high beam no problem

engine runing no light dont open ( english bad sorry )
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #42
aloo6
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdoto View Post
hi friends f30 2013 316i halogen to bi-xenon upgrade problem

low beam high beam problem help me please

inigition 1 open low beam high beam no problem

engine runing no light dont open ( english bad sorry )
Hi mate,

Not really sure how to help as I have not actually completed my retrofit yet so I don't know any problems that's might come up.

What I would say Is double check the pin changes at the FEM. The lights sound okay as they are lighting up so that's a good sign.

Have you coded it up correctly?

Thanks

Al

Last edited by aloo6; 11-15-2013 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #43
smdoto
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90

why coding ?

icom ,esys ?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #44
smdoto
Registered