F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New member, new purchase F30.. 2-3k to spend. Pimp my ride
Studio RSR

12-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #23
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Non-RFT Continental ExtremeContact Sport - not only the best bang for the buck maximum performance summer street tire, but also one of the most consistent.

All these other mods listed in this thread are fine... but what's the point of aero bits and tunes if you can't put that power to the road and your car handles like dog-shit?

Tires are always first, especially on the F30.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 3
scostu1619.50
Orpo25.50
      12-13-2017, 11:37 PM   #24
outspiral
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Non-RFT Continental ExtremeContact Sport - not only the best bang for the buck maximum performance summer street tire, but also one of the most consistent.

All these other mods listed in this thread are fine... but what's the point of aero bits and tunes if you can't put that power to the road and your car handles like dog-shit?

Tires are always first, especially on the F30.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
Even the best run-flat tire is dynamically disadvantaged to a go-flat, almost entirely because of over-stiff sidewalls. This adversely affects performance in more than one way, the most perceivable difference is how harsh they make the ride. Instead of road imperfections being dampened by the tire, they are pushed into the suspension and then cabin, harshly enough sometimes where the suspension feels like it is "crashing". This phenomenon adversely affects damping control, on top of making you lose the sense of adhesion from all of the noise being transmitted through the steering. On a smooth road, this is not the case, but when it gets rough it is hard to miss, and really knocks confidence. This is a scenario I experienced every day living in the Northeast.

Another downside to RFTs is their lack of tread durability, particularly when placed in performance driving situations, they simply do not hold up nearly as well to high cornering forces, especially once they are hot. Autocrossing at Lime Rock this past June made this extremely apparent. First run they were cold which reduced the grip and had it push a lot, expected as much. Second run they were warmer and performed quite well. On the tail end of my third run I was already running into heat dissipation issues, and then the grip started to fall off a cliff. After my fourth run I noticed the sidewalls were completely scrubbed and there were small chunks missing from the interior portions of tread. After my fifth run, there were large chunks missing, and I had the car towed for fear of the tire belt failing on my way home. The following Monday I had four brand new PS4S fitted, put a can of fix-a-flat in my trunk, and renewed my AAA Gold. All of these things cost less than the price of installing another set of OE run-flats.

Good riddance to those RFTs. It finally felt like I was driving a Luxury vehicle and not the Flintstones family car. It will make a world of difference for someone with my driving habits and location. For some people, I guess they make sense, but in literally every single scenario and metric outside of tire failure, they are disadvantaged to a go-flat. As for implications on your warranty, there are none if you change your wheels or tires. OE wheels are a good choice, just have to make sure to get the offset correct. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is, at best, trying to sell you some run-flats.
All good info. It's good to know some of the bumps are from the RF. What's the ps4s?

I'm in the process of finding new 19" wheels/tires now so I can ditch the run flats (although I need all season).

Any idea what's the best way to correct the body roll and 'jumpy' rear end I'm noticing on hard turns with bumps? I am hoping there are cheap stiffer lowering springs so I can kill 2 birds with one stone. Do you know if they make any for xdrive and if it will take care of that issue?

Last edited by outspiral; 12-13-2017 at 11:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 01:45 AM   #25
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by outspiral View Post
What's the ps4s?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...sport-4s-test/

I have a set of Michelin PS4S on my F80. They are EXCELLENT. However, after two days on the track pushing some Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires to their very limits and pretty much burning completely through them, I am really impressed with them as well, and they are much more affordable! Honestly, I will probably go to these tires when my MPS4S are done.

Quote:
Any idea what's the best way to correct the body roll and 'jumpy' rear end I'm noticing on hard turns with bumps? I am hoping there are cheap stiffer lowering springs so I can kill 2 birds with one stone. Do you know if they make any for xdrive and if it will take care of that issue?

2 causes: Worn out shocks, or improperly tuned shocks for your springs.

Your shocks job is to dampen spring rebound, and if they aren't tuned for stiffer springs, then they can't dampen as well. In this case you need softer springs or shocks tuned for the stiffer springs.

If they are worn out, then they can't dampen as well. In this case you need to replace your shocks.

