F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > EGR valve Replacement DIY?
GetBMWParts

02-22-2017, 01:36 PM   #23
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

Mine needs it's 4th, waiting for BMW to come back to me on a goodwill replacement as the 3rd one hasn't even lasted a year.

I'm wondering if spending money on this terraclean process might help in the long run
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 02:03 PM   #24
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Is there not a egr delete for a n57?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 05:47 PM   #25
Nyxea
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixcat View Post
After an afternoon of fiddling I got ISTA to work and downloaded the fault codes, there are quite a few! 3 of them relate to the EGR valve so that seems to be the culprit.
I also get the occasional battery error and my stop-start hardly ever works so I wonder if these issues are related to the under voltage errors.
How did you get on with this? I have similar codes logged:

255C00 EGR Valve, position control: Valve open too wide
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 09:58 AM   #26
Phoenixcat
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M-Sport F31

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyxea View Post
Quote:
After an afternoon of fiddling I got ISTA to work and downloaded the fault codes, there are quite a few! 3 of them relate to the EGR valve so that seems to be the culprit.
I also get the occasional battery error and my stop-start hardly ever works so I wonder if these issues are related to the under voltage errors.
How did you get on with this? I have similar codes logged:

255C00 EGR Valve, position control: Valve open too wide
Took it to BMW in the end and they did it for £350. I have ISTA now with the manual and the job is really easy so if it happens again I will have a crack at it myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 10:24 AM   #27
Jus71n
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D Sport F30 2013

I fitted my own, took an hour. Managed to get the new EGR for £155
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #28
ushafiq
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F36 435d xdrive & G01 X3

Any DIY guide for EGR replacement?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 08:59 AM   #29
Jus71n
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D Sport F30 2013

Didn't find a guide, fairly simple though, hardest part is the tiny rear water hose attached to it!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 02:43 PM   #30
brtttt
Ü
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Took it to BMW in the end and they did it for £350. I have ISTA now with the manual and the job is really easy so if it happens again I will have a crack at it myself.
Do you have any links please for Working version of ISTA.

Could do with finding out if I have faults since the drive change fault has shown its ugly face.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 03:45 AM   #31
alex-xs
Rep
Drives: BMW f31, BMW f25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus71n View Post
I fitted my own, took an hour. Managed to get the new EGR for £155
and did you also perform a reset of the egr valve adaptation?
because in ISTA it is not possible for F series, at least not in the diesel electronics section?

I want to replace it also
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 04:15 AM   #32
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

Looking at the codes, looks like egr is sporadically in the open position. Most likely due to a carbon build up. You can try taking it out and cleaning it.

The procedure in ista is when you repair/replace the egr to activate it open and then fit it, so that way it will sit it normally.

Other then that, you can fully disconnect it and go for a drive, ( providing the egr isnt stuck open) and see how it drives. You will have the engine light on, bit it wont effect the driving performance.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 04:07 AM   #33
alex-xs
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
Looking at the codes, looks like egr is sporadically in the open position. Most likely due to a carbon build up. You can try taking it out and cleaning it.

The procedure in ista is when you repair/replace the egr to activate it open and then fit it, so that way it will sit it normally.

Other then that, you can fully disconnect it and go for a drive, ( providing the egr isnt stuck open) and see how it drives. You will have the engine light on, bit it wont effect the driving performance.
I have twice a year the same errors, saw the replace manual on ista, connect before fit will do the job, it will retract the postion a bit.
I ordered the clamps, will try to clean it first

couldn't find the reset adaptation thing in ista anyway....

Last edited by alex-xs; 05-26-2019 at 04:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 05:28 AM   #34
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex-xs View Post
I have twice a year the same errors, saw the replace manual on ista, connect before fit will do the job, it will retract the postion a bit.
I ordered the clamps, will try to clean it first

couldn't find the reset adaptation thing in ista anyway....
Ista, service column I think l, select engine, adaptations and there you will find Egr reset option
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 06:34 AM   #35
alex-xs
Rep

Quote:
Ista, service column I think l, select engine, adaptations and there you will find Egr reset option
will have a look today, should it be done before starting the engine?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 02:32 PM   #36
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex-xs View Post
will have a look today, should it be done before starting the engine?
yes, ignition on and then reset
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 03:29 AM   #37
alex-xs
Rep

many thanks,
found in ISTA how to reset, and it has to be done before fitting the new EGR valve
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 01:21 PM   #38
seenthelight!
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 435d f32 coupe

Blank it off, code it out 😉
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 05:12 PM   #39
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Get yourself a C tek charger and run it in recon mode. Did that to mine and sorted out all the battery charging issues etc.

Car seems to run smoother but that may just be placebo.
      10-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #40
stabri
Registered
Rep
Drives: 520d f11

Quote:

You mention "providing the egr isn't stuck open" - would that stop the car from driving? Just wondering because I think my EGR (B57 in a 520d) is stuck open and it stalls just after cranking.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 10:22 AM   #41
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

Someone recently uploaded a YouTube video doing this job. Not hugely detailed but I'm sure it will help somewhat:

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 04:56 PM   #42
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport

Quote:
Stop start will stop working if your battery isn't above a certain charge level or can't maintain a certain charge level. Dealers usually put it on a slow trickle charge to try to get it to charge fully before replacing it, so try that for your battery/stop start issue

I run Wynns EGR cleaner through my air intake every time I change my oil. Takes all of 5 mins and also whack some of their DPF cleaner in the fuel every now and then. Same with their fuel system cleaner and their turbo cleaner. Probs a waste of time but makes me feel better :
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #43
MetzgerMeister
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1ue52 View Post
Stop start will stop working if your battery isn't above a certain charge level or can't maintain a certain charge level. Dealers usually put it on a slow trickle charge to try to get it to charge fully before replacing it, so try that for your battery/stop start issue

I run Wynns EGR cleaner through my air intake every time I change my oil. Takes all of 5 mins and also whack some of their DPF cleaner in the fuel every now and then. Same with their fuel system cleaner and their turbo cleaner. Probs a waste of time but makes me feel better :
What steps are involved in the wynns EGR cleaner? Do you remove/loosen the air filter cover, remove the filter and spray it in there with the engine warm and running? N57 330d is what I’ll be doing it on.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 06:17 PM   #44
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetzgerMeister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1ue52 View Post

What steps are involved in the wynns EGR cleaner? Do you remove/loosen the air filter cover, remove the filter and spray it in there with the engine warm and running? N57 330d is what I’ll be doing it on.
Really, don't waste your time or money.

I tried it on mine. 2 cans. Zero effect.

The only way to clean the inlet manifold is to have it removed and then preferably have it soaked in a chemical or ultrasonic bath.

Get the inlet ports walnut blasted at the same time if they need doing.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0