F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Future purchase - 320i GT
Studio RSR

04-16-2015, 02:04 AM   #1
Jed Flash
Rep
Drives: 320i GT Xdrive

Future purchase - 320i GT

Hi all,

Ive been through most of this forum looking for all your bits of advice as i am test driving a 3 GT this weekend with the plan to put down a deposit for a new one and have some questions (UK btw).

320i GT Xdrive - Msport with. ( list price £38k)
1. Advanced parking pack
2. electric seats with mem + lumbar
3. Prof media
4. extended storage
5. Coral red interior
6. Comfort Access

Does anyone know what sort of price i should be paying in the UK for this as i have seen discounts bringing the car down to around £32k?

Min grey vs glacial silver but haven't 100% made up my mind on this so any help would be great.

Reason i am going with this car is i am 6ft4 and my wife is 6ft and just want a car with space for baby seats in the back, it looks bloody great and also have great boot space too.

I really want xdrive and petrol as i don't do the miles needed to clear the Diesel filters which only leaves me with the 320i. What do people think of this engine?

I also hate Autos and love the action of changing gears so am going to go with the manual option. am i mad?

Does anyone know about the service schedule of the Petrol engines? ive read that there is not set time the car just 'decides' if so is the £460 5 years service pack worth paying?

Would anyone recommend the BMW paint, alloys and tyre protection packs or are they a waste of money?

What do people think about the options. I cant have them all but would have liked to pick the adaptive dampers, advanced speakers, pana roof but cant justify getting a 3 series up to £40k. what options did you not get but really wish you had?

Would love a few pics of these colour cars if you have them.

Thanks and sorry for so many questions

Jed
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 05:43 AM   #2
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Flash View Post
just want a car with space for baby seats in the back, it looks bloody great and also have great boot space too.
We just installed an extended rear facing seat from Britax, understanding they are safer they ARE bigger than regular seats, but not an issue for the GT.

Quote:
I also hate Autos and love the action of changing gears so am going to go with the manual option. am i mad?
I see what you mean but I would suggest you try their automatic box which is sooo smooth and responsive, my car has the flappy paddles too for when you want to do it yourself. If you read reviews you will find the great auto box they have now, for fuel economy, ratios, resale, etc.

Quote:
Does anyone know about the service schedule of the Petrol engines? ive read that there is not set time the car just 'decides' if so is the £460 5 years service pack worth paying?
I think the car decides, you will get a message each time you start the car. I have the service pack and I think is worth the price but I managed to have it included in the deal, see what you can get.

Quote:
BMW paint, alloys and tyre protection packs
Not sure what to say here, I didn't take any of the options - allows will scratch and you will get paint chips... I will deal with those maybe every few years #selfinsurance

Quote:
what options did you not get but really wish you had?
The ride was hard on my previous E87 MSport - when upgrading to the GT I chose the Sport trim which has the "look" but softer suspension, now have a family and need to consider comfort more than before. If you want the MSport and have a family, consider the adaptive dampers.

The Pano roof is great and we enjoyed the light even through the winter.
Xenon adaptive headlights an awesome bit of tech and work like magic! plus you get the cool day light running lights.
Pro satnav is a must!,
Heated seats - the leather did get cold in the winter, the wife likes the option!
I wish I took the rear view camera option.
Xdrive looks great but we dont have bad weather down here or drive the car hard enough to need it.

Last edited by x-m4n; 04-16-2015 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 06:03 AM   #3
Jed Flash
Rep

Cheers for your inpur X-M4n

I tired the baby seat in a 1 series and i couldn't even get in let alone put my seat back. Am taking the baby seat with me to test drive the car All i keep reading is that the leg room in 3GT is amazing.

My concern with manual was the future resale value. Ive only ever had autos that when you put your foot down you wait a few seconds and then they go or they just rev up and then feel like slipping the clutch. I will test an auto at the weekend so will give it a go. I feel maybe with a very young baby maybes a smooth auto is the way to go?

I will try and get as much thrown in as possible ie service pack, tyre, bodywork insurance etc

How long have you had your car ( i know diesel from your info) how many services have you had?

I do like a hard feel to suspension - drive a Type R currently and that feels like it doesn't even have springs. dont like a car that wallows. I did notice that you can delete the M sport suspension from the msport pack. Also people have suggested that being xdrive that makes the suspension softer too? again i am test driving an msport and will ask was suspension it has and try and rate how hard it is.

