F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Which Cold Air Intake Should I Choose
GetBMWParts

07-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #1
ACR3597
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i MSport

Which Cold Air Intake Should I Choose

I've narrowed it down to tree choices

1. First is the Injen CAI. This seems to be the one I see people have the most on this forum and the majority of the people who have it seemed to be pleased. I'm not too sure about it not being a sealed air box intake.
http://www.topgearsolutions.com/inje...i-f30-n26.html

2. AFE Momentum Pro intake. I've seen that some people have this one and again seemed to be pleased with it, but haven't really seen as much feedback about it as the Injen. This one is a sealed airbox.
http://www.topgearsolutions.com/afemainstsip2.html

3. AFR Stage 2 Intake. This one I haven't seen anybody with this intake. This is an open exhaust although AFE sells a box you can put a around it. http://www.topgearsolutions.com/afe-...28i-f30-n.html
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 11:21 PM   #2
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

The one that looks the best to you, since they are for looks.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 11:22 PM   #3
ACR3597
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes
The one that looks the best to you, since they are for looks.
Mainly for sound, but at the most I'm trying to get one that at least doesn't hinder performance
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 11:34 PM   #4
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT, 2024 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACR3597 View Post
Mainly for sound, but at the most I'm trying to get one that at least doesn't hinder performance
I doubt any of them will hinder performance, but the Injen seem to be the highest quality for the price (for sound).
      07-07-2016, 12:55 AM   #5
EuroWhips
Private First Class
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

I would go for Injen, happy with mine
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2016, 08:03 AM   #6
ACR3597
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroWhips
I would go for Injen, happy with mine
Have you had any problems with driving through puddles and water getting into the intake or anything like that?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 08:54 AM   #7
EuroWhips
Private First Class
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

No issues whatsoever as it uses the stock scoop behind the grill
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #8
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Quote:
Have you had any problems with driving through puddles and water getting into the intake or anything like that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroWhips View Post
Correct. These are not like traditional 'cold air intakes'. They all utilize the stock filter scoops and placements.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #9
ACR3597
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono06
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroWhips View Post
Correct. These are not like traditional 'cold air intakes'. They all utilize the stock filter scoops and placements.
Since the Injen intake is constructed of metal, won't the metal absorb heat from the engine which in turn would put hot air in the filter area?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 10:31 AM   #10
TypeOne
Enthuisiast
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Since the Injen intake is constructed of metal, won't the metal absorb heat from the engine which in turn would put hot air in the filter area?
Yes, typically metal tubes will inherently absorb heat faster than other materials such as plastic, fiber, silicone..ect. However, they typically dissipate that heat pretty quickly, depending on the specific applications of course.

There are always going to be trade offs between different intakes. Metal tubes may see a rise in IAT's, but the plastic intakes can warp or (depending on mfg quality and design) reduce the airflow (compared to a smooth aluminum tube.) Some plastic intakes can be BETTER than the aluminum tubes since you can design and tune plenums in specific ways compared to using a simple extruded aluminum tube. They are also relatively inexpensive to produce.

Take it with a grain of salt though since the differences will likely not be noticed in any significant way on a stock car. My main concern with an intake system would be the air filter element itself. You can compare different types of tube materials but the filter type and flow seem paramount to me. A properly sized intake tube and high flow filter will work well enough. Like all mods, there is a finite amount of power to gain from a modified intake system.

Other things to consider would be air inlets, size, heat shields and boxes (keeping the air flowing into the filter as cool as possible) and not to mention the MAF sensor position and location. From what I have seen, it seems that upgrading the intake should be paired with the JB4 for best results otherwise the stock MAF reading could be a little unstable.

Hope that helps!
      07-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #11
ACR3597
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeOne
Quote:
Yes, typically metal tubes will inherently absorb heat faster than other materials such as plastic, fiber, silicone..ect. However, they typically dissipate that heat pretty quickly, depending on the specific applications of course.

There are always going to be trade offs between different intakes. Metal tubes may see a rise in IAT's, but the plastic intakes can warp or (depending on mfg quality and design) reduce the airflow (compared to a smooth aluminum tube.) Some plastic intakes can be BETTER than the aluminum tubes since you can design and tune plenums in specific ways compared to using a simple extruded aluminum tube. They are also relatively inexpensive to produce.

Take it with a grain of salt though since the differences will likely not be noticed in any significant way on a stock car. My main concern with an intake system would be the air filter element itself. You can compare different types of tube materials but the filter type and flow seem paramount to me. A properly sized intake tube and high flow filter will work well enough. Like all mods, there is a finite amount of power to gain from a modified intake system.

Other things to consider would be air inlets, size, heat shields and boxes (keeping the air flowing into the filter as cool as possible) and not to mention the MAF sensor position and location. From what I have seen, it seems that upgrading the intake should be paired with the JB4 for best results otherwise the stock MAF could be a little unstable.

