F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge > Mayweather vs. Ortiz
Extreme Powerhouse

09-19-2011, 02:08 AM   #67
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Anyone else think Mayweather should have been DQ? I didn't see the ref start the fight.
I've only seen the clips. If he did signal to start fighting, he did it sloppily. Nowhere in the clip did I see him make eye contact with each fighter and ask if he was ready and then make that hand signal in between the fighters to resume fighting. As I said in one of my other posts, probably in another thread, it just smells fishy and something you would see in WWE.

If I were Ortiz, I would ask for a rematch. Mayweather did offer him one. He had Mayweather on the ropes in that 4th round and actually won a round on one card.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 02:49 AM   #68
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I didn't see the ref start the fight at all and I've seen the replay many times. Cortez only made eye contact with Ortiz when the 2nd shot was landed and by that stage it was too late. I thought those 2 shots were illegal and seeing as though Ortiz couldn't continue it would be a DQ for sure. Interesting fight, I would like to see an immediate rematch.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #69
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

I have spent the last 36 hours listening to people say things like, "Ortiz isn't good enough to be Mayweather's sparring partner.."

Well, newsflash for all you mayweather cock gobbler's out there, he chose Ortiz as his next fight. It wasn't decided for him. Mayweather said, "My next fight is against Victor Ortiz." That's it.

Shit, I wonder how long I could go undefeated if I only fought the fights I knew I would win..

What if Ali never fought Frazier? What if Sugar had not boxed into his 40s? Losing is a part of boxing when you allow yourself to fight the appropriate competition. But if he chooses to fight to remain undefeated, well he is simply a paper tiger and not deserving of the admiration he so desires.
      09-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #70
driersheets
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
I have spent the last 36 hours listening to people say things like, "Ortiz isn't good enough to be Mayweather's sparring partner.."

Well, newsflash for all you mayweather cock gobbler's out there, he chose Ortiz as his next fight. It wasn't decided for him. Mayweather said, "My next fight is against Victor Ortiz." That's it.

Shit, I wonder how long I could go undefeated if I only fought the fights I knew I would win..

What if Ali never fought Frazier? What if Sugar had not boxed into his 40s? Losing is a part of boxing when you allow yourself to fight the appropriate competition. But if he chooses to fight to remain undefeated, well he is simply a paper tiger and not deserving of the admiration he so desires.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #71
Keik E92 M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.00]
2011 BMW 335i  [6.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
mayweather is a bitch
So what you are saying here is that you would step in the ring with mayweather and say that too his face?

Sorry but not a chance...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 05:34 PM   #72
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by keikdasneak View Post
So what you are saying here is that you would step in the ring with mayweather and say that too his face?

Sorry but not a chance...
Just because someone can kick your ass doesn't mean they're not a bitch. While boxing has rules, there is also a code, like there is in hockey. Cheap shots are for bitches.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #73
Keik E92 M3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.00]
2011 BMW 335i  [6.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Just because someone can kick your ass doesn't mean they're not a bitch. While boxing has rules, there is also a code, like there is in hockey. Cheap shots are for bitches.
So if that's a "cheap shot" what does that make ortiz? A bitch A$$ mutha f****?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #74
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
I just watched the fight. I'm not a big Mayweather fan but that was completely legit. Cortez broke them up after the headbutt, took Ortiz by the hand, walked him around the ring and signaled to the judges he was going to take a point off, brought the two back together and signaled with his left hand to continue action. At which point, Ortiz tried to kiss Mayweather again and Mayweather smacked him up. Completely legit.

This fight needs to happen again. Ortiz, even though repeatedly getting tagged, was never hurt, kept walking through the punches. He had enough speed to land some shots and with his strength, back Mayweather into the corner several times. Mayweather definitely had more skill, speed and accuracy to keep connecting and scoring. I don't think if they completed the fight, the shots would have been enough to wear Ortiz down but based on Ortiz backing Mayweather down and connecting in the 4th round, Ortiz had a chance, although slim if Mayweather decided to just keep scoring all fight long and not get into exchanges.

I think if Mayweather is looking to make more money before he puts his record at risk against Pacquiao, he will make Mayweather-Ortiz II happen.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #75
BMCoupe_782
Bavarian Fever
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' e92 328xi TiAg

So I just got back from Vegas and was at the fight. I flew in especially and the experience was definitely worth it.

