F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Sonos Arc Surround
Extreme Powerhouse

08-20-2020, 10:24 AM   #23
Devilot
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Well I’ve finally got all the bits I needed. 1xSonos Arc, 1xSonos Sub and 2xOne SL for surrounds.

Music etc sounds great and it’s nicely configurable about whether you want the rears on full or just ambient for sound, and I’ve had to knock the sub down a couple of notches as it’s really powerful next to the rest.

It’s freed a a load of room in the loung too and it all looks so much smarter now without all the 7.1 surrounds and 2 Atmos speakers, but due to amp the 2 rear we’re redundant as those inputs were used for Atmos.

The sound from the TV is excellent and also from the built in apps like Netflix, Amazon and Disney+.

Now, the massive bad news. Lip sync is SHOCKING on anything that passes through the TV, picture before sound the worst way round it could be. So that’s Sky Q, BD, Apple TV, PS4 and Xbox. The latter 2 not such an issue as only used for gaming. It seems to be an issue with our LG But I believe Samsung and others are just as bad. Basically the processing from the TV to pass the audio stream through to the Arc takes longer than sending the picture through to the screen. I believe this also affects Bose high end sound bars too. You can fix it with Sky by setting HDMI audio out to normal but this then only outputs stereo so you lose all the Dolby digital effectively giving the tv very little work to do with the audio. This is a huge deal breaker. If it wasn’t for a great bit of kit coming in September I’d return the lot.

Fortunately HDFury are releasing a UHD/Earc adapter called Arcana that sits between the external devices and the tv and sends sound direct to the Arc bypassing the tv, but the picture is still sent to tv and also arc from the tv also works back through it for TV sound and those apps. Will hopefully work great as instead of plugging all into the TV I decided to get a 4k hdmi switch so they all plug into that then out to the tv. the Arcana can sit on that HDMI and cover all the devices. (I did try plugging sky into tv direct and there was no difference). Pain is Arcana will be another £150 on top of the outlay for the kit but if it fixes it then happy days as for everything else I’m really happy with and how much better the room looks.

https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

The other thing as mentioned earlier is there’s no way I’d be happy without the Sonos Sub, the bass would be too lacking, though it is better than TV on its own. But as I have the sub it’s irrelevant.

Fingers crossed on the Arcana.

Some LG tv’s have option to adjust delay on audio, I think it’s called AV sync adjustment, look through you menu, If your LG support it, could be straight forward solution.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 12:44 PM   #24
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Astra Hybrid | Corsa Ultimate

Quote:
You've got it via optical cable, which supposedly doesnt have the problem. However with an optical cable you can't get Dolby Digital Plus or Atmos as it doesn't have the bandwidth to carry the signal.

When its picture before sound theres no fix, if it was the other way round its easy to fix as you say by just adding in delay.
Apparently my old bar was optical this is something different
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 03:37 PM   #25
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilot View Post
Some LG tv’s have option to adjust delay on audio, I think it’s called AV sync adjustment, look through you menu, If your LG support it, could be straight forward solution.
I don’t want to delay the audio, it’s already delayed. The lips on the picture move before the sound so delaying the sound will only make matters worse. That would work if the speech came before the lips moved but it’s the other way round.

There is very little that can fix picture before sound, this has been a big issue to lots of people (not just Sonos) and we are all hoping Arcana does what it claims.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 03:41 PM   #26
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dX View Post
Apparently my old bar was optical this is something different
Well it’s either HDMI or Optical, I don’t believe there’s any other connection method! The arc comes with an hdmi cable and an optical adapter. The Arc itself only has an hdmi input.

Also issues are only via passthru, if you don’t have sky etc running through the tv before going to the arc then you wouldn’t experience the issue. Nor would the issue occur if external devices are outputting stereo not Dolby. Normal Digital tv and all the tv’s app work absolutely fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 03:33 AM   #27
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

I was about to bite the bullet on a new Arc, Sub, 2x1s and a new LG CX 55" TV.

