F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > BMW F30/F31 Xenon retrofit
Extreme Powerhouse

12-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #89
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

Thanks. I am still trying to work out details now. The headlights aren't currently aciting 'adaptively' i.e. they are not turning with the steering wheel...

Shawnsheridan thinks it might just be related to the leveling sensors not being connected yet. So I will wait until that is complete before try anything else.

Currently the only error the car is throwing is regarding the autoleveling so once finished I should be error free with working adaptive headlights!

I can't help you with any washer advice as I would have no use for them living in sunny FL.

Other than that, once I finish, I will write up a semi-DIY with full parts list.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #90
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So yea I'm retarded. I looked at a build sheet for a 335 and saw the option code for adaptive light control 524...

So yea when you code 522 you also code 524 for adaptive. Immediately my lights came to life. I'm like a kid who discovered his first boner.

One last step connecting the autoleveler wiring to icm module (I already ran the wires from the sensors to the interior) and the retrofit is complete!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 09:46 PM   #91
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hey guys, sorry it has been so long since the last update. Yesterday I finished connecting the leveling sensors to the ICM module. Unfortunately, they are not working and I am still receiving the error...

I am not yet sure if this is a coding issue, bad sensor, wiring issue, or something else... My next step is to check the coding and if I do not see anything I will then double check the wiring to see if there are any problems..

Otherwise I am not sure if there is a way to read the errors through the coding software to maybe determine what the problem is or if there is a way to test the sensors themselves to determine if they are working...

I will report back when I find something... Otherwise though the headlights are still working great with no problems since the install, I couldn't be happier. I just want the leveling fixed so there are no errors for when I need to take the car in for service and what not.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 10:15 PM   #92
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

lol keep up the good work!
happy new years man
      01-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #93
troyleescong
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbirds22 View Post
yes i did the wiring myself.

For ground i spliced wire going to pin 2 on the headlight connector and added two new grounds to it and made them sit in pin 4 and pin 7 on the headlight connector.

yes aloo6 is right in regards to mentioning that there are different sizes of connectors on the fem module and they cannot be moved as it is.

Let me tell you what I did:

1.On the Headlight Connector

On the Headlight connector we need to work with only 1-8 pins and pin 9-12 has no use on the xenon headlight hence they can be used as backup wires in case one fails in the future or if you want to downgrade to halogens in the future they will need to be used again.

Pin 1,2(need to be spliced to add 2 new grounds),3,5,8 sit in the original place as they were in Halogen connector.

As i said above Pin 2 needs to be spliced to add 2 new grounds to sit in pin 4 and pin 7.Make sure you use thick enough wire for ground(to be precise 0.75 guage thick atleast) otherwise it will create flickering issues.Make sure you add new grounds by splicing Pin 2 wire and not create new grounds by connecting them to the chassis.Connecting ground to the chassis can cause flickering issues too.

So now we have Pin 1,2,3,4,5,7,8 sitting nicely in the connector.So whats wrong with pin 6,why it cannot sit in the original place on the headlight connector and just move wires on the fem module.It has a reason as aloo6 mentioned its connector size on the fem Module is different with the one on the original place and the new place where it needs to be moved.

So what i did here was i removed this pin 6 wire both from the headlight connector and fem module and as i said pin 9-12 have no use on xenon headlight and can be used if any wire fails i used pin 9 wire to sit in pin 6 on the headlight connector and moved it to the new designated location on the fem module.

Thats all what needs to be done on the Headlight Connector Side.

2. On FEM Module

Wires coming from Pin 1,3,5 of Headlight Light connector are good to go as it is.
Pin 2,4,7 of Headlight Connector are grounds which are connected to ground already and we need not worry about them.
So Pin 1,2,3,4,5,7 are done already without moving a single wire on fem.

Left is Pin 6 (where i have made pin 9 wire sit) and Pin 8 of Headlight connector for both left and right headlights.

a) Left Headlight

1.Pin 6 wire of Headlight connector will move from pin 50 (in case you are using Pin 9 wire to act as pin 6 wire on the headlight connector as i did otherwise pin location will be different and you can ask me) on connector A173*4B to pin 53 in connector A173*3B.
2.Pin 8 wire of Headlight connector will move from Pin 49 on connector A173*4B to pin 53 in connector A173*4B.

b)Right Headlight

1.Pin 6 wire of Headlight connector will move from pin 38 (in case you are using Pin 9 wire to act as pin 6 wire on the headlight connector as i did otherwise pin location will be different and you can ask me) on connector A173*4B to pin 41 in connector A173*3B.
2.Pin 8 wire of Headlight connector will move from Pin 37 on connector A173*4B to pin 54 in connector A173*4B.

