F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Gray 328i detailed
ARMA SPEED

07-02-2015, 11:47 PM   #1
whoisthis
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

Gray 328i detailed

It took me about 2.5 hours to fully detail my 328i.
-I started off with soap high pressure water at Coin operated machine.
-Washed it off with high pressure water.
-Clayed (I wasn't planning claying it but the sticky pieces of leafs from trees wouldn't get off) Meguairs clay
-Used Meguairs Detailer
- Wax it with SmartWax
- Conditioned the rubber and plastic pieces with SmartWax conditioner
-Waxed the rims with SmartWax rim wax.
-Shined the tires with meguiars Hot Shine. There gotta be a better product because Meguiars doesn't last long

Now the car has crazy shine and reflections
sucks i can't do this often in Michigan weather..

07-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #2
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Your car looks great.

If you want to research other products, do some digging around this area. There are several threads where members name drop several of our favorite products. Meguiar's makes some good stuff, but there are others such as Griots, Chemical Guys, Wolfgang's, Menzerna, and Adams, that we mix and match to get great results.

For tire shine, be careful, the real long lasting shiny stuff is often oil based and holds all that BMW brake dust, which is very bad for your wheels. The water based tire shine doesn't last, but can be safer. I use Griots.

Wheel cleaner is important to consider to. I use Diablo Gel mostly from Chemical Guys, but also have some Sonax Full Effect for times when I have grit build up.

Good luck. As long as you're doing something, your car will continue to look great!

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 09:31 PM   #3
whoisthis
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
Your car looks great.

If you want to research other products, do some digging around this area. There are several threads where members name drop several of our favorite products. Meguiar's makes some good stuff, but there are others such as Griots, Chemical Guys, Wolfgang's, Menzerna, and Adams, that we mix and match to get great results.

For tire shine, be careful, the real long lasting shiny stuff is often oil based and holds all that BMW brake dust, which is very bad for your wheels. The water based tire shine doesn't last, but can be safer. I use Griots.

Wheel cleaner is important to consider to. I use Diablo Gel mostly from Chemical Guys, but also have some Sonax Full Effect for times when I have grit build up.

Good luck. As long as you're doing something, your car will continue to look great!
I love trying out different products. Perhaps, Chemical Guys is my next choice for detailing products.
i'm hoping for people to write some reviews about the detailing products on this forum
      07-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #4
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Posted this for a guy a couple of weeks ago:

"Complex question here, so I'll try to be short and to the point.

The paint correction process is about 4-5 steps. If you care about preserving the look of your car, these steps are absolutely necessary and none should be skipped. The process will take an entire weekend and can last for 6-8 months.

Your initial investment will vary depending on the quality of products used, some can be cheaper, many need to be of high quality. Cost, between $125-$300.

First, you should visit Autogeek.net. This is where many of us get out detailing products. Site also offers good info for educating yourself.

First purchase, high pile Microfiber towels (10-15). These are washable. Also get a good microfiber wash detergent. Lasts a year usually if you don't go crazy.

Step 1: buy a good car shampoo. I use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Shine for deep cleaning (pre-wax/sealant; bugs, tree sap, etc). I use Adams Car shampoo for weekly washes. Suggest a gallon of Adams or whoever, and a small size for a Citrus.

Use 2 bucket washing method. One for soap, one for rinsing towels during wash. If towel gets dirt or drops to ground, do not use again before washing!

For a paint correction, car should be washed at least 3 times. Twice with Citrus, once Shampoo. Dry car well and let sit for at least 2 hrs.

Step 1.2: Clay bar car. Always use a clay bar lubricant. Buy good clay and matching spray. Should last a couple of years. Once you clay, car is bare, so apply polish and sealant/wax immediately!

Step 2: car polish. I use Meguires Deep Shine (Sapphire Black). My F32 is new, so I polished by hand using foam applicators. Many will say buy a $130 Orbital. I didn't and car looks great. Apply car detail 3M tape around windows, lights, symbols, trim. Do not use painters tape!

Apply polish to small areas, then buff with microfiber towels folded 4 ways = 8 sides. Keep using clean sides. Following polish, let car sit for an hour at least, then wash again using car shampoo. Dry and let sit for another 2hrs.

Step 3: Now you're ready for a paint sealant or carnauba wax. I use a sealant since it lasts longer (6 months). I use Wolfgang's High Gloss 3.0. Some love Menzerna Powerlock. Both are great, so are others.

Step 4: Following Sealant; apply Wax. Or skip sealant and just wax. (Lasts for 3-4 months).

Bonus: Use a good quick detailer spray or spray wax after each wash and whenever bird poo hits your car. I use Chemical Guys Hybrid V07. Use sensitive skin wet wipes, then detailer, wipe with microfiber towel only. Keep small bottle of detailer and towel in your trunk.

Big point is to do something. Better products last a long time. 16oz of shampoo should last over a year. Most are concentrated."

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 10:19 PM   #5
whoisthis
First Lieutenant
Rep

wow that is some work right there. Thanks for sharing.
I probably not be able to use the bucket method but i'll definitely follow close to the procedure!
      07-12-2015, 02:38 PM   #6
B39 B58
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i / M Sport / 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisthis View Post
It took me about 2.5 hours to fully detail my 328i.
-I started off with soap high pressure water at Coin operated machine.
-Washed it off with high pressure water.
-Clayed (I wasn't planning claying it but the sticky pieces of leafs from trees wouldn't get off) Meguairs clay
-Used Meguairs Detailer
- Wax it with SmartWax
- Conditioned the rubber and plastic pieces with SmartWax conditioner
-Waxed the rims with SmartWax rim wax.
-Shined the tires with meguiars Hot Shine. There gotta be a better product because Meguiars doesn't last long
B/c you have a pretty dark paint, be careful with that process. Just using the coin-op sprayer doesn't get the paint clean enough to follow up with claying and waxing. Without actually using a wash mitt or sponge on the car, you'll leave behind a film of grit that can scratch in later steps.