F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Close call...
proTUNING Freaks

12-17-2013, 01:19 AM   #1
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Close call...

Well, I am fuming. Not at BMW, but at my detailer who applied the Opticoat on Thursday last week.

Why?

I've now done 500km and all has been good, except when I left the car park at 11:30 today, to visit a vendor. When I was on the freeway, I noticed a buffeting, flapping noise whenever I backed off the accelerator. Very quiet to begin with, but it gradually got louder. I described it to the dealer as it sounding like a helicopter taking off from the back seat.

I thought it sounded like the exhaust flapping whenever I backed off, or something.

Took a colleague for a drive, went to my next stop around the corner and then rang the dealer. They were very helpful, we discussed and he got a service guy to call me, which he did. We discussed and agreed that as there were no faults showing, it was safe to drive to them for them to check out.

Long story short, as I left the place to do that, I decided (for some reason, that I can't put a finger on) to stop and check the wheel nuts.

Yup.

One nut missing off left hand rear wheel and the security nut was loose to the fingers.

The detailer had removed and reinstalled all four wheels as part of the Opticoat process on the alloys. It would appear that he! or one of his two young guys,didn't do them up properly afterwards.

Not. Happy. Jan.

Currently waiting for Roadside Assist to come and tighten up the nuts, check the others and and then I will go to the dealer for a health check on the wheel and the hub, as discussed with them.

Let this be a lesson to you all...
      12-17-2013, 03:35 AM   #2
SimonB
Australia
Rep

So, the interim news is that 1 of the 5 nuts was totally missing, 2 of the remaining 4 were finger loose and the other was half a turn off being the proper tightness.

Needless to say, the detailer is aghast and terribly apologetic.

I am going to the dealer tomorrow, after most recent discussions, to get them to replace the missing wheel nut, but only after checking, thoroughly, the wheel and the hub for any damage. I guess they need to check the brake calipers and pads too?

I'm still fuming thinking about what could have happened whilst driving over 450km since Thu with loose wheel nuts. The other 3 wheels were fine.
      12-17-2013, 03:41 AM   #3
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
So, the interim news is that 1 of the 5 nuts was totally missing, 2 of the remaining 4 were finger loose and the other was half a turn off being the proper tightness.

I am going to the dealer tomorrow, after most recent discussions, to get them to replace the missing wheel nut, but only after checking, thoroughly, the wheel and the hub for any damage. I guess they need to check the brake calipers and pads too?

I'm still fuming thinking about what could have happened whilst driving over 450km since Thu with loose wheel nuts. The other 3 wheels were fine.
I can imagine how mad you are right now, but to put a silver lining on the cloud, you should be very grateful that you didn't rip the wheel off and trash the car.
Go out and buy a lottery ticket while your luck is still holding!!
      12-17-2013, 03:46 AM   #4
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
I can imagine how mad you are right now, but to put a silver lining on the cloud, you should be very grateful that you didn't rip the wheel off and trash the car.

Go out and buy a lottery ticket while your luck is still holding!!
Yes, it could have been quite messy, that's for sure. If the worst that comes from this that the detailer has to pay for a new wheel nut, we've both come out of this pretty well.

Anyway, I'm cracking open a drink!
      12-17-2013, 03:46 AM   #5
rjr058
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post

Very lucky Simon. Hate to think of possible consequences and someone would have taken a photo of stricken car and posted it on media.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport BSM

Shivers were going down my spine when I was reading your story, Simon.

Actually I think I threw up a little in my mouth.

Let's hope for no more drama.
      12-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #7
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i

I would've blew up at the clown and had him provide me free details once a year
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 05:47 AM   #8
SimonB
Australia
Rep

He knows how pissed I am. Everyone makes mistakes, it's how they handle them that counts.

If the worst that comes out of this is a replacement wheelnut, we're lucky.

We'll see what the report is tomorrow.
      12-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
waltwangcn
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Modern

Lucky you find out the issue quickly. Glad everything is still fine now. Since we used the same detailer on the same day, i've just check my car as well. Will definitely go to a tyre shop to get them all tighten again properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltwangcn
Lucky you find out the issue quickly. Glad everything is still fine now. Since we used the same detailer on the same day, i've just check my car as well. Will definitely go to a tyre shop to get them all tighten again properly.
Glad you saw this post :-). Yes, I would recommend getting them checked. I do think it was an isolated error though. Hopefully.