If I don't use a set top box, i.e. only use the apps on the TV will this sync issue not exist? In theory nothing is coming through the TV from an external box into TV and then into Arc.
      08-21-2020, 03:41 AM   #28
Ronstein
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2019 640i GT MSport

We've just gone the Samsung route. Sound bar is optic fibre (optical) connected and is really good. TV is great apart from an apparently well known and long standing fault with Samsung Smart TV's where the Wi-Fi keeps dropping out. Ended up having to connect it by ethernet cable to a Wi-Fi Extender disc. :-(
- 2016 335D Touring M Sport X-drive
- 2014 335D GT X-Drive MSport
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 04:28 AM   #29
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4z View Post
I was about to bite the bullet on a new Arc, Sub, 2x1s and a new LG CX 55" TV.

If I don't use a set top box, i.e. only use the apps on the TV will this sync issue not exist? In theory nothing is coming through the TV from an external box into TV and then into Arc.
You'll be absolutely fine. If you are only using the TV and its apps its perfect and you'll love it
Appreciate 1
gr4z1135.00
      09-19-2020, 02:50 PM   #30
Devilot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well I’ve finally got all the bits I needed. 1xSonos Arc, 1xSonos Sub and 2xOne SL for surrounds.

Music etc sounds great and it’s nicely configurable about whether you want the rears on full or just ambient for sound, and I’ve had to knock the sub down a couple of notches as it’s really powerful next to the rest.

It’s freed a a load of room in the loung too and it all looks so much smarter now without all the 7.1 surrounds and 2 Atmos speakers, but due to amp the 2 rear we’re redundant as those inputs were used for Atmos.

The sound from the TV is excellent and also from the built in apps like Netflix, Amazon and Disney+.

Now, the massive bad news. Lip sync is SHOCKING on anything that passes through the TV, picture before sound the worst way round it could be. So that’s Sky Q, BD, Apple TV, PS4 and Xbox. The latter 2 not such an issue as only used for gaming. It seems to be an issue with our LG But I believe Samsung and others are just as bad. Basically the processing from the TV to pass the audio stream through to the Arc takes longer than sending the picture through to the screen. I believe this also affects Bose high end sound bars too. You can fix it with Sky by setting HDMI audio out to normal but this then only outputs stereo so you lose all the Dolby digital effectively giving the tv very little work to do with the audio. This is a huge deal breaker. If it wasn’t for a great bit of kit coming in September I’d return the lot.

Fortunately HDFury are releasing a UHD/Earc adapter called Arcana that sits between the external devices and the tv and sends sound direct to the Arc bypassing the tv, but the picture is still sent to tv and also arc from the tv also works back through it for TV sound and those apps. Will hopefully work great as instead of plugging all into the TV I decided to get a 4k hdmi switch so they all plug into that then out to the tv. the Arcana can sit on that HDMI and cover all the devices. (I did try plugging sky into tv direct and there was no difference). Pain is Arcana will be another £150 on top of the outlay for the kit but if it fixes it then happy days as for everything else I’m really happy with and how much better the room looks.

https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

The other thing as mentioned earlier is there’s no way I’d be happy without the Sonos Sub, the bass would be too lacking, though it is better than TV on its own. But as I have the sub it’s irrelevant.

Fingers crossed on the Arcana.

Managed to get your Arcana yet? If so, did it improve things?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 03:56 AM   #31
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Not yet they only started shipping last week. It’s on its way should be with me Wednesday so I’ll update once it’s fitted...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 10:23 AM   #32
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Right, the Arcana arrived today and is now plumbed in. It works perfectly, all my issues are gone.

All external devices are plugged into an HDMI switch, that goes to the HDMI in on the Arcana, EARC out on Arcana goes to the Sonos Arc via the Sonos lead and another hi speed hdmi from the hdmi out on Arcana into the hdmi arc port on the tv.

Sound from the TV's apps to the Sonos works perfectly with correct audio and Sonos app displaying Atmos.

Now UHD and Atmos from Sky is working perfectly too with Atmos displayed in the Sonos app, but most importantly, lip sync issues are totally gone with no need to have Sky set to output in Stereo over HDMI, now set to DD+ and all good.

I am a happy camper, seems a great product
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 01:58 PM   #33
Devilot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Right, the Arcana arrived today and is now plumbed in. It works perfectly, all my issues are gone.

