F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > 3281 MSport SB- Opticoat and Tint photos
Studio RSR

03-27-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
Beemed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-sport

3281 MSport SB- Opticoat and Tint photos

Just had the Opticoat 2.0 and tint (3M 35%....edit) done and super pleased with the results.

BIG shout out to Kim at Detail Evolution www.detailevolution.com
Not only is he a terrific bloke, he is absolutely OCD regarding quality and I couldn't be happier with his service and the results.....if you're in Brisbane and looking for a great Opticoat job and a good deal then contact him, he has lots of experience and really cares about his output.

Dropped car off to him Sat morning 7.30am, his tinter Jason was there waiting and ripped into the job whilst I was gasbagging to Kim (Jason did an excellent job applying the 3M 35%(edit)....it seems from the photos that there are different tint % front/back/rear windows but it's all uniform.....just different reflective angles, etc). Kim had a good look at the micron count and it varied a bit across the car (102 - 125 ish from memory).

I then left but the process from there was:
  1. Removed wheels and opticated x 3 applications
  2. Wash down
  3. "Claying"....but he used the Optimum Opti-Eraser (www.optimumcarcare.com.au)
  4. Isopropyl alcohol wipe down
  5. Wasn't completely happy so he then machine buffed
  6. Repeated steps 3 & 4
  7. Opticoat 2.0 x 3 applications (did the windscreen as well but suggested a better product he'll have from his overseas supplier in a few weeks, so will be back for that later)
  8. Called it quits at 9pm!
At it again Sunday morning 6.30am to apply interior leather protection (Optimum Protectant Plus)

I arrived 10.30am to find Kim with microfibre cloth in hand doing laps around the car searching for any imperfections.

As you can see from the (poor quality iPhone pics) it was fairly overcast and rain threatened somewhat, but you can get a decent idea of the quality work from the reflections...I was extremely anxious to get the car home dry and back into the garage to aid the curing process (needs at least 24hrs without any water or grubby hands on it it!)....crawled back across town at a snails pace avoiding dirt/birds/liquids/people and any potential impediments!.....locked the car away in the garage and gave wife and kids explicit instructions to keep well away!

Looking forward to washing it this weekend to see just how well the water beads, and am particularly keen to see what difference it makes to the wheels ....as you all know the brake dust can be fairly copious.
Attached Images

Last edited by Beemed; 04-15-2013 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: Incorrect tint %....35% , not 20%
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
JOHN328
Feeling horny
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328

This is indeed a.......black car.
      03-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
Beemed
Enlisted Member
Rep

Once you go black....
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
nick1212
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 335i Sport 6MT - Gone soon

Just got mine done too just haven't had a chance to take pics. Looks amazing though.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
bimmer-A
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 30D msport

would you mind giving me a ball park figure for the opticoat prep and treatment and leather treatment?
      03-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Looks great. Nothing sexier than a black BMW
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemed View Post
Just had the Opticoat 2.0 and tint (3M 20%) done and super pleased with the results.

Looking forward to washing it this weekend to see just how well the water beads, and am particularly keen to see what difference it makes to the wheels ....as you all know the brake dust can be fairly copious.
Are you allowed 20% tint in QLD? Anything lower than 35% here in Vic is illegal.

You will love the way water should bead and easily run off the car. Oti-Coat and Hard Body are 2 very good and popular sealants. Of course you car - wheels included - WILL still get dirty. No getting away from that. The beauty of the sealant is in how easy it is to wash the dirt and grime away.

After 2 weeks dirt & grime buildup on my car, a snow foam & pw was all it needed to regain it's clean, shiny look. The dirt just falls off the car. However I still gave it the 2 bucket wash & blow dry, just to ensure all traces of dirt were removed.

What is Kim going to use on the glass? Enjoy your car.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
Beemed
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer-A View Post
would you mind giving me a ball park figure for the opticoat prep and treatment and leather treatment?
All up very close to the $1k mark..... he did an awesome deal so I won't disclose exact amount (you can let him know though that I gave him a rap on f30post and he might be just as generous with you!)

Price was prep work and opticoating (inc removing wheels) , interior protection and tinting

Again.....he did a great job and was generous enough to house my car o'night at his place (Forrest Lake)

good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
Beemed
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Are you allowed 20% tint in QLD? Anything lower than 35% here in Vic is illegal.

