F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Private plates
proTUNING Freaks

09-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

Private plates

Hi all. A quick search didn't reveal much so thought best to create a thread to ask for advice on the neatest way (cheapest?!) to transfer my PP on my existing car to my new F30 which is due in the UK soon.

It's a part-ex deal so advice from the dealer was to place my PP on retention ahead of the delivery so they can register the new car with my PP when it arrives in the UK. In short, they didn't want my part-ex with my PP on it.

Is this the best advice?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: F31 330d X-Drive M-Sport

Put them onto retention - this is the only way really.

They'll issue new plates for the existing car and the dealer can register the new car with your private plate.

I would do it asap as it can take the DVLA 3-4 weeks to sort this out!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep
Drives: #mw

Yes, place on retention
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
zofinger
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AndyH- View Post
Put them onto retention - this is the only way really.

They'll issue new plates for the existing car and the dealer can register the new car with your private plate.

I would do it asap as it can take the DVLA 3-4 weeks to sort this out!
Quite. Shame the dealer didn't call me to notify the delivery date has moved from 1st week Nov to last week Sept. Form to be sent tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 01:01 AM   #5
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F90

BMW dealers are the only ones I've come across who seem incapable of transferring a cherished registration so you drive up in your part-ex with the plates on, remove them (for security) and collect your new car which is registrered on the cherished number from the outset.

Peugeot, Ford (twice) and Jaguar Land Rover (twice) seem to manage it without any trouble and none of this messing about with retention and the delays that involves.

It took 8 weeks with my E92 and 6 weeks with my F30 to sort out the transfers, which then cost the insurance admin fee (admittedly peanuts in the grand scheme, but annoying none the less) to change the policy each time as it was outside their 30 day window for change of registration number.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 01:07 AM   #6
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulT_335i View Post
BMW dealers are the only ones I've come across who seem incapable of transferring a cherished registration so you drive up in your part-ex with the plates on, remove them (for security) and collect your new car which is registrered on the cherished number from the outset.
This was only ever possible when you could do a plate transfer at the DVLA offices around the country. You could literally walk in and do the plate transfer then and there.

Now everything has to go through Cardiff so you need to prepare 3-4 weeks ahead of receiving your new car.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 01:11 AM   #7
matt_320d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 640d GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zofinger View Post
Quite. Shame the dealer didn't call me to notify the delivery date has moved from 1st week Nov to last week Sept. Form to be sent tomorrow.
Interesting. Most delivery dates are going the other way.

I assume you didn't order M sport brake, and so your cAr has moved to fill a delayed Msport slot?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 02:02 AM   #8
zofinger
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_320d View Post
Interesting. Most delivery dates are going the other way.

I assume you didn't order M sport brake, and so your cAr has moved to fill a delayed Msport slot?
You may recall I debated adding the MSport pack (which I know 9/10 of us would) for just an extra £300 so I would get the HK and M Sport brakes in addition to everything else I'd ordered separately. In the end I didn't go for it.

Having said that my build week had always been week 44 (end Oct) from the outset, with the dealer requesting end Sept so he could get it in his 3rd quarter financials. Whether it's the MSport brake shortage or the dealer request coming through, the build date is week 37 (this week).

V5 + retention form sent - might be too late to meet the delivery tho!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 02:37 AM   #9
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Having said that my build week had always been week 44 (end Oct) from the outset, with the dealer requesting end Sept so he could get it in his 3rd quarter financials. Whether it's the MSport brake shortage or the dealer request coming through, the build date is week 37 (this week).
I imagine that there is some slack at the factory caused by the brake shortage, which has enabled you to jump the queue.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 04:53 AM   #10
railbob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Next Stop F30 320i

Quote:
You may recall I debated adding the MSport pack (which I know 9/10 of us would) for just an extra £300 so I would get the HK and M Sport brakes in addition to everything else I'd ordered separately. In the end I didn't go for it.

V5 + retention form sent - might be too late to meet the delivery tho!
Zofinger, you might just get lucky, I put my plate onto retention for my new 320i (gets delivered on Monday) and I had a turnaround of just over a week. I was really surprised at how fast the DVLA were despite all the warnings. Best of luck.
Railbob
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #11
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AndyH- View Post
This was only ever possible when you could do a plate transfer at the DVLA offices around the country. You could literally walk in and do the plate transfer then and there.

Now everything has to go through Cardiff so you need to prepare 3-4 weeks ahead of receiving your new car.
How did Land Rover manage to do it last November then as all their local offices were gone by then?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 01:50 PM   #12
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Some offices were still open into December last year.

Other than going into an office, there were no shortcuts and you had to send the paperwork to Swansea.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 12:59 AM   #13
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep

Okay, our "local" office closed in December which may explain it.

But, even 6 years ago when BMW couldn't manage the transfer to my new car on it's day of registration I had to wait for my v5 to come, then I took my retention certificate and new v5 to the local office and they had to send it off to Swansea anyway as they couldn't process it locally.

It will be interesting to see whether Ford manage to do the transfer on registration day in about a months time for my wife's car as they have said they will.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 01:58 AM   #14
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

They can only do the transfer on the day if the plate is already on retention.

Dealers hate the new system because of the delays in transferring personalised plates - I have no idea why there is just not an electronic system.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #15
BGB
President of ELMOC
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 330D xdrive Touring Luxury

I left the dealer to do it. They did everything for £100. think its £85 for the change and i presume they pocked the rest. They also nearly pocketed my Tax refund on the trade in car. took about 3 weeks for mine.

Wife is in the middle of changing hers and she is doing it now and expects it done in 3-4 weeks.

There is a "leeway" of about 14 days after the date of the DVLA change where you have to change your plates and insurance. thats mostly because Royal Mail's second class service can take that long to deliver you the notification.

2015 F31 330D Xdrive Touring Luxury.
1977 Leyland Clubman 998
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #16
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep

Going by past media reported experience of government IT systems, we're probably better off it's not electronic actually!
Appreciate 0