I really want the pano roof just for £1,200 seems very steep. I thinking having a bigger car like this in london the rear camera is a must.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 06:56 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Ive only ever had autos that when you put your foot down you wait a few seconds and then they go or they just rev up and then feel like slipping the clutch.
The auto is capable of shifting far quicker than you are. There is absolutely no slip or lag.
Get the sunroof. After driving with it and just the inner shade retracted it feels claustrophobic with the shade closed.
Forget the BMW pacs. Whatever you may really want is available elsewhere for a lot less money.
You'll find when parking that the rear camera is nice, but that the radar object detection is what you'll rely on the most. It works so well that I would not bother with the perimeter/top view cameras.
I find that the standard suspension is as stiff as I care for. I wouldn't want to sacrifice the smooth ride for anything stiffer. 25 year old Jimmy Clark wannabies will disagree.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 08:06 AM   #5
Jed Flash
Rep

Does anyone have a list of extras and what they add to the GFV of the car? i did manage to get hold of a list for the 1 series.

I will at least sit in one with and without the pano roof to see how it feels.

Billfitz have you for the adjustable dampers or just standard suspension?

The advanced parking pack comes with camera, front/back sensors and parking assist.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 08:24 AM   #6
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I will test an auto at the weekend so will give it a go. I feel maybe with a very young baby maybes a smooth auto is the way to go?
Don't worry about lags, the car goes fine but for the test do mind that the car starts in Comfort mode by default - when you find a clear bit of road, park for a sec and change to the sport modes to feel how the engine/gearbox behaviour change. Am I right saying we have 8 gears in the sport auto transmission?

Quote:
dont like a car that wallows. I did notice that you can delete the M sport suspension from the msport pack.
The best way really is to try it and see how you feel, I wouldn't say my car wallows - the Msport was too hard for the roads we have around the house. You are right, BMW does offer the delete suspension.

Have you seen what is available within the BMW Approved Used website? I did use the stock there to my advantage - the dealer knows you like the GT, but he needs to know you can go and get it from other dealer

A few bits I hope help you make sure you make the most of that test drive. I hope you can get a good deal out of the dealer.

Last edited by x-m4n; 04-16-2015 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 08:44 AM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Billfitz have you for the adjustable dampers or just standard suspension?
I went with the Base line, since I did not want 18s or low profile tires, as they don't ride as well and are far more prone to damage. The only options I got were Nav, rear camera/parking assist and heated seats. Keep in mind that the base line in the US and UK are different, for instance the sunroof and xdrive as standard equipment. Mine is also a 328, not 320. There is no 320GT here, which I assume is the base 180HP 4cyl. You can get the 180HP in the standard 3 series as a 320, but only the 240HP in the 328GT.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 11:26 AM   #8
Jed Flash
Rep

Good to know the wheels and tyres lend themselves to a harsher ride and maintenance too - i do like the look though of the msport car.

Yeah the only petrol xdrive GT is the 320 or i would be getting the more powerful engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 01:45 PM   #9
ELNch
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320iGt xdrive M-sport

I have a 320i Gt M-sport in glacier silver. Great Family car.
I was cross shopping the 5touring(F11) and the x3 against this.

This has far more Space for the rearfacing baby seat.

The engine has plenty of pull. and quite a bit more sporty than the 20d option. But thats a matter of taste and driving style.

You should also add headup+sign recognition which will also show up in the windscrean...I would never order a car without it again

I have the 19" staggered setup With 225 front and 255 in the back. No problem with Comfort even on rought asphalt, but some tire noise will make it into the cabin

Good Luck With purchasing the car
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #10
Jed Flash
Rep

any pics ELNch?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 04:06 PM   #11
Jed Flash
Rep

Would like the heads up display but at £800 if i had to choose it will be the pano roof.

Im glad to hear re the rear facing baby seat fits easily as thats one of my main aims. ive been looking at the X3 but not sure i want a "big" car. love the idea of space.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 04:52 PM   #12
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ive been looking at the X3 but not sure i want a "big" car. love the idea of space.
The GT has more rear legroom and cargo space than the X3. The X3 looks 'big', but the wheelbase is five inches shorter, and the overhang from the rear axle to the back bumper is 5 inches shorter as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 05:33 PM   #13
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

I'd take HUD over a glass roof any day. HUD is something I use everytime I drive. Sunroof i only use when I drive through Manhattan, which is rare.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 09:05 PM   #14
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I'd take HUD over a glass roof any day. HUD is something I use everytime I drive. Sunroof i only use when I drive through Manhattan, which is rare.
I use the venting position of my sunroof when I park in the sun, it keeps the car from heating up as much.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 09:07 PM   #15
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I use the venting position of my sunroof when I park in the sun, it keeps the car from heating up as much.
I just use the BMW Remote app to turn on the fans for ventilation.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 09:36 PM   #16
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I just use the BMW Remote app to turn on the fans for ventilation.
That's fine if you have an iphone, but I don't, and probably never will. I once had one given to me, I gave it back. I only use my phone for...making phone calls! Never sent a text in my life either. I won an Ipad, I gave it away. It's not that I'm technophobic. I own an internet business and spend upwards of eight hours a day, seven days a week on one of my three computers. The last thing I want to do when I'm not sitting at a keyboard and screen is to lug another keyboard and screen wherever I go.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 11:39 PM   #17
lmcq784
Excited F34 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F34 (328iX GT M-Sport)

Quote:
Would like the heads up display but at £800 if i had to choose it will be the pano roof.

