F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > M Sport-Carbon Fiber M Perform. Rear Diffuser Install
GetBMWParts

05-09-2016, 10:28 PM   #1
MperformErik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Msport

M Sport-Carbon Fiber M Perform. Rear Diffuser Install

I have seen some talk of this and since I just went though the install and some of the issues that come with it I wanted to share my Experience and some photos. I did not do much research before hand just went in for the kill one Saturday morning but here is my take on it:

First, the Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser with the "Fins" is not OEM and as such, fitment can be a problem as with other non-OEM pieces. This is the piece I bought but not the source (figured this URL will stay active far longer than an Ebay link) http://www.**********s.com/carbon-fi...r-diffuser.htm

Second, removing the OEM diffuser is super easy. Remove the 3 center11mm screws and 4 edge 8mm screws under the diffuser going into the bumper. Then just tug on an edge with moderate force and you should get it to detach. The Diffuser is held in place by a series of small, plastic inserts and snaps in place--That's it. Upon removal, you will have a dozen or so small slots exposed under the bumper-this is where the new "Clips/Hangers" will go in.

Dry fit the new Diffuser...with mine, it was clear that the curvature was slightly off so I new some elbow grease and bolting down was needed and it surely was. Another prime non OEM headache is the pre-drilled holes not lining up...but we can make it work.

The clips are all bendable and came bent all the way down. Pull them out so they are pointing straight out and can fit into the slots along the bumper. The edges are simple but in the center I did have to trim the clips as they were much too long and would hit something preventing a flush fitment. Strating from the left, put the clips into the slots and fit the diffuser flush to the bumper, reach under and grab the clip which is bendable metal and pull it down as tight as you can to "hang" it on the bumper. Once done, sink in a 88mm screw to hold her in place.

Repeat this method by work across to the other edge--Left side, center, right.

After some tinkering of getting those hangers to be as tight as possible to the bumper and getting the fitment right across the bumper, you can then start fastening the other screws along the diffuser. It's best to not sink all the screws, just those that hold it in place where need be, since some force was needed on the right side to line the holes up and you'll want some movement.

After the install, I did have a slight gap on the right side. I did remove the right side screws and was able to get the hanger on that side a bit tighter and that solved it. I was never able to sink the center 11mm screw as the holes were about a 1/4 inch off and it's not really needed.

Well worth the money and gets a ton of compliments from car guys and B<W owners wonder what model you purchased--such a difference from stock.

Here are some pics and I hope this helps. Not a tough job but patience is needed and pray you don't get a diffuser that is a bad fit or you work 3x times as hard.

Happy Modding.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-09-2016, 10:37 PM   #2
Trevster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428xi

Sweet man, thanks for sharing. I got the m sport bumper on order now
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 11:49 PM   #3
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

It looks very good, better than the m perf one!
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2016, 08:51 AM   #4
the_man_in_blue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: It's blue.

nice. On their website I can't figure out which one would be the single cut out for a 328i. They are down the street from me and I've been there once, so I should go back and ask. It's them or R WCarbon who is also local.

Any pics of the clips that you mentioned?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 09:56 AM   #5
MperformErik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man_in_blue View Post
nice. On their website I can't figure out which one would be the single cut out for a 328i. They are down the street from me and I've been there once, so I should go back and ask. It's them or R WCarbon who is also local.

Any pics of the clips that you mentioned?
I'll see if I can find a pic of the clip one online. Unfortunately I was running low on daylight when I installed it the first time and didnt snap any pics. When I re-tightened the right side about a week after (couldnt deal with the gap) I thought to myself, you know what, I should post this experience. Then I snapped like 2 pics of what was left.

There is definitely a single cut for the 328i. Not sure about Mod Bargains but I know for certain they are all over ebay. Something to be mindful though, these things are coming from Taiwan (EBay) even if they claim its from the US. My seller said CA and box had a Taiwan Address and took like 14 days to ship plus support is basically non-existent.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 09:58 AM   #6
MperformErik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
It looks very good, better than the m perf one!
Thanks! I get asked about it all the time. BMW guys are the first to jaw drop and ask where to get one. Much more sporty and aggressive-befitting of the 335 IMO
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #7
MperformErik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevster View Post
Nice! Front and Rear or? I also installed the Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler and have the Carbon Fiber Front Lip (3D Style it says) but that did not come pre-drilled and with no instructions or hardware so a bit more of a project.

Better believe I'll post that install.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 10:29 AM   #8
Trevster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MperformErik
Quote:
Nice! Front and Rear or? I also installed the Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler and have the Carbon Fiber Front Lip (3D Style it says) but that did not come pre-drilled and with no instructions or hardware so a bit more of a project.

