F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > First trip to Paris this August
Studio RSR

06-22-2015, 03:21 PM   #23
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

The most important tips I can give you are these:
  • Paris is best enjoyed by small groups of two to four moving about together. You'll find it a pain in the ass to move about the city as a "horde" of six or eight or more all wanting and trying to do the same thing at the same time. You can travel as one if you insist, but that's mostly going to relegate you to places that can handle large groups, which, by the size standards of most of the most charming places in Paris, is exactly what you'll be.
  • Be patient, especially when you go to dinner. Nobody is looking to get you in, seated and out the door again in 60-90 minutes. Take your time because the restaurant sure is going to. If you do feel compelled to show up as a party of six or eight (or more), make sure to (1) have a reservation because most places aren't expecting large parties to show up unexpectedly, and (2) let the restaurant know you aren't in a rush. The food you get will be much tastier if you do, especially if you stop in to a small neighborhood place, which is really what you want to do.
  • In looking for a nice place to eat as two families at once in your neighborhood, take a walk about on your first night there and look for crowded places. Then make a reservation at some of them for various evenings during the remainder of your stay. It can be fun for half of your group to go to one place one night and the other half to another. Then on a subsequent night, you might switch up and go to the place the other party went on a prior night or afternoon.
The more you all see and do separately, the more and better the stories and experiences you'll all have to share. You'll even be able to give one another "insider" tips. Always a fun thing.

For dining, unless you have a specific thing you are after, my suggestion is to just go for a stroll in the 4th or 5th and stop in at any place that catches your eye. A great many of the best meals and best times I've had in Paris came from just picking a quaint neighborhood place and ordering something. Most of them I never even knew the names of them before or after dining there.

The biggest foreseeable "issue" you'll encounter is that August is a big vacation month for Parisians. It's nowhere near as "bad" as it used to be, but there's no question that some people still take off for the whole month. That makes lines move a bit slower than normal at some of the "obvious" tourist venues, and occasionally it results in some places like small restaurants, the charming little bakery around the corner from one's flat, and the like being closed. On the upside, a lot of locals quite simply aren't there and that can make dealing with all sorts of things (non-tourist things) a bit easier. At the very least, Paris is comparatively calm, and that's probably a good thing for families with young children in tow.

If you feel the need to plan ahead for dining, and having several families that want to all eat together makes doing so a good idea, check the Michelin Guide and then the website of whatever place catches your fancy. Better, IMO, is that you all plan one "big event meal" to dine together, but otherwise, limit your planning to being at certain tourist places like the Louvre or Bastille at the same, but otherwise, venturing out on your own for meals with your immediate family. Many of the most lovely restaurants you'll find quite simply haven't room for parties of eight without advance notice.

Another tip, regardless of who "owns" which kids, figure out who among you have adventurous palates and who would rather stick to familiar foods. Divide yourselves into groups accordingly so as to improve the odds of everyone being satisfied with whatever place gets chosen for any given meal.

It sounds like you've already arranged for your accommodations and the Tower area is certainly a good one for a first trip, for if nothing else, upon getting lost, it's not hard to get un-lost and back to the hotel/apartment. If you can do it, I strongly suggest a vacation apartment rental over a hotel. The vacation apartment approach offers a few benefits:
  • It forces you to discover the neighborhood. That's among the best ways to find great places to eat and to experience the culture, to say nothing of stumbling upon cool bits of history.
  • It can be considerably more affordable than a hotel and offer nicer accommodations (vis a vis comparable sizes) while being so.
  • It gives you a kitchen which is so very, very worth it on Sunday when the open air, neighborhood market appears. I go to one on Rue Montorgueil that is literally in the shadow of the back side of St. Eustache, but I'm sure whatever one that appears in your neighborhood will be equally good, maybe even better as you're planning to stay in the diplomatic section of town.

What might you expect to find? Well, at the one on Montorgueil, 24 kinds of olive and 28 kinds of lettuce as the only things one farmer sells. Another will have literally hundreds of kinds of cheese and nothing else. You get the idea. It's all super fresh and makes for the most awesome home coooked meal you can imagine.

