F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > DIY F30 Halogen Low Beam Replacement
ARMA SPEED

04-24-2015, 09:31 PM   #23
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

thanks for the sit fuide guys, took me an hour and a half to figure it out before i saw this thread
      10-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #24
ACR3597
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i MSport

So you bent them one by one? And did they stay put when bent?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 04:13 AM   #25
rustyminded
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Can you please tell me what did you code for low beam H7 ?
      10-07-2015, 06:19 AM   #26
ATL0501
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 540 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyminded
Can you please tell me what did you code for low beam H7 ?
There's no coding needed if you replace low beams with halogen bulb. If you use led or hid (not recommended), you will need to code.

I used Philips crystal vision but they were too yellow when replaced the parking lights to LED. Then went to diamond vision and they are perfect with led parking lights. The parking lights have built in resistor and do not need coding as there are no errors nor flickering
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 09:58 PM   #27
rfcoolz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL0501 View Post
There's no coding needed if you replace low beams with halogen bulb. If you use led or hid (not recommended), you will need to code.

I used Philips crystal vision but they were too yellow when replaced the parking lights to LED. Then went to diamond vision and they are perfect with led parking lights. The parking lights have built in resistor and do not need coding as there are no errors nor flickering
Actually mine has HID and no single error has came up without coding
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 05:02 AM   #28
ATL0501
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 540 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfcoolz
Actually mine has HID and no single error has came up without coding
Some have error free with the resistors but they get very hot. Make sure get high quality ones. Friend of mine burned through his with ones from eBay or Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 08:37 AM   #29
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

In 2 years I've burned through 2 bulbs. Maybe should have stuck with bmw original and had bmw replace them for free under warranty.

Original: Too dim
BMW Performance (oem philips): one burned out in a year
PIAA 4000k white: Top quality Japanese made....one burned out in a year

Fine, fine ... H7 bulbs do suck. Putting in Osram Nightbreakers. Advantage? Price and their output and colour are the same as the BMW and PIAA. I've learned my lesson
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 10:30 PM   #30
rfcoolz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL0501 View Post
Some have error free with the resistors but they get very hot. Make sure get high quality ones. Friend of mine burned through his with ones from eBay or Amazon.
Well, I just hope nothing is burnt on mine. I got one from amazon and its been good until now. No melting or anything like that. Fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 01:35 PM   #31
lverasky
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

can someone make a video?? i have a really hard time remove the H7 bulb out ..... so sad
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 04:11 PM   #32
dangson
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lverasky View Post
can someone make a video?? i have a really hard time remove the H7 bulb out ..... so sad
Which step are you having trouble with? I just replaced mine a few months ago so might be able to give some pointers.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #33
lverasky
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangson View Post
Which step are you having trouble with? I just replaced mine a few months ago so might be able to give some pointers.
So i got to the step that is trying remove the bulb out...but I havn't hard time to bent the outward thing....so hard to take it out. scratch my hand few times now...and still no success. >_<
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #34
rustyminded
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

guys just bend it upwards and it will come right out. i never had problems it's under 1 min.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 11:00 PM   #35
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Here's a quickie video from my phone removing the bulb from the bracket

Here are some still shots of the bulb bracket from different angles that might make it easier to see what needs to be done.

Pic #1 - In the first pic, you can see the retaining clip on the top of the bracket holding in the low-beam bulb by its top tab

Pic #2 - Just a slightly different angle to give you a relative feel for how much you will need to bend that retaining clip in order to release the low-beam bulb from the retaining clip

Pic #3 - So you can either push up the smaller retaining clip shown by the smaller yellow arrow, or... like most people will do, they will just push the entire top portion of the bracket upwards (shown by the two larger yellow arrows to the side) to release the bulb

Hope that helps
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 06:32 PM   #36
lverasky
Rep

squidlyboy

thank you thank you..i almost cry..i am going home tonight and try again....wish me luck...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 08:27 PM   #37
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

lol - funny guy

Going back to ARBMWGuy's original post pic, if you use a AWL or some type of pick tool or skinny screwdriver, push up the middle of that skinny middle tab (black arrow below) and the bulb should pop right out.

