F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Audi Morton Grove - experience
Extreme Powerhouse

12-16-2017, 02:51 PM   #1
izaazk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Remove please

Delete
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by izaazk View Post
So.... I bought a 2012 335i used from them at 49k miles....

Day one when I got home found out I have a rim leak....

Went back to have it repaired... they did so.... and then out my tires out of balance ... 1 day later rim leak returned....

Went back 3rd time.... they said they fixed all of the issues ... I drive out the lot and flat tire again ... same one...

Aside from all this... they sold me a car with horribly warped rotors... causing premature wear on the calipers...

They don't want to take responsibility for the brakes...

4th time at the same dealer same issue 2 days and haven't heard back.....

Can I do anything in this situation...?? I'm getting frustrated
Depends. Was it sold AS IS? Or with some type of dealer warranty? If they sold it as is, and you didn't get an independent mechanic's inspection, you are pretty much at their mercy as to what they will agree to fix.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 05:54 PM   #3
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Not to be a dick, but if the rotors were that warped, it would have immediately showed up when you took it for a test drive....
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 06:06 PM   #4
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Moral of the story - don't buy a used BMW from an Audi dealer.

A few things: did you not drive the car beforehand and notice that the car had 'horribly warped rotors'? This is something one can usually deduce from a test drive. Two, they are wheels, not 'rims'. What the hell is a 'rim leak'?

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 1
tex26702412.50
      12-16-2017, 07:11 PM   #5
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by izaazk View Post
Aside from all this... they sold me a car with horribly warped rotors... causing premature wear on the calipers...

They don't want to take responsibility for the brakes...
I'll play the Devil's advocate, on this one..

Rotors rarely warp, it's most likely brake pad deposition, on the rotors themselves. Rotors simply don't "warp", like the old mechanics used to say they did. There are several tests out there to prove this theory, so I'll leave that out there.

To suggest that a warped rotor caused premature wear on a caliper, makes absolutely no sense, though, no offence. How do you know there is a caliper issue, did they provide a diagnostic report? Is this an M-Sport Brambo brake system, or standard 1-piston sliding caliper? Reason I ask, is, the 4 pot Brembo's are almost indestructible. The single piston style caliper can start to "seize" due to lack of lubrication on the sliders, causing poor braking performance and premature PAD wear, but is still fully serviceable, and able to be "repaired".

When it comes to "safety" most jurisdictions regulate safety based on minimal specs of remaining materials. So if your rotors are within OE spec, for thickness, along with your pads, they can be considered "safe" from an inspection standpoint, performance and feel notwithstanding, of course. Buying a non-cert BMW, from Audi, with upwards of 50 thousand miles on it, I honestly wouldn't expect much... The best time to resolve these concerns is to have them include new brakes, tires, etc with the sale deal, to avoid near future frustrations and potential early ownership repairs..

I learned this early in the car buying game, my first car was a pre-owned high km VW, and yea, it sucked Parts were cheap, though
      12-18-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

Just replace. Go to a place you trust and diagnose if it's the wheel, tire, or valve stem and replace the part needed. You can try to get the seller to cover the cost of parts, but even then we are not talking so much - maybe $300 ball park if there is something wrong with the wheel.

A used car bought as-is is just that. They may want to satisfy you for good will purposes, but they don't have to do anything really.

As for the brakes, same, have a third party inspect and if the pads and rotors are within spec, just buy new pads and factory BMW rotors and replace them yourself and move on. Not too expensive either. If they are out of spec bring that to the attention of the seller and see what they want to do to satisfy you.

I have no idea what is meany by warped rotors causing premature wear on calipers. Calipers don't wear. They either clamp and move freely without leaking or they don't. Only pads and rotors "wear".

BMWs can be tough on rotors. I have had issues with brakes on my BMWs with aftermarket rotors, even Brembo brand and proper pad bedding procedure. Now I only use BMW parts for the rotor and have never had any issues at all.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 10:01 AM   #7
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

You bought a used car. The answer is no.
Appreciate 0