F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Had my 340i xdrive one month
GetBMWParts

05-28-2017, 08:06 PM   #1
JDMAF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i 6MT xdrive, 2015 STi

Had my 340i xdrive one month

Thought I'd write a review of my new car. Many things I love and some I don't. My car is a 6MT with Mperf package, track and MPPSK. Nav and heated seats. Dakota leather. In no particular order here are the things I love:

Note that my last two cars were modded Subaru STI's. Came to BMW wanting an M2. Couldn't get one so built what I hoped would be next best thing- and realized I needed AWD in my daily driver. That plus wanting 6MT narrowed things down (really wished I could have built a manual awd 2 series)

1. Refinement. The car is a pleasure to drive and there are times when I love just keeping it in comfort mode and listening to music and driving in a relaxed way. Compared to prior rides the interior is a place of quiet and well made comfort. I love the black Dakota and the anthracite fineline.

2. 6MT with MPerformance shift knob (and matching ebrake boot) The whole shifting experience is a pleasure. BMW still does this really well and it is never harsh with clutch engagement that is consistent and smooth. The B58 is beatifully matched to the tranny.

3. Engine. That B58 is so smooth. Maybe too smooth. I know it is similarly fast as my STi's but it doesn't feel it until you punch it above 4500 rpm. Then it kicks ass.

4. MPPSK. The exhaust alone is worth it. Pretty to look at -i have the carbon tips - and the burbles on over revving and engine braking are badass. Never drove a B58 without MPPSK so can't really tell how the tune compares. Power wise it feels about the same as my modded STi's. And they were fast. The BMW just doesn't hit you over the head with it. I actually miss some of the drama of the STi honestly. Still grappling with this. I wish there was one more setting beyond sport+ where the true beast was unleashed. Louder, more abrupt throttle response - and way better handling.

Not so great:
1. Handling/chassis Dynamics. There is no setting on my car that is "just right". The sport setting on chassis Dynamics is all wrong. Artificially stiff steering and bogus stiffness that just feels stiff and wooden when going fast. I wind up keeping it in comfort for steering and chassis Dynamics when I'm in sport because it feels more predictable to me. Nothing on this car comes close to the naturally communicative steering of my 2015 STi. This is where I think I would have liked the 2 series a whole lot more. Sadly no 6MT with awd.

2. No rearview camera. Probably my fault that I didn't research this more. I assumed that BMW wouldn't manufacture a car in 2017 without a rearview camera. I was wrong. Every other car I have had since 2012 has had one. I figured at $60k my fancy ultimate driving machine would have one. Nope. My fault for sure. But still kind of a surprise.

On the whole I really like my car and it will be a pleasant 3 year lease. But it's not quite the performer I was hoping for. I do think I could mod it a bit to get it closer. But it's a lease and I'm just not going down that road with this vehicle. I think I really want an AWD Mcar. Doesn't exist I know. Probably I'm becoming a Porsche customer. 911 C4/C4S. But far bigger bucks. Don't want another STi - just way too much noise and brutal at speeds under 40mph. So I'll enjoy this car for what it is. A very competent and refined all- rounder. And see what happens three years from now. Hope this helps others contemplating their next car.
Appreciate 4
scostu1621.00
Buzzo168.50
CJ4211516.00
kern4174445.00
      05-28-2017, 08:18 PM   #2
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

That newer engine is prolly one of the best.

As far as handling/chassis.....be thankful you did NOT get a pre-LCI model....ugh. The prior E90's prolly had the best overall suspension/steering feel. Check out Dinan for suspension upgrades.

....and yes....BMW will .05cents...10cents for options that come standard on Hondas and Toyotas.
      05-28-2017, 09:01 PM   #3
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Regarding #4 (..."I wish there was one more setting beyond sport+ where the true beast was unleashed.")...you do realize that Sport+ doesn't add any "beast" to Sport, it simply lowers the stability control threshold, and should never be driven on the street in this mode. It should be labeled "Track" mode.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 09:20 PM   #4
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

I definitely agree with #1.

