F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Compatible dumb phone?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-13-2015, 06:11 PM   #1
Kev314
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 xdrive

Compatible dumb phone?

Car is a 2014 328i xdrive, luxury version (so called). I believe it has all available electronics.

When I bought the car, the sales guy attempted to pair my old casio dumb phone. Car said "error." But the next day, driving along, I was surprised to hear an incoming call on car's speaker. I've been using it ever since. Once I accidentally unpaired, and it took 30 min of trial & error to pair once again; otherwise no problem.

The casio battery is old (& hard to replace), and I don't want to lug around a smart phone. So I need a new dumb one.

The offical bmw list includes only smartphones.

Can anyone suggest an up to date dumb phone that works with bmw bluetooth? The only functionality needed is to receive and place calls, and to transfer the phone directory.

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2015, 06:14 PM   #2
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

What the deuce?

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 11:26 PM   #3
bad karma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i F31 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev314 View Post
Can anyone suggest an up to date dumb phone
Yep, it's called a smartphone.

The reasons for having a dumb phone are increasingly limited to old people lacking technical ability, the disabled who need large touch buttons to navigate, and drug dealers/pimps/hookers/criminals in need of cheap, disposable phones.

Also, I'd venture that most dumb phones weigh at least as much as a smartphone, while managing to be at least twice as thick, so there goes the "lugging it around" argument.

Of course, you could just be frugal and not want to spend money on a fancy toy with features you don't really need, but if that's the case I've got a seven year old Camry I can sell you.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #4
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

It is increasingly difficult to even find feature phones and not all of them have Bluetooth capability. And even then, their Bluetooth support is rudimentary, intending to connect to a headset. They may not work well with the car's BT interface. If you were to get it to sync, you'd likely have to dial from the phone itself. You wouldn't see contacts etc. Essentially the car would just be a dumb headset. If you do go down that route, you should definitely try it out with the car before you buy it. Some LG flip phones do say they have BT headset capability.

The only reason to continue using a basic feature phone is if you really are attached to a number pad, don't want to pay for a data plan, or don't like a touch screen. Blackberry might be the only thing with a physical kybd these days.

My mom is 85 and even she has an iphone
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 05:49 AM   #5
Kev314
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
It is increasingly difficult to even find feature phones and not all of them have Bluetooth capability. And even then, their Bluetooth support is rudimentary, intending to connect to a headset. They may not work well with the car's BT interface. If you were to get it to sync, you'd likely have to dial from the phone itself. You wouldn't see contacts etc. Essentially the car would just be a dumb headset. If you do go down that route, you should definitely try it out with the car before you buy it. Some LG flip phones do say they have BT headset capability.

The only reason to continue using a basic feature phone is if you really are attached to a number pad, don't want to pay for a data plan, or don't like a touch screen. Blackberry might be the only thing with a physical kybd these days.

My mom is 85 and even she has an iphone
The problem isn't attachment to the number pad, we already have a data plan for my girlfriends iphone 6s, and a touch screen would be fine.

The problem is size. Virtually all smart phones have significantly greater surface area than flip phones, making them more cumbersome to carry around in a pocket. I prefer a flip phone which can comfortably share a pocket with wallet or keys. Also, I don't text and don't feel a need to be tethered to a screen and internet.

My current but old flip phone works just fine with bmw BT including access to the phones contact list, remembering the last call etc.

I also know old people with iphones including a mid 80's relative with every apple gadget known to man including desktop, mac-book, ipad, iphone, & watch. Anyway, I'm not quite that old!

You are right about one thing, I should try before buying.

Thanks for your response.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 05:30 PM   #6
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

You just have to get giant pockets and get used to an electronic device emitting radio waves into your private parts like the rest of us! I get it...flip phones ARE more compact. Generally more rugged too. I would bet the Verizon store would let you try before buy.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 05:44 PM   #7
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
You just have to get giant pockets and get used to an electronic device emitting radio waves into your private parts like theu rest of us! I get it...flip phones ARE more compact. Generally more rugged too. I would bet the Verizon store would let you try before buy.
funniest thing written today!! .

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0