At the least, it's a way to bring foods you love from home with you to Paris. Even as someone who revels in traveling, I can't deny that sometimes I just want something simple that's exactly what I cook at home, albeit with a slightly new, French ingredient that I can't easily get at home. The familiarity is both comforting and it's nice to make something non-French for my Parisian friends. It's fun for them too. You probably won't be cooking for locals, but the kids will like something familiar at least once. If nothing else, it gives one a greater appreciation for the goodness of both cuisines. Here's a list of the markets in Paris: http://goparis.about.com/od/shopping...od-markets.htm . I don't know if it includes the ones that just show up once a week or every other week. You can always ask someone about those.
As for other food things and WiFi:
  • Ice cream -- You've got kids, so hitting a nice ice cream joint is a must on a hot day. I suggest the following:
  • Chocolate -- Really, if you find a place in your Paris neighborhood that makes chocolates on site, don't hesitate to give them a shot. In all likelihood you'll be more than thrilled. Yes there are more than a few "fancy pants" chocolatiers on the Left Bank and it's probably a good idea to visit one of them at some point, particularly if your travels have you strolling by one of them. Fortunately the area of Luxemborg Gardens seems to be a locus for a few of them. Here are the one's I know and can recommend:
  • McDonald's -- Okay, okay. Of course you aren't going to Paris to eat at McDonald's. I am suggesting this because McDonanld's is a very American thing that's been exported all over the world. Even so, when one visits one in a foreign country, often one sees that McDonald's differs by country. Generally the menu is different -- although the last time I was in a Mickey D's in Paris (over five years ago) all that was really different food wise was the McCafe, which has now made it's way to U.S.

That said, at least stop in and see what's there that isn't in your local McD's. What you see will give you a sense of what's culturally relevant to regular folks when they dash in for a quick "whatever" at a fast food place.
  • Free WiFi -- I don't use the WWW when I walk around in D.C. or other cities I frequent, much less cities I visit only a few times a year for a few days (never more than four) at a time, such a creature of fate and habit am I. But as a first time tourist, you may find it useful. McDonald's is good for that if nothing else. LOL

(I learned how to travel without it from the start. The WWW/ARPANET/BITNET/USENET was a barely known thing (and not known of by me) back then and WiFi wasn't even invented the first time I was a tourist in Paris, or the first time I was a tourist period, anywhere.)

There is, of course the Paris Municipal WiFi. Here are some links that should help yo with getting that set up on your phone.
    -- http://goparis.about.com/od/gettinga...tspotsfree.htm
    -- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pari...349077808?mt=8

Stuff to do/see:
Well, as this is your fist time, just pick whatever catches your eye and piques your interest. There's no shortage of stuff to see and all of it is worthy. There's little point in my proposing that you visit some esoteric site in the Jewish or Latin Quarter when you've never been to the Louvre and other such world renowned places.

Here are some things I can suggest that are in some way "connected" with the "big stuff" so that you can enjoy doing them and they may help make your trips to places like the Louvre and other major points of interest more pleasant by being able to fit int these more "mundane" things before or after hitting the so-called "main events":
  • Art and antiques -- (I doubt the kids will be keen on art and antique shopping, but remember I said split yourselves into smaller groups for eating, doing the same for touring and shopping is also a good idea, especially if you have varied interests and/or spending tastes.) I suggest hitting the art district and antique shops around the Louvre. You'll find some really beautiful original stuff, lots of which you may care to have shipped back home. Hone your haggling skills and let one of the other adults take the kids somewhere else when you are ready to buy.
  • Chilling -- Tuilleries Garden -- There's usually a summer carnival here that has a ferris wheel. When you want a view of Paris and really can't suffer the lines at the Tower, the ferris wheel is an excellent alternative. There're also a fountain where your kids can rent a sailboat and have fun with other kids or themselves. (http://www.nycsinglemom.com/2013/10/...des-tuileries/) Jardin de Tuilleries is right outside the Louvre so you really have no excuse for not visiting it, to say nothing of not taking a load off your feet and just sitting down in the shade. LOL
  • Chilling -- Centre Pompidou -- Okay, so the Pompidou center is yet another museum, modern art to be specific. And yes, there are the requisite galleries nearby. In all likelihood, more important for you and the other adults in the group is the rooftop bar there. Here's another great place to get some awesome city views while having a relaxing cocktail. (Skip the food -- it sucks -- unless you are literally starving, in which case it does at least meet the definition of "nourishment.")