You will love the way water should bead and easily run off the car. Oti-Coat and Hard Body are 2 very good and popular sealants. Of course you car - wheels included - WILL still get dirty. No getting away from that. The beauty of the sealant is in how easy it is to wash the dirt and grime away.

After 2 weeks dirt & grime buildup on my car, a snow foam & pw was all it needed to regain it's clean, shiny look. The dirt just falls off the car. However I still gave it the 2 bucket wash & blow dry, just to ensure all traces of dirt were removed.

What is Kim going to use on the glass? Enjoy your car.

Yeah David....looking fwd to the 1st wash to se the results in the flesh....have scrutinised youtube vids and the beading effect looks amazing!

Can't remember the windscreen product, but Kim is going to let me know when it's in, should be about 4-5 weeks away and I'll post when I've had it done

RE: TINT

Actually I got 35%, not 20%.....got the wrong %!....doh
Qld legal limit 35%

better edit original post!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Sh!t that looks hot~!

Very nice and sexy looking there.... must say black is super sexy when it's shiny and clean like that
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Can't remember the windscreen product, but Kim is going to let me know when it's in, should be about 4-5 weeks away and I'll post when I've had it done
I'm going to use this when I use up my Invisible glass:

http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/pr...nt_glass_guard

Quote:
All up very close to the $1k mark..... Price was prep work and opticoating (inc removing wheels) , interior protection and tinting
Considering I paid $900.00 for similar treatment (no wheel removal) using Hard Body & 35% Carbon XP tint, your costs were on par with high quality professional work.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #12
beemermans
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

guys, dont use coatings on your front windscreen, it is not recommended, there is something called Flyby30 on its way to Australia, that Morrie (Reflection Perfection) told me about and I will be applying this as soon as its in, will not harm the windscreen
http://www.cquartz.com/pages.php?page_id=103

Last edited by beemermans; 03-27-2013 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #13
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

CarPro products like the C.Quartz range & Iron-X are 1st class. No doubt FlyBy30 looks to be a spectacular product. I suspect it's a similar nano sealant to Wolf's Chemicals' Glass Guard.

Please let me know when Morrie has the FB to hand as I may very well ask him to apply it to my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 06:13 AM   #14
Beemed
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemermans View Post
guys, dont use coatings on your front windscreen, it is not recommended, there is something called Flyby30 on its way to Australia, that Morrie (Reflection Perfection) told me about and I will be applying this as soon as its in, will not harm the windscreen
http://www.cquartz.com/pages.php?page_id=103
That looks awesome...I think that's the stuff Kim was referring to, will check.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 06:33 AM   #15
Beemed
Enlisted Member
Rep

The Opticoat beading effect and ease of washing is absolutely amazing!
Went on a 3 hr hard & fast drive this afternoon to Somerset dam via Mt Glorious and jumped on the brakes a number of times.....expected to see the alloys a shade of black when I got home but the brake dust build up over the past week (compared to a week pre-Opticoat) was noticeably reduced, even after this afternoons hard effort.

Washing the wheels was really interesting....I think 70% of dust was removed just with the initial rinse, the photo below (hopefully) captures the "grabbing" effect....the brake dust gets caught up in water droplets quite readily. From there, a simple foam, bit of agitation with a MF brush and a rinse did the trick.

A good MF towel draped across the panels helped dry off quickly....there's a real tackiness feel to the touch (which is quickly wiped over with a MF....I think OCD is setting in!)

As David328M has said before, washing becomes easy with an Opticoat. I reckon I've halved the total wash time, down to about 15min......hopefully I can get this down to 10min or so, which will help reduce my exposure to neighbours/passers by who I'm convinced think I'm a total obsessive!

Highly recommended!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #16
beemermans
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
CarPro products like the C.Quartz range & Iron-X are 1st class. No doubt FlyBy30 looks to be a spectacular product. I suspect it's a similar nano sealant to Wolf's Chemicals' Glass Guard.

Please let me know when Morrie has the FB to hand as I may very well ask him to apply it to my car.
Will let you know David, but he did say there was some hold up about with supplier, so Im guessing a few weeks, Just looking at the wolf's glass stuff, this stuff looks good too!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #17
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemermans View Post
Will let you know David, but he did say there was some hold up about with supplier, so Im guessing a few weeks, Just looking at the wolf's glass stuff, this stuff looks good too!
Man I so want to try CQuartz... I'll probably need to get a hold of him if he gets stock in
Appreciate 0