F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Custom Order via ED??
proTUNING Freaks

01-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport EBII 6MT

Custom Order via ED??

Hey guys, I'm new to BP and just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Gary from NYC. I've owned a B7 A4 quattro for the last 2 years but sold it about 5 months ago. I am now looking to get into an F30 through European Delivery around July.

Now with that out of the way...I have a question that may or may not have been discussed and I'm hoping I don't get flamed for this but here it goes...

I know the 328xi is offered in MT in probably all other countries other than the US. I've read many threads about ED and what a great "once in a lifetime" experience it would be; not to mention my friend's bachelor party is going to be held in Berlin (2 birds 1 stone kinda deal) so I'm most likely going to pull the trigger on ED. My question is...since I plan on doing ED, do you think the dealer, BMW, or whoever else responsible for making this decision would allow me to place a custom order for a 328xi in MT even though it'll be driven in the US? I figured since it's being built from scratch and this isn't some outrageous request like put wings on my car and let me take it to space! it wouldn't be asking for too much right? Has anyone had experiences with ED and requesting features/packages that were not actively offered in the country where the car would ultimately be driven?

Many are probably going to ask, "why not just get the 335xi and be done with it?" or "why not get the 328i?" The answer is, I'm in the market for a new car and the F30 is very appealing to me and it MUST be a MT. I personally feel the 2.0 Turbo is more than enough power for me, not to mention it comes with a smaller price tag. With the residual left from opting for the 328 instead of the 335 I plan on buying a used motorcycle for the upcoming season. The reason I need xDrive is because I intend on taking the car up north for snowboarding throughout the winter seasons and the roads out there can get pretty slick, especially with RWD.

Anyway that's my question. Any feedback, opinions etc. that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Welcome Gary

Unfortunately, the only cars that can be ordered/picked up via ED are the standard US cars, i.e. the ones you can build on the US website. There is occasionally the option available to order a custom exterior paint or interior trim color (called BMW Individual), but so far not on the new 3-series. But no different option or transmission configuration from what you would normally be able to buy at a dealer.

Definitely do ED, I did and it is a lifetime experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamouz627 View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to BP and just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Gary from NYC. I've owned a B7 A4 quattro for the last 2 years but sold it about 5 months ago. I am now looking to get into an F30 through European Delivery around July.

Now with that out of the way...I have a question that may or may not have been discussed and I'm hoping I don't get flamed for this but here it goes...

I know the 328xi is offered in MT in probably all other countries other than the US. I've read many threads about ED and what a great "once in a lifetime" experience it would be; not to mention my friend's bachelor party is going to be held in Berlin (2 birds 1 stone kinda deal) so I'm most likely going to pull the trigger on ED. My question is...since I plan on doing ED, do you think the dealer, BMW, or whoever else responsible for making this decision would allow me to place a custom order for a 328xi in MT even though it'll be driven in the US? I figured since it's being built from scratch and this isn't some outrageous request like put wings on my car and let me take it to space! it wouldn't be asking for too much right? Has anyone had experiences with ED and requesting features/packages that were not actively offered in the country where the car would ultimately be driven?

Many are probably going to ask, "why not just get the 335xi and be done with it?" or "why not get the 328i?" The answer is, I'm in the market for a new car and the F30 is very appealing to me and it MUST be a MT. I personally feel the 2.0 Turbo is more than enough power for me, not to mention it comes with a smaller price tag. With the residual left from opting for the 328 instead of the 335 I plan on buying a used motorcycle for the upcoming season. The reason I need xDrive is because I intend on taking the car up north for snowboarding throughout the winter seasons and the roads out there can get pretty slick, especially with RWD.

Anyway that's my question. Any feedback, opinions etc. that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
How far north do you go for skiing? If you're talking Vermont, then a 328i with winter tires will be more than enough. If you read through some of the threads on here, a lot of people have had fantastic experiences with their 328i RWD in snow with a good winter tire setup. Just pop the car in comfort or eco-pro, and you're all set.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Great info guys, thanks! It's unfortunate that BMW doesn't offer the 328xi in MT; perhaps they need to rethink their selling point?

I travel to VT for sb a lot and sometimes I like to go even further out to ME. I guess it's really nothing too crazy but I'd much rather take the risk out of driving in slippery conditions in a RWD. Worst case, scenario as many suggested, I'll throw some weights in the rear.

btw SamS and Tsuyoi, how are you guys liking your rides so far? Any features/options/packages that are a must have in your opinions? I was gonna go with the 328xi m-sport with leatherette, heated seats, xenons, parking distance control/rear camera and moonroof. Now i'll probably have to opt for the 328i instead.

Last edited by Infamouz627; 01-23-2013 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 12:10 AM   #5
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Great info guys, thanks! It's unfortunate that BMW doesn't offer the 328xi in MT; perhaps they need to rethink their selling point?

