F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Got Rear Ended - New Bumper
Extreme Powerhouse

08-24-2017, 02:46 AM   #1
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Got Rear Ended - New Bumper

So leaving Costco this evening some guy was messing with his cell phone and rear ended me. It was going pretty slow, so no obvious damage, but punched a hole right through my rear bumper. Looked like a license plate screw was sticking out a bit.

Photos are below and would like some opinions. Seems apparent to me that the rear bumper will have to be replaced. I'll be taking it to a BMW certified body shop that has done good work for me before. Is there anything else I should have looked at to make sure is not damaged?

Also considering getting an M Sport bumper for the replacement (mine is a Sport line, I'll cover the difference between a normal bumper and the M Sport). Will have to check with the body shop for their price, but any recommendations on where to get one myself would be appreciated. Have seen prices online from $650-$1000 for the M Sport.

Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Let your shop deal with it. Just tell them you want an OEM one.

His insurance should take care of it. Of course with you paying the difference. Heck, you may get a little more from their insurance just to keep you from filing an injury claim.
      08-24-2017, 11:04 AM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Do you own the car or lease it? Maybe check with your dealer but if leased I'd just leave it and save the money for the next car. I don't think that would cause a charge at turn in.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 11:15 AM   #4
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
If you are going with the M sport bumper then you also need the front one also.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #5
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

This bumper will simply be sanded and repaired. You would likely pay a couple hundred extra to a few hundred extra to get a new bumper fully painted. Cost depends on the shop of course
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 03:59 PM   #6
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post
So leaving Costco this evening some guy was messing with his cell phone and rear ended me. It was going pretty slow, so no obvious damage, but punched a hole right through my rear bumper. Looked like a license plate screw was sticking out a bit.

Photos are below and would like some opinions. Seems apparent to me that the rear bumper will have to be replaced. I'll be taking it to a BMW certified body shop that has done good work for me before. Is there anything else I should have looked at to make sure is not damaged?

Also considering getting an M Sport bumper for the replacement (mine is a Sport line, I'll cover the difference between a normal bumper and the M Sport). Will have to check with the body shop for their price, but any recommendations on where to get one myself would be appreciated. Have seen prices online from $650-$1000 for the M Sport.

Thanks.
Been going through this (fighting other persons Insurance Company) over the last 45 days.

Do you have lane change warning or park assist as that will most likely determine how repaired.

As for online purchase of M Bumper, they can be found for as cheap as $525. However, No one will ship any Bumper anything but freight.

Add that you are in Hawaii, that will be an issue.

Most likely it will end up cheaper at BMW Dealer for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Do you own the car or lease it? Maybe check with your dealer but if leased I'd just leave it and save the money for the next car. I don't think that would cause a charge at turn in.
It most definitely would result in a charge for repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
This bumper will simply be sanded and repaired. You would likely pay a couple hundred extra to a few hundred extra to get a new bumper fully painted. Cost depends on the shop of course
Will not be sanded and repaired if car has Lane Change Warning (at least if repair shop knows what they are doing and follows BMW Instructions).

Last edited by GCinFLA; 08-24-2017 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 11:28 PM   #7
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Thanks for the replies.

The car has all the extras, including active cruise control, lane assist, parking assist, etc. I am a little worried about the sensors. Wasn’t able to test them out today, but will check it out tomorrow.

This car is a purchase that I plan to keep for quite a while. I’ll be asking for a new bumper since I don’t want a clay fill in it. The other driver would rather cut a check than go through insurance. Normally I wouldn’t do that, but in this case it should be ok. I verified his Insurance card, ID, address, and have pictures of him and his car. Will be sure to get a check that clears first (probably a money order) before I get the repairs done. If anything goes wrong, then I will claim insurance. My insurance company (USAA) is pretty good and will cover everything while they claim from his insurance.

Zamboni, you are right, will need to get both. Can’t really spend much money atm so guess I’ll just get the regular bumper.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 11:48 PM   #8
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

The car has all the extras, including active cruise control, lane assist, parking assist, etc. I am a little worried about the sensors. Wasn’t able to test them out today, but will check it out tomorrow.

This car is a purchase that I plan to keep for quite a while. I’ll be asking for a new bumper since I don’t want a clay fill in it. The other driver would rather cut a check than go through insurance. Normally I wouldn’t do that, but in this case it should be ok. I verified his Insurance card, ID, address, and have pictures of him and his car. Will be sure to get a check that clears first (probably a money order) before I get the repairs done. If anything goes wrong, then I will claim insurance. My insurance company (USAA) is pretty good and will cover everything while they claim from his insurance.

Zamboni, you are right, will need to get both. Can’t really spend much money atm so guess I’ll just get the regular bumper.
With Lane Change warning, no filler or adding additional paint layers within a 10cm radius of the sensors. A new bumper is required.

If anyone questions that (including adjuster or repair shop) they need to check BMW 51 12 157 on Replacing rear bumper panel, updated 8/10/2016.

Because of this stringent spec with sensor operation, non-OEM Bumpers should be avoided as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by GCinFLA; 08-25-2017 at 12:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 01:56 AM   #9
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Any reputable body shop will replace this bumper. If it's repaired, it will be very hard to get it perfect without any waves. Getting it repaired is something some ghetto body shops would do for people who want to make money off the insurance payout.