Thats all we need to do on the FEM module.

Coding wise I changed VO and disabled Automatic Levellers(I didnt install the levellers so i needed to disable them to stop the system throwing errors so you need to do the same in case you dont go with levellers as well)

I hope I explained everything you guys needed.In case you dont get anything get back to me.

Hi luvbirds22, how to disable the "Automatic Levellers"? what the keyword is?
I need to clear the error, thanks in advanced!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #94
F30 Epal
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Would a shop know what to do if I were to show them this thread and ask them if they could retrofit my car? Lol
      01-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #95
troyleescong
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30 Epal View Post
Would a shop know what to do if I were to show them this thread and ask them if they could retrofit my car? Lol
If they can do the coding job, wiring is easy.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #96
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sorry for lack of updates.. I have been a little busy and am trying to figure out the best way to diagnose why the autolevelers aren't working. I am figuring out if I can read the actual error through ebdias so I can hopefully narrow down the problem (bad sensor, bad wiring, etc) Otherwise they only thing I can do is just double check the wiring and start replacing sensors.

aloo6: any progress on yours? if when you do the autolevelers and it works, then I would know it is likely just a problem with one of my sensors.

I will try and get a semi-DIY as soon as I can
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 10:46 PM   #97
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Awesome stuff guys, thank you for tackling this project! Can't wait for the DIY to be completed!

In the meantime, can you suggest a parts list or where you guys got your parts, after reading this I'm eager to get started, at least in getting the parts!!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #98
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
Awesome stuff guys, thank you for tackling this project! Can't wait for the DIY to be completed!

In the meantime, can you suggest a parts list or where you guys got your parts, after reading this I'm eager to get started, at least in getting the parts!!
I will try and get this done tomorrow. I can tell you though, most of parts were collected through ebay.. simply to save money and buy used. Buying all new would easily be $2-3k, I think I am around $1500 but I purchased a lot of unnecessary wiring in order to narrow down the exact parts. This should be able to be completed for <$1500, a lot less if you are lucky with parts... A lot of mine came from Europe ebay..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 09:58 AM   #99
roxxor
Major
Rep

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I already have had some luck on euro eBay, found some parts i needed for another retrofit for 1/4 the cost of getting them new. I did however find a site that is selling the entire xenon assembly new for less than $700 each, most of the used ones on ebay were around that price and didnt include the bulbs, modules, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 10:06 AM   #100
F30EDR
Private
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire F30

Do you have a link? I have my lamps, bulbs and ballast but I'm still trying to source out the LED modules and headlight controllers. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 12:20 PM   #101
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30EDR View Post
Do you have a link? I have my lamps, bulbs and ballast but I'm still trying to source out the LED modules and headlight controllers. Thanks
LED modules I had to buy new, there were just no source for used ones and I searched for a few months... When I got my quote from the dealer they were only like $24 each (X4)! However, when I finally made my order they had more than doubled in price Apparently part prices fluctuate a lot for some reason.. The dealer felt bad but couldn't do anything but give me the best discount he could...

I found one headlight controller right away, but the other took a month or two and I found in Lithuania.. Just make sure you pay attention to part numbers as you do not want to get the wrong one. I will try and post what I can later.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #102
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I already have had some luck on euro eBay, found some parts i needed for another retrofit for 1/4 the cost of getting them new. I did however find a site that is selling the entire xenon assembly new for less than $700 each, most of the used ones on ebay were around that price and didnt include the bulbs, modules, etc.
Less than $700 is good and will save you a lot of time and frustration if they are truly the right parts.. I paid like $875 for the pair of headlights without the modules, but some of them got expensive
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 10:39 PM   #103
F30EDR
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the PM. Price is very good and I'll be sure to get parts from them.