On a 2014 your shocks should still be okay, but if they have been abused or the previous owner had lowering springs, they might be on the way out. Since you are on stock springs, I'll bet this is the case.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 2
Orpo25.50
      12-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #26
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
What's the ps4s?
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...sport-4s-test/

I have a set of Michelin PS4S on my F80. They are EXCELLENT. However, after two days on the track pushing some Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires to their very limits and pretty much burning completely through them, I am really impressed with them as well, and they are much more affordable! Honestly, I will probably go to these tires when my MPS4S are done.

Quote:

2 causes: Worn out shocks, or improperly tuned shocks for your springs.

Your shocks job is to dampen spring rebound, and if they aren't tuned for stiffer springs, then they can't dampen as well. In this case you need softer springs or shocks tuned for the stiffer springs.

If they are worn out, then they can't dampen as well. In this case you need to replace your shocks.

On a 2014 your shocks should still be okay, but if they have been abused or the previous owner had lowering springs, they might be on the way out. Since you are on stock springs, I'll bet this is the case.

The PS4S are very experiensive, no denying that. Thankfully I run 18's and the price on those is a whole lot more reasonable than the larger sizes, but OP wants 19 so those Contis sound like the right buy.

When I bought my car I was very dissapointed with the rear end between the wallowing, squatting, and diving it did; it sounds like he's experiencing that now. I replaced my rear shocks with Bilstein B6 and it made a world of difference. The OE shocks had 0 rebound with 55k on them, made sense why the rear control was so poor. Before dumping those and the RFTs I really struggled to get the power down, no body control and hardly any grip. Thankfully that is no longer the case.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 09:54 PM   #27
outspiral
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for all the info

One question, about to pick up 343m replica wheels 19x9, 19x9.5

Should I run

1. 235/35 front and 265/30 rear

or

2. 245/40 and 275/35

I like the smaller sidewall and slightly lower price in option 1, however circumference difference slightly lower with 2nd option and also wheel gap will be slightly better. I do plan to lower it eventually though
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 06:13 PM   #28
pompous
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Thanks for all the info

One question, about to pick up 343m replica wheels 19x9, 19x9.5

Should I run

1. 235/35 front and 265/30 rear

or

2. 245/40 and 275/35

I like the smaller sidewall and slightly lower price in option 1, however circumference difference slightly lower with 2nd option and also wheel gap will be slightly better. I do plan to lower it eventually though
Me personally would not do the 235/35/19 x 265/30/19 tires.

I tried exactly that and it made me sick to my stomach to see how much of a gap there was between my fender and wheel. I ended up returning (exchanging) the tires for 235/40/19 & 265/35/19 and couldn’t be happier.
Btw...like others have suggested, I went with the Continental Extreme tires and again, they got it right. I just wish I would have seeked out the advice of this board prior to that fiasco. G’luck and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 06:31 PM   #29
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

This is a cheap mod.....

Bimmercode app iOS/Android......very easy to use.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1385799
      12-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #30
miticosport1968
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i

you can change the rims
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 10:27 PM   #31
outspiral
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompous View Post
Me personally would not do the 235/35/19 x 265/30/19 tires.

I tried exactly that and it made me sick to my stomach to see how much of a gap there was between my fender and wheel. I ended up returning (exchanging) the tires for 235/40/19 & 265/35/19 and couldn’t be happier.
Btw...like others have suggested, I went with the Continental Extreme tires and again, they got it right. I just wish I would have seeked out the advice of this board prior to that fiasco. G’luck and enjoy!
Nice just seeing this now I went with 275/35 and 245/40. Install comes friday. As far as wheel gap I plan to install either dinan or h&r springs. I'll need to search around for some pics of what each looks like with xdrive models. Its .75 vs 1.5" drop
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 10:14 AM   #32
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

12-28-2017, 11:09 AM   #33
outspiral
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
how do you figure when nothing has been done to the car yet... its a stock black 335i msport. Thread is about what mods are recommended for under 3k
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 04:32 PM   #34
outspiral
Enlisted Member
Rep

Got the new replica 343m shoes, ride quality is night and day
Attached Images

Appreciate 1