F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Broken Axle
proTUNING Freaks

06-20-2022, 04:33 PM   #1
DV
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i

Garage List
Broken Axle

Update: Broken axle. Not cheap but could have been much worse!

I experienced a sudden, catastrophic driveline failure on either the 1-2 or 2-3 shift at about 1/4 throttle.
The noise was awful, like ball bearings in a blender.
Also heard pieces of metal hitting the ground, however no fluid leaking from the transmission area under the car.
I did see what looked to be gear oil on the rear control arm, so I assumed I blew up the rear end, broke an axle or drive shaft.
No power to the wheels at all, the car needed to be towed.

Good news: With the car in park and engine running there is no noise, so the engine seems fine.
Bad news: When I shift into gear, even neutral, the awful rotating noise returns.

I cannot imagine why that noise would be present with the car in neutral if the issue is behind the transmission

The shop I went to (VAST Performance) said it is unlikely that my ZF 8-speed is destroyed as they regularly handle much more torque.
However, if I do need a new transmission, they have not had any success coding one to work from another car, so I would need a new transmission from BMW.
Cost is about $14k for the transmission + labor. Fuck!
They will not be able to look at it until the end of the week at the earliest, so now I wait.

My questions to you guys are:

1. Do you have an explanation for the noise I described that doesn't involve the transmission itself?
Is something engaged even in neutral that would rotate a broken driveshaft for example?

2. Has anyone had success coding a used transmission from another car or know of a shop that has done this?

I will update after I hear back from VAST, hopefully later this week.

2017 440i Gran Coupe RWD
48k miles
BM3 Stage 2+ E50
XHP Stage 3
MPSS 265/35/19
Attached Images

Last edited by DV; 06-23-2022 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 07:47 PM   #2
uncle335i
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV View Post
Hey guys. Hoping to get some feedback on an issue from this weekend.

I experienced a sudden, catastrophic driveline failure on either the 1-2 or 2-3 shift at about 1/4 throttle.
Also heard pieces of metal hitting the ground, however no fluid leaking from the transmission area under the car.
I did see what looked to be gear oil on the right rear control arm, so I assumed I blew up the rear end, broke an axle or drive shaft.

Good news: With the car in park and engine running there is no noise, so the engine seems fine.
Bad news: When I shift into gear, even neutral, the awful rotating noise returns.

I cannot imagine why that noise would be present with the car in neutral if the issue is behind the transmission

My shop (VAST Performance) said it is unlikely that my ZF 8-speed is destroyed as they regularly handle much more torque.
However, if I do need a new transmission, they have not had any success coding one to work from another car, so I would need a new transmission from BMW.
They will not be able to look at it until the end of the week at the earliest, so now I wait.

1. Do you have an explanation for the noise I described that doesn't involve the transmission itself?
Is something engaged even in neutral that would rotate a broken driveshaft for example?

2. Has anyone had success coding a used transmission from another car or know of a shop that has done this?

2017 440i Gran Coupe
48k miles
BM3 Stage 2+ E50
XHP Stage 3
MPSS 265/35/19
Sounds like you blew your rear or front differential. X drive is a rear wheel drive bias so it should move even if you blew your front diff. F30's have historically weak differentials in rear. The ones that go seem to go at lower mileage. I have seen a zf8 break gear train components inside but at that point it did still have 2nd and 3rd but no reverse.

If it is the diff, grab a used one from car-part.com, its far less expensive than the dealer. If you find one with over 60k on it, it'll probably last the life of the vehicle.

Further to that, unless it's in park, the transmission will free wheel in neutral slightly and will spin the broken pinion gear (assuming that's what's shattered)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 10:31 PM   #3
DV
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle335i View Post
Sounds like you blew your rear or front differential. X drive is a rear wheel drive bias so it should move even if you blew your front diff. F30's have historically weak differentials in rear. The ones that go seem to go at lower mileage. I have seen a zf8 break gear train components inside but at that point it did still have 2nd and 3rd but no reverse.

If it is the diff, grab a used one from car-part.com, its far less expensive than the dealer. If you find one with over 60k on it, it'll probably last the life of the vehicle.

Further to that, unless it's in park, the transmission will free wheel in neutral slightly and will spin the broken pinion gear (assuming that's what's shattered)
From your mouth to God's ears uncle! I'm really hoping it's the rear end (my car is RWD).
I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade to the M-Performance rear diff and suddenly the cost doesn't seem so bad lol.
Thanks for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 12:15 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

If the noise is present when the driveshaft is not spinning at all, its probably trans... should be very simple to test.

If it is trans: https://www.puredrivetrainsolutions....-transmissions
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 02:41 PM   #5
DV
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
If the noise is present when the driveshaft is not spinning at all, its probably trans... should be very simple to test.

If it is trans: https://www.puredrivetrainsolutions....-transmissions
At this point I wish I had just towed the car home first. I would have at least been able to diagnose instead of waiting a week for the shop to look at it. I just didn't want to have to tow it multiple times.
I came across Pure transmissions the other day. I heard they can code remotely as well. I will most likely go that route if the trans needs to be replaced. Thanks for the suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 04:20 PM   #6
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Hey guys. Hoping to get some feedback on an issue from this weekend.

I did see what looked to be gear oil on the right rear control arm, so I assumed I blew up the rear end, broke an axle or drive shaft.

The shop I went to (VAST Performance) said it is unlikely that my ZF 8-speed is destroyed as they regularly handle much more torque.

2017 440i Gran Coupe RWD
48k miles
BM3 Stage 2+ E50
XHP Stage 3
MPSS 265/35/19
Where was the noise coming from? The differential is between the rear wheels. Did you feel vibrations under your feet?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 02:24 PM   #7
Stuk82
Rep
Drives: 435i f32

Hello, did we finally find out what the fault was? I have read in several forums about this problem and today it happened to me on my 435i, from what I know and seeing several cases "luckily the axle will break and not the transmission or transfer"
Enviar comentarios
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 02:52 PM   #8
DV
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Broken inner CV joint on the left rear axle.
No damage to the transmission or differential. Replaced the axle and we’re all good.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 04:31 PM   #9
Stuk82
Rep
Drives: 435i f32

Quote:
Broken inner CV joint on the left rear axle.
No damage to the transmission or differential. Replaced the axle and we’re all good.
very hopeful news for me!!
I was scared when this happened to me 😅
Thank you very much for the information !
Appreciate 0