I think the housing assembly do not include modules, just lamp without modules and controllers. But I could be wrong
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 06:44 AM   #104
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:

I think the housing assembly do not include modules, just lamp without modules and controllers. But I could be wrong
Hi, can you let me know who this is?
      01-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #105
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok guys, I have started the DIY, it will be a work in progress as I am doing it as I can in my spare time. This should get you started with the parts for now as that is the most important. Once completed we can start a new thread to discuss. I am using a google doc so it is updated in real time. Here is the link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Everything except the wiring and the LED modules were purchased via ebay. If you can find a complete headlight at a reasonable price then go for it. Everyone I have seen on ebay is without the modules so pay attention to what you are buying. Do not pay more than $1k for bare headlights..

NOTE: This is just for the headlights without the autolevelers, I will do a separate addition at the end or on another document for those. Mine still are not working so I did not want to include. They are also not necessary at all if you do not wish to have them.

NOTE 2: This is also specifically for US model cars. The wiring in EU spec cars is slightly different, and might require different part numbers. I am also assuming at least you would need different driver control modules for those that drive on the wrong side of the road As I mentioned in the disclaimer, it would be smart to double check real oem using your VIN to verify parts you need.

Last edited by kapkanimd; 01-16-2014 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #106
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:

I think you may be right. The reason I thought it included it all was that in the diagram for the parts it showed all of the parts surrounded by a box for the number listed. I'll have to email and ask.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 09:00 PM   #107
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapkanimd View Post
Ok guys, I have started the DIY, it will be a work in progress as I am doing it as I can in my spare time. This should get you started with the parts for now as that is the most important. Once completed we can start a new thread to discuss. I am using a google doc so it is updated in real time. Here is the link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Everything except the wiring and the LED modules were purchased via ebay. If you can find a complete headlight at a reasonable price then go for it. Everyone I have seen on ebay is without the modules so pay attention to what you are buying. Do not pay more than $1k for bare headlights..

NOTE: This is just for the headlights without the autolevelers, I will do a separate addition at the end or on another document for those. Mine still are not working so I did not want to include. They are also not necessary at all if you do not wish to have them.

NOTE 2: This is also specifically for US model cars. The wiring in EU spec cars is slightly different, and might require different part numbers. I am also assuming at least you would need different driver control modules for those that drive on the wrong side of the road As I mentioned in the disclaimer, it would be smart to double check real oem using your VIN to verify parts you need.
Thanks for the write up so far, however I'm really thrown off about the parts numbers. The numbers the write up shows for the headlights don't correspond to any part for BMW on either getbmwparts, Realoem, or pretty much any of the sites to buy parts from. In looking through the ones listed on eBay, there are some listings that say they are the correct part # as shown on Realoem, but the decal on the headlight in their pictures lists it as a different part number very similar to what is listed in the writeup.(ex: listing says it is part number 63117338708, which is what Realoem shows as the correct part number for a xenon headlight with adaptive lights, but in that same listing the decal shows part #63117259554.)

Is there perhaps somewhere else on the headlight housing itself which shows a different part #? Just trying to eliminate any confusion.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 10:05 PM   #108
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the write up so far, however I'm really thrown off about the parts numbers. The numbers the write up shows for the headlights don't correspond to any part for BMW on either getbmwparts, Realoem, or pretty much any of the sites to buy parts from. In looking through the ones listed on eBay, there are some listings that say they are the correct part # as shown on Realoem, but the decal on the headlight in their pictures lists it as a different part number very similar to what is listed in the writeup.(ex: listing says it is part number 63117338708, which is what Realoem shows as the correct part number for a xenon headlight with adaptive lights, but in that same listing the decal shows part #63117259554.)

Is there perhaps somewhere else on the headlight housing itself which shows a different part #? Just trying to eliminate any confusion.
I was very confused myself. The only thing I can think of is this was a discontinued part number for some reason. They ebay auction I bought it from did not list a part number so I bought it blind.. However, the only thing that matters is it works, and I can 100% confirm that. I cannot confirm anyother number. I could not find any other part number on the light.. pic:

The number on real OEM that I would assume correct if looking would be 63117338707 and 63117338708

Last edited by kapkanimd; 01-16-2014 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 11:36 PM   #109
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Done editing the document for the night, I added the headlight wiring part and more images. As I complete this, if there are any more pictures or explanations you want to see on there just let me know. I am doing this mostly from memory and this was almost a month ago. I will also add in the original wiring diagrams at the very end for reference, but really not needed if you follow the DIY.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 11:45 PM   #110
F30EDR
Private
Rep

The lamps I bought is 63117259553 and 63117259554 for left and right resp. I have yet to fit it, but it looks good to me.
Appreciate 1
cholis3.00