Im glad to hear re the rear facing baby seat fits easily as thats one of my main aims. ive been looking at the X3 but not sure i want a "big" car. love the idea of space.
I LOVE the pano-roof!! I would get that before the HUD. No questions. But I do like the HUD too, just not as much as I enjoy the roof.

My wife has an X3, and I have the 328iX GT (Mineral Grey exterior, Coral Red interior, Dark Walnut Burl trim), and there is no contest. The GT has MUCH more room for a baby carseat. We have a Chicco Nexfit, and with almost identical front seat positions, there's just a LOT more room in the GT for the carseat.

The carseat fit in the X3, but my wife had to move her seat up slightly from her optimal position to fit, and the baby seat is just barely not touching the front seat. In the GT, there was several inches of room to spare. My wife in the passenger seat can have her seat however she wants, and still a few inches before the baby seat touches the back of her seat.

I will say, though, it's nicer in the X3 because you don't have to bend down as much to access the baby. We are both about 5'10", and in the X3, we stand straight, and everything is comfortable in getting the baby. No need to hunch and reach down into the seat. Height of access for baby - that's why she got an X3 over a sedan.

Quote:
Hi all,

Ive been through most of this forum looking for all your bits of advice as i am test driving a 3 GT this weekend with the plan to put down a deposit for a new one and have some questions (UK btw).

320i GT Xdrive - Msport with. ( list price £38k)
1. Advanced parking pack
2. electric seats with mem + lumbar
3. Prof media
4. extended storage
5. Coral red interior
6. Comfort Access

Does anyone know what sort of price i should be paying in the UK for this as i have seen discounts bringing the car down to around £32k?

Min grey vs glacial silver but haven't 100% made up my mind on this so any help would be great.
As mentioned above, I have the Mineral Grey + Coral Red + Dark Walnut Burl... I love it!!! See below for pics. (Sorry to those who've already seen them.)

Quote:
Reason i am going with this car is i am 6ft4 and my wife is 6ft and just want a car with space for baby seats in the back, it looks bloody great and also have great boot space too.
You'll REALLY appreciate the additional rear legroom in the GT. It puts the X3, and even the 5-series to shame. I'm in a loaner 528 right now, while my GT is in service, and I just can't get over how much LESS legroom the 5-series has.

The luggage space is also really nice, especially with the rear seats being able to still be in the locked position while raised up straight (so you can put boxes behind it without the wasted space under a reclined seat). I lug around a lot of different sized things, and the length of the GT really helped with carrying a variety of cargo. Now, if it's mainly big square/cubical boxes you carry, the X3 might be better, because of the sloping roof. You simply can't hold large upright boxes/luggages as well as an X3/X5. However, if it's something long, it's got the X3 beat. I bought a new 60" TV for my in-laws, and it won't fit in the X3, but will go in my GT with a couple of inches to spare.

Quote:
I really want xdrive and petrol as i don't do the miles needed to clear the Diesel filters which only leaves me with the 320i. What do people think of this engine?

xDrive is a must for me. I just love having it for the winters (along with proper winter tires), or when we occasionally have to go off pavement.

I wouldn't necessarily call you "mad", but the new 8-speed sport-auto tranny is really nice... I recommend trying it before knocking it. But I will respect your love for changing gears manually - I do miss is occasionally (had a WRX previously).

Quote:

Would anyone recommend the BMW paint, alloys and tyre protection packs or are they a waste of money?
Sorry, can't help you there... the schedule light does come on "when the car decides it needs service". However, I'd say that happens less often than the routine 3-month oil change regiment I've always followed with my previous cars. I do like the fact that I don't have to worry about the cost of warranty and maintenance work on my car (I guess that's built into the price of the cars here in North America).

Quote:
What do people think about the options. I cant have them all but would have liked to pick the adaptive dampers, advanced speakers, pana roof but cant justify getting a 3 series up to £40k. what options did you not get but really wish you had?

Would love a few pics of these colour cars if you have them.

Thanks and sorry for so many questions

Jed
As for options, the wide nav screen is sweet... I LOVE the pano-roof, and I don't think I can live without the MSport steering wheel. The cameras (reverse and bird's-eye) are nice for parking in very tight spaces, as I would have to do routinely in a city - visual confirmation of how close you are to another parked car is far nicer than a good "guestimation".

The HUD is a nice luxury, especially if you use the nav. It's nice that it projects the next step and the distances, so you don't have to take your eyes off the road at all. However, I'd say it depends on the price.... this is not a "must-have" like the pano-roof, MSport steering wheel, xDrive, or the cameras.

