F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > PUMA case opened on my 335
proTUNING Freaks

01-08-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

PUMA case opened on my 335

So I've been having some weird issues with my transmission for a few weeks. When in Sport or Sport + mode coasting on highway in a higher gear (6th 7th), stepping on the gas to overtake results in a "clunk" while downshifting. There's hesitation, a clunk, then the transmission recovers.

I've taken the car to the dealer twice now for this and the third time (now) I get the following message from the SA:

"We have performed an oil balancing test to check the fluid in the trans and filed an PUMA case for this issue. PUMA takes a few days to get a result to expect the keep the loaner for a few days.

Just so you know, PUMA are the BMW engineers essentially taking over the repairs. Hang tight, they are looking into it."

Not sure what hat to think here. I've never had a PUMA case opened on my behalf and don't know what to expect. Anyone here have a similar experience with PUMA?
      01-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #2
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

I want to bust on that name sooooo badly but it's you so I will hold back sir

Never heard of them myself....sub'd. Best of luck with this and hopefully it results in a new transmission!

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 03:19 PM   #3
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post

Never heard of them myself....sub'd. Best of luck with this and hopefully it results in a new transmission!
I've had this damn screen name for over 20 years! Gotta be real and keep the legend going!

I've had nothing but bad luck with this car so far. 4 months and I've had the following:

Catalytic converter swapped, injector swapped, horn swapped, door actuator swapped, blower motor swapped and now the trans.
      01-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #4
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

So I complained a bit to the SA (who's great by the way). Just a little frustrated with all the issues and suggested that they should just authorize a swap and got this back:

"I would just like to review PUMA's thoughts before I push for a new trans for you. Let me get back to you tomorrow on that."

The dealer has been great so far, absolutely zero complaints. I just feel that BMW should be a bit more stringent when CPO'ing cars. I feel like at least the transmission issue could have been spotted before selling the car.
      01-08-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Sorry to hear you're having so many issues with a CPO - that really sucks. Too bad there's no lemon laws / buyback for CPO. My own 2014 335i has been pretty solid since I bought it new, so you just drew a short straw unfortunately.

PUMA is the standard "kick it upstairs" procedure, when the dealer calls in BMW corporate for technical help. I don't believe BMW repairs transmissions as such; if the engineer determines the cause is internal to the tranny, he has the authority to order a swap for a new/rebuilt tranny.

OTOH, I've seen posts where the PUMA engineer decided there was no issue and that was the end of the matter as far as BMW is concerned (i.e. you're screwed, no further appeal). That shouldn't be the case here since you have an easily reproducible issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #6
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
So I've been having some weird issues with my transmission for a few weeks. When in Sport or Sport + mode coasting on highway in a higher gear (6th 7th), stepping on the gas to overtake results in a "clunk" while downshifting. There's hesitation, a clunk, then the transmission recovers.

I've taken the car to the dealer twice now for this and the third time (now) I get the following message from the SA:

"We have performed an oil balancing test to check the fluid in the trans and filed an PUMA case for this issue. PUMA takes a few days to get a result to expect the keep the loaner for a few days.

Just so you know, PUMA are the BMW engineers essentially taking over the repairs. Hang tight, they are looking into it."

Not sure what hat to think here. I've never had a PUMA case opened on my behalf and don't know what to expect. Anyone here have a similar experience with PUMA?
I've just had a PUMA case opened on my ZF 8HP45 on my 2014 335i RWD M Sport. It has approximately 86,000 miles on it and the transmission has developed a whine on moderate acceleration in lower gears (2-5) as well as in reverse when the transmission is loaded up. The sound more audible once the transmission and engine have warmed up. The transmission also has very rough 3 to 2 and 2 to 1 downshifts that were noticeable by the foreman without even being warmed up.

My GF's X3 35i has a rough 3 to 2 and 2 to 1 downshift and her car has approximately 40,000 miles on the ZF 8HP45.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 03:52 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Sorry about that and good luck

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 03:57 PM   #8
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Sorry to hear you're having so many issues with a CPO - that really sucks. Too bad there's no lemon laws / buyback for CPO. My own 2014 335i has been pretty solid since I bought it new, so you just drew a short straw unfortunately.

PUMA is the standard "kick it upstairs" procedure, when the dealer calls in BMW corporate for technical help. I don't believe BMW repairs transmissions as such; if the engineer determines the cause is internal to the tranny, he has the authority to order a swap for a new/rebuilt tranny.

OTOH, I've seen posts where the PUMA engineer decided there was no issue and that was the end of the matter as far as BMW is concerned (i.e. you're screwed, no further appeal). That shouldn't be the case here since you have an easily reproducible issue.
Really? No Lemon Law for a CPO?
      01-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #9
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Quote:
Quote:

I've had this damn screen name for over 20 years! Gotta be real and keep the legend going!

I've had nothing but bad luck with this car so far. 4 months and I've had the following:

Catalytic converter swapped, injector swapped, horn swapped, door actuator swapped, blower motor swapped and now the trans.
I should've clarified as your member name is not the issue. PUMA? LMAO, my wife has a pair

And I don't blame you one bit for being frustrated as this is one major reason why I switched to BMW!

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 06:58 PM   #10
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Really? No Lemon Law for a CPO?
At least New York has a Lemon Law for used cars. Most States do not.