All external devices are plugged into an HDMI switch, that goes to the HDMI in on the Arcana, EARC out on Arcana goes to the Sonos Arc via the Sonos lead and another hi speed hdmi from the hdmi out on Arcana into the hdmi arc port on the tv.

Sound from the TV's apps to the Sonos works perfectly with correct audio and Sonos app displaying Atmos.

Now UHD and Atmos from Sky is working perfectly too with Atmos displayed in the Sonos app, but most importantly, lip sync issues are totally gone with no need to have Sky set to output in Stereo over HDMI, now set to DD+ and all good.

Great.

Glad it sorted the issues for you and it was not wasted investment.
Appreciate 1
SkyJawa3718.50
      09-25-2020, 03:43 AM   #34
mcscoobs
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive

So to jump on the end of this thread... I have a Sonos beam (freestanding on a tv unit below the tv), Sonos sub and 2 x Sonos One's. Would I notice the difference upgrading the Beam to the Arc? Am I able to have it freestanding also?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 03:49 AM   #35
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcscoobs View Post
So to jump on the end of this thread... I have a Sonos beam (freestanding on a tv unit below the tv), Sonos sub and 2 x Sonos One's. Would I notice the difference upgrading the Beam to the Arc? Am I able to have it freestanding also?
Yes the arc is freestanding too or you can buy a wall mount.

I didn't have a beam before I had a 5.1.2 setup with amp so can't really guide here but don't feel I'm missing out, if anything it sounds better.

I would imagine the Arc is a step up from the beam though looking at specs and its newer tech, plus you get the height channels for atmos.
Appreciate 1
mcscoobs169.00
      09-25-2020, 11:40 AM   #36
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I am on the verge of ordering one as I can get 15% off. My only concern is that none of us have iPhone to get the trueplay app. The reason I want that is that it will be in the corner of a room with one end close to one wall so the side firing speaker will bounce off.
Did anyone else bother using trueplay or just leave as is?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 04:21 PM   #37
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

I used it as part of the setup so couldn’t tell you what the difference was. From what I’ve read it’s just some minor tuning anyway and is just fine without it..... (no I’m not trying to spend your money lol!)

It essentially pans down to small room, probably not worth it to go arc, tight budget not worth it, have budget and not a box room the arc will make a difference...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 11:20 AM   #38
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Quote:

Sorry to dig this back up, but I'm just about to purchase an Arc to replace my traditional 5.1 setup for use with my new LG 65CX.

Assume you've still been working trouble-free with the Arcana?

Cheers
      12-28-2020, 02:06 PM   #39
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I can highly recommend them. No lip sync issues with lg oled and sky q either.
The speech is so clear now on programmes
Appreciate 1
KCH1984962.00
      12-28-2020, 03:19 PM   #40
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

There’s been a few minor glitches but on the whole it works great.

Though if you have the latest LG you should have EARC anyway and not need it......
Appreciate 1
KCH1984962.00
      12-28-2020, 05:19 PM   #41
KCH1984
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
I can highly recommend them. No lip sync issues with lg oled and sky q either.
The speech is so clear now on programmes
Did you take the plunge and go for the Sub and surrounds as well? I've already got two Ones I could use as rears, but I already negotiated this purchase with the wife by promising a reduction is speakers so I doubt she'd be impressed if she sees another sub shaped box in the living room again!
      12-29-2020, 03:53 AM   #42
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

I went the whole hog, the Arc, two One SL’s and the sub. I am very happy indeed with the sound having come from a separates system. I’ve never run the Arc without the sub so don’t know if it’s true what people say about a lack of bass.....
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 08:20 AM   #43
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

I got the Arc and 2 x SLs for the surrounds just before Christmas. I did not get the sub. Coming from a 3.1 system, I don't miss the sub. The Arc is very good.
      12-31-2020, 04:17 AM   #44
KCH1984
Major
Rep

Mine is due to arrive today, I've got 2 Sonos Ones in other rooms now so I can pair them up to see whether it's worth getting another set...the lack of sub is my main worry coming from a separates system with a 'proper' sub and not a bundled thing. The Sonos sub gets great reviews as well, sounds like one I'll have to work on the wife over