These are not the most recent pics... and the car hadn't been washed, so please excuse me. I just went out with the wife and took some photos on a whim one day.

D8G_0064 by nuttyphotonut, on Flickr

D8G_0075 by nuttyphotonut, on Flickr

D8G_0093 by nuttyphotonut, on Flickr

D8G_0119 by nuttyphotonut, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 09:17 AM   #18
Jed Flash
Rep

lmcq784 thanks for the in-depth reply.

Quote:
I LOVE the pano-roof!! I would get that before the HUD
I do really want the roof and am thinking when i'm spending so much whats another £1,000 but in all honestly ive been asking so that i don't make a mistake a leave out sometime i will kick myself over.

Quote:
I will say, though, it's nicer in the X3 because you don't have to bend down as much to access the baby. We are both about 5'10", and in the X3, we stand straight, and everything is comfortable in getting the baby. No need to hunch and reach down into the seat. Height of access for baby - that's why she got an X3 over a sedan.
Right now my main concern is my leg room and to make sure that on a day to day i can drive this with 2 rear facing seats in the back. If your wife at 5ft 10 has to adjust her seat then at 6 ft 4 i would have to in the X3 and i prefer the look of the GT.

Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily call you "mad", but the new 8-speed sport-auto tranny is really nice... I recommend trying it before knocking it. But I will respect your love for changing gears manually - I do miss is occasionally (had a WRX previously).
I am just not sure if anyone else buys manual and i will end up with a car i cant shift or the GFV will be much lower because of it? I have obviously had bad autos in the past but i also enjoy driving and changing gear. On my day to day commute i ride a Ducatti and again i love the ride and changing gears and if i didnt i would have an auto scooter

Love the pics btw. I do like that colour but the wife prefers the lighter silver. I can pick everything but the colour
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 10:08 AM   #19
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ive been asking so that i don't make a mistake a leave out sometime i will kick myself over.
The only option I'd like to have is the Active Cruise Control. If building my own I'd get it. Very hard to find it in cars on the lot that aren't loaded up with other stuff that you don't need, though. As it is the standard cruise is still the best I've ever used.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 10:28 AM   #20
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Very hard to find it in cars on the lot that aren't loaded up with other stuff that you don't need, though.
Had a quick look in there today (UK site)... some lovely Msports in there and some with Xenon, pro nav, pano roof... good specs for under £35K

knowing prices are not fixed, very good deals for somebody out there
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 10:49 AM   #21
lmcq784
Excited F34 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F34 (328iX GT M-Sport)

Quote:
Right now my main concern is my leg room and to make sure that on a day to day i can drive this with 2 rear facing seats in the back. If your wife at 5ft 10 has to adjust her seat then at 6 ft 4 i would have to in the X3 and i prefer the look of the GT.
You'll want the leg room of the GT then, compared to the X3. VERY Significant difference with a rear-facing carseat (that's what we have now, but just 1).

Quote:
I am just not sure if anyone else buys manual and i will end up with a car i cant shift or the GFV will be much lower because of it? I have obviously had bad autos in the past but i also enjoy driving and changing gear. On my day to day commute i ride a Ducatti and again i love the ride and changing gears and if i didnt i would have an auto scooter
I hear ya! I would have tried it out, except, the MT isn't even offered as an option here in the US. Cars with MT in the US sure have a lower GFV, because less and less people even know how to drive a stick shift... (lack of demand), but if you want it, you want it.... It's an excellent feeling to have that extra connection with your car.

(and you're making me jealous with your Ducati.. Just got licensed for motorcycles, but the family and wife are adamantly against the idea of me owning and riding a motorcycle, especially now that we have a baby.. )
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 12:46 PM   #22
OfficeHeadphones
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcq784 View Post
You'll want the leg room of the GT then, compared to the X3. VERY Significant difference with a rear-facing carseat (that's what we have now, but just 1).

(and you're making me jealous with your Ducati.. Just got licensed for motorcycles, but the family and wife are adamantly against the idea of me owning and riding a motorcycle, especially now that we have a baby.. )
I too am going to give a big thumbs up for the rear seat room. Our rear facing seat is huge and could take our baby to the moon and back. The sloping roof makes it more difficult to get him in than the Lexus IS, but the passenger in front isn't eating their knees. It is especially nice if I am taking a break during long trips. Or, if need be, sitting in the back with the kid.

I did not want the HUD. I experienced one on a car that the dealer gave me to test drive for the day. I just wasn't enjoying it.

The sun roof, I love the light, even if I don't use it all the time.

My lady paid for the upgrade for the 335 from the 328 as a birthday present. I still drive ECO to work and back, but love the "mountain" roads where I live on the weekends.

I also really like the M Sport package. The base line just feels really plastic and cheap.
Appreciate 0