F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Interior Wrap Help
GetBMWParts

06-22-2018, 09:18 PM   #1
rayxi
researcher
Rep
Drives: '15 328i xDrive

Interior Wrap Help

Hi guys, I'm working through wrapping the interior trim with carbon fiber vinyl because I really hated the burl wood pattern. So far, I've had no issues with the dash pieces & iDrive trim piece. However, when it comes to the door handle trim pieces, I'm having a hard time getting it off due to fear or breaking the clips.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to get the trim off the door handles?

Btw, I know everyone likes photos. These are the completed pieces (forgot to take before photos).
Attached Images

06-22-2018, 09:29 PM   #2
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

You just have to place a flathead screwdriver in the lower notch on each handle, gently pull it so the lowest clips come out, and then gently dislodge it bottom to top with your fingers. You'll want to only pull it out about 1/4-1/2 inch until you get the top clips out, then pull the entire thing off from the top and there is a plastic hanger at the bottom.
      06-22-2018, 09:38 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Go get some plastic trim removal wedges, they sell them at Autozone etc. You want to use at least three, gradually inserting them to push the trim piece off as equally as possible over its full length. When it comes off some of the metal clips that hold it in place will stick to it, some will stick to the door pull. Use needle nose pliers to remove those on the door pull, insert them onto the trim where they belong, paying attention to their orientation.
Appreciate 1
rayxi40.00
      06-22-2018, 09:41 PM   #4
rayxi
researcher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
You just have to place a flathead screwdriver in the lower notch on each handle, gently pull it so the lowest clips come out, and then gently dislodge it bottom to top with your fingers. You'll want to only pull it out about 1/4-1/2 inch until you get the top clips out, then pull the entire thing off from the top and there is a plastic hanger at the bottom.
Thanks! Do I need to turn the flathead at all? I saw a DIY video on youtube that mentioned there is a metal hook of sorts at the bottom. I was trying to use a trim tool to jimmy at the bottom notch but the trim tool seems to be too large for the notch.
      06-22-2018, 09:43 PM   #5
rayxi
researcher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Go get some plastic trim removal wedges, they sell them at Autozone etc. You want to use at least three, gradually inserting them to push the trim piece off as equally as possible over its full length. When it comes off some of the metal clips that hold it in place will stick to it, some will stick to the door pull. Use needle nose pliers to remove those on the door pull, insert them onto the trim where they belong, paying attention to their orientation.
Thanks! I do have a set of trim tools. I have only attempted it with just one tool. I will give it a try with multiple and let you know if that does the trick.
      06-22-2018, 10:19 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Yeah, if you try prying it with only one tool it will only put pressure on one or two clips, so the rest will still hold tight. I don't remember exactly how many are in there but it's at least five.
Appreciate 1
rayxi40.00
      06-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #7
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayxi View Post
Hi guys, I'm working through wrapping the interior trim with carbon fiber vinyl because I really hated the burl wood pattern. So far, I've had no issues with the dash pieces & iDrive trim piece. However, when it comes to the door handle trim pieces, I'm having a hard time getting it off due to fear or breaking the clips.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to get the trim off the door handles?

Btw, I know everyone likes photos. These are the completed pieces (forgot to take before photos).
THIS is the one and only real wrapping thread, find here lots of instructions, tips, hinds and other stuff. The search function is sometimes your friend

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
rayxi40.00
      06-23-2018, 09:03 AM   #8
rayxi
researcher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayxi View Post

THIS is the one and only real wrapping thread, find here lots of instructions, tips, hinds and other stuff. The search function is sometimes your friend
Thanks for the link. I did try to search other threads. I probably wasn't using the right combo of key words. Appreciate it.

The multiple trim tools advice did the trick. I was able to get them off this morning.
      06-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #9
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Not to be a Debbie downer but your patterns go the wrong way on the left vent and center console respective to the large center trim you did.
      06-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #10
rayxi
researcher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
Not to be a Debbie downer but your patterns go the wrong way on the left vent and center console respective to the large center trim you did.
No worries. Thanks for pointing that out. That's what I get for not waiting until the weekend to do it right. I'll have to redo the large dash piece again some day since that's the easiest piece to remove.
      06-28-2018, 05:55 PM   #11
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

pulling the handles out and putting them back in the right place with all clips secure is probably the biggest PITA,

expect raw fingers and frustration.. you will eventually get it.
      06-28-2018, 10:23 PM   #12
rayxi
researcher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoon_209 View Post
pulling the handles out and putting them back in the right place with all clips secure is probably the biggest PITA,

expect raw fingers and frustration.. you will eventually get it.
haha yes, my fingers were definitely raw. i was mostly very nervous about breaking the clips but they were pretty strong.
      06-29-2018, 06:26 PM   #13
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Looks good.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 1
rayxi40.00