F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Messages showing
proTUNING Freaks

03-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
matt69
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Sport

Messages showing

Hello! I need help. I've read all the threads and I cannot get my car to display my texts.

I have an iPhone 5 with iOS 6.1.3. Bluetooth is turned on with notifications enabled for my car. Messages has notifications turned on as well. My car is synced and connected displaying my contacts. When I get a message nothing shows up under messages.

I just took delivery of a brand new 328i sport line with tech package and bmw apps.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
bimmermeupscoty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Mineral Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt69 View Post
Hello! I need help. I've read all the threads and I cannot get my car to display my texts.

I have an iPhone 5 with iOS 6.1.3. Bluetooth is turned on with notifications enabled for my car. Messages has notifications turned on as well. My car is synced and connected displaying my contacts. When I get a message nothing shows up under messages.

I just took delivery of a brand new 328i sport line with tech package and bmw apps.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
It has been frustrating for lots of people, incuding myself. I love the technology available in the car and have worked to set up the configuration to take advantage of everything I can. However, if I had to prioritize which was important, receiving my messages would close to the top of the list. In my business I have to keep up with emails.

Messaging was one of the last things I got to work. I started with an Android and gave up and switched to an iPhone 5. I loved my Droid 4 because of the physical keyboard, but I am glad I switched for every other reason.

Anyway, I had read all the threads and knew that iPhone users were having success, although their emails showed up under the Texts Inbox. There were multiple tricks to get it to work. These include:

1. Make sure emails are turned on in notification (I know you said Messages are on, but not sure whether you meant texts or emails- both need to be turned on)

2. In the emails notification settings, alternate the number of notifications to show at one time between 5 and 10. for some reason that kickstarts the emails to show up, although most threads say this is no longer necessary with iOS 6.1.3.

3. Stop the email app from running on the iPhone- double tap the home button and get the running apps to show up at the bottom, scroll to the email app and click the red dash button. The app will stop but also restart itself. This seems to to be the current solution for 6.1.3.

4. I performed the jailbreak on 6.1.2 (haven't updated to 6.1.3 because it work override my jailbreak and I am not sure that 6.1.3 will work). Then installed the BTNotificationEnabler app and now emails work all the time automatically without having to perform any tricks. They still show up in the Texts Inbox, however.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by bimmermeupscoty; 03-28-2013 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
Smurfs
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i (F30) & M340i (G20)

Not sure I'll be able to help but do you have the enhanced Bluetooth Pkg? I was able to get my Android to work after playing around with it for 30min. Make sure that when you enable it in idrive, you are there to accept the message on your iphone which gives permission to the idrive. This is on top of your orginal bluetooth access approval. I hope that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I have tried all of the above and still can not see messages (iPhone 4s)...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
bimmermeupscoty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
What is your set up? I connect my iPhone by Bluetooth, and I do not connect it by the USB connection.

Make sure the Bluetooth configuration options in iDrivde has the Phone, Audio and Office boxes all checked. Make sure that the phone is properly paired. If so, does the "Office" box show up (has three Inboxes: Texts, Emails and MyInfo)?

Remember that the iDrive only gets emails that come in after the connection is established, so no matter how many unread emails you have on the phone, only emails that come in after iDrive connects will show up in the iDrive's Office Inbox. And that (for some reason) emails show up in the Text Inbox rather than the Email Inbox.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermeupscoty
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
What is your set up? I connect my iPhone by Bluetooth, and I do not connect it by the USB connection.

Make sure the Bluetooth configuration options in iDrivde has the Phone, Audio and Office boxes all checked. Make sure that the phone is properly paired. If so, does the "Office" box show up (has three Inboxes: Texts, Emails and MyInfo)?

Remember that the iDrive only gets emails that come in after the connection is established, so no matter how many unread emails you have on the phone, only emails that come in after iDrive connects will show up in the iDrive's Office Inbox. And that (for some reason) emails show up in the Text Inbox rather than the Email Inbox.
Thanks, you solved it! The key word being NEW msgs.