I don't know if there are "on call" babysitters for tourist kids in Paris, but if you can find one, take advantage of it and give yourself a 24 hours to do adult things with other cosmopolitan adults. (The GP Centre e is often reserved for private events -- as a venue, it's that cool/good -- so call ahead after you arrive to ask if they have any private events scheduled for the time you'll be in town.)
  • Shopping -- Of course you can shop the haute couturiers and famous boutiques like Goyard and Hermes, but as suggested above I think doing the chocolate thing is spot on, not only for stuff you might bring back but also for enjoying while you are there. Right up there with confections, at least when I go, is perfume. I have yet to meet a lady who doesn't absolutely love some sort of perfume that can only be found in Paris. You can go the elite route if you want:
    -- Lutens: http://us.sergelutens.com/purchase.html -- I'm nuts over spicy "Boris."
    -- Guerlain -- http://www.guerlain.com/us/en-us
    -- http://www.artisanparfumeur.com/shop/home-us.html
    -- Freddy Malle -- http://www.fredericmalle.com/ -- Try the magnolia scent. It's amazing, both familiar and unique all at once.

Or you can hit one of the fashionable department stores for a France/European market version of a big name, or even a small clothing boutique that has it's own private label fragrance. No matter what you choose, it makes an excellent gift (no matter how small a bottle) for any lady -- be she with you on the trip or awaiting your return. My secretary always loves a little bottle of something (not necessarily pricey) from Paris that she can't get in a store back home. (Word to the wise, be prepared to sniff a lot; don't feel bad if you have to make a couple visits to let your sense of smell clear itself, and don't expect stuff to be marked as "men's" and "women's," although sometimes it will be, instead just let your nose tell you what to do.)
  • Shopping, living like a Parisian and chilling -- So you are staying in the Tower area. You're in luck for you can easily kill most of a day just shopping, nibbling your way through cafes, patisseries and picnicking in the park with baguettes, champagne, chocolate and strawberries. Take a walk down Rue du Commerce and have fun shopping and eating. And it's all within just a few short blocks. You'll find styles that suit every taste and wallet but much is on the affordable side of things. There's also a Monoprix (think French Target on two floors) if you need to pick up necessities of some sort. If you need it, the Champs de Mars Gardens is a decent place for an adult to chill with the kids while other adults trundle off to shop in peace.

As this suggestion implies, and as I've mentioned earlier, the real joy of Paris is found in the little village in which one lives while there. The suggestion of this bullet point is very much a way for you to fit in some relaxing time away from the hordes doing exactly that.
  • Sightseeing -- The very first things you should do is take a private ground tour and/or a helicopter tour on your first two days in Paris. I would do the helicopter one first for it gives you the lay of the land unlike anything you'll get in any other way. Do one of them at night and the other during the day. Once you've done those two things, you can pick and choose what else you want to do or visit again. The guides of each tour will give you all sorts of great tips about what else to do with the rest of your stay and their input will be up to the minute and tailored for you and your group.
  • Sightseeing -- The one thing I suggest you make a point of doing is ascending the Eiffel Tower at night. Shorter lines and fewer tourists doing so makes that worth it if no other reason does.
  • Sightseeing -- I would normally suggest going to see the Opera but as the season will have ended before you get there, it'll just be another grand old building -- Opera Garnier -- or grand ultra modern building -- Opera Bastille. I think you should defer a visit there until a time when you'll not only be able to see the architecture and learn of the history, but when you can also take in a performance as well. (Performance wise, I prefer the Opera Bastille as it's where the big operas happen. Garnier seems to mostly have ballet -- not really my thing -- and "other stuff.")
  • Sightseeing -- A former coworker had a blast a couple years back playing "what have you done in Paris?" (a gender neutral version of "whose dick is bigger" if you ask me LOL) with me. When it come to sightseeing, I lost even though I've been going to Paris multiple times a year for over a decade. The reality is I go for specific parties and events hosted by friends, or as a stopover on the way to somewhere else in Europe, thus the two to four day stays. I party; I shop; I eat out once, maybe cook a meal if I'm there on a Sunday, and then I leave looking forward to returning again to do the same.

