F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Another interior wrap (DINOC CA-421)
proTUNING Freaks

09-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #23
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji99lypuff View Post
Just started this mod today and only got to do the 4 handles before the sun went down. As OP has stated once the dinoc vinyl is heated it becomes very fluid and easy to work with. On my first handle i made the mistake of not using the hot hair cryer enough thinking it would damage the vinyl but it was not easy to work with and it didnt turn out as well as the last three door handles. The trick is to heat and stretch and fit flushly on the handle and repeat these steps while going down the length of the handle. I did have some trouble with the tips of the handle trim pieces where it was harder to tuck the vinyl is cleanly but i made due with the heating and stretching process and you cant even see it once the trim is connected back to the door handle itself. I hope the dash isnt too hard to take off, im not looking to break anything on my car! Hopefully ill get the rest of it done in the next couple days. Ill update with pics once im done, it looks amazing so far, much better than my wood.
Sounds like you're making some nice progress! Heat is key. I have an actual heat gun and it get's hot quick and turns the DINOC into a very pliable material.

On the corners, you might want to make a small cut just beyond where you are folding over (so cut isn't visible when you snap the trim back on). It's kind of hard to explain but imagine a 90 degree angle, make a cut at the 45* so you then have 2 flaps. That way the flaps can be pulled over one on top the other and you don't have that crease right at the curved point.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #24
bmwauug
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC

Textured CF on M Steering Wheel

Anyone know if it is possible to get part number 2 only?

I have the texture CF shifter and would like to add the trim piece in the steering wheel...

08-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #25
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

I'll take chance and hop in here to show ya my very first try. To be honest: It took more than patience to bring on the wrap carefully and more to cut it right on the edges. There were my fails, I cut the blue line twice by rounding the corner and couldnt hit the bottomline on the long part neither, therefore it looks a little silver-black if you look too close. Maybe I can fix this with a small liner. But overall for my first try Im pleased with the result and my funnier looking half either, she'd gave me the needed additional hands to perform the job
Used tools/wrap: 1 sharp scalpel, hairdryer, scissor, steel ruler, Dinoc CA-421 and a pair of hands.
Any comments and critics highly welcome.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 07:11 AM   #26
n55x3
Captain
Rep

Loos awesome! Nice work.

I can't believe I've had mine on a year now and it still looks perfect. This is some durable material. Even the back of my key fob which I wrapped looks pretty much perfect.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #27
lesnica
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Ordered my DINOC Vinyl, im hoping to do just as good job as you guys
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 10:54 PM   #28
Marc417
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 328i MY14

My order is coming in Wednesday. I had problems vinyl wrapping the center console - where the radio buttons etc...

Is there a way to remove the line on the bottom?

- Marc C.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 04:58 AM   #29
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

No, thus the accentline on the center panel is mounted with melted pins from behind. You have to cut the top of the meltpins to remove it and then restore the fixture any way I dont know, because there's no material left to melt.
As a recommendation: First cut a piece of foil of the whole part and fix it via the adhesive from the wrap on the bottomline, where the accentline ends. Then use a hairdryer to move it further up and stop at the upper end. You can easily recognize when the wrap is best workable, at that moment, when you're hold the hairdryer on it (distance not less than 15cm/6in) and the wrap starts tilting towards the desired side to fix it.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 10:56 AM   #30
alistairk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MSport, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwauug View Post
Anyone know if it is possible to get part number 2 only?

I have the texture CF shifter and would like to add the trim piece in the steering wheel...

I've asked a few dealers and they've said it's not available separately. There is an aftermarket piece available that's just the part A of the trim piece 2, but it seems to be glossy CF as opposed to the open-pore the OEM uses.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 10:49 PM   #31
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
Did anyone wrap the passenger side vent by the door? None of the trim kits seem to come with this piece...and i still find it kind of odd that its not a piece thats included in the kits.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 10:58 PM   #32
AxialGC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 428i GC

Looks great. Can this be easily removed years down the road if you ever want to change back to stock?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 07:12 AM   #33
n55x3
Captain
Rep

In theory it can be removed. I have yet to peel any back or try to take anything off so I can't say with certainty. I bet if you apply heat it won't be much of an issue pulling it off.