I never considered a 4er but after a variety of 435/440i reviews + LCI handling updates - sounds like the 4er is the daily performance car that should be considered.

The 2er is great as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 09:20 PM   #5
JDMAF
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
Regarding #4 (..."I wish there was one more setting beyond sport+ where the true beast was unleashed.")...you do realize that Sport+ doesn't add any "beast" to Sport, it simply lowers the stability control threshold, and should never be driven on the street in this mode. It should be labeled "Track" mode.
Thanks - I do understand what sport + does. I have read just about every thread on it and looked at the chart describing each setting. I think you can drive it on the street safely in dry weather if you have a little bit if skill. I mean we all drove cars for years without any stability control. It can be done. And sport + doesn't turn it off completely. Just raises the thresholds
When the nannies kick in. But I can't see any reason to use it at all. Does nothing for performance, i will never track the car and see no reason to put myself at risk. I would prefer sprt + to be a heightened throttle response settjng - maybe even allowing for some overboost for 30 seconds and a more natural steering feel with less artificial boost, without altering the stability settings.
Appreciate 1
CalCarNut1060.50
      05-28-2017, 09:33 PM   #6
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Sounds like yer after an M3 but couldnt afford it
but an STI vs 340i tho? comeon..
Appreciate 1
MomoM3984.00
      05-28-2017, 09:34 PM   #7
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMAF View Post
Thanks - I do understand what sport + does. I have read just about every thread on it and looked at the chart describing each setting. I think you can drive it on the street safely in dry weather if you have a little bit if skill. I mean we all drove cars for years without any stability control. It can be done. And sport + doesn't turn it off completely. Just raises the thresholds
When the nannies kick in. But I can't see any reason to use it at all. Does nothing for performance, i will never track the car and see no reason to put myself at risk. I would prefer sprt + to be a heightened throttle response settjng - maybe even allowing for some overboost for 30 seconds and a more natural steering feel with less artificial boost, without altering the stability settings.
I totally agree that any mode called "Sport+" should really be about increased throttle response/heavier steering and/or overboost, and not simply an adjustment of stability control. That should be called "Track" mode.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 11:09 PM   #8
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Every BMW I've driven from the 340i, 528i, 330i all have quicker throttle response in sport +. Also quicker shifts at higher rpms yet folks are saying they feel no difference : even at the UDE every car I drove was like this. The reduced traction control won't help you if the car starts to rotate too much as you have to know how to drift somewhat otherwise you'll get in trouble.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 11:24 PM   #9
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

I think you're right that the 2 series, like the M240i xDrive, would've been a better car for you. The f30 chassis is good but let down by a soft and bouncy suspension. But you'd still have lack of feel in the 2 series, maybe a bit better than the 3 series.

As for the oomph, the 340i xDrive is more than 400lbs heavier than the sti based on manufacturer curb weights. Takes a lot to get that weight moving. And if I'm correct, the sti has shorter gear ratios than the 340i.

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug

Last edited by anotheran; 05-28-2017 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 11:27 PM   #10
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Every BMW I've driven from the 340i, 528i, 330i all have quicker throttle response in sport +. Also quicker shifts at higher rpms yet folks are saying they feel no difference : even at the UDE every car I drove was like this. The reduced traction control won't help you if the car starts to rotate too much as you have to know how to drift somewhat otherwise you'll get in trouble.
According to BMW, that's simply your imagination.