It's been ages since I've been there to do tourist things. Even the suggestions above re: kid friendly things to do are based more on what I've observed others doing with their kids than on what I've done. That said, here is the list she's used in recent years to guide her sightseeing: http://www.timeout.com/paris/en/thin...to-do-in-Paris. As it's resulted in her getting to see all sorts of stuff that intellectually I know is in Paris, but that I'll likely never get to see, I think it's an excellent resource, particularly if you don't avail yourself of at least one private tour on day one.

Based on her stories, it's an excellent guide for choosing stuff to do. Based on what I briefly read in a few of the fist ten entries, it looks like using it as your guide will make sure you see something "off the path" when you visit the major sites that are "must see" locales for any first time tourist.

Another suggestion: check the strike pages before you leave. (http://paris.angloinfo.com/informati...e-information/ -- you'll also find good "how to get around" info on these pages) Strikes in France aren't like they are in the U.S. Folks plan them in advance, they announce them, and they last for stated periods. In all my years of going to France, I haven't bothered to try to understand it; I just work around them like everyone else does and get on with whatever I am doing.

Final suggestions:
  • Buy at least one business class (or first class if you want) ticket per family. You'll want at least one well rested adult per family so that's the reason for taking the the upgrade.
  • Book a flight that'll have you landing in Paris around eight in the morning. By the time you get through the airport and on your way into the city, morning rush hour will be over and that will make for a much more leisurely trip into the city whether you use the trains (I wouldn't suggest that for a first trip with kids in tow, but if you feel up to it, be glad at least one of you had a business class seat) or private limo.
  • Unless you have a specific reason, like a formal event, to take it, leave your expensive personal effects -- watches, jewelry, and the like -- at home aside from the ones you'll wear the entire time you are there. Unless you are staying in very posh places like the Georges V or similarly posh apartments, there's just no need to take the risk of leaving nice stuff in your rooms. About the only crime you could even possibly encounter is petty, opportunistic theft. Why make the opportunity available? And for what?
  • The surest way to look like an (adult) American tourist is to wear tennis shoes (especially white ones), sweatpants, baseball caps, flip flops, and t-shirts (men). Shirts with collars and buttons, jeans that fit, a hat of just about any sort other than a baseball cap, pants or shirts and walking shoes or comfortable loafers will make you look like someone who lives there. You do what you want, but you may find this helpful:
    -- http://www.pariscultureguide.com/french-etiquette.html
    -- http://blog.hostelbookers.com/travel...rican-tourist/
    -- http://www.refinery29.com/paris-tourist-tips
    There's nothing wrong with being an American in Pairs. Just don't be that American that arrives there and who refuses to follow French customs. It's a matter of being polite and respectful of local customs -- something that most American tourists aren't -- and that's something for which the French really have little taste.

Trust me on this; it'll make so many things so much more enjoyable and easy everywhere you go. Just as we don't cotton well to foreigners arriving in our U.S. cities and acting like it's still their home town, they are no different about us arriving in their home town.

Have a wonderful and safe trip.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 06-22-2015 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 03:48 PM   #24
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Place to avoid is France "with a car" !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 05:58 PM   #25
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Sub'd
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 07:18 PM   #26
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

McD is a reasonable choice in a foreign country. I went to one in Denmark and ordered a beer with my Happy Meal!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 07:58 PM   #27
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
McD is a reasonable choice in a foreign country. I went to one in Denmark and ordered a beer with my Happy Meal!
You know what they call a quarter pounder with cheese in Amsterdam?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 11:22 PM   #28
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
You know what they call a quarter pounder with cheese in Amsterdam?
Not sure. Does this belong in the joke thread
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 07:51 AM   #29
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure. Does this belong in the joke thread
I suspect it has something to do with this:

