F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Steering wheel volume control: what were they thinking?
proTUNING Freaks

12-11-2013, 12:31 AM   #89
DJHakim
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i xDrive

thumb wheel = no skip, random

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
+1....

My personal dumb complaint is why I can't hit "next track" from the steering wheel. You either have to be on it on iDrive (which really is not that bad) or you have to reach to the other side of the world to hit next...
+1,000,000,000,000,....,000,000

Thumb wheel implementation mucked up a good thing (including quick redial). They can easily solve this with a software update:

have the first 2 items in the thumb wheel song list be Previous and Next. It does not beat pressing one button to skip, but it'll do till they get rid of the wheel.
E90 (2009 328xi): ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, Alarm, Shades, SG Metal [Ret]
E90 (2006 325xi): ZSP, ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, CA, Xenons, Shades, CrO3 Exhaust, TiAg Metal [Ret]
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 05:48 AM   #90
sophiamaria
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i F30

Quote:
Hahaha definitely agreeing with this! Funny. Down the other end of the earth in Australia, 'some' people drive on the left hand side of the road. I find it fantastic it's on the right hand side, perfect for me as I'm right handed and my steering wheel is on the right. I wouldn't want it to be any other way. For someone like me who spends half my day driving around for work, it's a great feature. Can't please everyone I guess?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #91
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiamaria View Post
Hahaha definitely agreeing with this! Funny. Down the other end of the earth in Australia, 'some' people drive on the left hand side of the road. I find it fantastic it's on the right hand side, perfect for me as I'm right handed and my steering wheel is on the right. I wouldn't want it to be any other way. For someone like me who spends half my day driving around for work, it's a great feature. Can't please everyone I guess?
My point has always been that when I'm driving along a highway for hours, what do I want my left hand to have access to...volume or cruise control? Cruise control! I am regularly changing that to pass, brake, etc... but the volume is more set and forget. I guess down under you have it backwards but hey if you like it what's the difference?

Also, anytime BMW and Australia are put together I can't help but think of this (goto 0:50)....
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #92
sophiamaria
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i F30

Quote:
My point has always been that when I'm driving along a highway for hours, what do I want my left hand to have access to...volume or cruise control? Cruise control! I am regularly changing that to pass, brake, etc... but the volume is more set and forget. I guess down under you have it backwards but hey if you like it what's the difference?

Also, anytime BMW and Australia are put together I can't help but think of this (goto 0:50)....
haha that's great - I hadn't seen that before. Thanks for the laugh
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 09:44 PM   #93
beemerlover13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: not sure..

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrathon View Post
Can someone illuminate me why would BMW put the volume control on the right side of the steering wheel? Who was the genius that concluded I will be using the navigation more than the volume?? I would like to meet him/her.
I just picked up my f30 320i tonight and I feel your pain, I was coming from an Acura and the volume controls were on the left side. I've gotten used to it after 3 years. Now my car is manual and I like to keep my hand on the shift knob while driving, but now when I need to adjust the volume I need to move my whole arm. Kinda stupid, and I think I've used cruise control 5 times in my life.. it would be ok if they did away with it imo.
Appreciate 0