Unfortunately for you, it’s 2 years from original delivery date (well passed for a 2014) or under 18,000 miles (I suspect your Odometer is over this as well), whichever happens first
Appreciate 1
ceedawg467.50
      01-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #11
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
At least New York has a Lemon Law for used cars. Most States do not.

Unfortunately for you, it’s 2 years from original delivery date (well passed for a 2014) or under 18,000 miles (I suspect your Odometer is over this as well), whichever happens first
Sounds like I'll be at the mercy of the dealer to do the right thing here
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 04:25 PM   #12
MuffinMan910
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 f30 335i xDrive mSport

I had a puma case on my e90. check engine light throwing the same code 3 times over 3 months, 3 different repairs that didn't work, puma case opened, bmw instructed dealer that cylinder head probably had a crack, dealer took apart engine to find.... crack in the cylinder head. cylinder head replaced, check engine light never came back

good luck OP, puma case worked for me
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 05:19 PM   #13
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan910 View Post
I had a puma case on my e90. check engine light throwing the same code 3 times over 3 months, 3 different repairs that didn't work, puma case opened, bmw instructed dealer that cylinder head probably had a crack, dealer took apart engine to find.... crack in the cylinder head. cylinder head replaced, check engine light never came back

good luck OP, puma case worked for me
I'm glad it worked out for you. I'm hoping the outcome is the same for me.
      01-10-2018, 05:20 PM   #14
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Dealer got back to me today. They swapped out my paddle shifters and control unit and reset adaptations on the transmission software. They asked me to drive the car for 150 miles at least and report back to them.

Anyone ever get their adaptations reset?
      01-11-2018, 08:33 AM   #15
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Dealer got back to me today. They swapped out my paddle shifters and control unit and reset adaptations on the transmission software. They asked me to drive the car for 150 miles at least and report back to them.

Anyone ever get their adaptations reset?
I did on my E92 335. I felt like it was not shifting properly, and it worked. This was on the old 6 speed ZF.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 05:22 PM   #16
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Had my transmission swapped in the 1st year of ownership due to laggy shifting...noticeable delay between lower gears. The whole saga, including having to threaten BMWNA with lemon law, is documented in another thread.

They also reset the transmission adaptations. I actually learned how to do it myself with a program called BMWAI (also in another thread). But, alas, this did not help in my case. Took them awhile...6 visits later I had a new transmission.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. My '14 has been pretty solid since.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 09:04 PM   #17
jv004
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

I had my transmission fully replaced under warranty, leak towards the tailshaft. They were in contact with BMW and they recommended to swap out the transmission for a new one due to the leak being in the tailshaft. I don't know if it was a Puma case or not but they followed BMW's recommendation for a full replacement and they had the car for about a week and a half testing and inspecting things. When they found out it took a liter to fill fluid back up they kept the car a while to check things out. I was getting hard downshifts coming to a stop on cold starts sometimes with a light clunk, and delay on changing gears occasionally before I took it in.

Last edited by jv004; 01-14-2018 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 09:27 PM   #18
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Getting a new transmission is a process so just try to be patient and remember that it is BMWNA who pays the dealer for warranty work.

Dealers don't do a whole lot on CPO cars. It's basically an OE extended warranty for low mileage lease turn-in's. Unless they've changed, when BMW does a transmission replacement it's going to be a remanufactured unit but rest assured that the internals are brand new. It's the housing that is not new.

On a side note I would ask the SA to see if they'll tell you whether or not the car was flagged for having a tune by the initial owner.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 06:04 AM   #19
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Getting a new transmission is a process so just try to be patient and remember that it is BMWNA who pays the dealer for warranty work.

Dealers don't do a whole lot on CPO cars. It's basically an OE extended warranty for low mileage lease turn-in's. Unless they've changed, when BMW does a transmission replacement it's going to be a remanufactured unit but rest assured that the internals are brand new. It's the housing that is not new.

On a side note I would ask the SA to see if they'll tell you whether or not the car was flagged for having a tune by the initial owner.
I'm going to be speaking with my SA today and I'll ask, thanks for the tip.
      01-25-2018, 01:40 PM   #20
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Dealer had my car for a few days and reset transmission adaptations to see if this would resolve the issues I have been experiencing. Asked me to drive the car for about 150 miles, which I have, but the issues still persist. Resetting adaptations actually seems to have made it worse. I emailed them today and am waiting on a reply:

Hey XXXXXX –

How are you man?

I hate to keep bothering you with these issues but I really have to get this resolved. I’ve driven the car a few hundred miles like you guys asked but there’s definitely something wrong. The car continues to lurch while switching gears and never really seems to know where it wants to be. Accelerating in Sport mode it continues to bang into gear. Resetting adaptations on the transmission seems to have actually made it worse. It’s come to the point where I wont drive my kids around in in because I don’t feel comfortable. I’m honestly at a loss and don’t know what to do. XXXX the foreman felt it as well, maybe he can chime in? He seemed very knowledgeable on the platform.

Please let me know what next steps are. Maybe get BMWNA involved to fast rack some sort of resolution? Based on the amount of things that have already gone wrong with this car maybe they’ll be inclined to step up to the plate. I look forward to hearing back.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 01:52 PM   #21
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm going to be speaking with my SA today and I'll ask, thanks for the tip.
SA said the car was never flagged for a tune. If it was it would have never been able to be CPO'ed, which I guess makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 04:22 PM   #22
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00