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 08:20 AM   #30
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
It is NEVER a reasonable choice, especially in a country that arguably has the best food in the world.
Appreciate 2
      06-23-2015, 09:02 AM   #31
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Enjoy Paris, I was just there last month. I stayed at InterContinental Paris Le Grand. Try the Ice Cream at the island, near Notre Dame! Best Ice Cream in Paris they told me, but I didn't have a chance to go!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 09:37 AM   #32
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
For dining, unless you have a specific thing you are after, my suggestion is to just go for a stroll in the 4th or 5th and stop in at any place that catches your eye. A great many of the best meals and best times I've had in Paris came from just picking a quaint neighborhood place and ordering something. Most of them I never even knew the names of them before or after dining there.
I usually rent an appt in the 5th or 6th near Luxembourg Gardens. Love it.

Also, visiting Le Procope (in the 6th) gives you a nice feeling of history.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant...de_France.html

Supposedly the oldest restaurant in Paris, founded in 1686, so 100 years older than the USA. Napoleon used the frequent the place. The ambience is a bit better than the food. I had the coq au vin, and enjoyed it. The locals seemed to mostly order the seafood platters.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2015, 10:22 AM   #33
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

Le Comptoir du relais is one of my favorite restaurants in Paris. It's located in the St. Germain des Pres neighborhood. The food is amazing, well priced and the atmosphere is great...lunch or dinner.

If you don't want to wait in line for the Louvre, hit up the Musee d'Orsey or musee de l'orangerie.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #34
Gstone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 GT350, '15 M4 sold

great stuff guys. I appreciate it all.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 10:46 AM   #35
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

Also, one other thing....and this should apply to any foreign country that you visit....ATTEMPT to learn a few basis phrases in the native tongue. It will go a long, long way in regards to the people that live in the country you are visiting. Waiters/waitresses will be appreciative that you've put in the effort.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 10:53 AM   #36
Gstone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 GT350, '15 M4 sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by other_evolved View Post
Also, one other thing....and this should apply to any foreign country that you visit....ATTEMPT to learn a few basis phrases in the native tongue. It will go a long, long way in regards to the people that live in the country you are visiting. Waiters/waitresses will be appreciative that you've put in the effort.
I absolutely agree. And it's fun to try.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 10:55 AM   #37
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

BTW, OP, I forgot to mention some things you may find helpful...

Religion:
  • August 15th is the Feast of the Assumption in the Roman Catholic faith. France is still a very Catholic country, and the Assumption is a holiday, so if you'll be there on that day, make sure whatever it is you want to do will be open for business.
Wine:
  • Caps and corks -- Get over the American distaste for screw on caps. In Paris/France, if you're considering at an inexpensive bottle of wine (€12 - €25) and have a choice between one with a screw cap and one with a cork, take the screw cap one if you aren't familiar with either.
  • Supermarkets -- The grocery store is your friend. Trust in the buyers at the supermarket to have only brought to their stores good bottles from good producers. If you are keen to buy wine to take home, I suggest you take a trip to Lavinia in La Defence. (Other branches are fine too, but the main store there will have a better range of choices.) You can also go to wine specialty shops, but from what I've seen, the selection isn't as broad and the prices aren't as low. The specialty shops are convenient, however; they're all over the place.
  • Restaurants -- I maybe once or twice in 10 years have ordered an AOC wine. Generally, I just go with a vin de pays or vin de table if I feel compelled to order a bottle. As often as not, I just order a pitcher/carafe. Also, the rose (rosay) is quite good. It's not the stuff most commonly found in U.S., which is to say, it's not sweet.

The main "guidance" is this: you're in France; the French make outstandingly good wine; drink French wine. Plus, it's cheaper than you'll find it anywhere else and it's really good. If your kids insist on "American waters" (aka Coke, 7-Up, Sprite, etc.) fine; they're kids, but French kids mostly just drink water and once in a while sip wine.

If you think you want a bottle and you intend to order an AOC wine, feel free to ask for a suggestion from the waiter or sommelier (if there is one) if you need to. I don't generally ask for suggestions on AOC wines because, frankly, I've yet to ever come by a bad one, and the types and regions are the same ones I'm used to seeing on French wines everywhere else in the world. That said, if the stuff you read on the wine list makes no sense to you, by all means, ask for input. The thing that makes waiters different from most waiters in U.S. is that waiters in France are required to be knowledgeable and give informed, intelligent input on things like food and wine pairings. Just mention a price range and you'll get a great suggestion.