Better believe I'll post that install.
Getting the rear, so I can get a quad exhaust setup, with diffuser. I hate the single sided exhaust on my 428. Finding a diffuser that will fit properly without major modification is my next challenge. 3D design makes a nice one bit the price is out of my reach
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #9
MperformErik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Getting the rear, so I can get a quad exhaust setup, with diffuser. I hate the single sided exhaust on my 428. Finding a diffuser that will fit properly without major modification is my next challenge. 3D design makes a nice one bit the price is out of my reach
Yeah the mods add up. I have the 3 pieces in carbon fiber (Lip, Diffuser, Spoiler) and have moved onto performance. Just put in a Dinan Cold Air Intake past weekend and hoping to find an MPPK on the forums. That will be all for a few months hah!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 12:50 PM   #10
Trevster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MperformErik
Quote:
Yeah the mods add up. I have the 3 pieces in carbon fiber (Lip, Diffuser, Spoiler) and have moved onto performance. Just put in a Dinan Cold Air Intake past weekend and hoping to find an MPPK on the forums. That will be all for a few months hah!
How do you like the intake? That one is kinda pricey
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #11
MperformErik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How do you like the intake? That one is kinda pricey
Yeah it is pricey but most of the higher quality ones are north of $500. You can certainly get some for less and get similar gains but it's based on what you are looking for. For me, I want to implement some other Dinan parts and love that its a carbon fiber tube and uses the existing air box bottom where some have it removed entirely...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #12
rizocreations
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive M-Sport

looks very nice man. my car pretty much is the same as yours. you got any pics of the front? I want to add the lip/spoiler/diffuser as well but dont know if i want carbon fiber. i also want to change the tips to quad. the singles just make it feel like its missing something.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 01:38 PM   #13
MperformErik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizocreations View Post
looks very nice man. my car pretty much is the same as yours. you got any pics of the front? I want to add the lip/spoiler/diffuser as well but dont know if i want carbon fiber. i also want to change the tips to quad. the singles just make it feel like its missing something.
I still have not installed the front lip but i really want to. It came without any instructions or hardware and is also not pre-drilled. Might just have a shop do it instead.

I think quad tips looks more aggressive but I like to have some things belong to the M3 and others to the 335 IMO.
      06-15-2016, 11:03 PM   #14
HitmanHearns
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' Infiniti Q50 / 16' Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MperformErik View Post
I'll see if I can find a pic of the clip one online. Unfortunately I was running low on daylight when I installed it the first time and didnt snap any pics. When I re-tightened the right side about a week after (couldnt deal with the gap) I thought to myself, you know what, I should post this experience. Then I snapped like 2 pics of what was left.

There is definitely a single cut for the 328i. Not sure about Mod Bargains but I know for certain they are all over ebay. Something to be mindful though, these things are coming from Taiwan (EBay) even if they claim its from the US. My seller said CA and box had a Taiwan Address and took like 14 days to ship plus support is basically non-existent.
Looks fantastic. Does your car have the trunk kick release? If so, did the CF diffuser end up disabling it (or cause it to function incorrectly)?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 10:34 AM   #15
MperformErik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanHearns View Post
Looks fantastic. Does your car have the trunk kick release? If so, did the CF diffuser end up disabling it (or cause it to function incorrectly)?
I do not have that feature so I cannot say. What I can say is, this diffuser fit the exact lines of the OEM so I would be confident that you would be fine.
      06-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #16
Vinboyblue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

I'm looking to tackle this project this weekend. This was great info, right off the bat i noticed the tabs were all bent downwards, i'm scared that straightening it could break the tabs
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #17
MperformErik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinboyblue View Post
I'm looking to tackle this project this weekend. This was great info, right off the bat i noticed the tabs were all bent downwards, i'm scared that straightening it could break the tabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinboyblue View Post
You'll be fine, they're resilient enough to be bent down and then back up as you insert the, into the slots. Good luck!
      06-15-2018, 05:08 PM   #18
X2 Monstah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X2 XDrive 28i M Sport

Don't mean to hijack, but that's one shiny car! What do you use? I coated mine with CQuartz and topped it with GLISS. Looks good, but your's looks great!
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #19
MperformErik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM F30 View Post
Don't mean to hijack, but that's one shiny car! What do you use? I coated mine with CQuartz and topped it with GLISS. Looks good, but your's looks great!
HAHA! Thanks man! Yeah she shines like a black mirror after a wax. I don't do it myself, I go to a local place in VA, Flagship Car Wash.

Next time I go, I'll ask because now I myself am curious!
      06-27-2018, 12:03 AM   #20
cosmicdebris48059
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue 2014 335i M Sport

That looks SO Good! I bought the AK style off eBay this spring and it was bowed so bad it couldn't be installed. The vendor argued with me that the bumper needed to be removed to install it correctly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 01:01 PM   #21
MperformErik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicdebris48059 View Post
That looks SO Good! I bought the AK style off eBay this spring and it was bowed so bad it couldn't be installed. The vendor argued with me that the bumper needed to be removed to install it correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicdebris48059 View Post
Thanks!

Mine was a little bowed as well, I tightened it down quite well and had to loosen and re-tighten several areas to get it right. Don't be discouraged though it makes all the difference
      06-27-2018, 01:21 PM   #22
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MperformErik View Post
First, the Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser with the "Fins" is not OEM and as such, fitment can be a problem as with other non-OEM pieces. This is the piece I bought but not the source (figured this URL will stay active far longer than an Ebay link) http://www.**********s.com/carbon-fi...r-diffuser.htm
A swing and a miss....
Appreciate 0