I stayed at the MGM Grand - and the whole place was buzzing from Saturday morning onwards. There was a massive Ortiz contingent; they were talking shit all day. I had very good seats - close to the ring and pretty damn expensive -- but I was surrounded by belligerent Ortiz fans and it definitely kept things interesting. You should have heard the boos when Money came out with 50 cent. Every time Floyd did anything he was booed. Anytime Ortiz made a run the crowd they went nuts. Everyone was on his side naturally. The fight was exciting until the KO and I honestly think people in the crowd were just stunned at the result...with a mixture of anger and bewilderment. The words that Mayweather had with Merchant at the end was ridiculous...but it made for entertaining boxing.

I'm an extremely loyal Mayweather fan, so of course I'm glad he won. IMO he's the best lb for lb boxer in the game and one of the all-time greats. His speed, accuracy, stamina, technical ability and defense are the best I've ever seen. I truly believe he was right when he said Ortiz would have gone gone down anyway. Mayweather was clearly winning the fight before the controversial KO. I was a tad bit disappointed by the short length of the fight...but it's a W for the money team nonetheless. As far as the debate: Mayweather's KO was completely legal and opinions will vary according to who you supported. Mayweather fans will say Ortiz deserved it ...keep your hands up and protect yourself at ALL times. We found Ortiz's behavior to be a bit bizzare with too much hugging and trying to make up. Anyone who knows Mayweather knows he's crafty and was going to do something to retaliate. That headbutt was straight nasty and completely illegal. Ortiz fans will see it as a "cheap" shot to an unsuspecting Ortiz. Whatever the case, it was a KO even though it wasn't done in the prettiest or classiest of manners. I'm just pissed I didn't go with my instinct and bet on a Mayweather KO before the 6th round. I forget what the exact odds were at the betting tables but some dudes made A LOT of cash.

I won't go into the Pacquiao vs. Mayweather debate. That's just a fight that needs to happen. Pacman needs to take the test. End of.
| ESS n52 Tune | BMW Performance Intake/Exhaust | LUX H8 v3 AE | GP Thunder 8500K fogs/corners | LED: signals/interior | V1 hardwired | debadge | AC pedals | Performance shift knob/boot | CF e-brake | Aero lip | m3 side skirts/spoiler | MB kidneys | Strut brace | Painted reflectors | Painted Calipers/Hubs | 35% 3M tint | Smoked tails | CF Roundels | 19" Miro 942 | Conti DWS | H&R Springs for xi | Bilstein Shocks| Nxt: Alpine Subs/Amps
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 06:50 PM   #76
Keik E92 M3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.00]
2011 BMW 335i  [6.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMCoupe_782 View Post
So I just got back from Vegas and was at the fight. I flew in especially and the experience was definitely worth it.

I stayed at the MGM Grand - and the whole place was buzzing from Saturday morning onwards. There was a massive Ortiz contingent; they were talking shit all day. I had very good seats - close to the ring and pretty damn expensive -- but I was surrounded by belligerent Ortiz fans and it definitely kept things interesting. You should have heard the boos when Money came out with 50 cent. Every time Floyd did anything he was booed. Anytime Ortiz made a run the crowd they went nuts. Everyone was on his side naturally. The fight was exciting until the KO and I honestly think people in the crowd were just stunned at the result...with a mixture of anger and bewilderment. The words that Mayweather had with Merchant at the end was ridiculous...but it made for entertaining boxing.

I'm an extremely loyal Mayweather fan, so of course I'm glad he won. IMO he's the best lb for lb boxer in the game and one of the all-time greats. His speed, accuracy, stamina, technical ability and defense are the best I've ever seen. I truly believe he was right when he said Ortiz would have gone gone down anyway. Mayweather was clearly winning the fight before the controversial KO. I was a tad bit disappointed by the short length of the fight...but it's a W for the money team nonetheless. As far as the debate: Mayweather's KO was completely legal and opinions will vary according to who you supported. Mayweather fans will say Ortiz deserved it ...keep your hands up and protect yourself at ALL times. We found Ortiz's behavior to be a bit bizzare with too much hugging and trying to make up. Anyone who knows Mayweather knows he's crafty and was going to do something to retaliate. That headbutt was straight nasty and completely illegal. Ortiz fans will see it as a "cheap" shot to an unsuspecting Ortiz. Whatever the case, it was a KO even though it wasn't done in the prettiest or classiest of manners. I'm just pissed I didn't go with my instinct and bet on a Mayweather KO before the 6th round. I forget what the exact odds were at the betting tables but some dudes made A LOT of cash.