I travel to VT for sb a lot and sometimes I like to go even further out to ME. I guess it's really nothing too crazy but I'd much rather take the risk out of driving in slippery conditions in a RWD. Worst case, scenario as many suggested, I'll throw some weights in the rear.

btw SamS and Tsuyoi, how are you guys liking your rides so far? Any features/options/packages that are a must have in your opinions? I was gonna go with the 328xi m-sport with leatherette, heated seats, xenons, parking distance control/rear camera and moonroof. Now i'll probably have to opt for the 328i instead.
For me tech package and driver's assist is an absolute must. The Nav with HUD is such a lifesaver when going anywhere off your normal route, and traffic avoidance has saved me over an hour so far. LOVE LOVE LOVE the HUD, I never have to look away from the road for anything, from phone calls to changing songs to nav directions.

If you plan on getting the PDC and camera already, it's not much more to get driver's assist. The side cameras and guide lines help a ton in parallel parking, and blind spot direction makes lane changes so much safer.

Def get the lighting package, those DRL angel eyes really make a bimmer a bimmer. Saw a few cars without them, and I just wanted to cry for them.

Heated seats is a pass for me. If it's cold enough to need them, I'm so bundled up my ass doesn't feel the cold seat anyway.

Between leather and leatherette, personally I sprang the 1450 for leather (didn't get premium pack), love the smell and feel of it. However I did test drive a leatherette car, and it's just as comfortable. I just like real leather.

Handling wise, if you really want performance similar to the older E90s, get the dynamic handling package for the suspension.

Other than that, LOVE the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
For me tech package and driver's assist is an absolute must. The Nav with HUD is such a lifesaver when going anywhere off your normal route, and traffic avoidance has saved me over an hour so far. LOVE LOVE LOVE the HUD, I never have to look away from the road for anything, from phone calls to changing songs to nav directions.

If you plan on getting the PDC and camera already, it's not much more to get driver's assist. The side cameras and guide lines help a ton in parallel parking, and blind spot direction makes lane changes so much safer.

Def get the lighting package, those DRL angel eyes really make a bimmer a bimmer. Saw a few cars without them, and I just wanted to cry for them.

Heated seats is a pass for me. If it's cold enough to need them, I'm so bundled up my ass doesn't feel the cold seat anyway.

Between leather and leatherette, personally I sprang the 1450 for leather (didn't get premium pack), love the smell and feel of it. However I did test drive a leatherette car, and it's just as comfortable. I just like real leather.

Handling wise, if you really want performance similar to the older E90s, get the dynamic handling package for the suspension.

Other than that, LOVE the car.
Nice, I will definitely take those into consideration. I can't justify forking out an additional 2k for the Nav since I can get the same functionality via my mobile phone (I'm sure there's a huge difference between the 2 but it's my opinion lol). Other than that, I like the sound of everything else.

I had mixed feelings about the leatherette at first but after reading reviews between leather and leatherette I felt it was more economical and the difference between the 2 was nominal. You're right about heated seats, my last car didn't come with heated seats and it never bothered me, what's probably more important is having auto start so I can get the heat running on 15° F days like today.

I had to go with the lighting package cuz like you said, a bimmer just wouldnt be a bimmer without the Halos.

Btw, I noticed you're from NY also...where in NY? Would you happen to know of any reputable dealers/agents in our immediate area who I may be able to bargain with?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nice, I will definitely take those into consideration. I can't justify forking out an additional 2k for the Nav since I can get the same functionality via my mobile phone (I'm sure there's a huge difference between the 2 but it's my opinion lol). Other than that, I like the sound of everything else.

I had mixed feelings about the leatherette at first but after reading reviews between leather and leatherette I felt it was more economical and the difference between the 2 was nominal. You're right about heated seats, my last car didn't come with heated seats and it never bothered me, what's probably more important is having auto start so I can get the heat running on 15° F days like today.

I had to go with the lighting package cuz like you said, a bimmer just wouldnt be a bimmer without the Halos.

Btw, I noticed you're from NY also...where in NY? Would you happen to know of any reputable dealers/agents in our immediate area who I may be able to bargain with?
Yeah the nav by itself is pretty pricey, but since you can't get the HUD as a stand alone, I was willing to get the entire tech pack for both the HUD and extended display, and nav's nice to have so I don't have to constantly fiddle with chargers and mounts, and worry about phonecalls in the middle of the trip.

I'm actually also in NYC, but I used BMW Manhattan cause my bank offered a very nice incentive for financing through them at that dealership. If you want lower prices and more personal service and attention, I'd suggest maybe heading out to Jersey. I took a look at some CPO 5 series at BMW of Bloomfield, they were pretty helpful and willing to negotiate on pricing.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
Yeah the nav by itself is pretty pricey, but since you can't get the HUD as a stand alone, I was willing to get the entire tech pack for both the HUD and extended display, and nav's nice to have so I don't have to constantly fiddle with chargers and mounts, and worry about phonecalls in the middle of the trip.

I'm actually also in NYC, but I used BMW Manhattan cause my bank offered a very nice incentive for financing through them at that dealership. If you want lower prices and more personal service and attention, I'd suggest maybe heading out to Jersey. I took a look at some CPO 5 series at BMW of Bloomfield, they were pretty helpful and willing to negotiate on pricing.
Awesome, thanks for all your help dude! Maybe we can g2g when the weather gets a bit nicer...considering plans of picking up the F30 don't fall through =X
Appreciate 0