F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > How do I remove the rear dome light?
Studio RSR

11-16-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

How do I remove the rear dome light?

Does anyone know how to remove the rear dome light? There is an annoying rattle there i'm trying to get rid of. I tried prying all around the assembly with a trim removal tool but didn't want to use too much force since i didn't know where the clips are. Thanks
Attached Images

11-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
f30luxline
e92 - 335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: thisonetimeatbandcamp

There are 2 panel clips on the front edge. The clips aren't very secure to the light housing and may come loose from the light. If your lucky they will fall to the floor. If your unlucky one or two of the clips will end up in the headliner

I had the same rattle. I attached velcro to the perimeter sides of the light to solve the issue.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2014, 10:20 PM   #3
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Same problem here different solution. First to get the dome light out. With clean hands or gloves push the dome light from it's rear edge toward the front of the car. There are 2 metal leaf clips that will flex and allow you to pull down the dome light. In your case you may find only one if the other has fallen into the headliner. To get it out requires a LOT of patience. Disconnect the dome light. Start to tap on the headliner to see if the clip rattles. Try to get it toward the dome light wiring hole. This is why you need clean hands or you'll mar the liner. I got it out after 20 mins. I reattached the clip using a glue gun but other adhesives may also work. Test strength before placing light back in car
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 10:58 PM   #4
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

I destroyed the whole light when I removed it on my 7. It has the same type of clips. I broke those, and the tabs on the opposite side. Ended up having to replace the whole assembly for $160. So not worth it to install LEDs.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 12:49 AM   #5
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars
Same problem here different solution. First to get the dome light out. With clean hands or gloves push the dome light from it's rear edge toward the front of the car. There are 2 metal leaf clips that will flex and allow you to pull down the dome light. In your case you may find only one if the other has fallen into the headliner. To get it out requires a LOT of patience. Disconnect the dome light. Start to tap on the headliner to see if the clip rattles. Try to get it toward the dome light wiring hole. This is why you need clean hands or you'll mar the liner. I got it out after 20 mins. I reattached the clip using a glue gun but other adhesives may also work. Test strength before placing light back in car
Thanks this is the info I needed. So just push the assembly forward and pull it down. I'll have a better idea on what is causing the noise once I have them assembly out.
      11-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
f30luxline
e92 - 335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: thisonetimeatbandcamp

The light has the clips on the front edge, not the rear. You want to remove the light from the clip (front) side not the tab (rear) side. See my pics and you can judge where the clips are. Using a panel or similar tool gently pry from the front edge and the light pops out pretty easy.

I couldn't get it off for the life of me the way menncars describes. I felt I was applying too much force and I was going break something.

Pic 1 - Rear edge
Pic 2 - Front edge
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-17-2014, 10:35 PM   #7
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30luxline
The light has the clips on the front edge, not the rear. You want to remove the light from the clip (front) side not the tab (rear) side. See my pics and you can judge where the clips are. Using a panel or similar tool gently pry from the front edge and the light pops out pretty easy.

I couldn't get it off for the life of me the way menncars describes. I felt I was applying too much force and I was going break something.

Pic 1 - Rear edge
Pic 2 - Front edge
Thanks! I was just going to post that the other described method didn't work. I couldnt push the housing forward or back
      12-12-2017, 07:27 PM   #8
jinmin1981
Registered
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 320d m sport year 2013

F30 dome light

Anyone got an idea on how to remove the light cover?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 09:07 AM   #9
jinmin1981
Registered
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 320d m sport year 2013

F30 dome light cover

Anyone can post a video of how to remove the dome light cover?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 02:08 AM   #10
MK Wales
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i

f30luxline's method worked for me - 5 minutes! One of the front spring clips had dislodged from the dome light and was rattling round like crazy. Used handle of a tea spoon to get the light out of the headliner, and fortunately the loose clip was near the hole, so easy to find.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 12:27 PM   #11
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

Great stuff - just as I was looking for advise on this. I’m changing both front and back to a light housing option with reading lights (yeah... that stuff shouldn’t be allowed to be optional on cars like this)

Any guide for the same on the front? And last question: is the rear light the same box as the front? Looks like it’s possible to purchase front lights but that includes the big black border
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 04:38 AM   #12
nero666
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 330e

Rattle silenced

Thanks f30luxline, your method worked. I used a plastic trim tool to pry open the FRONT side of the dome light (sitting in the passenger seat facing backwards). Worked in a second and found the clip had come loose. I'd made several attempts earlier trying to do pull down the dome from the rear side. Lots of sweat and fear for for getting it backwards.
Rattle now silenced
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 03:43 PM   #13
himanshutrivedi95@gmail.c
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Hi, Anyone got any idea on how to remove the from and the back light housing on these f30 ? I am trying to change the helogens but i am not able to open the housing. Any help will be highly appreciated
Appreciate 0