F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ER F30 N55 Charge Pipe Install - Install Guide and Suggestions!
Studio RSR

05-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #23
Zel335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335I Sport

I just finished doing the install on the ER Charge pipe, so I figured I would explain a few things about the install.

First step 7 wasn't hard at all, that is the factory charge pipe removal from the intercooler. I say this, because the instructions said it was tricky.

Second I did not remove that coolant line off the frame. I was unable to remove the clips from the frame so I just skipped that step. Also I pulled the charge pipe through the top and not the bottom as the instructions say to do. It did require that I removed the MAP sensor from the charge pipe prior to removal of the charge pipe itself.

When trying to get it through the top I did need to go underneath the car to push the pipe out of the things blocking it. However, it is very easy to pull through the top if you take your time and worm it through.

The hardest part for me was the lower charge pipe installation. It was a pain to fit into the silicon hose, it was a pain to get it into the intercooler. I had to take the upper pipe off the throttle body in order to get it to fit on the intercooler correctly.

Final thoughts, I would recommend a friend to help with this. It can really help to line things up with the intercooler. Also the directions have all the correct tools listed, except a 4mm allen wrench for the new screws for the Map Sensor.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #24
mr_kay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel335 View Post
I just finished doing the install on the ER Charge pipe, so I figured I would explain a few things about the install.

First step 7 wasn't hard at all, that is the factory charge pipe removal from the intercooler. I say this, because the instructions said it was tricky.

Second I did not remove that coolant line off the frame. I was unable to remove the clips from the frame so I just skipped that step. Also I pulled the charge pipe through the top and not the bottom as the instructions say to do. It did require that I removed the MAP sensor from the charge pipe prior to removal of the charge pipe itself.

When trying to get it through the top I did need to go underneath the car to push the pipe out of the things blocking it. However, it is very easy to pull through the top if you take your time and worm it through.

The hardest part for me was the lower charge pipe installation. It was a pain to fit into the silicon hose, it was a pain to get it into the intercooler. I had to take the upper pipe off the throttle body in order to get it to fit on the intercooler correctly.

Final thoughts, I would recommend a friend to help with this. It can really help to line things up with the intercooler. Also the directions have all the correct tools listed, except a 4mm allen wrench for the new screws for the Map Sensor.
+1 on the having a friend help. I did mine yesterday and definitely could not have done it alone...Needed someone to help finesse the OEM pipe as I took it out and to help put the new one in.

I did not remove the intercooler or that coolant line to install the charge pipe...don't think think it was necessary for my car (RWD). I had to put the upper pipe in but didn't clip it in place, then I had to put the lower pipe in place and clip it, then clip in the upper pipe to the throttle body. This allowed me to maneuver both pipes into the silicon hose easily with out dropping the IC at all. If you remove the intake, your hand can also easily reach down to remove the lower IC clips...this is what i ended up doing for that black clip.

It should also be noted that the OEM black clip you remove on the lower part that connects to the IC is not used for the ER pipe.

A little WD-40 or glass cleaner also works great for lubricating the silicon hose so you can slide it over. The time estimate is more or less correct. I installed my DP and CP in around 4 hours.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 09:14 AM   #25
CJ0920
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Worked on replacing my charge pipe last night, since the OEM charge pipe broke and blew off the throttle body after moving to map 2 two days prior. The OEM charge pipe was missing the clamp and O-ring on the throttle body side.

Anyone know the part number I need for the throttle body side of the charge pipe?

Thanks!
      06-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #26
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ0920 View Post
Worked on replacing my charge pipe last night, since the OEM charge pipe broke and blew off the throttle body after moving to map 2 two days prior. The OEM charge pipe was missing the clamp and O-ring on the throttle body side.

Anyone know the part number I need for the throttle body side of the charge pipe?

Thanks!
We have the C-clips available on our site, and the o-ring you can grab from the dealer.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 02:25 PM   #27
TypeOne
Enthuisiast
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

35k miles on my car and the intake pipe blew off today. I'm going to talk to the dealer about replacing them with metal units to feel them out. I really don't want to worry about having to fix this.
      07-26-2016, 02:37 PM   #28
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeOne View Post
35k miles on my car and the intake pipe blew off today. I'm going to talk to the dealer about replacing them with metal units to feel them out. I really don't want to worry about having to fix this.
We've never heard of a dealer having an issue with an aftermarket charge pipe. Just get it in black so it fits in nicely with the engine

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 03:23 PM   #29
TypeOne
Enthuisiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
We've never heard of a dealer having an issue with an aftermarket charge pipe. Just get it in black so it fits in nicely with the engine

Mike
Yea, it seems like a no brainer to me but they may still be sissys about it.
      08-07-2016, 02:25 PM   #30
NWest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel335 View Post

+1
Having done this last weekend, I'd definitely recommend a friend to help with this installation. Start to finish, took less than 2hrs.

I'd also agree that the lower charge pipe installation to the intercooler was the toughest part. I had to remove the IC so I could fit the lower clip easily.

I also skipped step 8.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #31
TypeOne
Enthuisiast
Rep

Dealer replaced my cracked charge pipe without any fuss. The service adviser specifically mentioned that he had not seen this issue before. Yea... right. hahahaha
      08-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #32
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeOne View Post
Dealer replaced my cracked charge pipe without any fuss. The service adviser specifically mentioned that he had not seen this issue before. Yea... right. hahahaha
Maybe he got confused and hadn't seen one that specific day LOL

Mike
Appreciate 1
cjack29.50
      08-08-2016, 01:15 PM   #33
TypeOne
Enthuisiast
Rep

Quote:
Maybe he got confused and hadn't seen one that specific day LOL

Mike
      09-01-2016, 12:44 PM   #34
dennysonr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive

Quote:
I was asked to start a new thread for the ER F30 Charge Pipe. I am attaching the official install guide, and anybody who wishes to post any tips or tricks or advice please feel free...