Since you are traveling with children, it may be useful for you to know that far more wines in France are offered in half-bottles than one typically finds in U.S. If your palate feels the need for a "big," burgundy, but your pocketbook doesn't, that may be your solution. That said, it's France, and if nothing else, the French take wine very seriously. It's hard to find bad wine, even wine in a pitcher, in a French restaurant, which is why I rarely bother with AOC wines.
French:
Trust me, damn near everyone in Paris speaks English well enough to communicate with you. That said, there're no two ways about it, speaking French or at least trying to, goes a long way in Paris. If nothing else, saying hello/good morning (afternoon, whatever) and following in French with "do you speak English" will get you much better responses than will just beginning your discourse in English. "Thank you" and "goodbye" in French also are huge pluses.

None of that will make you a French speaker in anyone's eyes, but it will show you are attempting to respect their culture. If there's anything more important to the French than French wine, it's the French language, followed closely by French customs, one of which is drinking French wine.

So, overall, not being a fluent French speaker hasn't been much of a problem for me. There are a couple places, however, where it has. The most important: taxicabs. If there's any one thing that as a non-French speaking tourist I'd avoid, it'd be taking a taxi. It's not like the Black Cabs in London where you can rely on their taking you the most cost effective (for you) way. The short is that I just don't take taxis in Paris. I'll hire a private sedan if I have to go somewhere and a friend isn't driving, or I can't walk there, or I can t get there via the Metro.
Taxis:
You'll be out there by the Tower, so you'll probably have to deal with taxis at some point. I suggest checking the WWW for suggestions. One word to the wise, beware of the private limo drivers that may attempt to pick you up at the airport. Just don't get in one of those. It's illegal. Also, don't call for a cab; the meter starts when you call, not when you get in.

Another tip, arrange for a private sedan if you are arriving in Paris via the Gare du Nord train station. I wouldn't suggest this were it just you and your lady, for taking the train into and through the city is a great way to get into town, but with kids and another family, save yourself some stress and grief and book a car.

Water:
  • I'm sharing the following because for some reason, my American friends often express surprise, not uncommonly with a tiny bit of indignation, when they find themselves paying for water. It's not that they are cheap or anything -- although buying water or soda in a restaurant can easily add $10/day per person to one's spending -- it's just unexpected given that tap water arrives unbidden at every table in an American restaurant that has waiters. (Skip this if you've traveled elsewhere in Europe.)

When you go to a restaurant and order water, the waiter will presume you mean bottled water -- be it still water or sparkling water -- and that's what you'll receive unless you make a point to ask for tap water. Tap water is free and the law requires they provide it to you if you ask for it Any other water is not free, and any request for water (no matter your French skills or the waiter's English skills) other than the following will likely get you a bottle of water you'll pay for.
    • Je voudrais un verre d’eau, s’il vous plaît. -- May I have a glass of water, please? (tap)
    • Je voudrais une carafe d’eau, s’il vous plaît. -- May I have a pitcher of water, please? (tap)
    • Je voudrais une carafe d’eau, s’il vous plaît. -- May I have a glass of ice water, please? (tap)
Of course you may indeed want bottled water. If you do:
    • Je voudrais une bouteille d’eau, s’il vous plaît. -- May I have a bottle of water, please? -- If you don't quickly toss one of the following phrases after it, this will usually get you question: do you want flat/still water or sparkling water?
      • de l’eau gazeuse, s’il vous plaît. -- Sparkling water please.
      • de l’eau plat, s’il vous plaît. -- Still/flat water please.
One other thing that I forgot to mention: tipping. Every restaurant bill will have a line one it for service. Service isn't the same thing as gratuity. Service is the wage that is shared among all the people who contributed to serving you, and paying it isn't optional. Gratuity, tip, is whatever you leave in addition to the bill.