Keep in mind if you deform it too much, that same tab that keeps the bulb in place will no longer keep the bulb in place. So push up only enough to pull the bulb out, but no more....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 08:10 AM   #38
dangson
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
So i got to the step that is trying remove the bulb out...but I havn't hard time to bent the outward thing....so hard to take it out. scratch my hand few times now...and still no success. >_<
In addition to the great detailed posts others have posted, here's my previous post on this process:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=67

Another thing that might help is to use the camera on your phone to see what's going on as you're working on the bulb.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 10:06 PM   #39
cpm3rd
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 328i

I realize this is an older thread, however it is very informative. As a new owner I would like to replace the dull OEM Halogens with a better bulb. However when looking at the Philips bulbs used in this thread (Philips H7 CrystalVision Ultra Headlight Bulb) on Amazon, it says they fit "High Beam". I am confused, can this bulb also be used as a low beam? Is it both Hi and Low Beam? Forgive my newb question...just need some clarification.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Crysta...Headlight+Bulb
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 12:48 AM   #40
Diddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpm3rd View Post
I realize this is an older thread, however it is very informative. As a new owner I would like to replace the dull OEM Halogens with a better bulb. However when looking at the Philips bulbs used in this thread (Philips H7 CrystalVision Ultra Headlight Bulb) on Amazon, it says they fit "High Beam". I am confused, can this bulb also be used as a low beam? Is it both Hi and Low Beam? Forgive my newb question...just need some clarification.

Yes - The size for both low beams and high beams are 55W H7 bulbs. You can look at the owner's manual (easily found on bmw site or on this forum) and it tells you the wattage, size, and how to replace the bulbs.

Just note the low beams are a bit harder to replace as there's a slot near the front wheels, and you will almost certainly need to jack the car and remove the front wheels.

The high beams and DRL (daytime running lights) are really easy to replace. Just pop open the hood and replace the correct bulb.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #41
quadwiz
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 320i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARBMWGuy View Post
This was not described properly in the BMW computer manual so I'm going to give you guys a heads up on what was a more frustrating bulb swap than I expected.

1. Turn wheel to one side to expose panel on inner fender.
2. Remove panel by pulling tabs down to expose circular headlamp bulb panel
3. Turn counter-clockwise to remove circular panel
4. Move bulb housing up and down to loosen and remove

So far these steps are as described in the manual, however bulb removal is quite annoying. After cutting my hand up pretty good and searching for at least 15 minutes online, I finally found a solution. There are three metal brackets that lock in the actual low beam bulb.

5. These brackets must be bent slightly outward in order to remove the bulb
6. After bending the backets slightly, the bulb loosens and easily slides out
7. Before installing the new bulb, bend the brackets back to original position and the new bulb will fit tightly and lock in when installed
8. Repeat previous steps in reverse order to put everything back together

I hope this helps for those wanting to do a DIY bulb only upgrade. Once I figured out the solution with the brackets, the second bulb took me less than 5 minutes to change.
Thanks - I installed some philip xtremes yesterday and this was really helpful.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 09:13 AM   #42
quadwiz
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 320i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddler View Post
Just note the low beams are a bit harder to replace as there's a slot near the front wheels, and you will almost certainly need to jack the car and remove the front wheels.
Not absolutely necessary - turn the steering completely to the left and you should be able to replace the right low beams light. It's a bit fiddly but doable without removing the wheel. Replace the right low beam, test it (be careful since the bulb gets hot) and put everything thing back together. Then turn the steering completely to the right and repeat for the left low beam.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #43
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
I would like to replace the dull OEM Halogens with a better bulb. However when looking at the Philips bulbs used in this thread (Philips H7 CrystalVision Ultra Headlight Bulb) on Amazon, it says they fit "High Beam". I am confused, can this bulb also be used as a low beam? Is it both Hi and Low Beam?]
The same bulb is used for high and low. BTW, while the color temp of 'upgrade' bulbs may be higher than OEM, the lumens output, which is what counts, isn't. They're all about 1400 lumens. If you want a bulb that's actually brighter this is the only one, at 2100 lumens:
http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html

It's a 65w bulb, but that won't be a problem for your wiring, which is sized for 100w.
You can also upgrade your 35w H8 fogs with 55w H11 bulbs. The H11 base requires a bit of trimming with a Dremel tool to fit the H8 socket.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 12:53 AM   #44
paco29toy
Private
Rep

Quote:

Have you installed them yet? Any before/after pics?
Appreciate 0