F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > Spa day for my F30
Extreme Powerhouse

03-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
marlin2911
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i xDrive

Garage List
Spa day for my F30

Finally got some decent weather this weekend here in NJ, so I took the opportunity to give my new F30 a spa day and polished it all up in and out. Nothing is quite as therapeutic as cleaning your car's finish and making it shine...

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport

Garage List
looking forward to doing that to my car... just took a little trip over the weekend.

Just out of curiosity, what do you use on your wheels to get the brake dust off? I use Windex - its cheap and works really well...
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #3
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Oh, and why don't you throw a pic up of your freshly pampered vehicle?
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 09:08 AM   #4
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAL55 View Post
looking forward to doing that to my car... just took a little trip over the weekend.

Just out of curiosity, what do you use on your wheels to get the brake dust off? I use Windex - its cheap and works really well...
Grab some Sonax wheel cleaner full effect. I've found a few gems during my "paying way too much for detailing crap" phase (still in the middle of it lol). A lot of the stuff is gimmicky, but the Sonax wheel cleaner is more than worth it, makes cleaning wheels very easy!

I can't see how Windex works....at all....
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 09:11 AM   #5
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Grab some Sonax wheel cleaner full effect. I've found a few gems during my "paying way too much for detailing crap" phase (still in the middle of it lol). A lot of the stuff is gimmicky, but the Sonax wheel cleaner is more than worth it, makes cleaning wheels very easy!

I can't see how Windex works....at all....
Thanks!! How about over time, will it eat away at the finish on the Alloy? Also, I had some curb rash that I had fixed and find a lot of wheel acids to just eat away at the finish - especially once you curb it and get through the alloy... That is why I use the Windex, it works really well - trust me. I will give your stuff a try when my AH3 is here.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 09:35 AM   #6
marlin2911
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks!

I personally use this for the wheels:

http://www.detailedimage.com/P21S-M1...000-ml-Kit-S1/

Does a great job of breaking up dust and grime on the wheels as well as other surfaces too, like the engine bay as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #7
jonkarn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 M-Sport Stage 1 GS

You may have jumped the gun on spa day. Looks like some late march snow coming tues night. Not a lot, but at least enough to dirty your freshly pampered black finish. This winter just doesn't want to let go. Glad my car isn't due for delivery until next week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin2911 View Post
Finally got some decent weather this weekend here in NJ, so I took the opportunity to give my new F30 a spa day and polished it all up in and out. Nothing is quite as therapeutic as cleaning your car's finish and making it shine...

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Sweet! I love the sport package look. Very classic BMW!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAL55 View Post
Thanks!! How about over time, will it eat away at the finish on the Alloy? Also, I had some curb rash that I had fixed and find a lot of wheel acids to just eat away at the finish - especially once you curb it and get through the alloy... That is why I use the Windex, it works really well - trust me. I will give your stuff a try when my AH3 is here.
I can't tell you from experience, only been using it for a year or so. Pretty doubtful that it eats away the paint, considering how many people swear by this stuff.

The problem is brake dust can really bake on there. During the times when it's not freezing out (lol a distant memory), I go sonax -> foam gun -> regular soap...I use wheel woolies, those things are awesome but pretty $$$.

I opti-coated my forgestar wheels, which makes them easier to clean I've found, but didn't do it to my oem wheels I run in the winter. I'll probably do that before next winter.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #10
Mikepr03
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 428i

Gorgeous though
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #11
marlin2911
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkarn View Post
You may have jumped the gun on spa day. Looks like some late march snow coming tues night. Not a lot, but at least enough to dirty your freshly pampered black finish. This winter just doesn't want to let go. Glad my car isn't due for delivery until next week!
Yea originally it looked like it was going to be a dusting, which I don't mind...so long as there is no salt on the roads I'll be happy.

Either way I wanted to get some protection on the car since I just picked it up last month, and whatever the dealer puts on it generally garbage in my mind. So if it snows/salts, I'm protected! haha
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #12
sbw
Ultimate Driver
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche Cayman

Sweet!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #13
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Windex??? ... How much cheaper is windex than a wheel cleaner... $1..$1.50..?? C'mon dude! Windex contains ammonia, that will for sure eat away the clear coat off your rims.... And if it's about the money you can just clean them with the soap you use to wash the car... Obviously if they are really dirty it will take longer.
That's why when possible always good to wash the car frequently, makes the car easier to clean next time
      03-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #14
Thackers
Yorkshire Sniper
England
Rep
Drives: F30 320d Sport

Put a decent wheel sealant on in the first place and the brake dust just falls off with a neutral PH shampoo.....No need for any aggressive cleaners.
Planet Polish wheel sealant is excellent and lasts 3 months.
If your wheels are in a bad way already try Angelwax Revolt or ValetPro dragons breath...Both can be used on any type of wheels or paint work for a full decontamination
Ive used both and both have excellent reviews on detailng world
Appreciate 0