I won't go into the Pacquiao vs. Mayweather debate. That's just a fight that needs to happen. Pacman needs to take the test. End of.

+1
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #77
purpl3ish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Velvet Orchid M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMCoupe_782 View Post

+2!
      09-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #78
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #79
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by keikdasneak View Post
So if that's a "cheap shot" what does that make ortiz? A bitch A$$ mutha f****?
TBH I didn't see ortiz's offense, but have heard it was cheap as fuck too. All videos have been taken down, if you have one please post it. At least both fighters knew they were fighting at that point though. They could both kick my ass, doesn't mean they both aren't bitches
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #80
BMCoupe_782
Bavarian Fever
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' e92 328xi TiAg

damn can't believe all the links are down. I was just watching an HD version of the entire fight late last night on youtube....
| ESS n52 Tune | BMW Performance Intake/Exhaust | LUX H8 v3 AE | GP Thunder 8500K fogs/corners | LED: signals/interior | V1 hardwired | debadge | AC pedals | Performance shift knob/boot | CF e-brake | Aero lip | m3 side skirts/spoiler | MB kidneys | Strut brace | Painted reflectors | Painted Calipers/Hubs | 35% 3M tint | Smoked tails | CF Roundels | 19" Miro 942 | Conti DWS | H&R Springs for xi | Bilstein Shocks| Nxt: Alpine Subs/Amps
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #81
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
You mean like the code Ortiz was following when he threw repeatedly at the back of Floyd's head? What if that headbutt had cut a 3" gash over Floyd's eye? That shit can haunt you for the rest of your career!

Personally I hate the whole incessant glove touching that some of these fighters do...cough cough Mosley. No one came to see two friendly guys fight - knock the motherfucker out.

Seriously, you have no idea what you are talking about.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #82
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
As others have said, I didn't see the ref restart the fight. I've been looking for a video of the whole thing, haven't found one yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 10:17 PM   #83
driersheets
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
You mean like the code Ortiz was following when he threw repeatedly at the back of Floyd's head? What if that headbutt had cut a 3" gash over Floyd's eye? That shit can haunt you for the rest of your career!

Personally I hate the whole incessant glove touching that some of these fighters do...cough cough Mosley. No one came to see two friendly guys fight - knock the motherfucker out.

csb.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #84
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As others have said, I didn't see the ref restart the fight. I've been looking for a video of the whole thing, haven't found one yet.
Cortez sucks. He had a horribly controversial fight last year IIRC in which he made the wrong decision. I think he even got his catch phrase wrong to start the fight.

He claims he told them to fight. He was looking at the time keeper when Floyd KOed Ortiz.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #85
AU335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

http://mosley-vs-mayweather-fight.bl...-knockout.html

scroll down to the video... this is a video from the headbutt to the larry merchant interview lol
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 12:19 AM   #86
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post

I agree. That fight with Pacquiao sucked. Mosley was all nice to MP leading up to the fight hoping MP wouldn't knock his ass out. It worked. MP barely went after him. They kept touching gloves during the fight.

I'm looking for boxers to go in there and try to kill each other. Exactly what will happen in the Pacquiao-Marquez fight.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 12:40 AM   #87
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

You guys should check this out. Dana White has an interesting perspective and I tend to agree with him. Basically he says Cortez sucks big time and there was a lot on the line for the fighters.

He starts talking about boxing about a 1/3 of the way in. http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/09/2...ike-airing-be/
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #88
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
I agree. That fight with Pacquiao sucked. Mosley was all nice to MP leading up to the fight hoping MP wouldn't knock his ass out. It worked. MP barely went after him. They kept touching gloves during the fight.

I'm looking for boxers to go in there and try to kill each other. Exactly what will happen in the Pacquiao-Marquez fight.
Pac is going to obliterate Marquez. Will not
Be competitive at all. Guaranteed horrible fight. But I agree that they will both go after each other.
Appreciate 0