F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Pwg vs ewg
ARMA SPEED

10-18-2017, 02:40 PM   #89
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemigo13 View Post
I see no pwg turbo options for 435i in any of bmw parts catalogues. That's it, if bmw made preproduction models with pwg turbos - would be interesting to enter its vin and see what turbo and ECU (pwg is mevd17.2.6 while ewg is mevd17.2.g) part catalogue would offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadar View Post
But you?re also the one spreading incorrect info because lack of experience or seeing something physically just because you didn?t find any parts catalogues listing a PWG 435i and in fact that unicorn does exist. So which shoe are you wearing, just asking don?t take it the wrong way friend.
Lol it?s out there man but I can?t nor will I try to convince you otherwise what I?ve seen or numerous confirmations from others that were baffled like I was. You seem to be pretty set on what a catalogue says like it has no mistakes in it or any other written form of books or writings.

If someone reads this with a PWG 435i perhaps they can throw up a vin for you.
      10-18-2017, 05:55 PM   #90
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Guys, what’s being said is EWG is faster than piggybacked PWG on stock hardware, not FBO.
      10-19-2017, 02:17 AM   #91
enemigo13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 LCI 440xi citrineblack

It would be interesting to get 435 pwg vin and check it, I'm not trying convince anybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadar View Post
Lol it?s out there man but I can?t nor will I try to convince you otherwise what I?ve seen or numerous confirmations from others that were baffled like I was. You seem to be pretty set on what a catalogue says like it has no mistakes in it or any other written form of books or writings.

If someone reads this with a PWG 435i perhaps they can throw up a vin for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 02:34 AM   #92
enemigo13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 LCI 440xi citrineblack

don't know about piggybacks, I'm not using them at all, I just don't think it's a proper way to tune the engine. Again, not trying to convince anyone, it's just my personal opinion...
here is my 335xi acceleration, still with stock pwg turbo and factory catted downpipe, only hardware mod is chargepipe (stock was blown),sorry for shaky video :

so if anybody could show _stock_ 335i ewg/435i accelerating faster 0-160km/h (0-100mph) I would happy to tell that I was wrong. From what I've seen and tested stock 335/435 ewg does it in ~2 seconds more.
Either way, I will upgrade to stage1 turbo for sure (will target to 1.0 bar or 14.5 psi @ 6000rpm) as boost drop near redline is not acceptable for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Guys, what’s being said is EWG is faster than piggybacked PWG on stock hardware, not FBO.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #93
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Here's why ewg is faster.

When you go from a roll or once you get up to speed, you spend 99% of the time above 4500-5k rpm. PWG falls off a cliff after 5k rpm and ewg starts falling after 5800-6k rpm. That extra power band is huge for top end which pwg is lacking.
Can anyone dig up stock PWG versus EWG dynos? Would be interesting to compare the power curve like mentioned above..

Mike
Appreciate 1
Taskmaster2465.00
      10-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #94
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

Quote:
Does mppk count? When I had just mppk i was pulling on a guy with a 14 activehybrid, not by much but win is win.
      10-19-2017, 10:12 AM   #95
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
Quote:
Does mppk count? When I had just mppk i was pulling on a guy with a 14 activehybrid, not by much but win is win.
Imo No because the MPPK utilizes a different map from bmw that called for like 2 more PSi of boost. I want to say completely stock PWG and EWG utilizes the same boost map but naturally the EWG both a lightly bigger turbo pulls a way top end regardless.
      03-28-2019, 01:40 PM   #96
mcintoshf30
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
It's basically where you add power and make it.

PWG tuned will make more power low and midish range, but barely any up top due to the limitations of the stock turbo.

EWG hold a lot more boost up top safely and more efficiently due to the electronic wastegate and slightly bigger turbo.

I believe someone made a little chart of TQ percentage increase and decrease for EWG VS PWG. It seems PWG makes more TQ low range to midish. And EWG makes loses a bit of TQ low range but makes up for it mid and top end.

Which is why a stock EWG will walk away from PWG tuned everytime. On a roll, you spend 99% of the time above 4.5-5k RPM, and basically that's where the PWG starts to fall off a cliff, where the EWG is still in it's power band till 5800-6k rpm and beyond if it's tuned correctly.

A pure stage 1 would equal PWG, and a Pure stage 2 would be ridiculously better for PWG as it makes up for all it's downsides.

But again this is comparing pump gas (91 and 93 octane only) once you add meth and ethanol, it's different, but EWG will always come out more dominant.

#regretmyPWG
#itsokaycausePS2
So I'm about to pull the trigger on a F30 that has PWG. I will go Stage 1, then FBO, then either PS2 or borg warner. I likely won't do E85 since there aren't that many stations near me. I'd consider meth injection but I'd set it up so it only sprays at WOT. But should I look for an F30 with EWG or will I be fine for my needs?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 01:43 PM   #97
mcintoshf30
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My take on 3.5 and 4 inches turbine outlet difference.