Hope that helps!
Which of these intakes do you have or which do you suggest? I am kind of planning on getting a tune for my car after my warranty is up. Thanks for the advice so far!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 11:16 AM   #12
TypeOne
Enthuisiast
Rep

Quote:
Which of these intakes do you have or which do you suggest? I am kind of planning on getting a tune for my car after my warranty is up. Thanks for the advice so far!
My car is all stock right now.

I do have other cars (non-BMW) and have a hand in developing performance intake systems for them through my company. I've been doing a lot of research on F30 systems and from what I have seen, the BMS intake seems to be the best value. I have read concerns about the tube housing warping issues (not surprising) and their fix for it.

The AFE looks like a really nice part as well but I have yet to see much to justify the costs, especially when none of the manufactures will put out dyno graphs.

No matter which route you go, it seems like the JB4 will make anything better.
      07-07-2016, 11:22 AM   #13
ACR3597
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeOne
Quote:
My car is all stock right now.

I do have other cars (non-BMW) and have a hand in developing performance intake systems for them through my company. I've been doing a lot of research on F30 systems and from what I have seen, the BMS intake seems to be the best value. I have read concerns about the tube housing warping issues (not surprising) and their fix for it.

The AFE looks like a really nice part as well but I have yet to see much to justify the costs, especially when none of the manufactures will put out dyno graphs.

No matter which route you go, it seems like the JB4 will make anything better.
AFE actually does have a dyno chart on their site with and without the intake though I'm not sure if one is supposed to take the dyno results seriously. Also, I have a full catback exhaust on my car, would that make any difference with intake?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 11:38 AM   #14
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

check the N20 engine sub-forums. currently, there are a few threads on injen and awe intakes up top.

it seems injen has the best performance gains and is what most have. however, from what i have read intakes don't do much except make more sound (for the N20/26) and look pretty in the engine bay.

personally i'd just put a HPA high flow air filter and spend towards a tune or ER FMIC and charge pipe.

flash or piggyback tunes are largest performance enhancement for the least amount of money, without a shadow of a doubt.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #15
XRAVE
Rep
Drives: 135i

Intakes are for looks and sound only. I find it impossible that just an air intake gains you 10 HP without a tune.

Here are some cheaper alternatives to gain 5 HP:

-Kick your GF out of the passenger seat
-Clean out 50 lbs worth of junk in the car
-Remove the back seats
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2016, 11:49 AM   #16
Nick340xi_qc
EMT - Firefighter
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 340xi mppsk

Garage List
2012 328i  [10.00]
2006 325I  [0.00]
1988 ranger  [0.00]
Went for option 3 because i bought it used at a good price. I don't really care for the performance gain discussion. Still i love the increase sound of the DV.
BMW 2012 328i F30 Sport / Ext black / Mperf Front and Rear bumper / Front lip and rear diffusor Mperf / Oem Yellow BBK / Low kick carbon spoiler / Varrstoen ES1 / H&R coilover / 335i MPE / AA flash tune + burble / ER downpipe
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2016, 11:50 AM   #17
ACR3597
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick328i_qc
Went for option 3 because i bought it used at a good price. I don't really care for the performance gain discussion. Still i love the increase sound of the DV.
Yeah I'm mainly getting it for sounds, but I do not want one that will hinder the performance of my car because I do hear that sometimes intakes can do that.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 12:49 PM   #18
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
With my last Audi I was told it would show up when car is plugged in and could trigger warranty issues. I thought, why bother for no performance increase.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #19
ACR3597
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY
Quote:
With my last Audi I was told it would show up when car is plugged in and could trigger warranty issues. I thought, why bother for no performance increase.
What could show up when car is plugged in?

And I have a full catback exhaust on my car and it was recently at the dealer to get some stuff fixed under warranty and they didn't say anything about the exhaust so I imagine and hope they wouldn't care about an intake.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #20
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRAVE View Post
Intakes are for looks and sound only. I find it impossible that just an air intake gains you 10 HP without a tune.

Here are some cheaper alternatives to gain 5 HP:

-Kick your GF out of the passenger seat
-Clean out 50 lbs worth of junk in the car
-Remove the back seats
the driver should also put the pizza and ice cream down and lose some weight

every 8 pounds shaved is the equivalent of gaining 1 hp

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 01:22 PM   #21
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRAVE View Post
I find it impossible that just an air intake gains you 10 HP...
It could if it was replacing a poorly designed intake. The stock intake isn't poorly designed.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #22
TypeOne
Enthuisiast
Rep

If you have a 328i N20, the results may be different than what I have been seeing with the N55 EWG F30. As stated above, you really need a tune to get any sort of significant increase in power. That pretty much applies to any car, except for like a Mustang GT or something. hehehe