F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > We Sample the BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe (Review)
Extreme Powerhouse

05-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #67
Raikkonen
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

I don't think the visual comparisons are accurate at all, as the dimensions vary substantially from coupe to sedan to GC.

I USED to think the 4 GC was GORGEOUS until I saw it in person; it has a very short, mildly "frumpy" look to it in the flesh...

The 4 GC looks beautiful in pictures, as it photographs VERY well.

In person, the coupe and sedan look much more sleek and accomplished from an overall design perspective...aka: much more pleasing to the eye than the 4 GC

My $.02...reserve judgement until you see it in person!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #68
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Based in looks alone: F32 > F30 > F36. I don't know how you guys think the trunk of the F36 looks good. It looks like they ran out of room for the trunk and made it several inches shorter than it should be. This is why I love the 6GC and was hoping for a baby 6GC, but the rear of this 4GC looks terrible.
I haven't seen the 4GC in the flesh, but I have yet to regret this.

That's beautiful!
      05-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #69
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Good read

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #70
F80_M
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1/1 PSM F80, F36, G11

Looks appealing but then it doesn't. Probably something I'd have to see in person.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #71
Manbnda
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 AW

Am I the only one who thinks this car is more women oriented?
It seems to me like a metrosexual version of the 3 series
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #72
Nero7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i

I drove the 4 series GC today and all I can say it was amaaaaaazing . I bought the 328i M-Sport in 2012 and I love my car except the trunk, thats the worst part on my car. The trunk in GC is much better because it opens in a better way then the sedan version so you can put in larger stuff.

I also noticed that the exhaust sound had a much more sportier sound and I heard the turbo much more often, I dont know if they have changed the turbo or the exhaustsystem but the exhaust sound was much better in GC. The performance was the same as the sedan version and the car is realy beautiful in person . I recommend you guys to try it out, its a very good car .

/// M-Sport 328i // Packages -- Adaptive Drive-- Drive Comfort -- Function -- Visibility // 19" 403M // M-Sport Brakes // Harman Kardon // Head Up Display ///
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #73
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
If the 5 GT looked like this I'd buy one tomorrow. As it is, the boggo 3/4 interior turns me off enough not to buy one.

Looks sharp though
+1 Although I saw a white msport LCI GT that looked good. the interior is a real downer. just look at the new C class. blows this one away. outside looks ok (i think the 3er actually looks better) but the audi A5 for me still looks better and you know the new one coming will have a much better interior too. That for me coupled with the most likely boring and dull steering feel and now "classic" neutered bmw dynamics of these days (current 5ser, new X models, Z4 etc) makes this car a no no for me. And I was considering this one for my daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 10:06 PM   #74
GFK007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

I prefer the f30 in terms of styling, pricing and functionality.

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 01:24 AM   #75
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
I can see how the 4GC looks sportier compared to 3er.
However with extra 60kg/140lbs heavier compared to the sedan, BMW is missing something here.
It all comes down to looks and impressions these days.
In reality running on same tires and equipped with same packages GC will be a bit slower in acceleration.
That brings us to having a sedan faster than the more expensive coupe. I know that 0-60 times are not everything, but this is just ain't right.
The 4GC is faster than the 3er?
428i: 5.7s (0.2s faster)
435i: 4.9s (0.5s faster)
Don't forget that the 4GC also has a wider track and lower CoG than the 3er.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFK007 View Post
What functional advantages does the F30 have over the F36?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 03:22 AM   #76
Tommy_hf
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F36 CQ M, Z4 E85 3.0iS MSL SC

More headroom, ability to seat 5 occupants, the centre seat in the GC is useless unless you like to ride a bicycle. i've never had trouble loading things in the sedan trunk. Trunk space of the F30 is even better than my E39, it swallows my golf bags with easy as it's a wide trunk which the E39 just couldn't do. The specs of the GC in terms of accelleration is actually 0.1 sec slower than the equivalent F30. A non issue really. If only it had the frameless doors with F30 rear dood shape connecting to the Hoffmeister kink, F30 esque boot and the F32 front end, it would have been absolutely great :-)
That said, I'd consider the car just to get something different after the F30, just a bit of a pity the rear end has a hunchback instead of the really low cut COUPE roofline.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 03:31 AM   #77
jasemsport
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E46 touring M-sport

That lovely product manager again

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 06:47 AM   #78
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by chylld
Quote:
I can see how the 4GC looks sportier compared to 3er.
However with extra 60kg/140lbs heavier compared to the sedan, BMW is missing something here.
It all comes down to looks and impressions these days.
In reality running on same tires and equipped with same packages GC will be a bit slower in acceleration.
That brings us to having a sedan faster than the more expensive coupe. I know that 0-60 times are not everything, but this is just ain't right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFK007 View Post
Not sure I understand. Do they have different engines with different output in the GC?
If not, then more weight equals slower car. Physics.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #79
owerr
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i, audi a4

Quote:
Not sure I understand. Do they have different engines with different output in the GC?
I'm confused too. it seems like the 4gc should be the slowest of the 3 cars, but according to the specs from BMW, 435gc 0-60 is 4.9, faster than both the 335 and 435 coupe.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #80
jazza
Captain
Rep
Drives: F32 428i

Wow, this is my country, the Basque Country!!!