Regarding the passenger side vent, I have yet to see anyone wrap that.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 04:10 PM   #34
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxialGC View Post
Looks great. Can this be easily removed years down the road if you ever want to change back to stock?
No its not, to make it easier use a hairdryer to remove the wrap and clean the naked surface after that with a handwarm soapsolution, use additional a harder sponge to rub off any stains remained.

To the passenger vent: The same statement as n55x, havent seen before and it would be more tricky caused by the rough surface of the console, the wrap could be self lifted, that might be come from the more less adhesive space. Never considered this as a project. Just go ahead

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #35
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Just ordered 48x24 sheet of Dinoc.
Looking forward to doing this!!

Update: Sept 16th

- just started this tonight. Only had enough time to do the two door handles in the back and so far not bad. Decided to start in the back because nobody ever sits there so those would be good parts to practice on and even if its not perfect, it should be fine. Getting a handle on it though so the fronts should definitely be better.

As some have said, a hair dryer will do the trick. No heat gun needed. And a hairdryer hitting the vinyl for 8-10 seconds is more than enough to get the film nice and soft and pliable (really doesn't take long).

So far, loving it! Gives the interior a bit more of a sporty feel (over piano black)

Last edited by E30toF30; 09-16-2015 at 03:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 03:59 PM   #36
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Has anyone thought to wrap the vent trims including the sliver/blue/red accent strip in the carbon?

I have piano black trim with the silver accent. Thinking about covering the silver as well so that the whole thing is carbon. Not sure about how this will look. Does anyone happen to have pictures?

I'm gonna wrap it regardless and if I dont like it, I will then cut that portion off. But I think it will look pretty good.

So far I have all 4 door handles done. Should have the vents and and centre console done by the end of the weekend. So far looking really good!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 02:34 AM   #37
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Pictures, dude...we want pictures
Btw: Starting tonight wrapping my new diffusor into CA-421 before installing it next week, dont like the origin matte black and dont want it painted into glossy black. Curious 'bout the final look, will post on later. Stay tuned^^

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 04:16 PM   #38
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Had wrapped the silver accent piece as well and found it very difficult to make it look good/clean. Maybe I just didn't spend enough time or wasn't patient enough. Ended up peeling that part off.

Its definitely not perfect as there are a couple small bubbles but overall fairly good. I might redo it later but for now, you can't tell unless you look really closely.

Still have the centre console/i-drive controller piece to do but the rest is done.

On another note, has anyone wrapped the trim piece around the light switch underneath the left driver side vent? I think I've seen someone sell a real carbon piece for that for like $100. Thinking it might also look fairly decent.

I've also been thinking about the LED light rails on the doors. Not sure if that ends up being carbon overkill haha

Just a couple pictures since OP and others have already added a bunch.

IMO, I think it looks WAAAAAAY better than the piano black trim.
The car itself is aggressive looking on the outside. It needed this carbon accent to give it that aggressive look on the inside to match.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 01:45 PM   #39
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Nice job dude. Got your center trimline better wrapped than me, I messed up with the cutter by scratching the blue lines and made a non-proper cut line...next time it would be better.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 12:50 AM   #40
Cabobimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Very nice job and very well done! Just a question, I have a tan interior with silver trim and shows some scratches mainly on the center console and was willing to wrap them with brushed aluminium or dark Wood since the top dash and steering are black. Any one have done that and what do you think will look best? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 07:07 AM   #41
n55x3
Captain
Rep

That looks awesome!! nice work.

I had also been thinking about the door led trim pieces as well but I think I'll keep them the standard black for now. I don't know that they need any attention drawn to them.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #42
zman1237
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F12 M6, F32 428i M-Sport

Hey guys so I've been thinking about wrapping my interior pieces. The only problem is I really prefer the glossy look of the M4 real carbon fiber pieces (picture attached below). Unfortunately they are outrageously expensive.
1) Is there a vinyl wrap that gets close to that gloss look?
2) has anyone experimented with real carbon fiber "skinning"? I know it's obviously more difficult than wrapping vinyl, but has anyone done it?
Attached Images

09-27-2015, 01:17 AM   #43
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I believe the 3m 1080 gloss black carbon fibre vinyl would be a good choice. Give it a go. If you don't like it, it's only about $45 and a couple hours of your time.

Do a search on this site. You will find some examples on a number of threads.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 03:12 AM   #44
BimmerF32_430i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Can someone advise me on how to get these damn plugs out?? I've tried just about everything and cannot get these out from the center trim piece. It's ridiculous!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0