F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > TPMS issue?
Extreme Powerhouse

12-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #23
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariodoceye View Post
Hi. I'm getting my 320d tomorrow with stock 414 17inch wheels with run flats. I already have seen 19s that I want to put on. Can I transfer the TPMS to the new rims and reset them on iDrive?
it will only work if the TPMS was originally from the F30 model, which we carry now, and all of the older BMW models as well. F30 tpms is RDE017
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #24
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianx View Post
30psi is close to the cutoff for low pressure warning, you may want to run about 33-34psi, since temp will make the pressure change +/-1-2 psi
Does the system actually have a preset low pressure cut off at 30psi?

It makes sense that there would be some level at which the system triggers "too low", I just wonder if it really is 30psi.

From my understanding the reason we can set/reset the TPMS is because drivers can set the air pressure as they need it for either high sustained speed travel, "average" speed travel, or perhaps adjusting it to handling or ride differences. Then, based on the pressure one puts in they reset the TPMS to that psi, which now becomes the set point.
If the pressure drops by a certain psi, then the warning is triggered.
I'm not sure how much drop there needs to be before the warning?
Is it 3psi, 5psi, or more?

So, if you set the TPMS at 32psi, for whatever reason, and it's 70F outside, then the ambient temps drops to 50F, there will be a 2psi drop in cold tire pressure. Normally I don't think that's enough to trigger a warning.
But if the built in nominal is 30F, then there will be a warning.

Interesting that you brought up a nominal preset point for a warning.
Did you read that info somewhere? Could you post a link if you have or remember it?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0