Mike
Same instructions for xi model. ?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 02:09 PM   #35
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennysonr View Post
Same instructions for xi model. ?
yes, pretty much the same.. XI has slightly different routing but same couplers, etc..

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 02:41 PM   #36
dennysonr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive

Quote:
yes, pretty much the same.. XI has slightly different routing but same couplers, etc..

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 02:18 PM   #37
asujosh1
Rep
Drives: metallic black 335i

Thanks for posting this thread and the DIY, I was able to get the chargepipe installed in a matter of a little over an hour. I didn't remove the intercooler and was able to easily pull it out the top, and installing the bottom section from up above before installing the bellmouth.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 07:38 AM   #38
Navy435
Rep
Drives: '14 435xi w/MT

I did this install yesterday, and it was a pain!! Most of that seems to be due to having x-drive, since this install seems a lot easier on a RWD vehicle. I have some tips and questions to ask from others who have done the install. Questions first. How do you get the retainer clips reinstalled on the intercooler connection? I put the clips on, but I made a few attempts to reinstall the retainer clips and didn't even get close. ER's directions just say reverse steps on install, so I am assuming for max reliability that includes the retainer clips. Also, for the x-drive, who feels confident with their lower t-clamp? I finally found an angle from the bottom that I was able to tighten the t-clamp, but it is right on the edge of the flex connecter and at a slight angle. Optest was sat for road test, but I would definitely like to make it a little more reliable.

For tips and tricks. If you have the money and desire, do both TIC and Intercooler to Manifold chargepipes and Intercooler all at the same time. You are going to have the intercooler out so now is the time to get all these parts installed. I am kicking myself, because I will have to drop my new intercooler back out in order to install the TIC chargepipe and DV+ at a later time. For the black retainer clips, I found that it was easier to push it a little forward then take a small screw driver and pry the visible side up. This removed the clip without snapping any of the small plastic pieces on it. If you have an xdrive, try pulling the stock chargepipe out from the top, not the bottom. I was able to pull it out from the bottom, but it seems a lot easier going the other way...realized that when it was too late.

In my opinion, the hardest part of the whole process is installing the new chargepipe, securing it to the intercooler and tightening the lower t-clamp. Once again, this is made harder for x-drive models. The directions tell you to start by securing the flex connecter to the upper chargepipe and to install to the throttle body. In the next step, you will then need to connect the lower section AND install the lower t-clamp. Don't be a moron like me and install the lower t-clamp before you secure the upper section. I would put it into position and tighten it snug with just enough give to push the lower section in. This will save a lot of headache. I found the best position to not interfere with surrounding wires, steering shaft, etc. was facing down and slightly towards the driver front wheel. This allowed room to get an extension and pivot up to tighten it.

When installing the lower chargepipe to the intercooler, be sure to put the clip on right before you get to the groove in your intercooler. I was dumb and put it on right away and could not get the pipe down to the groove. After much frustration and cursing and being convinced that ER didn't make the pipe long enough, I realize that the clip had slipped back into the notch where it ultimately rests making it drag along the intercooler connection. I pulled the chargepipe back, got the clip out, and I was able to easily slide it down into place.

If I were to do this install again with these lessons learned, I could cut a good 2 hours off the install time. I hope this helps, and feel free to ask any questions.
EBII33533.50
      11-27-2016, 11:19 PM   #39
Sandmansc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 ///M3

ER CP Installed. 3 hours.
Problem.

Note: Could be that my mechanic cracked the part.

But.

I left the shop and shortly after the engine ran rough and I have an engine light on. Also. My turbo appears to be out as the car feels like my old 07' 328i.

I went straight back and he showed me that a hose has popped off and is cracked. He's not saying he didn't do it but the hose connected to the intake to the CP is cracked in half.

I'm headed to see if I can find the part tomorrow.

Anyone know what this part is officially called ? Part #?

Thanks!

- 8 UR V8 -

www.AppalachianDrive.Club

Last edited by Sandmansc; 11-27-2016 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: Adding info
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 11:24 AM   #40
Sandmansc
Private
United_States
Rep

The part is called "sucking jet pump with lines"

It's 93.00

The closest one is in Florida at a dealer so I'm guessing this isn't common ?

The upper CP connection to this hose is angled so that there is a lot of tension on this hose and I'm guessing that's why it snapped.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 11:27 AM   #41
Sandmansc
Private
United_States
Rep

Here are pics
Attached Images

- 8 UR V8 -

www.AppalachianDrive.Club
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 12:22 PM   #42
flipporabasta
BMW n00b
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Melbourne Red

Garage List
when installing boostpipe and chargepipe is cutting away plastic from other pieces necessary? Sorry for lifting an pretty old thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #43
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipporabasta View Post
when installing boostpipe and chargepipe is cutting away plastic from other pieces necessary? Sorry for lifting an pretty old thread.
No cutting is necessary.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 12:50 PM   #44
flipporabasta
BMW n00b
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Melbourne Red

Garage List
Thanks. Heard otherwise in another forum. Though they were refering to a 2 series.
Appreciate 0