You are under no obligation to leave a gratuity. The thing is that leaving a few coins that sum to less than one euro is considered rude. Don't ask me why; I don't know why. My American sensibilities say "it's more than nothing" but that's not how it's seen there. Now if you know you'll never show up at the place again and the service really was sub par and you feel you want to make a point, leave less than a euro's worth of coins.

Under no circumstances, however, should you do that if the place is one of your local restaurants and there's any chance at all that you'll ever show up there again, even for so much as to ask directions, the time of day, or for a lousy napkin to wipe the nosebleed that just began as you walked by. The French aren't keen to be rude, in fact, I find them quite nice in general, but they can be if one is rude to them. Remember, they're Catholic. They'll go to confession, say a "Hail Mary" and never give it another thought. LOL

Cycling:
Bicycles are an excellent way to get around Paris. They may even be a better idea for you seeing as you'll have kids in tow. I'm such a "center of the city," walking kind of guy, and I stay in a flat in the 4th when I'm there, so I haven't done it, but it occurred to me yesterday that I've seen lots of tourists doing it, and it makes perfect sense, especially with you staying out there by the Tower.
I'm sure there are other good WWW references for biking in Paris, but those should give you what you need to figure out if you want to do it and give you some good ideas of other ways to see the city.

All the best.

P.S.
The saying may be "When in Rome,..." but I'd bet good money that the guy who coined that saying was French, or at least heavily French influenced because the axiom is so very fitting to visiting Paris.

Last edited by tony20009; 06-23-2015 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #38
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

One thing I always warn people about servers in Paris, these people are very, very professional, and take their jobs very serious. It is a very well paying, and unionized career there. It is not done by some college student trying to make a few bucks while they go to school.

With that, you will get very professional service, not the overly happy, in your face service you get in many countries, which I can not stand.

They also expect you to be an experienced customer. So, if you want something, ask, otherwise they will leave you completely alone, which is perfect. Usually all it takes to get a servers attention is a simple look in their direction, don't yell out "Hey Mister!" That will get you ignored for a long time.

And one of my biggest pet peeves. If you are at a restaurant, and talking loud enough for other people in the restaurant to hear you, you are going to be pissing off a lot of people, including the server.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 06-23-2015 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #39
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
I usually rent an appt in the 5th or 6th near Luxembourg Gardens. Love it.

Also, visiting Le Procope (in the 6th) gives you a nice feeling of history.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant...de_France.html

Supposedly the oldest restaurant in Paris, founded in 1686, so 100 years older than the USA. Napoleon used the frequent the place. The ambience is a bit better than the food. I had the coq au vin, and enjoyed it. The locals seemed to mostly order the seafood platters.
I may try to get there at some point. I'll be honest, I mostly eat at the restaurants close to my flat. I can tell you the name of them (there're some of the few small places that I do know the name of), but I don't know what the point of that would be. There're good, quite good, but every neighborhood has equally good places.

If you were to visit me in in my little neck of the 4th, we'd go eat at the place downstairs or across the street. Maybe we'd saunter out to Montorguil and pick something there.

But if you're going to Paris and staying in the 6th and not visiting me, I'm not going to suggest you haul ass all the way over to my little one block street off of Rue Montorgueil just to eat and then turn around and head back home. It's not as though there's much else to do there. (Well, there is a nudists' club a couple blocks over. One doesn't bump into that sort of thing too often, I guess. And once inside, I suppose one could say there's something to see. )

More importantly, howeer, you'd pass a good three dozen or more wonderful places just getting from just about anywhere to my little area. LOL It's a little different out by La Defense, but that's the business district. Unless one is using frequent guest hotel points, there's not much reason to stay there, or even go there, IMO, unless one happens upon a large and modern vacation rental in one of the skyscrapers.

(Sure, one might go see the Grand Arch and take in the view from the top of it, even look at the skyscrapers while your up there. But after that what else does a tourist need to do out there? Personally, I don't think the Grand Arch needs to rate high on a visitor's list of places to get to first.)

Once in a while (a couple times a year at most) I'll go to one of the
"ooh la la" world renowned places, but there again, nobody needs me to tell them about those places.

All the best.

Appreciate 1