My advice is to get 3 quotes from good body shops, they will all be in the $1000-$1500 range. Then get it fixed right at one of them. If you want to get the M-sport rear bumper, you don't have to get the side skirts or the front bumper (right away anyway). I doubt the price will be different much if at all. Just make sure you're clear on what you want to do with the body shop. You might even consider getting one of those aftermarket M sport bumpers so you'll end up saving money on parts. Supposedly those are pretty close to OEM fitment and they will come with all the parts you need to do the conversion with.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 02:44 AM   #10
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
My advice is to get 3 quotes from good body shops, they will all be in the $1000-$1500 range. Then get it fixed right at one of them. If you want to get the M-sport rear bumper, you don't have to get the side skirts or the front bumper (right away anyway). I doubt the price will be different much if at all. Just make sure you're clear on what you want to do with the body shop.
Mobster1983

I am not in a high cost metropolitan area and mine came out to just under $1900 with an OEM M Bumper at a BMW Certified Collision Center going by the hours listed in the tech guide.

At BMWNA MSRP in CONUS you are at $775 for the Sportsline Bumper, PDC Mounts and adhesives. M Bumper is $813 OR ROUGHLY $40 more. Collision centers never discount parts to Insurance Companies. If you have cash and good relations at Dealer you might get a small discount on the bumper, however as noted, in Hawaii and not CONUS, you might still pay a premium for the part.

Considering City Bus Drivers in Oahu went on strike 15 years ago because starting salary was only $68k , your total costs might well run over $2k. Listening to someone on thread would have left you $1k in the hole.

Quote:
You might even consider getting one of those aftermarket M sport bumpers so you'll end up saving money on parts. Supposedly those are pretty close to OEM fitment and they will come with all the parts you need to do the conversion with.
Mobster1983

And when your sensors and car aren't working correctly because you went with a non-OEM Bumper with a different compound and thickness so the sensors are not working properly, as you are complaining on the forums, be sure to thank upsidedownfunnel for the advice.

Not to mention the shipping charges to get it to Hawaii. Considering bumpers are not shipped Ground, only freight....and their is no ground to Hawaii...and freight from GetBMWParts in DC to Florida was ~$250, I am sure freight to Hawaii would be out of this world.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 12:02 PM   #11
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinFLA View Post
Mobster1983

I am not in a high cost metropolitan area and mine came out to just under $1900 with an OEM M Bumper at a BMW Certified Collision Center going by the hours listed in the tech guide.

At BMWNA MSRP in CONUS you are at $775 for the Sportsline Bumper, PDC Mounts and adhesives. M Bumper is $813 OR ROUGHLY $40 more. Collision centers never discount parts to Insurance Companies. If you have cash and good relations at Dealer you might get a small discount on the bumper, however as noted, in Hawaii and not CONUS, you might still pay a premium for the part.

Considering City Bus Drivers in Oahu went on strike 15 years ago because starting salary was only $68k , your total costs might well run over $2k. Listening to someone on thread would have left you $1k in the hole.

Mobster1983

And when your sensors and car aren't working correctly because you went with a non-OEM Bumper with a different compound and thickness so the sensors are not working properly, as you are complaining on the forums, be sure to thank upsidedownfunnel for the advice.

Not to mention the shipping charges to get it to Hawaii. Considering bumpers are not shipped Ground, only freight....and their is no ground to Hawaii...and freight from GetBMWParts in DC to Florida was ~$250, I am sure freight to Hawaii would be out of this world.
Do you have personal experience with PDC issues? Has anyone complained about PDC issues when using one of those Selma/Good Go bumpers made of polypropylene? The parking sensors are mounted in a hole flush with the bumper surface. You are simply making up issues and I have no idea why. Please, find some examples of people using a high quality aftermarket bumper and having issues with PDC, I'm all ears.

Also if your insurance company got billed $1900 I don't know what to tell you. Areas like Los Angeles can often be cheaper for body work because of competition and high volume. If you live in some rural area, then there may not be many certified collision centers to choose from and they may not have enough business to stay afloat without raping the insurance company on charges.

I've been rear ended more than a few times in domestic, German, and Japanese cars. They almost always cost just under $1500. But seeing that OP is in Hawaii, there's a good chance it will be more expensive for them. Everything in Hawaii costs much more.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 12:36 PM   #12
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you have personal experience with PDC issues? Has anyone complained about PDC issues when using one of those Selma/Good Go bumpers made of polypropylene? The parking sensors are mounted in a hole flush with the bumper surface. You are simply making up issues and I have no idea why. Please, find some examples of people using a high quality aftermarket bumper and having issues with PDC, I'm all ears.

Also if your insurance company got billed $1900 I don't know what to tell you. Areas like Los Angeles can often be cheaper for body work because of competition and high volume. If you live in some rural area, then there may not be many certified collision centers to choose from and they may not have enough business to stay afloat without raping the insurance company on charges.

I've been rear ended more than a few times in domestic, German, and Japanese cars. They almost always cost just under $1500. But seeing that OP is in Hawaii, there's a good chance it will be more expensive for them. Everything in Hawaii costs much more.
Clearly you have not read the entire thread - as well as documentation.
Appreciate 0