F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Do you use Suprmarket petrol/diesel ?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

Do you use Suprmarket petrol/diesel ?

Do you buy supermarket petrol/ diesel , or do you buy Shell/BP/Esso etc ?
Do you think it doesn't matter which make fuel you use, the cheaper the better, or do you think the branded fuels are better for the engine ?
I mostly use Shell, but if my wife has a 5p a litre discount voucher, I will occasionally use a supermarket fuel.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isow View Post
Do you buy supermarket petrol/ diesel , or do you buy Shell/BP/Esso etc ?
Do you think it doesn't matter which make fuel you use, the cheaper the better, or do you think the branded fuels are better for the engine ?
I mostly use Shell, but if my wife has a 5p a litre discount voucher, I will occasionally use a supermarket fuel.
My mate does the Diesel Tank cleaning and advised me never to use Morrisons Diesel as their tanks are the filthiest. I have used Shell STD a lot and sainsburys Petrol and Diesel a lot, no problems.
The wife uses ASDA no reported problems with her car ( KIA 1.4 RIO 3 )
      11-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Mostly use Shell (standard) as it's nearby. Tend to avoid supermarkets because there always seem to be long queues when I'm passing by. Don't have any specific brand loyalty though, so would happily use BP if there was a garage closer.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Always use the higher octane stuff from the major brands to ensure that I get all the horsepower I've paid for

Tesco super gogo juice is fine.

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

If your engine is designed to run on 95RON, run it on 95RON because 98/99RON will never pay for itself and makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. If your car is tuned to use 98RON then use 98RON. Simples.

There was a big thread about this recently with lots of real, factual info in it rather than "I use posh because I have a nice car"
      11-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
Always use the higher octane stuff from the major brands to ensure that I get all the horsepower I've paid for

Tesco super gogo juice is fine.

For a moment I read super poop juice!

Best Petrol and Diesel is from your local Royal Dutch Shell Drinking Stations. I wish I could fish-out the comparative test results which I perused a few weeks ago. Various engine performance parameters were tested for a range of brands including Tescoburys.

From my excellent memory bank: Shell is numero uno, ESSO the runner-up. The rest are super duper gogo poop discharge.
      11-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
F30FAN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport -

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
For a moment I read super poop juice!

Best Petrol and Diesel is from your local Royal Dutch Shell Drinking Stations. I wish I could fish-out the comparative test results which I perused a few weeks ago. Various engine performance parameters were tested for a range of brands including Tescoburys.

From my excellent memory bank: Shell is numero uno, ESSO the runner-up. The rest are super duper gogo poop discharge.
As Maestro would say .... simples

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781108
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
Doc943
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d SE

Whatever's cheapest, including supermarket fuel.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 02:42 AM   #9
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
If your engine is designed to run on 95RON, run it on 95RON because 98/99RON will never pay for itself and makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. If your car is tuned to use 98RON then use 98RON. Simples.

There was a big thread about this recently with lots of real, factual info in it rather than "I use posh because I have a nice car"
Spot on,all the guys in the states said use highest ron/octane in my 550i F10 M Sport, when I opened the fuel flap it said 95 RON thats what it got and it flew.
Attached Images

11-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Agree with your comments, but with our BMW engines this is where it all gets a bit ambiguous... quote from BMW in their brochures.

Quote:
BMW recommends the use of RON 95 super unleaded petrol. Unleaded RON 91 and higher with a maximum ethanol content of 10 % may also be used. Output and fuel consumption figures apply to RON 98 fuel.
RON 95 is not 'super unleaded' and BMW's own performance/fuel tests are done with RON 98. Other BMW data suggests the engines are designed for RON 98 and using lower octane ratings has a slight decrease in power and increase in fuel consumption.

My car (535i engine) has on the fuel cap, in bold print.. "Ron 95 unleaded petrol" and underneath (RON 91 - 99). In the user manual RON 95 is recommended and then says "fuel qualities with 91 RON and higher are permitted".

In clear print as a stand alone statement, BMW recommends BP fuels

I personally think BMW has to say RON 95, as not all fuel stations have other options in the UK. If they said "use, or BMW recommend RON 98" we'd have a big issue with finding the fuel in some areas.

Of course our petrol engines will adapt to the fuel used, but RON 98 is going to be the nearest match to the claims BMW make for performance.

I'm using Esso super unleaded RON 97 in my 535i. It's the lowest price difference locally for a premium fuel, (can't get RON 98 around here). Esso, in their spec' sheet state is has double the additive/cleaning values as their standard Esso unleaded RON 95 fuel. As I can be making short trips I do it for that alone, as if anything can help keep the engine A1, that is best practice as far as I'm concerned.

Was same for the diesel, the additive package to help keep the dirty old diesel cleaner inside was the main reason for using BP Ultimate. The fact it was sweeter, pulled better mid range and gave a couple more mpg, were all bonuses.

A couple of videos from Fifth Gear may be worth watching.

HighlandPete

Last edited by HighlandPete; 11-10-2012 at 05:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #11
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Yes, you're absolutely right and I agree with your comments. However, from a holistic view, it can never be justified. the difference in bhp from "normal" fuel to V-Power or Momentum (on a car designed to run on 95RON) is not worth the extra money. You'll certainly not pay for itself in terms of efficiencies and mileage and other than placebo effect, you'll not notice the difference. If you're on the clock, tracking your car then yeah - use Momentum. If you're not then just use a half-decent, branded 95RON fuel
      11-10-2012, 06:29 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I've been around engines for enough years to not just think about the short term. Immediate power outputs and mpg are not the only factors.

I know many will be trading their cars well before any fuel related issues come about. But for many users, fuel choice, coupled with their car use, does have a high mileage cost.

There have been a few articles on DPF issues in the motoring press of recent months, as DPF faults and failures are the biggest worry (and reality) to many diesel users of medium to high mileage cars. One thing that does get mentioned and listed as a prime consideration, is using "good quality fuel" and the use of additives, which enhance the combustion quality on a day to day basis.

Food for thought, but many new car users won't have that issue, we can just pass that problem on to someone else down the line. But just because we don't see a penalty to fuel choice, it doesn't mean it isn't there.

If we intend to run the car into high mileage, it could be cost effective (long term) to use a premium fuel.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #13
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Don't agree that you can't feel the difference. Go and run the car on V Power for a few tanks and then switch back to regular and you'll see what I mean. Why would you spend £35 grand on a car and then worry about a few quid on extra fuel costs. You'll gain a mile per gallon or two on the V Power anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #14
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you're absolutely right and I agree with your comments. However, from a holistic view, it can never be justified. the difference in bhp from "normal" fuel to V-Power or Momentum (on a car designed to run on 95RON) is not worth the extra money. You'll certainly not pay for itself in terms of efficiencies and mileage and other than placebo effect, you'll not notice the difference. If you're on the clock, tracking your car then yeah - use Momentum. If you're not then just use a half-decent, branded 95RON fuel
Totally agreed, not many will work an engine long enough or hard enough to justify the silly price hike.
Most would never even notice ANY change in performance at all.
5 BHP using SHELL super duper Ha Ha would you even feel it..
      11-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #15
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Just a quick note:

In the UK, we are blessed with having a high quality fuel. Even our worst fuels are significantly better than some countries premium stuff, that BMW (any OEM) have to take into account

Just worth mentioning
Appreciate 0