Appreciate 2
donkey464.00
Bbb34730.50
      05-29-2017, 12:22 AM   #11
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
According to BMW, that's simply your imagination.
I'm not the only one whose imagining things there are plenty of others on here I've met and folks I've met in person who say the same thing. You should ride on my car some time or next time at a UDE we'll meet up and see if there's a difference. Maybe I'll post a video or something though people will say I'm pressing on the throttle differently.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 02:26 AM   #12
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Re AWD M car, the next gen M3/4 will have AWD, as revealed in an interview with a BMW head honcho (don't recall who at the moment) a few weeks ago. He said AWD is the best way to get power down to the ground effectively as engine output increases close to 500 Hp.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 08:11 AM   #13
JDMAF
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor View Post
Re AWD M car, the next gen M3/4 will have AWD, as revealed in an interview with a BMW head honcho (don't recall who at the moment) a few weeks ago. He said AWD is the best way to get power down to the ground effectively as engine output increases close to 500 Hp.
Now we're talking! Hadn't seen that. Awd M car is really what I want. What I'd really like to see is AWD M car with a performance hybrid drivetrain - like the LA Ferrari/Porsche 918. Wonder if that's even on their radar
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 09:44 AM   #14
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Duh. Can't fool those BMW engineeers.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 10:07 AM   #15
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Maybe the G20 M340 will fix the suspension issues?

I think that might be the sweet spot for me. Or if I buy a used 340/440 next time, some sway bars might make a difference. Not something I want to do on a lease...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #16
insanecoder
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm not the only one whose imagining things there are plenty of others on here I've met and folks I've met in person who say the same thing. You should ride on my car some time or next time at a UDE we'll meet up and see if there's a difference. Maybe I'll post a video or something though people will say I'm pressing on the throttle differently.
Your not imagining things
Sports+ idles at ~2500 rpms there is no turbo lag there
Sports+ also obviously eats more gas tho
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 10:27 AM   #17
Eriphill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm thinking it will have a similar setup to the new M5 that was announced last week. In the settings you can choose between AWD or RWD.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 10:27 AM   #18
insanecoder
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoshark View Post
Maybe the G20 M340 will fix the suspension issues?

I think that might be the sweet spot for me. Or if I buy a used 340/440 next time, some sway bars might make a difference. Not something I want to do on a lease...
G20 will have a tighter suspension overall but I would presume most configurations will have the cushy ride remember soccer moms, your rear passengers, and older folks want that so BMW will give it
If you really want a tight suspension move to the M even the M240 seemed pretty tight..
I for one like the flexibility to shift the ride to cushy for passengers.. you give up alil stiffness for sure overall but its still better than the 335 was
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 11:47 AM   #19
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
Your not imagining things
Sports+ idles at ~2500 rpms there is no turbo lag there
Sports+ also obviously eats more gas tho
Please post a vid of your car idling at 2500 RPMs
Appreciate 1
CalCarNut1060.50
      05-29-2017, 01:00 PM   #20
insanecoder
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive View Post
Please post a vid of your car idling at 2500 RPMs
higher cruise rpm
u happy now?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 01:08 PM   #21
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
higher cruise rpm
u happy now?
Always happy

Cruise RPM will depend on the speed. I checked the 340i owners manual and it mentions that it holds the gear for autos in Sport +. So that instead of shifting to a higher gear (lowering the RPM) it holds the gear and keeps a slightly higher RPM which increases turbo response.

Manuals (like the OP has) won't have this effect obviously. If you have a manual and are going at 3000 RPM in second gear, moving from Sport to Sport + won't change the RPM (thus throttle response is unchanged). It is a big difference when doing the same test from Comfort to Sport.

Last edited by donkey; 05-29-2017 at 01:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
Bbb34730.50
      05-29-2017, 03:31 PM   #22
insanecoder
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive View Post
Always happy

Cruise RPM will depend on the speed. I checked the 340i owners manual and it mentions that it holds the gear for autos in Sport +. So that instead of shifting to a higher gear (lowering the RPM) it holds the gear and keeps a slightly higher RPM which increases turbo response.

Manuals (like the OP has) won't have this effect obviously. If you have a manual and are going at 3000 RPM in second gear, moving from Sport to Sport + won't change the RPM (thus throttle response is unchanged). It is a big difference when doing the same test from Comfort to Sport.
I dunno if its exactly 2500 rpm but cruising its around
eco 700 rpm
sport 1500 pm
sport+ 2000-2500 rpm
so yea turbo response is good in +
Appreciate 1