Back pressure will be a bit different and there’re a lot of advantages to take from less back pressure with turbocharged motor. As a matter of fact, BMW even uses 4.5 on B58 turbo. While catback pipe that is downstream of downpipe has always been 3 inches. It makes sense as exhaust cools down and shrink as it travels and needs a smaller diameter to keep velocity.

Here is the thing: Far too many PS2 on the road are being pushed far beyond what it is designed for. But there is only so much PS2 can flow. In squeezing last bit power of it, meth, ethanol and a bunch of other dirty tricks play more important roles than half an inch outlet difference.

Probably less back pressure out of 4 inches will net you 15-25whp depends on boost, but PS2 power varies from 400 to 550whp depends on setup, making that difference look insignificant.
Yeah PS2 is great but I want max reliability so I think i'm going to go with speed tech's kit or someone's similar who uses borg warner. There are a couple sizes but you can make 500-600whp reliably with a borg warner compared to PS2.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 02:29 PM   #98
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipmc View Post
So I'm about to pull the trigger on a F30 that has PWG. I will go Stage 1, then FBO, then either PS2 or borg warner. I likely won't do E85 since there aren't that many stations near me. I'd consider meth injection but I'd set it up so it only sprays at WOT. But should I look for an F30 with EWG or will I be fine for my needs?

Find one with a EWG if you can afford it. A EWG N55 with just the MPPK makes more power and more importantly, has a broader and wider power curve than a PWG N55 with Pure Stage 1. A EWG N55 with a more standard Stage 1 93 octane flash makes more power than a PWG N55 with Pure Stage 2.

The EWG N55 is just better in every measurement of power and driveability and tuning.
      03-28-2019, 03:18 PM   #99
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:
I would caution against the PWG since im starting to see more threads with either ignition or fueling issues. Also, the EWG makes more power!

Quote:
Yeah PS2 is great but I want max reliability so I think i'm going to go with speed tech's kit or someone's similar who uses borg warner. There are a couple sizes but you can make 500-600whp reliably with a borg warner compared to PS2.
If your looking for reliability, you'd be better off with PS2 since its been in circulation longer than speed tech or others, in respect to the N55 motor.

But that is just my opinion.

Good luck my friend
      03-29-2019, 03:38 PM   #100
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Find one with a EWG if you can afford it. A EWG N55 with just the MPPK makes more power and more importantly, has a broader and wider power curve than a PWG N55 with Pure Stage 1. A EWG N55 with a more standard Stage 1 93 octane flash makes more power than a PWG N55 with Pure Stage 2.

The EWG N55 is just better in every measurement of power and driveability and tuning.
Better yet, might as well look for B58 instead.
B58 > N55 EWG > N55 PWG

bootmod3 and MHD are around the corner for the B58 too.
Appreciate 1
Taskmaster2465.00
      03-30-2019, 05:37 AM   #101
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:
Quote:

The EWG does not have the power potential of a Pure Stg2 - far from! The EWG and Pure Stg1 are comparable.
      03-30-2019, 08:23 AM   #102
bdragon46
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i

Quote:
A EWG N55 with a more standard Stage 1 93 octane flash makes more power than a PWG N55 with Pure Stage 2.
Hope this was a typo of some sort because you can't really believe that. They're both the same motor with one having a slightly smaller turbo and the wastegates are controlled differently
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 10:07 PM   #103
mcintoshf30
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
Quote:
I would caution against the PWG since im starting to see more threads with either ignition or fueling issues. Also, the EWG makes more power!

Quote:
If your looking for reliability, you'd be better off with PS2 since its been in circulation longer than speed tech or others, in respect to the N55 motor.

Good luck my friend
Well I can't find any EWG examples near me that are also specced how I want. In comparison, I found the perfectly specced F30 in estoril blue with m performance package and exhaust. It's a great price too, under 20K. I want to wait for a EWG but I feel it's going to be a lot more expensive especially one with M performance stuff. How bad were the PWG issues that you've heard about?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 06:27 AM   #104
mcintoshf30
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Good luck my friend
Well I can't find any EWG examples near me that are also specced how I want. In comparison, I found the perfectly specced F30 in estoril blue with m performance package and exhaust. It's a great price too, under 20K. I want to wait for a EWG but I feel it's going to be a lot more expensive especially one with M performance stuff. How bad were the PWG issues that you've heard about?
So I found a 2014 so EWG with same miles actually but it's black sapphire metallic and not estoril blue :/ but EWG plus a shit ton more tech, HUD, and still m sport, AND it cost over 1K less... should I go for the EWG?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 07:59 AM   #105
bdragon46
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i

Quote:
So I found a 2014 so EWG with same miles actually but it's black sapphire metallic and not estoril blue :/ but EWG plus a shit ton more tech, HUD, and still m sport, AND it cost over 1K less... should I go for the EWG?
It you're happy with the features/options, definitely
Appreciate 0