Orduña (BIZKAIA)

Eltziego (ARABA)

Bermeo (BIZKAIA)

05-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #81
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chylld View Post

Quote:
It seems marketing trumps physics in this case.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #82
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

For those not understanding the need for a 4-door coupe and too many BMW variant models, etc., it seems Mercedes would also disagree. Seems they're planning a 4-door coupe variant of the C Class.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #83
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by chylld View Post

Quote:
It seems marketing trumps physics in this case.
Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 04:17 AM   #84
435iGC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
I don't believe this argument holds water for a couple of reasons. First, the 3-series Gran Turismo already exists for those that want versatility from the F3x platform. Second, to your point about too much similarity with the 4-series coupe: this is precisely the relationship that exists between the 6-series coupe and the 6-series Gran Coupe, and nobody bats an eye about it.

And heavier (top-heavier, no less) as well.

That's an awfully narrow niche. I represent the market segment that loves the look of the coupe (check), and the sporting characteristics of the coupe (check), but needs the versatility that a sedan offers (check), with no requirement whatsoever of the added weight and bloated lines that the hatch brings.

BMW had a great relationship between the 6 coupe and the 6GC. Additionally, the Gran Turismo models exist for those that needed the extra cargo room that a hatch provides but didn't want to drive an SUV. The 3GT wasn't sporty enough? Fine, name this car the 4-series Gran Turismo that it is, and leave the 4-series Gran Coupe unmolested by that hatch. Why they felt the need to combine both segments into one is beyond me.

It's because contrary to what their marketing department would have you believe, BMW as a business is extremely reactionary and risk averse. And rather than lead into a segment, they simply wanted a piece of the A5 Sportback pie, even if it came at the expense of their own product segmentation and naming strategies.
I've been waiting for this car since I first saw the 6GC. I think we should've foreseen this coming years ago when BMW came out with the 6GC after the 5GT. They're just proceeding with the same strategy in a different segment. I don't think people criticize the 5GT and 6GC nearly as much as they do to the 3GT and 4GC. Most people here drive a 3 or 4 of course no one cares about the 5 and 6.

I almost bought a 3GT a year ago for its practicality but was skeptical about its looks. How many 3GTs have you seen on the road? Personally I have only seen it twice in LA since it came out last year. I bet most people who ever thought about buying a 3GT and didn't end up buying one sure will seriously consider a 4GC. Just wait and see, there will be many 4GCs on the road within a few months.
      05-25-2014, 06:57 AM   #85
Velho
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 420dM GC

Order and waiting for deliver

Greetings,
I've already order my 420d GC with 184 hps + 16hps of the performance kit.
M pack and all technology packs.
Possible delivering date: June 25
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #86
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma
For those not understanding the need for a 4-door coupe and too many BMW variant models, etc., it seems Mercedes would also disagree. Seems they're planning a 4-door coupe variant of the C Class.
But it don't have a hatch, though!
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #87
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435iGC
Quote:
I don't believe this argument holds water for a couple of reasons. First, the 3-series Gran Turismo already exists for those that want versatility from the F3x platform. Second, to your point about too much similarity with the 4-series coupe: this is precisely the relationship that exists between the 6-series coupe and the 6-series Gran Coupe, and nobody bats an eye about it.

And heavier (top-heavier, no less) as well.

That's an awfully narrow niche. I represent the market segment that loves the look of the coupe (check), and the sporting characteristics of the coupe (check), but needs the versatility that a sedan offers (check), with no requirement whatsoever of the added weight and bloated lines that the hatch brings.

BMW had a great relationship between the 6 coupe and the 6GC. Additionally, the Gran Turismo models exist for those that needed the extra cargo room that a hatch provides but didn't want to drive an SUV. The 3GT wasn't sporty enough? Fine, name this car the 4-series Gran Turismo that it is, and leave the 4-series Gran Coupe unmolested by that hatch. Why they felt the need to combine both segments into one is beyond me.

It's because contrary to what their marketing department would have you believe, BMW as a business is extremely reactionary and risk averse. And rather than lead into a segment, they simply wanted a piece of the A5 Sportback pie, even if it came at the expense of their own product segmentation and naming strategies.
I've been waiting for this car since I first saw the 6GC. I think we should've foreseen this coming years ago when BMW came out with the 6GC after the 5GT. They're just proceeding with the same strategy in a different segment. I don't think people criticize the 5GT and 6GC nearly as much as they do to the 3GT and 4GC. Most people here drive a 3 or 4 of course no one cares about the 5 and 6.

I almost bought a 3GT a year ago for its practicality but was skeptical about its looks. How many 3GTs have you seen on the road? Personally I have only seen it twice in LA since it came out last year. I bet most people who ever thought about buying a 3GT and didn't end up buying one sure will seriously consider a 4GC. Just wait and see, there will be many 4GCs on the road within a few months.
You missed my point. Like you, I've been waiting for a 4GC (specifically, an M4 GC) since the 6GC came out. That would represent everything I want in a car: the practicality of a 4-door, the styling of a coupe, and the performance of an M in a smaller package than the M6 GC.

Why they had to break from convention and give this thing a hatch (which adds weight and ruins its otherwise gorgeous lines) is beyond me.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #88
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
Quote:
Why they had to break from convention and give this thing a hatch (which adds weight and ruins its otherwise gorgeous lines) is beyond me.
How dare BMW upset a few people on internet forums and expand their range to satisfy people actually shopping for that type of car!!!
Appreciate 0