F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2013 F30 335 M Sport added horsepower
Studio RSR

07-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
Krash92
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 M Sport

2013 F30 335 M Sport added horsepower

Hey guys, I'm new to the world of BMW's. I purchased the 2013 335 M Sport and now I'm waiting on my Challenge Downpipe, & Berger Stage 2 kit to be installed. Does anybody know how much more horsepower I'll get out of those mods?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

You ordered and are having the kit installed but don't know how much power you'll receive?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
ejholt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: SRT Viper / M3 / X6M / Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoley092 View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to the world of BMW's. I purchased the 2013 335 M Sport and now I'm waiting on my Challenge Downpipe, & Berger Stage 2 kit to be installed. Does anybody know how much more horsepower I'll get out of those mods?
I spoke with the folks who sell the DP today, matter of fact I ordered one for my 2014 M-Sport. They told me 20 hp / 30 ft lbs.

On the Stage 2. I'm also ordering one and waiting for clarification on performance. But I've heard upwards of 120 hp. That is what their site states.

There is also a Cold Air Intake as well - aFe. They claim 11 hp / 15 ft lbs.

I've got my GT Haus Quad Exhaust coming tomorrow. I've asked them for performance #s and still waiting. I assume it's in the 20 hp range.

I'm guessing close to a 150 hp gain for $5K and still manage 30+ mpg. All in theory though. Would need to dyno to keep everyone honest.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
F32
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Anywhere between 4 and 57.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
Krash92
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I looked at Injen cold air hbut they don't make one for the 13 F30 automatic only the manual. I'll have to look at the AFE. Have you looked at the evolution exhuast?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
Enilder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
I looked at Injen cold air hbut they don't make one for the 13 F30 automatic only the manual. I'll have to look at the AFE. Have you looked at the evolution exhuast?
Uh what?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Isn't the power add something you look into before you decide to have it installed on your car?

Did you test drive your BMW before buying it...or are you just a fly by the seat of your pants kinda guy?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
ejholt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: SRT Viper / M3 / X6M / Raptor

Quote:
I did, but based on the leading 5 I saw. GT Haus had the best and I think it is probably the most expensive.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
Krash92
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks ejholt. I like the way they sound. I'll have to compare the two.

Jtuds, I'm not that kind of guy, I know the average hp for each part. I wanted to see if anybody has the same set up and if they've dyno'd it.

I thought this was a forum for advise not for smartass.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #10
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
Isn't the power add something you look into before you decide to have it installed on your car?

Did you test drive your BMW before buying it...or are you just a fly by the seat of your pants kinda guy?
That was my point as well.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Thanks ejholt. I like the way they sound. I'll have to compare the two.

Jtuds, I'm not that kind of guy, I know the average hp for each part. I wanted to see if anybody has the same set up and if they've dyno'd it.

I'm not familiar with tunes from personal experience, but everything I've read leads me to believe it's not necessarily an additive thing when you install these components. There is a lot of co-dependency to achieve the max performance.

For FI engines, it seems the most passive improvement comes from combining the intake and headers to reduce restrictions. The exhaust might also be a big factor considering your N55 has a turbo. Once you have these in place, the tune should become much more effective with properly matched high octane fuel.

My point is if you simply chip your car, then I doubt the tune will really have as much ROI since the restrictions are so heavy on both sides of the engine, so maybe the only advantage is the timing change with higher octane fuel.

I'm interested to see how the power delta is for the N54 vs N55 on a similar tune. I'd guess (this is completely speculation) that the N55 has better response stock, but the N54 has better high end tuning potential since the twin scroll might be more restrictive.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
You must be new around here...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
I'm not familiar with tunes from personal experience, but everything I've read leads me to believe it's not necessarily an additive thing when you install these components. There is a lot of co-dependency to achieve the max performance.

For FI engines, it seems the most passive improvement comes from combining the intake and headers to reduce restrictions. The exhaust might also be a big factor considering your N55 has a turbo. Once you have these in place, the tune should become much more effective with properly matched high octane fuel.

My point is if you simply chip your car, then I doubt the tune will really have as much ROI since the restrictions are so heavy on both sides of the engine, so maybe the only advantage is the timing change with higher octane fuel.

I'm interested to see how the power delta is for the N54 vs N55 on a similar tune. I'd guess (this is completely speculation) that the N55 has better response stock, but the N54 has better high end tuning potential since the twin scroll might be more restrictive.
Correct assumptions. They are NOT additive and one mod can definitely influence another. For example, for an NA motor, a nice set of headers and a low restriction exhaust will allow it to breathe and uncork a few HP. But the same mod on a supercharged motor will actually hurt performance unless you swap pulleys. Mods to turbo motors can be equally as perplexing at times. It's important to have an overall plan and to stick to the plan. Randomly tossing parts on any motor can yield unexpected outcomes. I'm not saying that the OP is doing this. Just a simple PSA.
Appreciate 0