I had not fully closed and reopened mail (my prior issue). I did that this morning and thought all of my msgs would load!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
nikneo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport

could someone enlighten me on how to get this to work with an android phone? I see my text messages in office but i can't figure out how to get emails on there...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
bimmermeupscoty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

s
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikneo View Post
could someone enlighten me on how to get this to work with an android phone? I see my text messages in office but i can't figure out how to get emails on there...
It appears to be dependant on which model of Android phone you have. I tried everything and could never get my Droid 4 to work with email transfer. Apparently, those with the newest version of the OS (Jelley Bean) are having success. it is not out for the Droid 4 yet, so that is why I switched to the iPhone.

Last edited by bimmermeupscoty; 03-25-2013 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
nikneo
Private First Class
Rep

i jacked the thread...? seems pretty on topic to me... the only difference is the phone make
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
nikneo
Private First Class
Rep

im running jelly bean on my s3 btw. Annoying that everything else works out the box but this doesn't
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 12:08 AM   #11
matt69
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermeupscoty
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt69 View Post

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
It has been frustrating for lots of people, incuding myself. I love the technology available in the car and have worked to set up the configuration to take advantage of everything I can. However, if I had to prioritize which was important, receiving my messages would close to the top of the list. In my business I have to keep up with emails.

Messaging was one of the last things I got to work. I started with an Android and gave up and switched to an iPhone 5. I loved my Droid 4 because of the physical keyboard, but I am glad I switched for every other reason.

Anyway, I had read all the threads and knew that iPhone users were having success, although their emails showed up under the texts Inbox. Thre were multiple tricks to get it to work. These included:

1. Make sure emails are turned on in notification (I know you say Messages are on, but not sure whether you meant texts or emails- both have to be turned on)

2. In emails' notification settings, alternate the number of notifications to show at one time between 5 and 10. for some reason that kickstarted the emails to show up, although most threads say this is not necessary with 6.1.3.

3. Stop the email app from running- double tap the home button and get the running apps to show up at the bottom, scroll to the email app and click the red dash button. The app will stop but also restart itself. This seems to to be the current solution for 6.1.3.

4. I performed the jailbreak on 6.1.2 (haven't updated to 6.1.3 because it work override my jailbreak and I am not sure that 6.1.3 will work). Installed the BTNotificationEnabler app and now emails work all the time automatically without having to perform any tricks. They still show up in the texts Inbox, however.

Hope this helps.
Thanks so much. You solved my issue. My idrive didn't have office enabled on my iPhone under Bluetooth. Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #12
bimmermeupscoty
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermeupscoty View Post

Audio doesnt need to be checked. That doesnt have any effect on message push.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #14
nick1212
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 335i Sport 6MT - Gone soon

I cant get messages or emails displayed from by Blackberry 9900, have to check to see if my Samsung works...
I checked all settings on the BB but still wont work. Any input guys?? I tried to go thru the forum as well but cant seem to get an answer.

Tks

Previous - 2013 335i Sport Line Sapphire Black 6MT with Premium Package, Extended BT, BMW Assist & Lane Departure Warning System, M Sport Suspension & VSS
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #15
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1212 View Post
I cant get messages or emails displayed from by Blackberry 9900, have to check to see if my Samsung works...
I checked all settings on the BB but still wont work. Any input guys?? I tried to go thru the forum as well but cant seem to get an answer.

Tks
You need to go into the bluetooth connections through the options screen. Once there open the menu and select MAP options, once in there just check the boxes for the email accounts and text messages you want to appear.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #16
nick1212
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 335i Sport 6MT - Gone soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHCCubs View Post
You need to go into the bluetooth connections through the options screen. Once there open the menu and select MAP options, once in there just check the boxes for the email accounts and text messages you want to appear.
Thanks man will try it out.

Previous - 2013 335i Sport Line Sapphire Black 6MT with Premium Package, Extended BT, BMW Assist & Lane Departure Warning System, M Sport Suspension & VSS
Appreciate 0